Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Has anyone sen their Planet of Dinosaurs riff?

has anyone even seen Planet of Dinosaurs at all?

I saw the movie when I was very young and had no idea what it was called before I asked on Toho Kingdom and was told about it. I'm very grateful as I love to watch both it and the great riff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I dunno where to ask this but why not here.

I recently had my love of old scifi/horror films rekindled. I understand that MST3K did a commentary on The Black Scorpion. Was the film really that bad?

AMC back in the day introduced me to so many great classics like Them! and the Three Stooges. Maybe Black Scorpion isn't quite on their level but it was one of my favorites back then. But maybe it was my youth and the fact I like scorpions. I haven't seen it in over a decade.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Which Riffs do you rewatch most?

I always go back to their Harry Potter riffs since I have always disliked the HP movie and their mockery brings me extra joy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I can't recall if I ever saw it but is the Riff of The Happening good?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzcnZrHlS5U

Holy poo poo, they did a Riff on a Puppet Master film. It's the one right after I stopped watching, too. I watched the first six movies many years ago now but 6 was so bad I checked out.

I guess PM is a B-Movie series but it seems like a higher level of B-movie compared to what they usually review which is mostly poo poo I've never heard of. PM is relatively iconic with its theme and Blade and stuff. Watching them was the first time I ever considered getting into B-movies and those who make them. Full Moon did it, right? I never did look into their corpus but somebody who was an obscure horror fan suggested I give 'em a try.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Okay I know what I'm getting in terms of Riff stuff next month. It's actually an original MST3K episode. I have never seen an ep of the show that started it all, I just know them from RiffTrax.

But anyway, I just learned they did Mac & Me. This film has a special place in my heart since I remember always seeing it at a Target me and my grandmother went to. Eventually I got it and I was far too young to realize how awful it was. But looking back, I bet they do a wonderful job tearing it to pieces.

And they also did Anaconda, another gem from my childhood. There's nothing like a riff of a movie that is special to you.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 26, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Looking at the stuff they've done, they did Yor: the Hunter from the Future? That is a major blast from the past. I remember Spoony doing a "riff" of it forever ago.

Like I said I never watched MST3K but I know Spoony and so many other people here who do LP's weer hugely influenced by them. I found the copycats before the original, in sense. Not that this is a condemnation or insult, just an observation.

In any event, I wanna watch the Yor riff now.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I hope I'm not the only person who is constantly confused by at least some of the references in each riff. I figure they're mostly just comments on movies or TV shows I never saw as well as past current events I've forgotten about. Sometimes I'll Google it in hopes of finding out what it means.

But one that really mystifies me is in Independence Day at the start of the climax with the counterattack. General guy says don't fire until the package has been delivered and Kevin says "Wait, break off the engagement. We've just learned the old penny in the jar thing IS true."

I can't even begin to guess what this is in reference to.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I do think Sean and Conor (and the others) are the reasons we got stuff like GamerGate references like in The Wizard. I'd say video games references in general but do not underestimate Mike Nelson's love for Super Mario Brothers 3.

I guess I don't really know too much about their personal lives but stuff like references to Half-Life or Solid Snake just make me roll my eyes because I am very dubious of their knowledge of video games and their protagonists.

Action Jacktion posted:

There's an old joke that if you put a penny in a jar every time you have sex in your first year of marriage and then take one out every time you have sex after the first year, you'll die of old age before the jar is empty.

Oh wow, never heard that one. Neat.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah there's nothing worse than stolen gamer valor :jerkbag:

No, it's about sticking to what you know.

If I tried to make jokes about sports, it would be equally eyeroll inducing and trying too hard. These guys are way smarter and know more than I ever will, they can make use of that.

But hey, maybe they are all super big gamers, I dunno. I just never got that impression.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 6, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TVs Ian posted:

Mike challenged people to deathmatches in the original Doom (on a map he made, from what I understand) at one of the MST3K conventions. And they tossed around references to Super Mario Bros, Doom, Prince of Persia, and probably more that I'm forgetting.

So maybe not huge gamers, but I'm sure there's at least some frame of reference there.

Fair enough. I concede.

What are the actually best movies they've riffed? I know they've done plenty of great films but I just saw they did Alien which is one of my favorite films ever and a classic.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ringu0 posted:

You can check Oscar Winners collection: https://www.rifftrax.com/collection/oscar-winners

... and wow, they did do Alien. How is it by the way?

I just finished it. It was alright. Granted, I don't think I've heard a riff I didn't like. It wasn't my favorite or anything but there were some quite funny moments, IMO.

Also how did I totally forget about the part in the end of the movie where Ripley gets down to her undies and has her rear end crack hanging out.... Somehow that doesn't figure into my usual talks about Ripley as a great feminist character. Bill and Kevin blamed it on Ridley Scott's dirty uncle Ernie.

Also found this, the worst 26 movies according to Riff fans
https://www.rifftrax.com/worst-movies-of-all-time

Pretty uninspired list. I know, I know, "somebody did a list on the Internet and I disagree with it." Still, I should check out the Battlefield Earth riff.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The last few riffs I watched were okay but not great. But I adore their Matrix riff. Anaconda, Independence Day and Godzilla '98 were all movies I recall from my childhood so I wanted to see the riff but Matrix was THE movie for me when I was 12-13. i watched the VHS of it so many times. I'm glad the riff is so good.

Also the best part of Anaconda was the opening theme with that flute. Goddamn I totally forgot about that.
https://youtu.be/kt7RrrDAEfw?t=70

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What do you all think of solo riffs? I was interested in the Predator riff until I learned it's just Mike doing it himself.

I dunno, I love hearing their banter back and forth and laugh at each others' jokes

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also, on the note of good films they riffed, they also did Halloween.
https://www.rifftrax.com/halloween

I found it while looking under the Horror category. I was checking to see if they had done Species to complete my binge of 90s films that I remember very vividly from my youth.But Halloween's a way better movie anyway.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

After watching the Jack Frost riff, i have three main thoughts:

1. I have a whole new level of respect for Killer Klowns From Outer Space, a movie I already loved, but JF really shows that writing an intentionally bad/silly horror film is actually difficult and requires some level of talent.
2. How the hell did this film get a sequel? I saw the sequel a lot on cable back in my early teens. I always assumed the original must have been better but boy was I wrong.
3. This is still more memorable than Keaton's Jack Frost which is just a dime-a-dozen feel good kid flick.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

All I know about the guys personally is that when Sam Seder (a left-liberal/Leftist news guy) was fired from MSNBC and was losing advertisements on his own show because of an Alt-Right smearjob, Bill was one of the voices that tweeted out in solidarity with Sam and helped him get everything sorted out.

So he's cool in my book.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

World Famous W posted:

Well, guess I won't be watching the Trolls 2 rifftrax again

Why not? I've been thinking of watching it since Troll 2 is one of those movies everyone's heard of 'cuz it's so bad but I never bothered actually watching it beyond That Scene.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Breadallelogram posted:

Because Lowtax is one of the riffers and he has been outed as a serial abuser. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

Wow, I know about the Lowtax poo poo but I had no idea he was in a riff. I kinda forget SA is a pretty big deal, or at least used to be.

Thanks for the info.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Just got Birdemic with their 4th of July coupon.

Love that riff so much.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

nVM

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 3, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Can anybody recommend any riffs to spend this on? Looking for big time blockbuster films, not obscure stuff I've never heard of.

I've got all the Harry Potters and most of the 90s crap I grew up with like Anaconda and Godzilla '98. Any more recent suggestions? Was their riff on Jurassic World any good?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In the Order of the Phoenix riff, I think it's Bill who, in response to Dudley saying "At least I'm not afraid of my pillow!", says "That is until it says "THAT'S RIGHT, REGGIE!""

What is that a reference to?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Aw gently caress I wish somebody had told me this when I was asking for blockbuster riffs and had the coupon.

Love that movie. I wanna see it ripped to shreds.

EDIT:
They also did the original MK movie. gently caress, so many good choices.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

AvesPKS posted:

I personally like the Transformers series. 2 was written during a writers strike and is particularly nonsensical, and so is perfect for riffing.

I saw that in theaters but don't really remember anything about it. But if the riff is good, I'll check it out, thanks.

Also Mike is now the second guy who has insulted Christopher Lambert as Rayden. The first time I had a clue anybody didn't care for him, it was James from Dead Meat and I thought he was all alone. How can anybody disparage Lambert's awesome "gargles with glass" voice?