Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I have a ReVolt that happened to. Glad to hear it’s a known thing and not just poo poo luck. I thought I had lost it, so I picked up a Nitecore NU20 and like it quite a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

I have a different model ReVolt and I hope you have a standalone battery charger. If they drain too much (in my case, it was left near empty and then stored for off-season) the headlamp won’t actually charge the batteries anymore until you throw them in a wall charger. I couldn’t be bothered and just switched to using normal batteries in the drat thing, what a waste.

Ah poo poo, that’s a real bummer. I do have LiPo pack chargers that’d work with the battery if that happens, but man what a bad design decision. Possibly it’s been fixed in the newest version? I’ll have to report back next spring or when the pack completely dies

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

OSU_Matthew posted:

Ah poo poo, that’s a real bummer. I do have LiPo pack chargers that’d work with the battery if that happens, but man what a bad design decision. Possibly it’s been fixed in the newest version? I’ll have to report back next spring or when the pack completely dies

Could be, is yours a single piece? The ones that came with the old revolts were just BD branded standard rechargeable NiMH AAA batteries.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Could be, is yours a single piece? The ones that came with the old revolts were just BD branded standard rechargeable NiMH AAA batteries.

Yup! It’s a single square lipo battery pack, roughly the size of three AAAs combined. Looks to be you just pop it out and swap with disposable batteries if need be on the trail.

Which, I kinda hate that mindset. If I’m worried about charge, I’m likely gonna have a USB battery pack to plug it into and recharge, gently caress single use disposable batteries. That’s about the dumbest poo poo mankind has ever made. I’d much rather they designed a larger lipo pack cavity than worry about accommodating AAAs

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Yup! It’s a single square lipo battery pack, roughly the size of three AAAs combined. Looks to be you just pop it out and swap with disposable batteries if need be on the trail.

Which, I kinda hate that mindset. If I’m worried about charge, I’m likely gonna have a USB battery pack to plug it into and recharge, gently caress single use disposable batteries. That’s about the dumbest poo poo mankind has ever made. I’d much rather they designed a larger lipo pack cavity than worry about accommodating AAAs

It makes perfect sense as a backup option on a headlamp for folks who aren't going to be carrying a power brick. If I'm 3 days into the backcountry with a 45lb pack of climbing gear and a good chance of being out in the dark trying to make my way down off a peak, it's nice to have 3xAAA tucked away.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I bought a toaks D115 900ml cup with short handles. My jetboil minimo has short handles, never had a problem. Well I put some silicone tubing to the Toaks cup handles, maybe they get hot? Temp resistance 200C.

First use, the silicone tube in handles started to burn with a flame!!!! Rip. Now what.. less silicone tubing, smaller gas burner power setting...?

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I use a small cotton rag cut from an old shirt to grab the handle if it’s hot. It’s probably the most multipurpose piece of equipment I have. Good for cleaning the cutlery, prefiltering gunk from dirty water and it keeps the stuff I pack inside the pot from rattling around.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

j.peeba posted:

I use a small cotton rag cut from an old shirt to grab the handle if it’s hot. It’s probably the most multipurpose piece of equipment I have. Good for cleaning the cutlery, prefiltering gunk from dirty water and it keeps the stuff I pack inside the pot from rattling around.

Bandanas are like a dollar and are brightly colored so you can find them easily, and when it's still clean you can tie it around your face when you're stopping for gas on the way to the trailhead.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

I bought a toaks D115 900ml cup with short handles. My jetboil minimo has short handles, never had a problem. Well I put some silicone tubing to the Toaks cup handles, maybe they get hot? Temp resistance 200C.

First use, the silicone tube in handles started to burn with a flame!!!! Rip. Now what.. less silicone tubing, smaller gas burner power setting...?

Turn the burner off and wait for like 5-10 seconds and the handles will cool off.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My UL bandanna cost $37.50.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Welding gloves are game changers for cooking over a fire when car camping. Just grab a burning log or embers and put em where you want em. My shins or biceps get hot before my fingers do.

Went car camping this past weekend and brought all my frivolous poo poo. 2 cast iron dutch ovens and 2 cast iron pans. Night 1, I made a stew of kielbasa, cabbage, and potato, and baked bread in the other dutch oven. Night 2, made a big ol' pot of chili with a side of corn bread. The welding gloves were the MVPs of that weekend. Better than loving around with a poker, grabbers, or weird shovel.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 2, 2020

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Xmas came early this year.

Did a trade that got me a Hennessy Safari setup:

And acquired a Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape and NetTent.

Gonna use both this coming long weekend for a trip. The Safari is HUGE compared to my Expedition.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've never been in a hammock with the sides guyed out, how is it compared to a regular one?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Stringent posted:

I've never been in a hammock with the sides guyed out, how is it compared to a regular one?

Makes no real difference. It’s shock cord so lets it move around a fair bit. Just makes it easier to hop in.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Building up a med kit for backpacking, maybe 2-3 days max. I think I have all the essentials, but any y'all have something oddball or not super obvious that you recommend packing?

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Casu Marzu posted:

Building up a med kit for backpacking, maybe 2-3 days max. I think I have all the essentials, but any y'all have something oddball or not super obvious that you recommend packing?

Dunno if it's obvious or not but I added some quick clot to my most recent kit. I expect if I ever have to use it it's probably going to be followed by an PLB activation.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

More immodium. Then, more than that.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Chard posted:

More immodium. Then, more than that.

And one of these: https://www.amazon.com/HW300-W-Portable-Travel-Washlet-White/dp/B008O1G4LQ/ref=sr_1_1

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Casu Marzu posted:

Tick Key, irrigation bottle, ibuprofen,
dehydrated towelettes, zinc chafing relief, little bit of leukotape for blisters, liquid bandaid.

I figure scrapes, ticks, and abrasion is probably what I’ll run into. I also keep some aqua pure treatment tabs in there bag as a backup. Oh, and I recently added a splinter out lancet. Plus nail clippers and tweezers.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
There are little single serve burn gel sachets you can get. Fortunately I haven't had to use one yet so I can't tell you how well they work, but they were a new thing to me last time I put together a first aid kit and they weigh almost nothing.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
How the gently caress are you supposed to get into a hammock, clothed, in a sleeping bag + liner, with every layer of fabric in its place and not bunched up everywhere? I dont get it. It takes me like 5 minutes of mad spinning around to finally get everything sort of in its place :(

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Quilts are much better suited for hammocks than sleeping bags.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Also sleeping bags are a lot better suited for sleeping in a tent than quilts.. at least in Finland. I've never been cold in a sleeping bag but numerous times in a quilt. Just a personal preference of course.

Anyways, I bought a Soto windmaster and a 0,9L Toaks D115 (11,5cm diameter) titanium cup. They are hot garbage as a combo. WIth my Jetboil minimo I use 25-30g gas in a day. Yesterday went to a one-night test trip and I used 44 grams with Soto+Toaks and didn't even make supper! So 44 grams for breakfast, lunch & dinner. That's easily over 50g, maybe even near 60 grams if I had made supper.

That "UL" cook kit uses like 50-100% more gas! I can maaaybe use a 100g gas in 2 day trip but based on that experience need a 230g for longer than 2 days, 230+100 for longer than 4 days and 230+230 for a week's trip.

.......... while Jetboil needs only 100g for 3 days and 230g for up to a week. So the weight saved is nearly instantly offset by the weight of gas and gas canisters.

Also the Soto+Toaks was super loving slow at boiling anything. What it could do was heat the air around the pot and burn the silicone off the handles if I tried to increase the output and try to boil the water faster.

So. Unless I figure out what I did wrong there's no more Toaks for me.. Soto maybe still good based on that it seems to work OK with my Jetboil cup. But the Jetboil has proprietary burner mount design so I'd like to try a generic aluminium cup with the Soto instead of Titanium.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32526378935.html

Firemaple FMC XK6 is advertised to weigh 190g apparently without a lid, so 220g with lid. Which is 100g more than a Toaks cup. But if it saves gas and allows me to go to a trip with less gas, and boils faster than Toaks, it is definitely worth it.

Any ideas why the Soto+titanium cup boil times and gas usage are complete garbage?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Because Titanium is a crap conductor of heat?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Question #2 any pro tips for waterproof shoulder strap phone pouch? Gossamer gear makes some but they are super heavy for some reason: https://www.gossamergear.com/collections/accessories/products/shoulder-strap-pockets

40-50grams with all kinds of extra features. My backpack side pouches are 65 grams each with zipper & mounting accessories and they can take two regular 12oz/0,33L beer cans instead of a phone...

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Because Titanium is a crap conductor of heat?

I didn't think it would be that bad when everyone seems to be using one! Well back to aluminium for me, if the Aliexpress special is good enough. Or alternatively back to Jetboil if I can't find a cup which works well enough with Soto Windmaster.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

It sounds like your stove is broken.

i have a soto amicus and it works fine. here's a guy using the windmaster on youtube are you getting similar results for your one?

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 6, 2020

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I did a 100% power burnout with Soto Windmaster on my balcony.. Jetboil Minimo cup vs Toaks D115 9dl cup. I did everything as usual:

800ml water, rolling boil Soto with jetboil cup 313g -304g = 9g gas, 2:25mins

800ml water, rolling boil Soto with toaks cup 304g-291g = 13g gas, 3:10mins

So Toaks cup used 44% more gas and took 190 secs vs 145secs, 31% more time.

Of course the gas used is probably measured not accurately enough so I should do at least 10 test runs each to get an avg... but it gives the rough picture that titanium cups are significantly worse for my use than aluminium cups.

The china special Firemaple aluminium cup could be even better with the soto because the fins & pot bottom are closer to the burner than with Minimo cup.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Ihmemies posted:

Also sleeping bags are a lot better suited for sleeping in a tent than quilts.. at least in Finland. I've never been cold in a sleeping bag but numerous times in a quilt. Just a personal preference of course.

That "UL" cook kit uses like 50-100% more gas! I can maaaybe use a 100g gas in 2 day trip but based on that experience need a 230g for longer than 2 days, 230+100 for longer than 4 days and 230+230 for a week's trip.

.......... while Jetboil needs only 100g for 3 days and 230g for up to a week. So the weight saved is nearly instantly offset by the weight of gas and gas canisters.

Any ideas why the Soto+titanium cup boil times and gas usage are complete garbage?

That’s the thing, everyone has different comfort levels. I’ve cowboy camped down to freezing with a 20 degree quilt and pad, but I also had a toboggan and hood, and my quilt is more like a 3/4 sleeping bag, I definitely agree that mummy bags are warmer overall though :)

I think that heat exchanger in the jetboil makes all the difference, not to mention titanium isn’t a great heat conductor like aluminum.

My compromise pot is the Olicamp XTS, which is basically like a jetboil lite. It has the heat exchanger, snap out silicone coated handle, and a snap on silicone lid which just make this thing boil in no time flat.

I’ve got toaks titanium pots, snowpeak titanium pots, gsi aluminum pots and this is by far and away the best piece of cook kit I own. Definitely worth a few extra grams to save time, fuel, and convenience

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The Olicamp XTS looks to be exactly the same cup as the Firemaple FMC-XK6, just with oz markings instead of liters. So I ordered the Firemaple. It should then be good enough and well worth the weight.

In my youth I used a trangia alcohol stove, but it was too drat heavy at 1,2kg's, so I bought the Jetboil set which is around 400g. Seems heat exchangers are "mandatory" for speed & efficiency when you boil relatively large amounts of water multiple times a day during a trip. Flat bottomed cups or cups made from poorly conduting titanium seem to be designed for infrequent "bare minimum" boiling only.

Windmaster with pouch & 3flex is 80grams and that Olicamp/Firemaple pot 220g, so total 300 grams.. a little weight saved compared to Jetboil set which is 365g without cozy, tripod and plastic cup, and the burner pouch replaced with lighter weight version.

Seems there was not much point in this venture away from Jetboil except to waste some money and time for neligible weight gains, but at least I learned something from my mistakes :eng101:

Edit: actually I have made the mistake of going "too light" several times, noticing afterwards that this is not good enough and I'd rather carry the heavier weight version.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 6, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ihmemies posted:

Question #2 any pro tips for waterproof shoulder strap phone pouch? Gossamer gear makes some but they are super heavy for some reason: https://www.gossamergear.com/collections/accessories/products/shoulder-strap-pockets

40-50grams with all kinds of extra features. My backpack side pouches are 65 grams each with zipper & mounting accessories and they can take two regular 12oz/0,33L beer cans instead of a phone...

I didn't think it would be that bad when everyone seems to be using one! Well back to aluminium for me, if the Aliexpress special is good enough. Or alternatively back to Jetboil if I can't find a cup which works well enough with Soto Windmaster.

Per wikipedia:

Al Thermal conductivity 237 W/(m·K)
Ti Thermal conductivity 21.9 W/(m·K)

Granted, the difference between the two is greatly diminished by the fact that very thin sheets of metal are involved here, but I neglected to notice that your old pot was a Jetboil, and those have heat exchanger fins on the bottom, don't they? Of course that was always going to kick the titanium pot's rear end.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Yes, jetboil minimo is made from aluminum and has heat exchanger fins and proprietary bayonet for jetboil burner. It uses 10g of gas per liter so it boils 10-23L of water per 100-230g gas can.

I did not realize the difference would be so big, since ti pots are very popular. What is the use case for large titanium pots?

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
I’ve got one of newer, smaller 27-3 trangias. 725g plus fuel with two pots and a fryingpan.

Part of the appeal is that in really bad weather I’d be fine running it in the entryway to my tent but wouldn’t be comfortable doing that with gas.

Not competitive with a 400g set for ultra-lighting but they do have their niche.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Out of curiousity I measured boil times with Soto Windmaster and Trangia. My Trangia does not specify the model, but it is heavy, so perhaps it was the only model produced back in the day?

The trangia coffee pot with 15cm diameter boiled 800ml in 2min30s. So apparently heat exchanger fins are not necessary if the pot is made from conducting material and/or the pot base is wide enough. It would be interesting to try out a wider titanium pot.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Have you tried the burner with a windscreen? That should help some even when it’s not windy by keeping the heat more concentrated. Don’t put it on too tight though since you don’t want the burner or canister get too hot.

As for the phone pouch I’d just put the phone in a minigrip or a waterproof case instead of trying to find a waterproof pouch.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I haven't tried a windscreen. Jetboil seemed to work well enough with some rocks, tree or my backpack as windshield.

I have always carried my phone in my cargo pocket. Sometimes I think it could be nicer to have it on my backpack, and currently the shoulder strap is the only place to put it. I don't need the extra features in Gossamer gear's pouch.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Ah yeah what I meant to say was that just get a shoulder pouch that has the features you need and then waterproof the phone in another way. When I have my smaller camera with me I keep it in a shoulder pouch and when it starts raining I slip it in a plastic freezer bag.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'd think waterproof pouches would be the norm. At least my backpack and the side pouches are waterproof enough, they are made from xpac sail cloth and items inside seem to stay dry. I guess I'll just buy the cheapest pouch I can find and use ziploc bags then :v:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I got the Olicamp XTS/Firemaple FMC-XK6.

Lid: 35g
Pouch: 14g
Handles: 28g
Pot with handles: 169g.
Without: 141g

Pot with handles, soto Windmaster 3flex, ti lid: 262g.

My jetboil measures 361g. So the roughly as good setup is 100g lighter than Jetboil.

Boil times with soto windmaster & olicamp xts are the same as with windmaster and Jetboil Minimo cup. The cup's surroundings don't get noticeably hot and handles don't melt. I get equal boil times as with Jetboil Minimo set when I dial Soto's power down by 90 degrees from maximum.

It feels like the gas usage is still higher than with minimo. I have to field test this and see the actual results. If I can get 3 days worth of meals with a 100g gas then the lighter set is good. If not, well :smith:

The toaks D115 lid does not fit perfectly, it is 2,5mm too large at 117mm. A 114mm lid would be good. And titanium handles... Hmm.

Edit: 3mm titanium is 32g/m. Handles would need around 25cm each so 16g titanium for 2 handles...

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 8, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I suppose this question is antithetical to the thread, but I'm not sure where else more appropriate :v:

Any Adirondacks experts here? Looking for recommendations for a mountain that can be done in a day with dogs. Seems like most of the High Peaks suggest making a 2-day trip, based on reviews on AllTrails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I'm interested in a GPS like the bushnell backtrack where you simply put in a homepoint and then it just gives you a heading and distance, is there any other GPS that does this?