Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

newts posted:

And if I get them from REI I can just return them three years from now and someone else can buy them at a Garage Sale :smuggo:

One year.

Their return policy changed a few years ago to one year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Went on one of my typical 4 mile night walks with my new Moab 3 mids with a brand new pair of wool socks. Good Christ I wish I had known about better socks for the past couple of decades.

I've been wearing just the cheapest poo poo rear end Hanes socks for as long as I've been around and never again at this point for long walks.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I'm looking for some new work pants. I usually wear dickies or carhartts because im tearing through brush a lot and then having to kneel often. Usually the durability trumps weight/heat. But they suck when they get wet and im looking at 3 weeks of afternoon showers.

This next gig shouldnt be as much brush/mesquite/thorns to navigate, but a reinforced knee would be great. Figure hiking 5-6 miles per day carrying work pack, every 50 feet drop to the knees to dig shallow hole and plant sensor. Any suggestions for lighter weight with a tougher knee? I am going to go cheap because they're going to get trashed and they aren't anything I'd wear on my free time. Usually have gas, oil, etc on them by hour 1 on day 1.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

pumped up for school posted:

I'm looking for some new work pants. I usually wear dickies or carhartts because im tearing through brush a lot and then having to kneel often. Usually the durability trumps weight/heat. But they suck when they get wet and im looking at 3 weeks of afternoon showers.

This next gig shouldnt be as much brush/mesquite/thorns to navigate, but a reinforced knee would be great. Figure hiking 5-6 miles per day carrying work pack, every 50 feet drop to the knees to dig shallow hole and plant sensor. Any suggestions for lighter weight with a tougher knee? I am going to go cheap because they're going to get trashed and they aren't anything I'd wear on my free time. Usually have gas, oil, etc on them by hour 1 on day 1.

Not sure what's out there that's cheaper than Dickies, but for lightweight pants in wet weather I would be wearing something full synthetic potentially with integrated kneepads for your use case. I think workwear with these characteristics is $100+ a pair though.

I know wrangler makes some cheaper full synth pants but they won't have reinforced knees: https://www.wrangler.com/shop/mens-wrangler-flex-waist-outdoor-cargo-pant-NW780.html?merchCategory=WRG_MEN_PANTS&dwvar_NW780_color=NW788FR

No idea how these would hold up to getting repeatedly doused with oil and gas, but presumably not as well as cotton.

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

Manzoon posted:

Went on one of my typical 4 mile night walks with my new Moab 3 mids with a brand new pair of wool socks. Good Christ I wish I had known about better socks for the past couple of decades.

I've been wearing just the cheapest poo poo rear end Hanes socks for as long as I've been around and never again at this point for long walks.

Darn Tough and SmartWool socks are your friends. Spendy friends, but worth it imo.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Not sure what's out there that's cheaper than Dickies, but for lightweight pants in wet weather I would be wearing something full synthetic potentially with integrated kneepads for your use case. I think workwear with these characteristics is $100+ a pair though.

I know wrangler makes some cheaper full synth pants but they won't have reinforced knees: https://www.wrangler.com/shop/mens-wrangler-flex-waist-outdoor-cargo-pant-NW780.html?merchCategory=WRG_MEN_PANTS&dwvar_NW780_color=NW788FR

No idea how these would hold up to getting repeatedly doused with oil and gas, but presumably not as well as cotton.
I got a couple of pairs of synthetic wranglers last year. For some reason they didn't stick for fieldwork (I think it was shallow hip pockets) but I do use them for chores around the house/yard and walking the dogs. Thanks for suggesting!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I"m gradually converting to Darn Tough and tossing out my lovely garbage cotton socks.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I slowly made the transition to all darn tough a while ago, and I use their warranty to replace about half the pairs annually for just a few bucks of shipping, it's good

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

withak posted:

I"m gradually converting to Darn Tough and tossing out my lovely garbage cotton socks.
I was super disappointed in my first pair of DT socks. Maybe I just got a bad pair, they pilled really bad and that seems the opposite of everyone else's experiences. I've been wearing Merrill blends and they're thicker (I prefer the cushion over thin so it works for me) and have been holding up better to washing/drying cycles.

For my cheap work socks I've been buying these "Weatherproof" brand from Costco. They aren't near the quality of a good hiking sock but for the in-between they hit a sweet spot. 5 pairs in store was $11-12. The other day I just bought 3 packs of 5 pairs and threw them into my 2-week bag.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

withak posted:

I've been doing the same. Usually by picking up a pair every time I go to REI, especially when they are on sale. All of my pairs had been midweights with cushion, but I just picked up a pair of lightweights. I really like those for daily office use. But within a couple of weeks, one sock went MIA. I know it is in the house because I remember taking them off and putting them in the dirty basket. It probably ended up hitching a ride with one of my kids' loads of laundry and is now hidden in the bowels of their room.

My solution was to just buy another pair of the same sock. Now I have three until the AWOL one shows up.

I've had good luck so far as my sasquatch toenails have not even left a mark on any of the toe boxes.

Fake edit: Mrs. Trophy and Trophy Jr. are also DT addicts now.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

I was super disappointed in my first pair of DT socks. Maybe I just got a bad pair, they pilled really bad and that seems the opposite of everyone else's experiences. I've been wearing Merrill blends and they're thicker (I prefer the cushion over thin so it works for me) and have been holding up better to washing/drying cycles.

For my cheap work socks I've been buying these "Weatherproof" brand from Costco. They aren't near the quality of a good hiking sock but for the in-between they hit a sweet spot. 5 pairs in store was $11-12. The other day I just bought 3 packs of 5 pairs and threw them into my 2-week bag.

In Darn Tough talk, I got a 6 pack of these 5 years ago that I've been using as my only running socks that entire time. No idea if they're available anywhere anymore, or what the current version of them might be if not. They've been amazing though, and I will happily buy more if I ever need to.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B7MMT2G

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

armorer posted:

In Darn Tough talk, I got a 6 pack of these 5 years ago that I've been using as my only running socks that entire time. No idea if they're available anywhere anymore, or what the current version of them might be if not. They've been amazing though, and I will happily buy more if I ever need to.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B7MMT2G

This might be the latest iteration? https://www.rei.com/product/128814/darn-tough-hiker-quarter-cushion-socks-mens?cm_mmc=aff_AL-_-38931-_-52463-_-NA&avad=52463_e2adb5f41. I don't think I've seen multi-packs of DT socks in a while though.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Verman posted:

One year.

Their return policy changed a few years ago to one year.

drat. Well one year of use is still pretty good. I’ve seen some stuff at Garage Sales that looked like someone found it during an archeological dig.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

I would look at synthetic bird hunting pants (upland pants). They are a full length pant, usually cotton or synthetic, but with reinforced "chaps" shin/knees for walking through thick brush. I have some from Eddie Bauer when they still made hunting stuff and I love them. Cabela's/bass pro shops should have some. I think Duluth also has some but their fire hose material is like 95% cotton canvas.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
Maybe I’m picking the wrong ones, but DT has never worked for me. Smartwool forever!

Ok, here’s my random question: for camping in places with bears, should I be using all unscented things? I’m wondering if bringing unscented deodorant is necessary? Is there anything else I should bring/not bring in this scenario? There are bear boxes at the campsite, but I’ve never camped in places with bears before…

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Verman posted:

I would look at synthetic bird hunting pants (upland pants). They are a full length pant, usually cotton or synthetic, but with reinforced "chaps" shin/knees for walking through thick brush. I have some from Eddie Bauer when they still made hunting stuff and I love them. Cabela's/bass pro shops should have some. I think Duluth also has some but their fire hose material is like 95% cotton canvas.

This is perfect, thank you. This was one of those cases where I saw what I wanted in my head but didn't know what to search for. I'll get a single pair, and if they hold up I'll splurge for a few more. As I'm getting older the heavier pants start to wear at my hips by end of day.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

liz posted:

Maybe I’m picking the wrong ones, but DT has never worked for me. Smartwool forever!

Ok, here’s my random question: for camping in places with bears, should I be using all unscented things? I’m wondering if bringing unscented deodorant is necessary? Is there anything else I should bring/not bring in this scenario? There are bear boxes at the campsite, but I’ve never camped in places with bears before…

Strange, I've always had more success with DT over smartwool. SW tend to break down much faster whereas darn tough seem to stay in tact longer in my experience.

For the bears, it sort of depends. Every area will vary because bears in certain areas might be more aggressive/curious than others. Super high traffic touristy campgrounds in places like Yosemite are notorious for bear encounters because people are idiots and don't know how to secure food and let bears be wild. They associate populated areas with easy meals. Black bears vs grizzlies also change the situation a lot. You should always practice good food/camp cleanliness regardless but its much more important around grizzly/brown bear country. Black bears will usually scare off and are not too big of a threat to humans (though its not zero). They're essentially big raccoons who want an easy meal. Brown bears can basically have anything they want because they're an apex predator. You're not going to scare them away and they pose a much bigger threat.

If you're staying in an established drive-in campground where there are multiple sites and people in close proximity, odds are your scented or unscented items aren't going to make a difference. The average person has pretty poor food/trash hygiene when camping. People leave food out in the open, in easily openable containers, trash bags just sitting around. Food scraps all over the table/ground. Most sites are small enough that people just cook right in their campsite. If a campground has a bear box, its likely for a reason and you should always use it. Don't leave any food or trash unattended.

If you're in a backcountry site, you should follow whatever the area requires. Most places will likely say to hang food or bring a bear canister. They might even get so specific as to which canister you can use.

The biggest rules will always be not to bring food or scented items (deodorant, snacks, lip balm etc) into your tent. Like, ever. Keep a clean camp and ideally try to cook and store your food a decent amount of distance away from where you sleep whenever possible.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Bears sniffers are so good that they can probably smell the laundry detergent you used to wash the clothes you’re wearing, but that’s completely unexciting to them compared to the smorgasbord you have in the tree or the bear box. As said above just store scented stuff with your food and you’ll be fine

Also don’t wear deodorant while backpacking because part of the fun is seeing if you can knock honest passerby out with your stench when you get back to civilization.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think this deodorant is safe around bears: https://www.thecrystal.com/products/mineral-deodorant-stick-unscented

I always go to great lengths to keep odors down in camp, but I assume I'm just carrying the food smells into the tent at night on my breath.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I assume I'm just carrying the food smells into the tent at night on my breath.

And the clothes you wore while cooking/eating.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's true. I haven't been able to bring myself to have a special set of cooking clothes that are stored with the food.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Verman posted:

And the clothes you wore while cooking/eating.

drat, this is making me nervous… I’ve only ever seen a bear once face to face on a trail and I don’t want to ever repeat that experience because it was a mama foraging and she literally lifted a log with one paw.

There’s only so much I can do about my clothing scents. I’ll be with a large group camping so I don’t think my own actions will make that much of a difference when there’s like 12 others who may or may not follow those rules.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

My little old tent. Went with me to many a festival. But it's getting old, and the last couple of times i used it, it hasn't rained so i have no idea if it was still any good.
So today i put it outside in the backyard in the rain.

And it's time to let it go. After a few hours (with no one in it) droplets are forming on the inside of the outer shell. It's not so bad that the droplets are falling down, but the outer shell definitely has become permeable.

The inside of the outer shell feels rubbery, it's likely coated with urethane which just doesn't last forever.

Synthetic tents aren't supposed to have droplets forming on the inside, right? I know condensation is inevitable, but this is really seeping (slowly) through the fabric.

I'm really doubting if i'm just gonna buy another one of this type with the pull cords to 'pitch' it in literally less than a minute, or go for something lighter and smaller to pack, but with traditional tent poles.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 9, 2022

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

liz posted:

drat, this is making me nervous… I’ve only ever seen a bear once face to face on a trail and I don’t want to ever repeat that experience because it was a mama foraging and she literally lifted a log with one paw.

There’s only so much I can do about my clothing scents. I’ll be with a large group camping so I don’t think my own actions will make that much of a difference when there’s like 12 others who may or may not follow those rules.

You should be fine with this big of a group. Bear probably won't want to mess with a crowd that large unless someone goes wandering off covered in Slim Jims.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
I was out on a day hike on the trails behind my house. It is a pretty extensive system with a lot of variation and vertical, so people often shown up to it with full load outs for training for upcoming multi day hikes. I see a lot of the big manufacturers like Osprey, Gregory, REI and some of the smaller boutique stuff like ULA an Zpacks.

But yesterday I saw something new to me in person. There was a couple out there with some Liteways. They are made in Ukraine and are still sewing and cutting despite the Russian Invasion. They both had the pack in the link listed below. One pack was pre-invasion and the other was delivered 3 months ago. They were both happy with their purchases and liked the build quality. From what I could see they looked decent, sort of like the ULA.

So if you want to help the Ukraine economy and get what looks like a decent pack, November seems to be the current delivery date.

They also have quilts, shelters, clothing a few other miscellaneous items. I'd be interested to hear if any of you have tried their products.

https://liteway.equipment/packs/elementum-pack-x-pac-50l

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

liz posted:

One thing to remember is that there are no guarantees either way. Ive seen people leave cooked food out in the open overnight in bear country and not have any issues. I've also heard of people doing all the right things and still have an inquisitive bear still come to investigate. Honestly most times you'll likely encounter rodents, deer, or raccoons.

All you can do is your best to keep things clean and tidy, put your food and trash away how it is recommended for the area (hang, box, or bin). Don't worry too much about it. Wear ear plugs at night. Don't eat in and around your tent if you're backpacking. Don't toss your gray water near your tent.

One a side note, I bought a new air pad. Big agnes rapide sl. Its about the same R value (4.3) as my insulated Q core (5) but lighter (10oz lighter). I also really like the valves and pump system compared to the old singular valve. It took forever to inflate and deflate. The new valves make really quick work of both. It seems pretty comfortable and its about a half pound lighter. I used it once so far and it was pretty comfy, maybe slightly narrower but the outside rails are thicker so it keeps you centered easier. I'll be curious about the longevity of this pad. My last one lasted 8 years.

Verman fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 9, 2022

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Beezus posted:

Darn Tough and SmartWool socks are your friends. Spendy friends, but worth it imo.

I've got two pairs of crew cut smartwool socks with REai branding that were on sale for $10 a piece and I also picked up some farm to feet ankle cut sport socks to wear with my regular sneakers.

Will aboslitely try Darn Tough and a couple other brands. I don't see myself buying cotton socks again quite frankly.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

LimaBiker posted:

My little old tent. Went with me to many a festival. But it's getting old, and the last couple of times i used it, it hasn't rained so i have no idea if it was still any good.
So today i put it outside in the backyard in the rain.

And it's time to let it go. After a few hours (with no one in it) droplets are forming on the inside of the outer shell. It's not so bad that the droplets are falling down, but the outer shell definitely has become permeable.

The inside of the outer shell feels rubbery, it's likely coated with urethane which just doesn't last forever.

Synthetic tents aren't supposed to have droplets forming on the inside, right? I know condensation is inevitable, but this is really seeping (slowly) through the fabric.

I'm really doubting if i'm just gonna buy another one of this type with the pull cords to 'pitch' it in literally less than a minute, or go for something lighter and smaller to pack, but with traditional tent poles.

Since you're considering a different style it might not help you, but they do sell waterproofer. You just set the tent up and spray it like you would spray paint.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Tent waterproofer is a thing but if the fabric is delaminating there's no saving it. I got a tent from a friend thinking it would be cool for car camping and the inside membrane was sticky and started peeling away from the fabric making it not waterproof at all. I thought about saving it but once I saw the parking it was time for the trash.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Been thinking a lot about what I'll do for a bag and wondering if anyone has experience with the Paria quilts (or if anyone else has a suggestion of similar cost).

https://www.pariaoutdoorproducts.com/collections/affordable-backpacking-gear-sleeping-bags-pads/products/thermodown-15-down-quilt

I'm shaped like a pear with broad shoulders and most of the mummy type bags look pretty confining. Also irritating that I'm 5'-10" which is like the exact line most bags seem to go from small to tall.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

They're a little more expensive but I got an Enlightened Equipment Revelation and it's been, well, a revelation. I've also got very wide shoulders and am 5'10" and the long/wide EE quilt is perfect, a little extra length helps keep it from being too short to really pull it up around your neck and shoulders if it's cold while not being constricting in the footbox. The dimensions on it are 84"x58" which is right about the same for the long Paria. I wasn't entirely sure if I would like the quilt vs. a bag but it's been great for me.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I’ve got a new ish pack the straps keep slipping on. My first idea was to put a ranger band around it the same way the keepers are but cinched up tight to the buckles thinking the friction would keep it stable, but no dice.

What should I try next, replace the buckles?

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

charliebravo77 posted:

They're a little more expensive but I got an Enlightened Equipment Revelation and it's been, well, a revelation. I've also got very wide shoulders and am 5'10" and the long/wide EE quilt is perfect, a little extra length helps keep it from being too short to really pull it up around your neck and shoulders if it's cold while not being constricting in the footbox. The dimensions on it are 84"x58" which is right about the same for the long Paria. I wasn't entirely sure if I would like the quilt vs. a bag but it's been great for me.

Thanks for the info. Yeah the Enigma quilts were what I saw as the gold standard and something I can see getting later, still getting all my gear and that is a bit pricey for me at the moment. That Paria long quilt is probably what I'll aim for to start out with based on what you said about sizing.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I keep wanting to buy a roof top tent even though I know better.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I want one just for the street cred it will give me even though I couldn't fit me and my boys all in it

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I definitely should get a $4000 RTT and put it on a $5000 overlanding trailer for the same cost as a used actual travel trailer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just get a teardrop. :v:

If you're gonna go down the road of luxury might as well get something with a kitchen and a proper mattress. Granted they'll put you in the hole $30k or more but that's the entry fee for being an ~*overlander*~

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

xzzy posted:

Just get a teardrop. :v:

If you're gonna go down the road of luxury might as well get something with a kitchen and a proper mattress. Granted they'll put you in the hole $30k or more but that's the entry fee for being an ~*overlander*~

Yeah its amazing that a 8' teardrop costs as much as a 25' full trailer with a full bathroom.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I want to try one of these for my trip in September. Any specific recommendations?

I wound up getting a Culo Clean and it worked famously. I brought a 0.5L smartwater bottle as a dedicated reservoir because I was worried about doo doo water splashing on my drinking bottle, but it didn't seem to be a problem. Had a clean bottom and didn't need to pack out any used TP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I keep wanting to buy a roof top tent even though I know better.

I see a ton of these things now and they’re always on top pristine Toyota 4Runners or Tacomas with the raised platform over the bed.

Bring back pickup bed campers.