Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

charliebravo77 posted:

Yeah as discussed in prior posts there are a number of reasons you may need to call for "help" in the backcountry that don't necessarily involve spinning up a SAR helo, which is what's likely going to happen if you activate a PLB.

On the registration page for my PLB I would always update the blurb with who I was with and what our climbing objective was. Also what brand of radios I had, and what channel presets. The idea being that they might be able to reach me of my partner via radio because we'd likely have significant elevation on them.

Something like an inReach is way more flexible of an option, but if you really intend to be self sufficient unless you need to call in the cavalry, a PLB is the cheaper option that still gives you that ability. I always thought of it as a kind of super "Oh poo poo" button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

sb hermit posted:

I agree, and it's also very useful to just provide peace of mind to anyone worried about you because you can send simple messages and location data for free. And I think you can also send and receive a couple non-complex messages for free per month as part of your subscription.

EDIT: with simple PLBs, you just have the panic button and nothing else.

A good way to do this is to keep the Safety plan for normal use, or even suspend service for any months you know you’re not going to be out, then, if you’re going to go on a longer trip, trade up to the Recreation plan for the month. When I go backpacking, the Rec plan will upload my tracks data so my wife can check in on where I am close to real time. I also send “starting here”, “stopping here”, and “checking in, everything is okay” messages that I have pre-set.

The only thing I don’t love is that incoming text messages count against your cap, so be judicious with whom you share your inReach SMS address.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

I don't remember the exact numbers but someone did the math and you had to go way over the message limit for the safety tier for it to be worth upgrading.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

waffle enthusiast posted:

A good way to do this is to keep the Safety plan for normal use, or even suspend service for any months you know you’re not going to be out, then, if you’re going to go on a longer trip, trade up to the Recreation plan for the month. When I go backpacking, the Rec plan will upload my tracks data so my wife can check in on where I am close to real time. I also send “starting here”, “stopping here”, and “checking in, everything is okay” messages that I have pre-set.

The only thing I don’t love is that incoming text messages count against your cap, so be judicious with whom you share your inReach SMS address.

On the spot you have to whitelist phone numbers that can text your device. If you haven't added a number to your profile it won't get sent up to the satellite network.
I'm surprised Garmin wouldn't have something similar. I'd be pretty pissed to get spam texts or something

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Math You posted:

On the spot you have to whitelist phone numbers that can text your device. If you haven't added a number to your profile it won't get sent up to the satellite network.
I'm surprised Garmin wouldn't have something similar. I'd be pretty pissed to get spam texts or something

LOL imagine harvesting the obscure inreach text addresses and marketing to companies as “now you can reach your audience no matter where they are.”

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Business of Ferrets posted:

LOL imagine harvesting the obscure inreach text addresses and marketing to companies as “now you can reach your audience no matter where they are.”

don't put this evil into the world, man

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Chard posted:

don't put this evil into the world, man

The tweedle-deet of a new message coming through on your InReach shatters the still of an early spring morning in Zion. You fish the device out of your hip belt and see

“we’ve been trying to reach you about your vehicle’s extended warranty”

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

I'd been trying think up fresh hells, and there it is.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SHUT
THE
FUCK
UP!
BIIITCH!

Business of Ferrets posted:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Watch this 30 second ad before requesting medivac for compound fracture

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Watch this 30 second ad before requesting medivac for compound fracture

we noticed you're using an adblocker

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Stand up and yell "McDonald's!" For rescue service.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco has the Merrill Moab Vent 2 hiking shoes on sale for $65
https://www.costco.com/merrell-men%E2%80%99s-moab-2-ventilator-hiking-shoe.product.100712046.html

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Of course costco has the shoe version and not the boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

So I'm getting back into backpacking again, but unfortunately I am an old man now and my body relishes in reminding me after every outing.

Does anyone have any specific model recommendations for a soft knee brace that works particularly well for backpacking and hiking that involves lots of elevation change?