Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
Does anyone have the danger theme from "Missile X" stuck in their head? I must've background watched that stupid movie at least 20 times by now.

"Rock 'n Roll Nightmare" used to be my go to, but I think I've watched it too much now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

missile x is seriously slept on imo

It's hilarious and I'm not sure why.

Also, Psychotronic Man is hilarious.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

ENOUGH WITH THE WAKKA CHIKKA MACHINE

I love the musical stings that start happening for no reason that Bill gets increasingly mad at.

Also I rewatched Uninvited last night and still couldn't figure out why they all got on the boat.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 21, 2020

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I've been trying to follow this thread...did Mike actually say anything bad?

And yeah I don't think them making racy comments in Riffs is anything new.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Jet Jaguar posted:

Watching Death Promise and it is like if Guy From Harlem and Miami Connection had a kid. How have I missed this one until now?

I don't know if there's a word for this, but I keep having this irrational fear that I'll wake up in a dirty, dingy, grimy, dimly lit late 70s-early 80s world. Like this movie, or the Three's Company set or something. Like the opposite of what Wolverine experiences when he wakes up in the 70s in Days of Future Past.

Also I love how the main bad guy has a cat-stroking boss over him, and their main plan consists of releasing a box of rats.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

I watched Omega Cop over the weekend and something that bothered me from the movie is how the lead looked like a buff Ben Mendelsohn. Also the movie spent what little budget they had on Adam West but they couldn't pay him enough to actually act like he cared what was happening.

I was going to make a David Carradine joke (hopefully featuring rope) but then I realized I mixed this up with Karate Cop.

I think my favorite riff might be Galaxy Invader. Though I think the first say third of Rock 'n Roll Nightmare is as good as anything they've done, to me. The van-driving sequence is so funny I must've rewound it like 5 times the first time I saw it, and the one joke M: "I guess this is going to be one of those movies with no people in it?". K: "There was that family". M: "But they died" gets me every time.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

It'd be interesting to look at their business model. I'm guessing the stuff where they can have movie + riffs makes the most money, which is why they don't trip over themselves to do Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor or something similar.

Eh, why go for Pearl Harbor when Transformers Revenge of the Fallen is right there in front of you? I mean it's a Transformers movie made during a writers strike so it's particularly incoherent, with none of the incompetent 'charm' of say Avatar or Battlefield Earth. Just a great riff and definitely a miss if you usually only go for VODs.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

I feel like you'd have to attach a ball and chain to get the guys to get them to watch another Transformers movie and even then there's a risk they would attempt to gnaw off their own foot at the ankle.

I'm really just recommending watching Revenge of the Fallen here. There's a part where Bill loses his poo poo because the main characters explicitly say they at Aqaba, where there are no pyramids, yet they enter a giant pyramid right after this.

Edit:. I haven't seen it in years but I remember Firewall being hilarious too.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 13, 2020

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Bridget and MJ's stuff are honestly must-buys for me at this point.

It's been said before, but the Teen Agers series is hilarious. They're just great on these.

Missile X is worth it for the one "Biography" Bill gets to gently whisper.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

I finally accepted the challenge and bought Rock n' Roll Nightmare and Ice Cream Man!

Rock n' Roll Nightmare is another of my stream favorites and it was overdue for a proper purchase.

The first time I watched it, I must've rewound the opening van sequence like 5 times. There are so many good jokes in that one part. It ends very weak in my opinion but the first half of the movie is one of my favorites.

Also I feel like Frank and Trace play themselves a bit more, at least in Glen or Glenda? anyway, and MKB seems to riff more in character a bit? If that makes sense.

Also Devil Girl from Mars is hilarious too, although I just noticed it's not available on the site right now.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

Unless you mean, like, light on riffs then I don't see how you can say the ending is weak. Say what you want about Thor Michael Vincent, he really put the "vanity" in "vanity project" with that final sequence where he strips down to a Speedo and spiked collar, teases his hair, oils his chest and does battle with sea cucumbers, set to his own music. And I don't even know if he knows how ridiculous it is.

You don't even need to riff something like that.

I can't deny that the end sequence is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen. I guess what I mean is, everything up until they get to the farmhouse is like pure distilled essential Rifftrax, to me. Like the van driving sequence makes me giggle like an idiot, and for me the rest of the Riff just kind of falls apart after he locks up the van and Australian battery commercial guy loses his accent.

By popular demand posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't really get anything from riffs to competently made movies?
That avenger movie is going to be as formulaic as any superhero flic but I only burst into laughter with poo poo like Puma Man.

I've definitely found myself turning off the Riff on some of them if I haven't seen the movie in a long time and if it's a movie I like, as I'm often more caught up in the movie itself than the Riff. I mean I feel that they've proved they can make any riff funny. But I agree that the worse the movie the better the riff, in general.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I was just thinking how crazy it is that there's no riff for Reign of Fire, and of course there is. I can't remember if I've seen it but I'm definitely watching it soon. Just a ridiculous movie.

CapnBry posted:

I don't know how anyone could squeeze a joke in during the ending. That was a rocket fueled explosion of a movie going off the deep end in a way my brain can't even take it all in. I feel like it was the right decision for the guys to ease off and just let me enjoy it.

I didn't want Rifftrax to change to VOD because I really liked the riffs of movies I would not have otherwise seen, like Twilight being a movie I tried to watch but couldn't and now have seen 3 or 4 times with the riff. I had never seen a Harry Potter movie until it was riffed as well, and the first couple were really funny. I've seen them all now but the first ones were the best because: WHIMSY! Now I only like the VODs, just the jokes are a just enough of a pain to watch or merge my rip with that I only get a handful of them.

I agree with all of this. You're right, the end didn't need jokes.

I like having both, I'd guess the jokes only riffs were quicker and cheaper to do at first, then the VODs are more profitable, hence the switch in focus? I wish we still got both.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 28, 2020

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

She's really impressively likeable even in the worst RiffTrax films she's appeared in.

Honor & Glory is a great riff.

Fezz posted:

Yeah, Spiker, A Talking Cat?!, And Rollergator are now on Amazon Prime.

I watched Spiker and it was a good riff. Very wired product placement from Souplantation of all places.

I've tried to watch Spiker several times and just can't get into it.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Davros1 posted:

My favorite is in Honor and Glory, where a senator's daughter picks a fight with a reporter on the street, and they both know martial arts

Everybody in that movie knows martial arts

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Chuck Connors is good and creepily intense (which makes sense as he had a long rear end career after this) but the guy who played Lawton was completely boring. Also the plot is needlessly complicated adding in the woman who also kind of wants revenge against Lawton but doesn't ever actually do anything.

The only thing I remember about Chuck Conners is that one episode of NewsRadio where Jimmy is in a coma, and Dave Nelson carries both sides of a ridiculous conversation with him where he mixes up Chuck Conners with another actor.

Watched The Power and it had surprisingly good effects the couple times it actually has them. Most of the time it is just kind of boring meandering. One question I was left with is was there just one statue or were there supposed to be multiple? Because the way it travels around doesn't exactly make a ton of sense.

Pretty sure there was just the one statue, because they make a big show of digging it up at the beginning, if I remember correctly. I think the final scene really tied the movie together nicely for me too, which doesn't always happen with a Rifftrax.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

There are a few small parts missing from R.O.T.O.R., but nothing substantive to the plot nor anything that was begging to be riffed.

Coldyron.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

nishi koichi posted:

probably a longshot, but does anyone know if the soundtrack for missile x: the neutron bomb incident is available anywhere? it’s got a sick groove

Yeah I've had what I like to call the "danger theme" stuck in my head for a long time now. It think my favorite part is when the female Russian agent tries to bully Peter Graves.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

nishi koichi posted:

oh hell yeah, it’s a start. thank you

put the gun away, stick to electronics, would ya?

And she is now irrisistibly attracted to him. That's just how it works in Gravesland, baby.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 31, 2021

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

This week's release is Fungicide, from the director of Suburban Sasquatch.

'Director'? I think you're stretching what that word can mean.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

nishi koichi posted:

i’ve been watching blood theatre a lot lately, it’s hypnotically bad and the guys sound like they’re having fun

Good riff. It's an awful looking early 80s world but at least it's well lit. One part of the soundtrack reminds me of 70s educational films and I kept waiting for a tranquilized man with a deep voice to start narrating about the movie industry or something. It never gets bad enough that MKB get pissed though and that's kind of one of my favorite parts of riffs. But this category also includes Missile X and maybe Psycho 2? if I'm remembering correctly and those are 2 of my favorites. I feel like with these, they have a few bits of charm or charisma just by themselves which adds to the overall watch ability, in a way that any of the Transformers movies do not, or like Birdemic or Subspecies IV or Rats: Night of Terror or The Dark Power or Alien Outlaw or The Sword and the Sorcerer or Attack of the Super Monsters or ROTOR, where the whole thing is a dumpster fire from top to bottom

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

nishi koichi posted:

the theater preview for “clown whores of hollywood”, (actually, that entire scene with the topless blonde woman screaming at everyone in the theater) is like, the definition of “so bad it’s good”. like, she goes “sit on this, bitch” (WHY IS SHE DUBBED?!) and i loving lose it every time

It would fit right in the fake previews in Grindhouse, almost made me think it was self aware. Or, alternatively, someone just decided to have fun making the movie for 5 minutes

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

flesh dance posted:

I only tried just-the-jokes once when the app that was supposed to sync it automatically gave everyone a few star wars riffs for free. That was a longass time ago and maybe it's been improved since then, but it kept loving up on me

I enjoy the VOD shorts and weird b-movies far more than blockbusters anyhow, that's why I loved mst3k after all

The Transformers movies are terrible. But Transformers 2, to me, is a special form of terrible. Made during a writers strike, it is an incomprehensible, offensive assault on the senses with a plot that makes no god-damned sense whatsoever. It's got great lines of dialog like "Target the alien scrotum!" and "[Incomprehensible yelling for 30 seconds]" Some of the jokes are a bit dated at this point but it's my favorite of the blockbuster riffs, I think.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Fezz posted:

Have they done the first one? Am I looking for something that's not on the site? Why start with the second one?

I kept looking for the other Subspecies after 4 came out.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Chomposaur posted:

Also I had a similar feeling watching the original Birdemic riff with the amount of fat jokes aimed at the mom, it felt really mean in a way that thankfully they've evolved past. I had to turn it off after a bit cause I wasn't having a lot of fun with them just ripping on an actress.

I'm pretty sure they're gone after John Goodman more than once. There's a joke about him blowing up a toilet across state lines in Psycho 2.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

There was an odd trend to suddenly go after Goodman. It was like the poor comedian's break in case of glass. Which doesn't excuse it, mind you, because it sucks and we know the guys can do a lot better.

They also mention Louie Anderson blowing up a port a potty in the commentary for Thor. Again, delivered by Kevin. I've also noticed Bill make at least 2 separate crop-dusting jokes.

Ms Boods posted:

Finally got around to watching LIghtblast last night -- lots of laffs, but actually shouted and went YES! during the meal-time scene when Erik Estrada asked his wife/partner what was in the main dish... 'Oh, lots of things...'

The melting effects are slightly disturbing to me in this movie, and the chase scene featuring a van with a giant tree upon it 'concealing' a cameraman is hilarious.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Breadallelogram posted:

wait, is there something problematic about crop-dusting jokes or do you just think it's lazy?

No judgement at all really I just find it funny when the same riffer repeats the same type of joke in different riffs, but I must've watched Missile X like 20 times at this point (which features one of said crop dusting jokes) and thinking back it's probably just overrepresented in my mind.

I thought Kevin didn't write? I could be wrong on that. But I've always wondered if they 'fight' over good lines and such, or how they decide that.

But they've definitely toned down or eliminated their invective in certain areas from where they were say 10 years ago.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Action Jacktion posted:

The scenes at their headquarters are so goofy with the robot and Shoeboogie that they feel like they were made by a completely different group of people from the other stuff.

What's interesting to me is that the riff left out a few parts featuring Shoeboogie and the robot. Although I can't ultimately fault them for keeping the focus on Coldyron.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

That funky 50's-ish high school series Bridget and Mary Jo do is a real treat.

Yeah they are really good. I've only seen High School Hero and the next one where they go on vacation to the west or wherever, but they both crack me up.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Breadallelogram posted:

I wonder if they keep a list of all the jokes they've removed. I wonder how much dead air they sell now.

If they bowdlerized the Transformers 2 riff there'd only be like half the movie left. Anything like pre 2014 I'd say could be dicey.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

I love How Did This Get Made, or at least I was into it for years, but sometimes it can be a bit silly to me how they point out oddball stuff and can feign being baffled every time. Sometimes stuff being out there or weird is cool and fun, so I guess sometimes celebrating that and "laughing with" the movie can be a thing. But there are many layers and levels.

If it was June or Paul, I don't think they were feigning anything. I lost a bit of interest when I heard those space cadets complaining about some 'plot hole' in a movie, when it was obvious that they just hadn't been paying attention while watching it. I've never heard Jason make a mistake like that, though.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Burkion posted:

Watched the Twilight riff for the first time in

At *least* five six years

One of my favorites, some really great goddamn jokes, the movie is pitch perfect for the riffing, great banter between the guys

Also holy poo poo some of those jokes have actively curdled and rotted holy *poo poo* some of those jokes yikes. It's really kind of unfortunate because it's an all timer of a riffing, but then you just have a random out of no where trans joke thrown in

The Transformers 2 riff is like this. At one point they just straight out call the word "hatchlings" gay.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

TVs Ian posted:

I wonder if Lowtax’s kids get some kind of residuals. Ditto for the live shows with the Shmorky shorts. That might be a reason to keep it around.

This weekend, I watched the Plan 9 live show with some friends (who are familiar with the forums), and there was a definite groan when Lowtax came out on stage.

I'll bet everything's still alive somewhere. I've even heard there's a synced copy of the Starship Troopers live show floating around.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

MrMidnight posted:

There is no God

Finally a contender to knock Transformers 2 off as the worst big budget movie they've riffed.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Sometimes I have to rewind the movie because I want to actually hear the dumb line that the Riff just spoke over. But the lyrics of the songs are so banal, but the songs themselves are pleasant enough, that it's like the movie is providing background music for the riffing.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

overseer07 posted:

I literally couldn't make it 10 minutes into Cats. It is completely unwatchable, even with the riffs.

As long as they kept singing and saying jellicle over and over the movie kept up some momentum and I could laugh, but as soon as they stopped that it just became a chore to watch.

I'm rewatching Galaxy Invader for like the 100th time. So good.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Another Bill posted:

Blood Theatre

Blood theater blood theater blood theater blood theater

Blooooooood theeeeeeeaaaaaaatre
x3

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Was the Starship Troopers riff ever officially released?

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

My fault, I meant the live version. Sorry!

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Aw gently caress I wish somebody had told me this when I was asking for blockbuster riffs and had the coupon.

Love that movie. I wanna see it ripped to shreds.

I personally like the Transformers series. 2 was written during a writers strike and is particularly nonsensical, and so is perfect for riffing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

I saw that in theaters but don't really remember anything about it. But if the riff is good, I'll check it out, thanks.

Also Mike is now the second guy who has insulted Christopher Lambert as Rayden. The first time I had a clue anybody didn't care for him, it was James from Dead Meat and I thought he was all alone. How can anybody disparage Lambert's awesome "gargles with glass" voice?

The Riff is a bit problematic in that it's turbocharged with homophobic slurs; there's a "gay" pejorative like once every five minutes. Mike felt the need to call the word "hatchlings" "gay," for instance. It came out in 2011. But that movie also has John Turturro saying the line "I am directly beneath the enemy scrotum," so, you know. But transformers 3 is just as funny if you want to skip 2.

Also Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter make a great viewing pair.

Dawgstar posted:

Do they riff the one with the 'Romeo and Juliet' law scene?

I don't think so. But the Pitch Meeting video for the movie covers that part pretty thoroughly.