Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Make sure whatever size tarp you get is slightly smaller than your tent. Otherwise you'll have water pooling up under your tent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

$22 Wise Owl Outfitters Wisefly Hammock Tarp 11x9 (woot)

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Hello outdoorsy goons, this may well be the dumbest thing I've ever asked on SA (and that's saying something) but.. anyone know how I release this kind of valve on an air mattress, to deflate the thing? Can't find the answer anywhere online, which I presume means it's super obvious but I'm just missing it. Have tried messing with that little tongue thing inside the nozzle but nothing seems to trigger the valve to open. Just trying to force air out doesn't seem to work so it's definitely not open as is..

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
What is the product here? I have a few air mattresses with two valves - one intended for filling and another for deflating, although you can still deflate them via the inflation valve if you hold a flap open that's in there.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Unscrew it. You only have the top portion unscrewed in that photo. That's the inflation valve. There is a valve there to prevent it from leaking air as you inflate. The next portion also unscrews which should allow all air to come out.

The inflate cap screws onto the main cap. Both unscrew.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
That was my thought as well. Look for a second valve somewhere, which would likely be a dedicated deflate valve.

Edit:

Hdip posted:

Unscrew it. You only have the top portion unscrewed in that photo. That's the inflation valve. There is a valve there to prevent it from leaking air as you inflate. The next portion also unscrews which should allow all air to come out.

The inflate cap screws onto the main cap. Both unscrew.

While I was typing, Hdip posted what is actually probably the correct answer. That's what I get for not looking closely enough.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Thanks folks. Inherited it from an old housemate. It's an old John Lewis product but doesn't have branding or any instructions that I can find. I could see that the base of the valve itself unscrews, was unsure about messing with that in case it causes problems with slow unintentional deflation over time. But it does look like the only option.

For whatever reason I had thought that that little rubber thing in the middle of the valve nozzle would do something to trigger the valve lol.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
That little tab sticking out of the inflate portion is to mess with when you're laying on it. If you pump it up to firm and want it to be a bit softer. You can use your finger to tap that little valve and let out tiny bits of air.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Hdip posted:

That little tab sticking out of the inflate portion is to mess with when you're laying on it. If you pump it up to firm and want it to be a bit softer. You can use your finger to tap that little valve and let out tiny bits of air.

:hmmyes: Flick the bean to make it whistle. Got it.

As an Empath...
Aug 19, 2022
I purchased a pair of MSR Evo Trail Hiking Snowshoes and they're already broken after two months of light daily use. I didn't even have a chance to do anything especially adventurous with them; I've mostly used them to take my dog on his nightly walk (about 1.5 to 2 miles on groomed trails). I went on MSR's website to start their warranty process and it might be eight to twelve weeks before I hear back from them. That's a good chunk of what's left in the season so that's kind of a bummer. Has anyone else had to reach out to MSR lately?

In the meantime, I'm on the lookout for a replacement pair. Does anyone have snowshoe recommendations? I'm totally willing to invest in a quality set that will last since I use them on a regular basis. Daily use would be on groomed trails but I like to go backcountry hiking occasionally too. Thanks in advance! :)

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I warrantied a Gravityworks filter through Cascade Designs and…yeah…it took quite a while.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

As an Empath... posted:

I purchased a pair of MSR Evo Trail Hiking Snowshoes and they're already broken after two months of light daily use. I didn't even have a chance to do anything especially adventurous with them; I've mostly used them to take my dog on his nightly walk (about 1.5 to 2 miles on groomed trails). I went on MSR's website to start their warranty process and it might be eight to twelve weeks before I hear back from them. That's a good chunk of what's left in the season so that's kind of a bummer. Has anyone else had to reach out to MSR lately?

In the meantime, I'm on the lookout for a replacement pair. Does anyone have snowshoe recommendations? I'm totally willing to invest in a quality set that will last since I use them on a regular basis. Daily use would be on groomed trails but I like to go backcountry hiking occasionally too. Thanks in advance! :)

When you say groomed trails, I assume you mean groomed snow? Just making sure you're only using them on deep snow that requires snowshoes, since I've seen people wearing them on icy sidewalks and stuff occasionally and that's likely not great for them.

That sucks that they broke after only 2 months. I would expect better from MSR. Although daily use for 2 months is more use than I've gotten out of mine in multiple seasons of weekend adventures. Where did they break?

If your groomed trails are solidly packed and not a posthole risk, you may try just using micro spikes when possible. Half the groomed trails we go on I use my Kahtoola spikes for a lot of the trip just because it's easier to walk (until I start postholing).

As an Empath...
Aug 19, 2022

incogneato posted:

When you say groomed trails, I assume you mean groomed snow? Just making sure you're only using them on deep snow that requires snowshoes, since I've seen people wearing them on icy sidewalks and stuff occasionally and that's likely not great for them.

That sucks that they broke after only 2 months. I would expect better from MSR. Although daily use for 2 months is more use than I've gotten out of mine in multiple seasons of weekend adventures. Where did they break?

If your groomed trails are solidly packed and not a posthole risk, you may try just using micro spikes when possible. Half the groomed trails we go on I use my Kahtoola spikes for a lot of the trip just because it's easier to walk (until I start postholing).

Sorry, I should have been more specific. They are groomed snow trails; we currently have around three feet of snow so I would hope that's deep enough. :) I have not worn them on any sidewalks or paved surfaces. I live right next to the trail system so I can basically walk from my backyard and connect to trails that are maintained by the local nordic ski club. I have a pair of Kahtoola Microspikes but I'm not sure if they'd be an ideal replacement for my situation. There have been a few times where I've had to go off trail to avoid a moose encounter and it'd be really difficult to maneuver in waist deep snow without snowshoes.

The front part of the crampon component broke off completely on one shoe and it's cracked on the other. Generally, I love MSR but I am not impressed with these snowshoes.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I use tubbs, I'm heavy and hard on equipment generally and nothing more than scratches after 2 years

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

As an Empath... posted:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. They are groomed snow trails; we currently have around three feet of snow so I would hope that's deep enough. :) I have not worn them on any sidewalks or paved surfaces. I live right next to the trail system so I can basically walk from my backyard and connect to trails that are maintained by the local nordic ski club. I have a pair of Kahtoola Microspikes but I'm not sure if they'd be an ideal replacement for my situation. There have been a few times where I've had to go off trail to avoid a moose encounter and it'd be really difficult to maneuver in waist deep snow without snowshoes.

The front part of the crampon component broke off completely on one shoe and it's cracked on the other. Generally, I love MSR but I am not impressed with these snowshoes.

Yeah, that's totally a legitimate use for snowshoes and pretty disappointing performance from MSR.

I will say I'm using the same pair of MSR Lightning Ascents that my dad used probably 15+ years ago and they're doing fine. But I'm far from a snowshoe expert, so I'm not sure if just going up to a snowshoe that isn't fully plastic construction would actually help.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I honestly look at anything MSR really skeptically now. Everyone I know has an aged piece of kit from them that just keeps going, but it's a frequent refrain that the new models aren't as robust.

Seems like everyone has a story of a piece of MSR kit failing and some (like your snowshoes, or the massive issues they have had with leaky tents and breaking poles) are unacceptable for something I'm relying on to keep me safe in the backcountry.

That said, they sell a lot of stuff. I wonder if their reliability is really that bad as a percentage of units produced.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've bought one MSR pocket rocket and one of the arms became unusably bent when the stove was dropped from a picnic table height. That's a 100% failure rate!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

xzzy posted:

I've bought one MSR pocket rocket and one of the arms became unusably bent when the stove was dropped from a picnic table height. That's a 100% failure rate!

Same lol

As an Empath...
Aug 19, 2022

COPE 27 posted:

I use tubbs, I'm heavy and hard on equipment generally and nothing more than scratches after 2 years

Cool, I will definitely check out that brand. Thank you!

incogneato posted:

Yeah, that's totally a legitimate use for snowshoes and pretty disappointing performance from MSR.

I will say I'm using the same pair of MSR Lightning Ascents that my dad used probably 15+ years ago and they're doing fine. But I'm far from a snowshoe expert, so I'm not sure if just going up to a snowshoe that isn't fully plastic construction would actually help.

My boyfriend also has an older pair of MSR snowshoes (Denali, I think?) and they're still going strong. Their overall construction seems more solid and higher quality than my Evos.

Strangely enough, the plastic frame is not what broke on my snowshoes. I'm not sure if it's visible in the photos but it looks like there's rust developing around the rivet holes. Again, not worn on any paved surfaces and they are the appropriate size for my height/weight.

I'm glad they didn't break while I was in the middle of nowhere.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Are deal posts ok here? Because if anyone is looking for a new chair, REI has NEMO stuff on clearance for a pretty good price. I am finally going to retire my crummy stool and lounge in comfort on a Moonliter now. Its here: https://www.rei.com/b/nemo/c/camp-chairs?pagesize=90

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hm. Wonder if I could flip my old Alite chair to some weeb to fund one of those.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Speaking of chairs - does anyone have a recommendation for a lightweight chair with a normal height seat? I have a Helinox which I like but it's so low to the ground that my now hosed knees suffer each time I get in or out of it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Hey my wife and I want to get a car-camping tent with two rooms that will let us take our now-2-year-old daughter camping with us for many years to come. We need two rooms because otherwise she will just climb on top of us in the middle of the night and no one will get any sleep. We also need to be able to stand up inside —that’s a must have for my wife.

Does anyone have a recommendation? We’re thinking the REI Wonderland 6 or Marmot Limestone 8 are the best fit for our needs but maybe there are others we haven’t seen.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
We've been very satisfied with our North Face Wawona. It costs a bit more, but I'm happy with our choice.

Edit: I should add that we've only used it a handful of times so far, so I can't speak to long term durability.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Which size is yours? Does it have two separate interior spaces?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I have a Wawona 6 and I love it, but it doesn't have any internal divisions.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Apollodorus posted:

Which size is yours? Does it have two separate interior spaces?

armorer posted:

I have a Wawona 6 and I love it, but it doesn't have any internal divisions.

Ah sorry, we have the 4 and I just assumed a size up had a divider.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
The Wawona 8 has the divider but the 6 doesn't. You know your kid but I'm not sure I would want to trust a divider to keep out any of the determined 2 year olds I've had experience with.

As another Wawona 6 owner I can say it's been great for the 2+ years I've had it, including in some pretty awful summer thunderstorms.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

As another Wawona 6 owner I can say it's been great for the 2+ years I've had it, including in some pretty awful summer thunderstorms.

Yeah I've had mine in several multi-day hard rain storms and it's stayed dry inside. Really pretty amazed by it tbh. I've had mine 3 years now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

yaffle posted:

Speaking of chairs - does anyone have a recommendation for a lightweight chair with a normal height seat? I have a Helinox which I like but it's so low to the ground that my now hosed knees suffer each time I get in or out of it.

Maybe the Big Agnes Big Six camp chair? At 3lbs it’s not ultralight and it packs pretty big but the closest lightweight option to a regular sized camp chair you’re gonna find

https://www.bigagnes.com/collections/chairs/products/big-six-camp-chair

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Anyone looking for a lightweight, compact backpacking chair: rei has the Nemo Moonlite on clearance for $75 (50% off.)
Just picked one up. It's half the weight and almost half the packed size of my current chair.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

If anyone else is annoyed by carrying around fuel canisters I tried out the esbit small solid fuel stove. Works as advertised, ~110g including enough fuel to boil 1L of water. Only downside is its slower than a propane stove and leaves quite a bit of soot on the bottom.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Esbits are fun. They also stink to high heaven. I still bring one or two for backup on winter hikes.

Alcohol stoves are still my go to, but I understand people at west can't use them due to fire restrictions.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Esbits are fun. They also stink to high heaven. I still bring one or two for backup on winter hikes.

Alcohol stoves are still my go to, but I understand people at west can't use them due to fire restrictions.

Yeah, or can't use them after~mid summer at any rate.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

its all nice on rice posted:

Anyone looking for a lightweight, compact backpacking chair: rei has the Nemo Moonlite on clearance for $75 (50% off.)
Just picked one up. It's half the weight and almost half the packed size of my current chair.

Seems like a good deal but I have yet to take a trip that justifies carrying even an ultralight camp chair. I just car camp with a cheaper heavier sturdier camp chair, and I sit on a rock, log, or the ground in the wilderness. Are you guys backpacking with these things?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

If I want seating options, I bring an ENO solo hammock for camp lounging (this is in addition to my tent). It packs smaller, is more versatile, and more comfortable in my experience.

Doesn't feel as comfortable above tree-line for some reason, though.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I take mine backpacking, yeah. Rocks and logs are perfectly comfortable most of the time (especially with a foam sit pad), but the back support from a chair is very welcome after lugging around a pack all day.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I bring a small chair or stool on most of my trips. Usually only about a pound and we’ll worth it at the end of the day. I’m not an ultralighter and find it to be worth it’s weight for breaks along the trail.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
I'll bring it on trips where I'm going to have a lot of downtime, usually that's on trips with friends and they've got chairs too. You don't want to be the only one without a chair.

Otherwise I just cut the weight. I like to keep hiking past sunset and once it's dark there's no point setting up a chair instead of my tent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I bring a small chair or stool on most of my trips. Usually only about a pound and we’ll worth it at the end of the day. I’m not an ultralighter and find it to be worth it’s weight for breaks along the trail.

I have been backpacking with an REI Flexlite Air for the past year. I weights in at just a pound and has handled my 200 pounds well so far. Full retail is $100, but several times a year they go on sale for REI members for $50.