Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«54 »
NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I hope I'm not the only person who is constantly confused by at least some of the references in each riff. I figure they're mostly just comments on movies or TV shows I never saw as well as past current events I've forgotten about. Sometimes I'll Google it in hopes of finding out what it means.

But one that really mystifies me is in Independence Day at the start of the climax with the counterattack. General guy says don't fire until the package has been delivered and Kevin says "Wait, break off the engagement. We've just learned the old penny in the jar thing IS true."

I can't even begin to guess what this is in reference to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Could be this:

quote:

You might want to take a second glance at all those pennies you have lying around. According to Little Things, a few World War II era pennies still in circulation are worth around $85,000.

Basically https://www.google.com/search?q=old+penny+in+the+jar

But, yes, I think being confused by the references is an integral part of MST3K/RiffTrax experience

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another Kickstarter thing, if you backed above $15 you get another gift card for $3.99. You have to go to the Backerkit survey again but it will then apply to your account.

«54 »