Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
New movie:

https://twitter.com/RiffTrax/status/885929389522681856

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Gavok posted:

I watched the Improve Your Pronunciation short via Night of the Shorts and I have never been angrier watching a Rifftrax video.

Acrosst!

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Gavok posted:

Similarly, I think Pumaman is a fine superhero flick for the time where the main flaws are the costuming decisions, the special effects and that one really weird line about dinosaurs. A lot is said about Pumaman being worthless, but he does fine compared to most movie superheroes. It's more that they decided to merge Obi Wan Kenobi and Chewbacca into one character with the Aztec guy and the only time he's shown to be in any peril is during a brawl late in the movie. Even if Pumaman is the guy who saved him, he still looks like a novice in comparison.

Pumaman also had this feeling like they weren't sure if they were going with an actual superhero movie, or like, a parody superhero movie. I suppose it's not helped by there not being all that many big superhero movies out when it was made.

And the whole random grab bag of powers too. Just like, stick with the puma theme. Keep the "claw hands," swap the teleportation for stealth and speed and the flying for leaping, and ditch the entire "pretend to be dead" plot point - you had this whole willpower thing going, then the only way he solves that is by playing dead and his girlfriend breaking the fake head that the bad guy made with the mask.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Barudak posted:

I just realized the non-sequitor "bitch" at the end of a joke about titanic in the at your fingertips short is a callback to the goddamn titanic rifftrax from <squints> 2009

Which was a callback to the MST3K Academy of Robots' Choice Awards Preview Special from 1998.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Manos is really fascinating to me, because it seems like there COULD have been something decent there, but it was hampered by a combination of budget and incompetence. "Family stumbles into weird cult, cult starts to break up while creepy, supernatural stuff happens to the family," at least sounds like it could be the pitch for a real horror movie. But then all the characters just do the dumbest stuff at every possible turn.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Another Bill posted:

Bill posted a few (4?) months ago about having a cancer biopsy, hopefully this abswnce isnt related. :(

He was quarantined due to his wife testing positive for COVID-19 recently. She has recovered, according to a recent tweet.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Breadallelogram posted:

they couldn't think of good jokes for that part

It could also be that the version they got the rights to was pre-cut for some reason. MST3K used to cut movies for time or content, but they’d also get TV edited versions that may have already had missing stuff.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

NikkolasKing posted:

But hey, maybe they are all super big gamers, I dunno. I just never got that impression.
Mike challenged people to deathmatches in the original Doom (on a map he made, from what I understand) at one of the MST3K conventions. And they tossed around references to Super Mario Bros, Doom, Prince of Persia, and probably more that I'm forgetting.

So maybe not huge gamers, but I'm sure there's at least some frame of reference there.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

muscles like this! posted:

What's funny is that they tried to do a livestreaming thing on the Rifftrax site way back in the day and it didn't work then either.

Yeah, it was Shake Hands with Danger and Planet of Dinosaurs. I remember trying to watch that and it just kinda fell apart. But they released downloads to the ticket holders not long after.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

By popular demand posted:

Caution: the short titled Bored At Work is actually about depression (guess old timey America was even worse about acknowledging psychological issues).
It also doesn't help.

My wife got SOOOOOOO mad at the wife in that short.

We also usually use a shuffled playlist of Rifftrax shorts as background noise on the sleep timer, and that's one of the ones left off the list. Definitely one to make you more depressed by watching it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

muscles like this! posted:

Watching Yor: Hunter from the Future and got a case of the giggles when Yor swung across a gap and turned into a tiny doll on a string.

A move he learned from Phantom of Krankor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Canned Panda posted:

It was just recently. From what I understand, they are going to try and do a new MKB version of it, and then that version will disappear for good

But imo this one should have already been pulled for good.

I wonder if Lowtax’s kids get some kind of residuals. Ditto for the live shows with the Shmorky shorts. That might be a reason to keep it around.

This weekend, I watched the Plan 9 live show with some friends (who are familiar with the forums), and there was a definite groan when Lowtax came out on stage.