Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lester Shy posted:

Edit: Man Sharknado 2 sucks. I know that's "the point" but the whole thing is so cynical and joyless, even the riff couldn't save it. And between Andy Dick, Matt Lauer and Jared Fogle it's jam packed with sex creeps.

I remember in an interview Kevin said something along the lines of "when you set out to make a bad movie all you have succeeded at is failure." And Sharknado 2 is doubly unfortunate because they tried to make it a meme.

KS Update:

3500 Backers - Warty, The Toad (UNLOCKED!)
3750 Backers - Rediscovery: Puppets (UNLOCKED!)
4000 Backers - Join Hands, Let Go! (UNLOCKED!)
4250 Backers - Clean and Neat with Harv and Marv (UNLOCKED!)
4500 Backers - Health: Your Posture (UNLOCKED!)
4750 Backers - You’re The Judge (UNLOCKED)
5000 Backers - How To Keep a Job
5250 Backers - 10 Long Minutes
5500 Backers - The Day I Died
5750 Backers - Ghost Rider

Slightly less than 200 backers to go and then we can all know how to hold down gainful employment!

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

happyhippy posted:

Just backed the kickstarter.
gently caress yes Giant Spider Invasion!
PACKERS!

How much more of the farmer's back brace is in the unedited cut do you think?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I revisited The Guy From Harlem today. (He's still from Harlem.) I think my favorite part is just how indignant Kevin gets over how The Guy orders his New York Strip and the type of Scotch he gets.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I hope they'll take it easy on Raul, not unlike how they did with Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

IUG posted:

They have some mp3 commentaries as well, but I've never tried those. I think the overlap is they both pick on lovely B movies. But RLM is more of the dissecting of bad film and trying to be a film critic about it. More than half of their videos where they watch movies is spent at a table talking about how good/bad it was. You don't spend much time at all watching the films they talk about, it's all clips where relevant.

I've listened to the RLM Gremlins commentary. It was... fine? They don't have any special insight that you yourself wouldn't if you liked the movie and read up on it a little.

One thing I do know is RLM fans hate it if you ask if they liked RiffTrax or MST3K, even though it's logical to assume the RLM guys would be at least familiar with it coming from the same general area.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

He's signing "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jet Jaguar posted:

Is she the HELL from Rio?

More importantly can she order a New York Strip properly?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I have encountered one of the more seminal lines in cinema history while watching 'Alien Outlaw.' "It sure as hell ain't breadfruit!" I feel a subtle shift in reality around me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Finally with my own eyes I have seen Night of the Lepus. I never knew massacres could be so adorable and floof-filled.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's an April Fool's joke going on at the Twitch channel. They're playing stuff un-riffed.

Right now it's 'Setting Up a Room' and that loud piercing noise you're hearing is your own panicked screaming at the thought.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 16, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Barudak posted:

Yeah I think thats the best description of their cadence. Like the running "so you went to prom" joke is just incredible

I really dug 'The Maturing Woman' short. "Oh, Mary Jo, this will be good for you!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Boy, 'Uninvited' sure was a story about a cat that barfs up a demon cat and kills people on a boat. Like, you can say that but you're not really prepared until you watch it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Another Bill posted:

Even if you remove the cat, the story about the two girls and two other dudes that get on a boat sailing into the Caribbean with a money launderer they just met makes zero sense.

They sure are cool with that one dude's attempted sexual assault, too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

Nah, it is completely wacky even without riffing. The killer is a cat inside another cat and as previously mentioned the set up for why everyone is on the boat out in the middle of nowhere makes absolutely no sense.

Agreed. It's also super 80's in style which helps. Or hurts.

The... outside cat? Or whatever you want to call it is very blase about the whole deal. It's just an ambulatory hairball to it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

When I die, please put 'It sure as hell ain't breadfruit!' on my tombstone. Thank you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, it's a Full Moon joint. Of special note is The Room's Greg Sestero as young Toulon who in his book was especially proud of his accent.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Rented and watched the Rifftrax version of "Attack of the Super Monsters" earlier in the evening and thoroughly enjoyed it, because it combined two things from Japan that were very near and dear to my heart as a kid during the early 1980s: guys in giant monster suits destroying scale model cities, and shoddy assembly-line style cartoons with ridiculous dubbing.

I'm glad they finally got around to something anime-adjacent. People were asking for that sort of thing all the way back on the Sci-Fi channel chats (and I remember Bill answering "I'd have to watch it, so no").

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Finally got around to seeing Spiker, which was possibly sponsored by Soup Plantation and for an Olympic volleyball movie did not feature any volleyball at the Olympics. Good fun.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Watched this a few days ago after seeing the BotW episode a few years ago and it's as amazing as they made it look. You could think it's a movie made by some highschoolers but nope it's a very serious adult dude making a statement and nature and having meetings with his costume designer. Some of the choices are really mindblowing, like he could've easily cut that shot after seeing how terrible it is but nope everything stays in.

KEEP ROLLING!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ringu0 posted:

But, yes, I think being confused by the references is an integral part of MST3K/RiffTrax experience

And the guys and girls would absolutely write jokes for themselves, which is where you get all the references to Circle Pines from (where Mary Jo grew up, I believe).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, I do think Sean and Conor (and the others) are the reasons we got stuff like GamerGate references like in The Wizard. I'd say video games references in general but do not underestimate Mike Nelson's love for Super Mario Brothers 3.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TVs Ian posted:

Mike challenged people to deathmatches in the original Doom (on a map he made, from what I understand) at one of the MST3K conventions. And they tossed around references to Super Mario Bros, Doom, Prince of Persia, and probably more that I'm forgetting.

So maybe not huge gamers, but I'm sure there's at least some frame of reference there.

Mike and Jim would also have long bouts of playing the old 688 Attack Submarine because one of the first things they did when they upgraded their computers at Best Brains was buy games for it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'd forgotten they did Jaws, which is certainly the movie out of those I revisit the most. It also reminds one of Kevin saying that what they do are really roasts instead of ribs in response to the "How could you do GOOD movies!?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Round and round Jon Voight's accent goes! Where it stops, nobody knows!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

1. I have a whole new level of respect for Killer Klowns From Outer Space, a movie I already loved, but JF really shows that writing an intentionally bad/silly horror film is actually difficult and requires some level of talent.

Kevin mentioned once that when you make a bad movie on purpose, the only thing you've succeeded at is failure (talking about Sharknado 2, I believe).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I do kinda miss the guest riffer stuff, like Mike doing Jurassic Park with Weird Al or Troll 2 with some nerd who runs a dead comedy site. Janet Varney and Cole Stratton were funny, too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

IUG posted:

The rest of the MST3k crew seemed pretty left, from what I remember. I don't follow anyone other than the main Rifftrax account and Bill/Kevin, but I remember Frank being pretty extreme online (and I'm pretty sure he was left), to the point that I had to unfollow him. Joel is an old hippy I believe, so maybe Cinematic Titanic needs to start back up again or something if there's a falling out at Rifftrax if Mike won't budge.

Trace is also pretty left but isn't as vocal as Frank (few are as vocal as Frank). The other guy on Mike's 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back is Conor Lastowka, one of the RiffTrax writers who also seems to swing to the left.

The third guy on Audio Mullet is apparently the Axe Cop dude. Which i never got into but now at least I don't have to put in the effort.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm pretty sure Mike owns Rifftrax, so it wouldn't be a matter of him leaving but rather whether the others were willing to stay. It would suck to have a scenario where he replaces Bill and Kevin with some chud-rear end riffers making lovely cracks about SJWs and "safe spaces" and whatnot, but that'd likely be a worst-case scenario kinda thing where they just can't reconcile their differences.

If the others are serious about sticking to their principles, Mike would have to replace like everybody. Bill, Kevin, the writers like Conor, Sean and Jason, all of them don't seem like they'd be down with Doug.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/JoelGHodgson/status/1273230388165521410

"I always KNEW he was terrible at his job on top of being a terrible person!" always crops up when this happens and it always seems to bury the lede. Mike was and is talented, and that's part of why it hurts so much.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Frank is the only one of the guys I follow individually, though Bill might get added now. This world doesn't deserve Frank (who looks ROUGH right now in some recent photos on facebook, but I think he might have lost a bunch of weight).

Oh, Frank had a heart attack a while back and some lifestyle changes were forced on him if he wanted to keep, you know, living. I believe he's vegan now, but vegetarian for sure.

https://twitter.com/BillCorbett/status/1273314197510782979

I guess people are mad Bill isn't throwing Mike under the bus now?

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 17, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Frank does talk about how he would get literally black out drunk while living in New York. In fact Time of the Apes reminded him of getting black out drunk, which is impossible!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MachineryNoise posted:

Scanning through a couple of the podcasts, this situation strikes me as Mike watching an old friend turn into a bigger and bigger rear end in a top hat over time but not really wanting to believe it. I hope he keeps making the right decisions.

I wonder how much of Doug being Doug is easy to miss if you're not online very much like Mike is. Or isn't. That he tones it down in front of people who would react badly to the full monty in person (or in online teleconferencing, at least) would not shock me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jet Jaguar posted:

Please, science, fix Mike's headaches so he can rest and maybe pick better people to do podcasts with. Bill's podcast was really good, as I recall.

I don't know how Mike lives with a constant migraine at some level. Every time the SF Sketchfest comes on the Twitch channel somebody invariably says they heard Mike has beef with them or whatever and the answer is no, he doesn't go out because flying is like death.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/clastowka/status/1273629994116317189

Double post but: I don't know why Conor decided to make a thread about the the main bad guy in UHF acting like Trump but it's pretty funny.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/clastowka/status/1273974170397945856

The fallout has been immediate and harsh.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jet Jaguar posted:

Watching Death Promise and it is like if Guy From Harlem and Miami Connection had a kid. How have I missed this one until now?

I re-watched Guy (who is from Harlem) the other day and I still love how annoyed Kevin gets at how the guy (again, from Harlem) orders his New York Strip and Scotch.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Does anybody plan to hang out at the CineD Discord or even the official RT Discord until what's what is figured out?

Also Trucker's Woman is very funny.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Canned Panda posted:

Also, I've been talking to one of my contacts at RiffTrax and Troll 2 has been removed.

Nice. I thought about tweeting something at them but I have an entry in 'Who's Nobody' and figured there were probably more influential people who would tell them.

Happily this will also cut down on the people who come into the Twitch chat and like making fun of Troll 2 and also hate RiffTrax for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Weak Rifftrax crumbles to sjw soy boy oppression at the drop of a pussy hat!

I remember people complaining about their Gamergate jokes. That was pretty great. My favorite's in The Wizard, where they call Lucas Gamergate patient zero.