Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

muscles like this! posted:

So The Last Slumber Party is now on Amazon Prime and is it just me or does that movie have really bad sound mixing?
It does. It gets better about 15 minutes in (after the classroom scene), but by better I mean "you can sort of tell what the actors are saying, usually".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

BDawg posted:

New stuff on Amazon Prime! Watching Last Slumber Party now.
I know it's a time-honored horror movie trope to have all the characters make bad decisions, but not to the level of "I just saw my family and friends get brutally murdered, and the murderer attacked me too and is still here, so I will slowly walk around the house for half an hour".

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
This is almost unwatchable due to audio issues with the movie.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

yes. "audio issues" make it unwatchable.
It's terrible (like in the bottom 1% of movies they've watched), but it would still be riffable if you could hear anything between the perpetually muffled and distant microphones, and the godawful acoustic guitar "soundtrack".

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

muscles like this! posted:

Suburban Sasquatch is out now.
Just finished watching it.

Story, acting, special effects, and production values on the level of Birdemic. The riffing is good, too.

It's definitely more watchable than Rollergator, since you can at least occasionally hear the dialog, and there's no incessant guitar noodling over the whole thing.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Asking very nicely, can we please not link directly to that shitheel's rantings in here?

I think we can all agree he's pretty gross; anyone who wants to read more can find him pretty easily.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

AvesPKS posted:

I've been trying to follow this thread...did Mike actually say anything bad?
Not that I've seen referenced. But he co-founded and co-hosted a podcast with someone who has a long history of being extremely anti-gay (and gross in other ways).

So it's up to the individual to decide how much of an endorsement of this guy's views that implies.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

queserasera posted:

My sincerest condolences. Rollergator's right up there with A Talking Cat and the James Nguyen movies as too incompetent to be funny and the riffs don't save it.
Yeah. I find Rollergator to be unwatchable, mostly because of the audio quality and the incessant guitar noodling.

For a "so bad it hurts" movie that you can still enjoy with riffing, I'd recommend Lycan Colony.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Bedurndurn posted:

Why do they keep loving around with that when they've got a Twitch channel? They own the streaming rights for their movies; they literally stream them on Twitch already. Do they not have a teenage child they can ask to set up OBS for them?
It's hard to do live commentary from multiple sources synced with a movie. Even a half-second delay somewhere can completely kill comic timing.

Syncing up multiple chats with a movie is Scener's whole thing, although it obviously has major reliability problems.

The correct answer is to just pre-record it and sync each of their local streams for the playback, but then it's not really "live".

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This morning on the Rifftrax Twitch channel they aired Star Games. Holy gently caress, this may be the most insane movie I have ever seen! The special effects are atrociously bad, the space prince's computer AI is a disembodied clown head and the whole movie has this bizarre outsider art feel to it.
The ship AI doing a terrible impression of Robin Williams didn't just make me feel embarrassed for the actor, but for myself, for watching it.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Fezz posted:

Have they done the first one? Am I looking for something that's not on the site? Why start with the second one?

They've done the second and third ones, but I don't see that they did the first one.

I can't imagine knowing the continuity matters much for these films though.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The Rifftrax video game is out today, and the Rifftrax crew is currently doing a live preview/play-along session on their Twitch channel.

https://www.twitch.tv/rifftrax

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Clouseau posted:

I got to play this this weekend and this was a ton of fun with the right group of goofy friends. If you have a group of folks who are good at quiplash then its great, if not, skip it.

It is funny to me there's a small group of reviewers that don't understand the concept of riffing and are mad its not just another dubbing game (the previous game the folks made).
My regular weekly party game group played several rounds over the weekend. The vast majority of the clips can work just like What the Dub. It's just that occasionally it doesn't put the silence over a distinct line of dialog.

The clip selection is great. We've seen Measuring Man, Fun in Balloonland, and Cat-Women of the Moon so far.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

I picked this up to watch with my wife, who has been dancing for 35 years and has been a dance teacher and choreographer at various times. The movie is everything you'd expect, with wooden acting, a hamfisted love story, and young attractive people randomly dancing for no reason in every possible mundane situation.

My wife thought the dancing in the film was quite good, it's just... everything else related to the movie that sucks out loud.

Edit: To be clear, we watched the Rifftrax version of this, but I've definitely sat through a few dance-centric stinkers without the benefit of jokes, in the interest of martial harmony.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 26, 2022

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The Rifftrax Twitch channel has been repeatedly playing Attack of the Super Monsters on loop since last night.

I'm not sure if it's a mistake or genius programming.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Oh. I just remembered what day it is.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Lumbermouth posted:

Everything is 20% off through Monday and I am stocking up on Bridget and Mary Jo riffing 90s made for TV movies, as should all of you.

I'd ask for recommendations, but I'm not sure I can ever forgive this thread for getting me to watch Feeders and Lycan Colony.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Lumbermouth posted:

Any of the Mary Higgins Clark or Teen Agers riffs, they're just such good times.

I think I've seen them all except for the newest Mary Higgins Clark one. The Bridget and Mary Jo riffs are usually automatic buys for me. I actually prefer them to the main three Rifftrax guys.

Looking at the credits, Mike is the only one of the three who still consistently writes on the newer riffs.

I kinda loved that the original MST3k writer's room was mostly just the cast.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Dawgstar posted:

I went with Day of the Assassins and Inspector Mom.

I watched both of these over the weekend.

The plot of Day of the Assassins is nearly incomprehensible, but there are some great riffs, especially surrounding Chuck Connors. You can also play "count the Shaft references" every time Richard Roundtree shows up.

Inspector Mom is an instant classic. It's a run-of-the-mill Hallmark Channel murder mystery starring Danica McKellar. Every character, plot point, and line of dialog is unrealistic and poorly-conceived, but the thing is just so damned earnest that it somehow works as a very riffable movie. And of course this sort of thing is right in Bridget and Mary Jo's wheelhouse.

In a fit of "how did this get made" curiosity, I discovered that Inspector Mom was subsequently made into a 10-episode TV series, and (if IMDB is to be believed; there's no Wikipedia entry for any of this) there was also a second Inspector Mom TV movie at some point. I'd love to see them go through the rest of it.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Rifftrax runs an official stream 24/7 on Twitch.

Edit: They're currently showing the live-action Aladdin movie starring Barry Bostwick as the genie, and a bunch of very white people in traditionally non-white roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Dancin' It's On is a great watch (with riffing).

My wife is a retired dance teacher, and while she agrees that the plot, dialog, and acting are incomprehensibly terrible, the dancing and choreography are excellent and make the film an extra-fun watch for her.

She will also watch The Apple whenever it comes on the Rifftrax Twitch stream for much the same reason.