Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Originally released only in Japan for the 3DO, Doctor Hauzer could easily be described as a rip-off of 'Alone in the Dark' (especially when you consider the other, more well known title from the developer was 'Overblood' which was mostly sci-fi Resident Evil....but a bit poo poo). In reality though, it may share some superficial similarities to AitD it's actually very much it's own streamlined experience. The story revolves around Adam, a jerk reporter who hangs out with an anti-social archaeologist and writes what I assume are amazing articles about the doctor being a massive poo poo heel. But one day the ol' doc goes missing and it's up to Adam to find out what happened to his golden goose (which fits cause geese are dicks). To find Hauzer though, we first must navigate his home of horrors and face the many tribulations that lay within it's walls.

Thankfully with the availability of emulation and the fact that the game was recently fan translated, you too can experience this game for yourself if you wish. The translation is available here: http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3720

Also, some of you might notice that the text goes by a bit quick and I apologize for that, but to get the game running at a suitable speed pretty much requires the internal CPU to be run at a bit higher rate and thus some text might go by fairly quickly. Thankfully it's not too much of a detriment to the experience but I figured I'd put that out there.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Bad link.

here's the correct one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94GxugtU_2Q

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
That opening music sounds less menacing and more “Uh oh, what spooooky things await our hero in the mad scientist’s lab?” Or mansion I suppose in this case.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Edvarius posted:

That opening music sounds less menacing and more “Uh oh, what spooooky things await our hero in the mad scientist’s lab?” Or mansion I suppose in this case.

Reminds me strongly of Beetlejuice. Similar tempo/progression: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaCYL04Kd8g

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

I'm a big dumb idiot, updated the link. Thank you for pointing that out to me.

Edvarius posted:

In regards to the music, it's probably a bit obvious from the video that there's not much music in the game. In fact, there's maybe four or five tracks total and the primary one that plays will get you flagged as it seems to be a fairly popular, generic 'scary' tune called "Hurry Up, Halloween's Almost Over": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7uWXtPxQqQ

But yeah, overall the soundtrack is more whimsical than outright scary, which kinda makes me question what kind of mood they were aiming for.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 20, 2017

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
That whole mansion seems like such a pain in the rear end to live in, even in its better days.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Perfect place to end the first episode.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I love how he just tosses the door knocker when it breaks.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I love how he just tosses the door knocker when it breaks.
That's kinda what I find endearing about Adam; there's no real altruistic drive behind him coming to the mansion. He just has to deal with a curmudgeon for work and now he's gotta find him or else he'll have to write about actual news. So any slight annoyances he runs into are dealt with in a begrudging fashion.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 21, 2017

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
That first death just screams of the old repetitive style of game design. Of course nowadays we think it's bad to not have any indicator where items are located, but back then we wouldn't understand why you wouldn't click on every possible object.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Honestly, aside from the aesthetics, I'm getting more of a Shadowgate vibe than an Alone in the Dark one, what with the traps as opposed to specific enemies and all, though that may just be because I'm more familiar with the former--I actually played it as opposed to only watching LPs of the latter.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

As we delve deeper into Doctor Hauzer's hauzer, the puzzles get even more nefarious and the plot finally starts to come together....a little bit. Slightly mixed up Judeo-Christian theology rears it's head as we slowly start to understand that maybe Hauzer wasn't such a bad guy. Minor spoiler though: Doctor Hauzer is still a massive nutter and rear end in a top hat

Also I had an idea for a stinger at the start of an update to show off some previous deaths but after making the first one, I think that ran a bit too long. Still I decided to include it as a lil bonus: Doctor Hauzer Bonus 1: Previously on...

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 24, 2017

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm glad at least one game figured out that 3d jumping puzzles are not fun.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

All the puzzle pieces are falling into place and the true terror of Doctor Hauzer is coming to light. But is he a simple madman luring people into a death trap laden house or is he slowly gaining immortality via human sacrifice?

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 1, 2017

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

There are some really nice and expressive faces in this game. I'm kinda surprised we are coming up on the end so quickly though, but then again most of the gameplay time would be figuring out how to avoid all the deaths.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
short or no this is an interesting slice of gaming history here

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

Hel posted:

I'm kinda surprised we are coming up on the end so quickly though, but then again most of the gameplay time would be figuring out how to avoid all the deaths.

I'm both surprised and not surprised that the game's almost over. On one hand, I understand the older gameplay design mentality behind the constant deaths. I mean, I could picture a younger me spending hours in the first couple rooms, feeling that the clicking on random objects is a challenge rather than tedium. But, I'm also expecting a Resident Evil 1 style act change, where we go from the mansion to an entirely new, maybe even disjointed, setting.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

^^^^^^^
There is definitely going to be a sudden and strange locale change, but we won't be able to enjoy it for long.

It's indeed a very strange stop gap between Alone in the Dark and Resident Evil (which I think came out a year or two after this). And really makes you look at Overblood as less of rip-off of Resident Evil and more of a successor to Doctor Hauzer (especially keeping in mind their small innovations like multiple camera angles in that game as well). I was actually thinking that maybe I'd do an updated version of Overblood next since Psycho Serum's LP hasn't really aged well. Or maybe seeing if I could make J.B. Harold Murder Club interesting to watch. Who knows?

But what I do know is that I found one article that was trying to say that Doctor Hauzer is 'cell-shaded' and I feel like that isn't really correct in the least.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 1, 2017

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

discworld is all I read posted:

J.B. Harold Murder Club

OMG. I still have the bluest of balls from when Arthur Wolfe streamed this and the game got stuck in a seemingly unwinnable state.
And Overblood was the only LP I ever guest commentated on (even though if memory serves, Psych didn't use that track in the final video, which was the right decision to be honest)
RIP Pipo

So if Dr Hauzer doesn't want anyone to get thru his house alive, why did he leave all these clues/puzzles/keys for someone to find. Surely he doesn't need all the clues to get around the hell house he built?

edit: I'm an idiot, it was the Overblood 2 LP I sort of commentated on

coleman francis fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 2, 2017

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Since we are pretty much at the end of the game, it kinda struck me to see just how quickly I could make it through the game...and it's a lot quicker than even I thought. And hell, it even allowed me to find out at least one thing that I wasn't even aware of before (though it's really only a small animation).

Let's Play Doctor Hauzer: Bonus 2- AGDQ Edition

coleman francis posted:

OMG. I still have the bluest of balls from when Arthur Wolfe streamed this and the game got stuck in a seemingly unwinnable state.
And Overblood was the only LP I ever guest commentated on (even though if memory serves, Psych didn't use that track in the final video, which was the right decision to be honest)
RIP Pipo

So if Dr Hauzer doesn't want anyone to get thru his house alive, why did he leave all these clues/puzzles/keys for someone to find. Surely he doesn't need all the clues to get around the hell house he built?

edit: I'm an idiot, it was the Overblood 2 LP I sort of commentated on
Oh Coleman, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. I'm sure your commentary was fine.

But in regards to all the keys and notes, I can only assume that was more meant for Doctor Hauzer only. It's just instead of being a key ring to get on his personage, he decided instead to spread the keys around the house. And in doing so, he's kinda laid out a rather simple means for us to make our way around.

All in all though, it's a bit tough to figure out something interesting to show off that hasn't been done to death. I mean there's been quite a few people out there that have played Overblood and just ripped it apart for it's easily noticed flaws, but there is some good to the game lying underneath and I'd like to do an LP that showed that part of the game off. Or maybe I could finish up that Dreamweb LP...cause I know there were a total of two people wanting to see the ending to that.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Or maybe I could finish up that Dreamweb LP...cause I know there were a total of two people wanting to see the ending to that.

Me and who else?

No, but seriously if you can make an LP showing off the good/ neat/ interesting parts of Overblood I'd be really interested

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

But what I do know is that I found one article that was trying to say that Doctor Hauzer is 'cell-shaded' and I feel like that isn't really correct in the least.

It isn't. The game doesn't appear to have a lighting engine at all. Instead of having light on the protagonists face, some parts are just textured to be in shadow. Same for the rest of the game - nothing appears to be actually lit, instead some parts are just textured to be darker.

It does sort of create a "cell-shaded" effect, but in proper cell-shading, things are lit, it's just that the way the light is applied is done in discrete steps and not as a gradient.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Since we are pretty much at the end of the game, it kinda struck me to see just how quickly I could make it through the game...and it's a lot quicker than even I thought. And hell, it even allowed me to find out at least one thing that I wasn't even aware of before (though it's really only a small animation).

Let's Play Doctor Hauzer: Bonus 2- AGDQ Edition

you jest but this would absolutely fit into the awful games block at a gdq and you've got good stuff to say to fill the run

though you'd need the physical original

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

I'm sure the final boss would eliminate my world record run sadly....and yeah, there is an ending boss. Hopefully I can maybe get the final video up by Friday.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So ummmmm yeah...that apparently happened and I think we won? Sure! Why not?

In the end, can we say this game was good? Eh...in the end it felt more like a tech demo for some ideas they thought were interesting and then they lightly put a story around it. Now were the aspects of a game that they were trying to demo good? Definitely. For the time, this game was not only user friendly, but it had a pretty natural flow, graphic design (like you didn't have to question what you were looking at or make bizarre guesses to solve puzzles), and it introduced some super helpful aspects to general game play (such as the multiple camera angles and never putting the player into an unwinnable situation). In the end though, it was a bit bare bones and the resolution of the story was pretty rushed and didn't really leave the player with any good explanation for what was going on. I mean if this was some setup for more games then I guess it could be interesting (like finding out there were more portals to getting to the Tree of Life and others had found those gates and not hosed up like Hauzer), but nope, this is the end of Adam's journey.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 5, 2017

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
What would've happened if you had jumped down there without the dynamite, or without the photo?

Sounds like that would've been unwinnable.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

BenRGamer posted:

What would've happened if you had jumped down there without the dynamite, or without the photo?

Sounds like that would've been unwinnable.
The translator mentioned that the game would block you and would say something like "Can't go down yet. I feel like I'm missing something." which I feel is a great decision to make on the part of the designers.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

When you mentioned a boss fight I didn't expect Bullet Hell, & honestly except for the boss I would probably say it seems like a good game for the time. I'm really glad you showed it off so well since I would never have heard of it otherwise, thanks.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Where's the cherub? Was it all in Hauzer's head!?

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 5, 2017

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

Where's the cherub? Was it all in Hauzer's head!?
I think there's a couple of possibilities there; it could be that the myth and information that Hauzer was following was mixing up the truth of the matter. That this cherub was not an angelic force but something from a different religion or faith changed in some mythos to be what Judeo/Christian faiths would see as a divine being of their own god. Or it could be the Hauzer, in all his killings and selfish motivations, had been deemed just not a right fit for the Garden of Eden and instead got a different type of immortality. I mean something there was something supernatural going on in the end but the game was fairly vague as to what it truly was...which I suppose is a bit of a mixed bag.

I mean, some vagueness to a story can be fine or maybe drawing your own conclusions but a lot of what was going on was just assuming that the mad ramblings of Hauzer were correct. A part of me wishes that in the end we just found his corpse down in the dig site with his diary entry saying that his efforts just weren't enough and that it was all in his head. But instead we get pelted with fireballs, throw a picture into his mouth and that causes him to blow up....for reasons.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Thanks for the short but sweet LP.

How much were 3d0 games back in the day? Even though if I had played this as a kid it would have blown my mind and I would be defending it to this day, its length seems kinda crummy.

Wonder why it was never ported to anything else.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

Short and disappointing, but I'm glad you showed it off. Despite it's shortcomings, it's hard to view this game as "bad"; more like an early yet earnest step. Also, I found that Hauzer face-monolith legitimately creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

coleman francis posted:

Thanks for the short but sweet LP.

How much were 3d0 games back in the day? Even though if I had played this as a kid it would have blown my mind and I would be defending it to this day, its length seems kinda crummy.

Wonder why it was never ported to anything else.
I'm wanting to say that 3DO games were normally in the $60 range but I feel this was especially short compared to other 3DO games. I actually got bored and started to watch some videos of 3DO devs playing their old games (such as Monster Manor, PO'ed, and Killing Time), and while those games were definitely longer, they were also considerably more empty. You'd have just massive FPS maps with no remarkable environment art and maybe one or two enemy varieties in the level. I don't know, maybe it was difficult to make games for the 3DO and porting them over was difficult as well. But the few games I could find that were ported from the 3DO to another platform usually did not turn out well (i.e. the PO'ed port to PS1).

Mr. Highway posted:

Short and disappointing, but I'm glad you showed it off. Despite it's shortcomings, it's hard to view this game as "bad"; more like an early yet earnest step. Also, I found that Hauzer face-monolith legitimately creepy.
Yeah, I was also glad that we could get a better look at the corpse model cause it was a lot more grisly than I had originally assumed.

• Locked thread