Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What the gently caress is this movie? And I was going to ask how the gently caress they got Eric Roberts but I found the answer:

He probably took a smoke break from the afternoon shift at the Sizzler in Van Nuys and was back in time for the dinner rush.

EDIT: Eric Roberts' Twitter feed is quite a thing to experience.

I can't mock Roberts for doing these films once I found out in an interview that he does them so he can turn the money over to charities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

It's available on Amazon

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The director of Merlin also directed Deadly Instincts, which is a Bridget and Mary Jo riff. It was also known as Breeders, which I remember from my time at Blockbuster, because the slipsleeve was embossed with the monster on it

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Just watched "Fun in Balloonland". I was not expecting 45 minutes of parade footage. Loved the generic balloon floats. They were so generic that they had to have people carrying signs in front of them explaining what the balloon was supposed to be.

Also watched Bridgit and Mary Jo's riff of "Angel's Revenge". Man, MST3K cut a lot out of that, including a montage scene!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I love Mary Jo and Bridget's riffs

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gavok posted:

Finished watching Yor and I have to say, the guy playing Overlord made for a shockingly good Dr. Doom. All he was missing was the face plate.

What about the use of action figures during the rescue scene at the end?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yeah, I have no problem with [Elliot] and he works well with Ian Potter.

Just discovered they've both written new Doctor Who adventures for the audio company Big Finish. I like their works for them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Watched "Star Games" for the first time. Holy poo poo Bill's line about the kid being chased by a bear in the woods. "This is actually the fifth Brian they cast. The other four were a bit ... slower. RIP."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Just got my Octoman, Star Raiders, Giant Spider Invasion DVDs.
That's my Christmas television sorted out.

Holy poo poo, I ordered those exact three too.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Got them from kickstarter rewards.
And a signed poster woot

Mine was the Black Friday sale. Got a 3 dollar coupon, just used it to get Santa Claus Live DVD, which was on sale, so it was only 2 bucks (plus a free BR of Reefer Madness)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

By popular demand posted:

Dumb Watson is like the easiest trap a writer can fall into and it's played for the cheapest of laughs in all those Basil Rathbone films.

My favourite treatment is still the Jeremy Brett series (which you can find on youtube): Watson is the charismatic 'people person' to Serlock's cold a-social Intellect.

Michael Williams (and later Andrew Sachs) was a great Watson to Clive Merrison's Holmes in the BBC radio series.
Richard Earl is another great Watson, in Big Finish's audio series starring Nicholas Briggs as Holmes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

JUNIOR PROM, by Mary Jo and Bridget is hilarious

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

What do you all think of solo riffs? I was interested in the Predator riff until I learned it's just Mike doing it himself.

I dunno, I love hearing their banter back and forth and laugh at each others' jokes

I love Mary Jo & Bridget, because they're always cracking each other up.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

IIRC, Bozo the Clown was actually created by someone in either L.A. or NYC, who subsequently licensed the character out to TV stations in other major media markets, so that most every region had their own version of Bozo (not sure about any of the supporting characters though). I remember having my mind blown some years back when I discovered he wasn't just a local Chicago TV personality.

Then a guy who ended up buying the Bozo license, in the 1960s, also managed to talk Stan Laurel into selling him the Laurel and Hardy license.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

The first time Bill launched into his Ice Cream Bunny laugh I saw stars I was laughing so hard.

Me too

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/RiffTrax/status/1283116553932701696?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rifftrax Presents riffer Ian Potter:

https://twitter.com/ianzpotter/status/1283831038565920768?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

If anybody gave my opinion the slightest bit of respect, I'd urge them to buy their riff of 'The Maturing Woman.' It opens with Bridget telling Mary Jo "Oh, this'll be good for you!" and just... :allears:
:

"The Woman in Green" opening is great. It starts with the classic mirror ball Universal logo of the 30s:

Bridget: This is my favorite logo ever!
Mary Jo: More than that one Columbia movie where the logo that came alive and started dancing?
Bridget: Oh god, I told you about that?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gavok posted:

The Endgame riff is very good, even if the Hawkeye jokes are beyond stale by this point.

Thanos: "You could not live with your own failure."

Bill: "Golden Corral's new slogan!"

Also, best callback: "Hey, hey, hey! Pym's on the way!

I love the running Golden Corral jokes

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1291586780970590209

A little Inside The Actors Studio for Miami Connection.

Edit for new release:

https://twitter.com/RiffTrax/status/1291796305065410561

Did I see a digitally inserted tattoo among the terrible fursuits?

Yes, also PS1 breaking window graphics

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

New video is out, taking a look.......Bridget & Mary Jo, instant buy.

High School USA, starring Michael J Fox and a whole slew of 80s TV stars. This used to get rerun on my local station in the 80s all the time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

I love how every criminal they encounter is a martial arts expert.

My favorite is in Honor and Glory, where a senator's daughter picks a fight with a reporter on the street, and they both know martial arts

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Just looked it up and found she also wrote a version where the characters were gender-swapped. Which means she wrote three versions of the same story.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Are the Rifftrax selections on Tubi and Amazon Prime the same? I would guess so but I realized today at work I've never checked. I always end up looking on Tubi because that's where I go when I'm in the mood for bad movies. (I'm also surprised how quickly Lycan Colony went up there.)

There's an overlap, but I'd say Tubi always has a better selection

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Billy Gnosis posted:

The guy from Overdrawn at the Memory Bank has a streaming service now?

Doesn't everyone?

Mine is 49.99 a month, I pick AND watch the movies, then I'll text you and tell you how the movie was.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Fungicide is another movie I saw before they decided to riff it. The thing I remember most is when a killer mushroom smacked a guy with a steel chair then applied an ankle lock submission.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/FrankConniff/status/1381380875166887937?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Of all the former MST3K writers, I would've put Bill at, like, 3rd or 4th most likely to make a Middle-Earth podcast.

I mean, Kevin bragged about owning a leather hat in "A Year at the Movies"

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This morning on the Rifftrax Twitch channel they aired Star Games. Holy gently caress, this may be the most insane movie I have ever seen! The special effects are atrociously bad, the space prince's computer AI is a disembodied clown head and the whole movie has this bizarre outsider art feel to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYQpr7c00EE

E: lol the king is Tony Curtis. Well that explains why he sounded like a two-bit New Jersey gangster wannabe.

Star Games was directed by Greydon Clark, who gave us Angels' Revenge and Final Justice. The School teacher "Angel" was also in Star Games (I think she's also married to Clark)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Watching Yor: Hunter from the Future and got a case of the giggles when Yor swung across a gap and turned into a tiny doll on a string.

A friend and I rented that movie twenty years ago, and when we got to that part, we rewound it like two dozen times.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Another Bill posted:

e: Also worth watching for Joel doing commentary on Werewolf and Delta Knights, neither of which he'd seen before. It's adorable hearing Joel react "oh wow what a great line" or "this is a good episode guys!"

One of my favorites was during the "Hobgoblins" watch-a-long, and Joel laughs at a riff, and says "Oh, that's definitely a Mike joke!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gavok posted:

I watched Star Games for the first time and it's one of those annoying movies where I feel like the basic idea was really, really good, but the people making it just didn't have the talent of budget available to make it work. Like, you could make a really fun movie about two kids becoming friends and one turning out to be some runaway space prince who digs Earth because of its entertaining grasp on science fiction. Even the hologram clown thing is a good idea that's just done badly. It's very Flight of the Navigator.

It's by Greydon Clark, who did "Angels' Revenge" and "Final Justice"!

And god help me, but I find myself actually enjoying "The Teen-Agers" films. Not just Bridget and Mary Jo's riffs, but the actual films themselves.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, the money-saving advice in that short is all over the map and ends up being a great example of why the phrase "pennywise and pound-foolish" exists.

Making your own rice seasoning and buying bulk plain rice? Yeah, OK, that makes sense.

Don't buy pudding in single servings? I suppose that's a good idea if I'm only eating it at home.

Breading your own zucchini? OK, wait a minute...

Powdered milk instead of regular milk? What the gently caress.

My favorite YouTube videos are the ones who tell you "Don't buy this business' food! I'll show you how to make one at home that's better!" (i.e. "Don't buy a Big Mac! I'll show you how to make one at home that's better!") And then the whole thing turns out to be this incredibly involved, time consuming, and expensive ordeal.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

A friend told me about that one and described it as "Birdemic, but somehow worse". Now I have to check it out.

It is AMAZING. I just watched it last weekend. Also, there's a post credits "scene"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The movie is clearly trying to be something like Step Up but it is completely incompetent and weird.

It was basically "From Justin To Kelly", but with "So You Think You Can Dance" runner-ups instead of "American Idol"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Was watching the Cinematic Titanic ep "Blood of the Vampires". Soooooo much blackface.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bridget and Mary Jo have gone backwards in time and done a riff of the first "Of the Bride" movies, "Children of the Bride." This one has Patrick Duffy!

I just watched their riff of "Lucky Day". Holy crap that scene at the funeral.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I watched the trailer for A Dangerous Man. Did Seagal really not even bother to throw a folder himself? The answer is of course he used one. The whole thing of being a buttery action star who does very little action taxes him greatly.

Also WOW we go dark even in the trailer.

I don't know about A Dangerous Man, but there are several films of his where he does not come back for ADR, so half his dialogue is dubbed by someone doing a bad Seagal impression. Asking him to throw something seems like too much effort.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Another Bill posted:

Crazier still to me is that George Kennedy won an Oscar, then did the Naked Gun stuff, then wound up in a Greydon Clark movie. What a career trajectory.

He also wrote a couple of mystery novels ... with himself as the main character.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

This is a movie I unironically love even without the riffs. I remember staying up late to watch it on a free weekend of like Showtime because I didn't teenager very well.

I saw Split Second in the theater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The only bad thing about The Teenagers films are there are eight of them, but Rifftrax can't find decent prints of the last four, meaning we'll probably never get them riffed.