Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
The thing that most stuck out to me about Octaman relative to other terrible B-movies is that the editing was just incompetent. They kept cutting to poorly-framed shots of actors randomly during scenes, and then there was that part where the woman (you know, the one woman in the movie who had dialogue) apparently set the monster on fire and then there was a random cut and it was like someone forgot about the fire entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Lumbermouth posted:

The Prime selection shifts every couple of months, I’ve been able to watch a whole bunch over the course of sick days and long weekends.

I watched The Psychotronic Man on Sunday and the “trying to start the wakka-chikka machine” gag might be the hardest I’ve ever laughed at a Rifftrax.
The soundtrack is like an extra character in that movie, and a really weird one even by the standards of The Psychotronic Man.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Barudak posted:

Even in Rifftrax format you can feel Raul Julia making the poo poo material hes working with so much better than it should be.
How Did This Get Made did an episode about the movie (which led to them having a T-shirt for sale that said "What exactly is a Street Fighter?"), and apparently Raul Julia was in the process of dying during filming, so he would sit there most of the time, and then just kind of switch on and become Bison as soon as it was time to roll camera. I don't think anyone else could've yelled "GAME OVER!" with a straight face, much less with the utter conviction he radiated.

Also a lot of the cast was a bunch of young, new actors who were suddenly in Thailand for filming, which is probably why most of the cast looks so sweaty all the time.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
While watching Blood of Fu Manchu I idly looked up the movie and then the character, and it turns out that:

quote:

According to his own account, Sax Rohmer decided to start the Dr. Fu Manchu series after his Ouija board spelled out C-H-I-N-A-M-A-N when he asked what would make his fortune.
Rohmer also created Sumuru as a femme fatale version of Fu Manchu, and like Fu Manchu she's been portrayed multiple times in film, but only by white actors.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

ringu0 posted:

I wonder if they fixed their Matrix riffs... The jokes were so ugly I'm yet to revisit them.
IIRC Bill Corbett mentioned on Twitter that they had gone back and fixed those (and of course some chud in the replies was furious about the RiffTrax guys learning and growing as human beings), but I haven't checked myself.