Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Sector Archimedes. A location in the far reaches of the Centaurus Arm of Segmentum Ultima. Archimedes is funny, seeing as it has a Sector designation without ever having been part of the Imperium of Man. Brief contact was made with the Sector during the Great Crusade, and an expedition Fleet containing Emperor's Children and Ultramarines were sent to bring it into the fold. Shortly after the Horus Heresy broke out, and around the same time a perfect storm of warp storms, black holes, and space-time anomalies opened up around the Sector, making travel all but impossible.

An area of unknown space that has never known the light of the Emperor. Records dating back to the Dark Age of Technology speak of planets rich in resources and the center of technology, but these records have not been confirmed; not to mention what damage the Age of Strife may have caused.

And so Sector Archimedes has remained for ten thousand years; until now.

An Exploration Fleet on the other side of the galaxy in Segmentum Pacificus had located a stable warp gate, a piece of ancient technology of unknown origin allowing safe travel between two points in the warp. A survey probe was sent through and came back. The Astrogational data it contained verified that the warp gate's exit is in the area of space known as Sector Archimedes, inside the impenetrable wall of anomalies.

Word quickly spread, and your vessel was one of the first to make it to the Mechanicus instillation springing up around the ancient device. Using the authority of your warrant, you demanded access to this untapped region of space.

Too bad for you that something goes wrong during the voyage, and you find yourself on the other side, the sister gate in Sector Archimedes destroyed by your passing.

You are trapped in wild space, with no hope of any assistance, with planets never ruled by the Imperium of man.

Inspirational Music

Okay, welcome to my most recent attempt to run a Rogue Trader game using Fantasy Flight Game's rule system. However, I want to try and run a game using Discord and Roll20. I'm in a few games using these systems, and it has made me want to run a game myself. The goal is to have a game inspired by stranded sci-fi tales like Lost in Space, Mass Effect Andromeda, and Battlestar Galactica, where you are stuck in first contact scenarios, but have to rely on your wits and limited resources (at first).

The game still takes place in the 40k universe, so a lot of the standard factions like Chaos, Necrons, Orks, Eldar, etc will be present, but in ways different than seen in the galaxy at large. You will also be dealing with people with no understanding of who the Emperor is, and with no ability to back up your threats of the Imperium at large or leverage your resources in the Imperium. You are truly alone.

So logistics out of the way:

-I am looking at running the game once a month.
-I will be running it in the evenings on weeknights. The day of the week is not set yet, and open to discussion. It would likely be Monday Through Thursday. I am not sure yet if it will be a set day (the first Tuesday of the month) or if instead we would have it be a floating day, essentially setting the day of each game day as we go.
-I am U.S. Central Time, which is GMT-5. I would be thinking of running the game between 6-11 p.m. CST which is 11 p.m.-4 a.m. GMT. I understand this is going to count out a lot of Europe goons, and I apologize.

-Roll Everything using orokos, game name: Where No Imperial Has Gone Before. Roll 10 drop one for stats.
-Advanced starting stuff from Into the Storm allowed.
-Follow the origin path the "Trials and Travails" row being a free row, meaning that you can use any of the trials and trevails, but you still need to follow the origin path. Meaning if you sub "the hand of war" with "dark Voyage" you still would need to pick from the next row as if you had picked "The hand of war"
-Starting EXP levels and acquisitions
-Starting ship will likely be done the first session, but you're likely going to have 0 profit factor when all is said and done, since you're literally stuck with no aid in a remote part of the galaxy.

Recruit will be open for an indeterminate time. I first have to see if there is enough interest/availability.

Werix fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Reserved for OOC stuff like house rules

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Axqu posted:

Wednesdays are my only guaranteed day off so if the day you pick is a Wednesday I'll totally make someone for this.

Wednesday is a likely the choice. My dumb rear end decided to do community theater again, and if rehearsal is anything like the last play I was in, it was Monday, Tuesday, Thursdays, so Wednesdays would likely be clear. I will know more once the director gets all her parts filled and gets the schedule done.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

JT Jag posted:

So, while I am familiar with Rogue Trader, I've never played it, and in fact I've never played much of any proper tabletop despite many attempts otherwise. I'd like to try this out, but it'd be a teaching experience and I might need help making my character. Up to you, DM.

We were all new once, and everyone here is good people. I can help ya, though everyone here can also pitch in.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Azhais posted:

You used to be able to, but it doesn't look like it's available at drivethrurpg anymore (probably because fantasyflight lost the license and games workshop hates its customer base)

That is right hosed. That's why I grabbed as much as I could from the FFG winter sale.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

chin up everything sucks posted:

Read the OP Eclectic Tastes, starting PF is 0.

EclecticTastes posted:

He said likely, I prefer to go in with concrete information, but let's assume that holds steady, that's at most a 30 for scale, and it doesn't really pan out. Problem solved.

Let me be specific here. You will start with 90 ship points with which to create your starting vessel because you will have a 0 profit factor, since your money and riches mean nothing and cannot be accessed here beyond the stars.

professor_curly posted:

Nah, your first Acquisition is free. I guess I didn't ask, but essentially any single item up to Extremely Rare (-30 in a market with 100,000 people, which is what I was assuming) or more common you can just get. It's independent of profit factor.

page 34 says everyone gets one item with an acquisition modifier of +0. I am taking single item literally, so you essentially get one item of common quality of extremely rare or more common (+30 single item scale, -30 from extremely rare=0). Even with the +10 for a poor quality, you cannot get something near unique.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

JT Jag posted:

If I'm reading things right I think I could get a best-quality meltagun with my acquisition

That would be real dirty

Nope. Melta gun is rare, which is -10. Single item is +30 for a +20 mod. Then best quality gives a -30, for a total of -10, which is not +0(-10+-30+30=-10). Could do a good quality.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

professor_curly posted:

Do we want to hash out our ship choices here?

If you want, but I was probably going to save that for the first part of the first session, since going through all the myriad of ship options over forums posts can be tedious. Usually in the past I've just given the players a ship to avoid the headache.

thatbastardken posted:

might as well

Or ...

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Okay, I'm going to keep recruit open until Friday, then I'll make picks. So far based on feedback I am going to have the game on Wednesdays since that received the most positive indication.

Next is to determine the schedule. We can either:

1. Pick a set day, i.e. always the first or last or third, etc Wednesday of the month.
2. Keep it more flexible and look at the calendar at the end of each session and pick the best Wednesday for the following month.

Since we only will play once a month, I do hope to run for the whole 6-11 time slot if possible. Though if it ends up being less that's fine too.

If we opt for the first Wednesday of the month, I don't think I'll have time to prepare for a session right proper, so if we play May 3rd it might be limited to just ship building.

one last noteI will be experimenting with actually using endeavors for profit factor gain. If I end up hating it I'll dump the system, but I think the structure will help in a situation where you're literally starting from scratch. I want the game to be more free form and player driven, as you explore, interact with, and exploit this sector.

The ultimate goal would be to return home, unless you abandon that to become sector despot.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

JT Jag posted:

How about those of us who are available meet up next Wednesday to throw the ship together, do a bit of intro stuff, maybe hash out character relationships, and then we do our first proper session on like the 24th of May

Easy to say for the person that doesn't have to plan the damned thing. I wanted once a month so that way I have enough time to prepare stuff.

Okay, to get some damned GM leadership in play here, I'm going to say we're going to do a fixed schedule. Since no one seems to have any issues with Wednesdays outside of May, then we're going to do The first Wednesday each month, starting May 3rd, with May 3rd basically being just ship building. If you get picked and can't make that May 3rd date, then sorry, you better hope those that do make it don't do horrible ship choices.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Okay, here are the final picks:

Dachshundofdoom as Cedric Wolde, Astropath
Thatbastardken as Adelaide Obeywan-Closeau, Rogue Trader
Professor_curly as Magos-Explorator Varsen 133 "Lee", explorator
JT Jag as Jack Nathanial, arch-militant
Chin up everything sucks as Ivan 'Brand' Skevano, Missionary
Wiegieman as Tacito Coronada, Void Master

This was hard to narrow down, I wanted to take no more than six, and didn't think I would get enough interest. I'm excited that I had eight completed apps. It was a tough choice but thank you for apping Eclectic tastes and mikedawson.

For those of you that did make it, first game session will be this Wednesday, May 3rd, at 6:00 CST. It is my hope to have games between 6 and 10 normally. However, this first session is going to be limited to designing your ship and introductions of your characters, and setting your plan of action in the immediate aftermath of being stranded.Mostly because I haven't had enough time to really start to prepare the game world, and knowing your initial direction will help me plan for June's game.

In the meantime, start thinking on ship, proposals, you'll have 90 ship points. Also begin planning how your character is going to propose the ship and crew handle this new situation. What should the priorities be?
lastly, everyone post in here your general impression of your shipmates, and any history, good or ill, you have with each other. Assume you've served together awhile, if you want to.

I'll post closer to the game with the exact roll20 game, but in the meantime don't forget to go to roll20.net and set up an account if you haven't yet.

Discord server is here. We will be using the "Nerdy Voice Rpin'" voice channel.

Werix fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 29, 2017

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Chin up is west coast with you. we can start an hour later at 7, that's fine, unless it causes a huge issue for anyone else. I know ken is from kangaroo land.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
That scribe was jettisoned out an airlock and the recording error fixed, though since those forms have 8 carbon copies, one may have gotten through the cracks.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Okay, remember, we're starting at 7:00 p.m. CST tomorrow. this should take you to the game.

I will be creating a GMPC Navigator just to have one. Tomorrow will be all about ship creation, as well as importing your characters into the sheets in the game engine.

See you tomorrow.

Werix fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 3, 2017

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

wiegieman posted:

That's a bad link Werix, it says not authorized.

fixed.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Okay. Still don't know yet if i will have rehearsal on June 7th, but unless and until I find out, game is still on for then. in the Meantime, I have been working on trying to form an Endeavor for you all to have. Seeing as you are currently with zero profit factor, the endeavor could be about trying to set up your own colony world, trying to find civilization and set up trade, maybe trying to find someone wanting to use your ship's military might, etc.

We can finalize during the session, but I want to put some ideas out there right now to discuss. I would imagine the first Endeavor would be a Greater Endeavor worth 3-4 points because man, you guys need to build something up.

Exploration and Exploitation:
An Endeavor of this type would involve trying to set yourselves up as your own little fiefdom. First you'd need to find some sort of planet to exploit or settle. Then you'd need to acquire the equipment like hab shelters and the warm bodies to man it. Unless you find a planet that is already inhabited. Think of this as maybe setting up the seat of power for your dynasty, or at least the first outpost.

Wheeling and Dealing.
Maybe the easier way to try and establish yourselves is to find what passes for civilization around here and get involved in their economies. First you'd need to find a few inhabited worlds. Discover what goods they need and sell. Chart stable warp routes, and then begin to get the supplies to trade. You're broke, so you won't have start up capital, so you might have to do something to get those first few loads of supplies.

Walk softly, and carry a big cruiser
You've got a flipping war ship, may as well use it! This would involve finding civilization, offering your services as a hired gun, and then going out and doing that Mercenary thing. Could be rather straight forward, unless you try to dig into your employers and targets to see if they're the right folks.

Also, I'd love for a volunteer to get the ship all stated out based on our choices and post the sheet here. Thanks.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

I believe our initial decision was to try and establish a colony somewhere that could act as a base for us, since we don't know if human civilization has survived out here.

You would still need stuff for buildings. And warm bodies, unless you're going to leave crew behind. You had planned to have supply ships follow you through, so you don't have any of that stuff.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Okay finally got my rehearsal schedule and I don't have rehearsal that night.

However, I forgot tribal elections are June 6th, and certification is June 7th. Certification could be done in a couple hours, or could go into the evening.

So just in case, I want to know availability June 17 in case we need it as a fallback date.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

JT Jag posted:

Saturday evenings in general aren't great for me.

Whoops, meant the 14th, the following week.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Reminder that the session is still tentatively set for 6 p.m. CST tomorrow, contingent on how certification of election stuff goes. If it looks like we might have to postpone until next week, I'll post here tomorrow afternoon when I know for sure.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

You mean 7pm CST, right? Same time as we started the last game?

Sure, 7 is better. Time has no meaning anymore.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Game is for sure happening tonight. Work stuff got done without a hitch, and I went home early. so everyone be ready at about 7:00 p.m. CST tonight. If there is enough interest and I can keep ad libbing poo poo/Warp travel goes sideways, we will likely go to 10:00 p.m.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Sorry for less than 24 hour notice, but there won't be a game tonight. Between work, personal stuff, and the July 4th Holiday, I've not had any chance to prepare anything for tonight. The only way I could run the game is if I improvised everything, and I'd rather not improvise myself into a corner.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Haven't had much time to prepare anything, maybe I will tomorrow, but I'm not going to let that stop me from hosting Wednesday, even if I have to ad lib everything!

How does 6:00 CST work for everyone Wednesday? I can do later, but likely not earlier than that.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Definitely no prep time, so hopefully your jaunt through the warp creates a big distraction!

We will be on at 6, barring some big delay at work or when I stop at the store on my way home.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Just checking to see who is all still available for tomorrow, about 6:00 CST. I should have time tonight to do ACTUAL PREP WORK! So it won't be as seat of the pants as it has been.

Likely going to work in space combat into this session, as a heads up(And good time eater). I hope to use that ship building program to throw some NPC ships together, since RT has a severe lack of pre statted NPC ships I find.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

wiegieman posted:

Do we know if our rogue trader is showing up, or should I make a rogue trader?

If we don't hear from Ken today confirming his appearance, feel free to make us a Captain Kirk Captain Sisko.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

JT Jag posted:

I'm directly in the path of the latest loving hurricane, and while I don't think I'll be evacuating tomorrow, (the thing is projected to hit my area on Saturday) I might be busy with frantic prep work? I'll be there if I can, though!

Oh poo poo that's right. I went to law school where you're at, and I'm seeing law school friends going crazy doing prep on Facebook. Without you, (and assuming Ken is out) that would leave me with 3 players, since chins up dropped last month.

While I could run the game with just three folks, is everyone okay with moving the game to next Wednesday the 13th? I'd feel kinda bad playing the game knowing that JT Jag is stuck in the hellhole of Florida while it is even worse than usual.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Alright, we'll go ahead next Wednesday the 13th.

Stay safe there in Florida JT Jag.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Hey JT, my peeps from law school said Jacksonville got flooded really bad by Irma. Let me know if you'll be able to play Wednesday or will be doing clean-up/no power.

If you can't, then I'll likely just push the game to next month.

Wiegieman, feel free to make your rogue trader.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Sounds good. Just keep us in the loop and stay safe.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
good to hear. Guess I'll have to do all the prep work tonight I neglected to do last week!

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Oh, We'll start tomorrow at 7CST. I have been super neglecting yard work, so I need to get some of that done after work.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Oh poo poo. Tomorrow is already the first Wednesday of the month already. Checking to see if everyone is still good to go for tomorrow. Looking at a later start time of 7 tomorrow since I have errands to run after work.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Reminder to self to review planetary bombardment rules during session prep tonight.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Yeah, so this past weekend I was busy with Halloween things, and well, tomorrow is Halloween itself. So this is my way of saying I won't have anything prepped for Wednesday, so this month's session is pushed to Wednesday November 8th.

Everyone stay safe during the Skeleton wars!

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Okay. So work is going to have me out of town at a training this Wednesday. Tried to tell the Attorney General I have nerd games, but she didn't care.

So I am looking at Monday November 13th as the replacement time. If this does not work let me know. Given my schedule with the Thanksgiving holiday thus month, if the 13th doesn't work, we will likely have to put it off until December.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Reminder, game is tonight. Due to a combination of potentially needing to stay late for work and having to feed myself I think we will push the start time back to 7 p.m. and go from around 7-10, if that works for everyone.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
So a little note here. I occasionally do community theater, and I just got offered a part in their up coming play.

First rehearsal is next Monday, and I won't know the full schedule until I get there. The show is end of January, so our game for the next couple of months may be impacted.

If the schedule is every Monday and Thursday we're good, if they have Wednesday as rehearsal night we'll have to move the game this month and January.

I'll let you know more next Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Werix posted:

So a little note here. I occasionally do community theater, and I just got offered a part in their up coming play.

First rehearsal is next Monday, and I won't know the full schedule until I get there. The show is end of January, so our game for the next couple of months may be impacted.

If the schedule is every Monday and Thursday we're good, if they have Wednesday as rehearsal night we'll have to move the game this month and January.

I'll let you know more next Monday.

So thanks to middle school concert the first rehearsal is pushed to tomorrow night. Given that, I'm going to push this week's game to next week so I'll have some time to work on things, and to know for sure what night will work. If Wednesday is rehearsal free i will try to schedule it then, Watch this space tomorrow night for the reschedule date.