Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

Movies like Spiker are my favorite type of exploitation movies.

I love it how it's not even an EFFICIENT exploitation movie. Usually that formula follows the Top Gun route: protagonist is good at something but has some conflict, and doing his thing gets him a hot girl (plus fame and cash along the way, usually) and closure on his issues in the end. Woo! It all worked out!

Spiker is like if someone had wanted to do a gritty cinema verité version of it, without the guts or craft. See, he's good at volelyball, but um, it's a hard life out there. Things get rough. People quit, games go bad, people burn out. And in the end...wel, nothing really happens to make the journey a complete one. I was half expecting the movie to end with him breaking his ankle and endinghis career prematurely, but even that is too much closure, I guess.

The riffing is awesome, though. The "those japanese businessmen are embarrassed at how sober he is and how few prostitutes he brought" bit had me laughing like a loon for way too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

PrinceRandom posted:

I found the soundtrack to Rock n Roll nightmare aka Edge of Hell on spotify and am very happy to be able to accept the challenge at any time

Energy DOES take me where I want to be.

Deep, man.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Paper Kaiju posted:

I had a VHS copy when I was a kid and loved it because I was too young and dumb to really process and comprehend all of the horrendous padding.

I find that awesome because I also watched it as a kid and it was the piece of media that showed little me that maybe not everything that had dinosaurs was great by default.

Also one of the survivors (the 'tough guy' bearded guy) really looked like a loud, jerkish uncle of mine that I hated even as a child.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Watching Blood Theater and I can't imagine how bad the skank character's acting had to be for them to dub over all her lines.

I don't credit the director or anyone to feel any sense of shame or dedication to their craft, so in my headcannon the just messed up the audio during filming and called some random woman in to dub her as a quick fix.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Ewen Cluney posted:

The soundtrack is like an extra character in that movie, and a really weird one even by the standards of The Psychotronic Man.

The soundtrack is arguably the main character in freaking Rollergator.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

I finally got around to watching the riff for Solo.

Yikes, that was a bad movie. I should have known by the presence of Emilia Clarke.

It really feels... aimless and lost. And that they knew it and decided that the way out of the mess was fanservice up the wazoo.

Krull may be my current favorite, though. Both because as a kid it was a movie I desperately -tried- to like ("Space -and- fantasy? Awesome! what's that freaky thing that comes out from the goon's heads? Why isn't he using that cool throwing star?" and the great riffing.

There's almost, almost something there, and those movies that miss by only a couple of degrees can be so much fun.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Krull is a movie where surprisingly little happens. The characters spend most of their time just kind of wandering around pointlessly until they reach the end of the movie.

They really needed a lesser villain, not even a Vader figure but a baddie with -some- charisma to be a challenge in the early/middle of the movie. The Beast is just...eh.

And something to make it seem that there really were two kingdoms in the world. Or even one. All we see of people is the castle in the beggining and then just wandering stragglers out in the emptiness. We never even see a town, or a wheeled vehicle! Those are the guys that will rule the galaxy in one generation?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Holy crap. Santa's Summer House.

I'll admit, Rifftrax was getting a bit tired for me. Could just have been my mood.

Then Kevin's joke of "glad to share this house with the cast and crew of rear end Worshipers #12" landed and I was a useless dope laughing for like, 10 minutes.

Now I just feel happy.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

My favorite part of that movie is how the main character just fucks off half way through so they have to get a new one.

It's like an anti-volleyball movie. I admire it.

"Ok, so this is the story of a guy who sacrifices all for the sport. His coach is a jerk. His best friend drops out of the game and into a life of pure pleasure and comfort with no consequence. His team-mates lose their wives. He finds a lover but she makes it clear that if he quits, she will no longer respect him. He is shackled to the sport, like a man handcuffed to a cadaver, on a long trek trough the desert. Also he gets beaten and mocked by the commies. And at the end...he COMES BACK FOR MORE."

Eat your loving heart out, Lars von Trier.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Barudak posted:

McBain is one of the sleepiest action movies I've ever seen, and its so conservative in such a lazy boomer way that I can't help but be transfixed by it.

Hey! I give it 50% odds, at the very least, that McBain inspired the "Protagonist is so above the opposition that he or she is not even close to being challenged at any point of the narrative" vibe from Equilibrium and Ultraviolet (And some of the Resident Evil movies).

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

By popular demand posted:

To create a plot involving a good guy Tonton Macoute shaman requires either unimaginable stupidity or deep psychopathy.
after watching that movie several times I still can't say which is it.

Since it also involves a xoom of an underage girl having her boobs nuzzled by a a cadaveric head (as a minor plot point!) , I'll go with psycopathy.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
So it's like 'Things'? I liked that riff, but the material was so baflfing it all felt a bit...loose.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Are they going to release the Swamp Thing live special?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Have they ever done Neil Breen movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Also count how many times they decide his last name is either 'Hawk' or 'Hawks.'

It's a double elimination name.