Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

charliebravo77 posted:

Yeah as discussed in prior posts there are a number of reasons you may need to call for "help" in the backcountry that don't necessarily involve spinning up a SAR helo, which is what's likely going to happen if you activate a PLB.

On the registration page for my PLB I would always update the blurb with who I was with and what our climbing objective was. Also what brand of radios I had, and what channel presets. The idea being that they might be able to reach me of my partner via radio because we'd likely have significant elevation on them.

Something like an inReach is way more flexible of an option, but if you really intend to be self sufficient unless you need to call in the cavalry, a PLB is the cheaper option that still gives you that ability. I always thought of it as a kind of super "Oh poo poo" button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

sb hermit posted:

I agree, and it's also very useful to just provide peace of mind to anyone worried about you because you can send simple messages and location data for free. And I think you can also send and receive a couple non-complex messages for free per month as part of your subscription.

EDIT: with simple PLBs, you just have the panic button and nothing else.

A good way to do this is to keep the Safety plan for normal use, or even suspend service for any months you know you’re not going to be out, then, if you’re going to go on a longer trip, trade up to the Recreation plan for the month. When I go backpacking, the Rec plan will upload my tracks data so my wife can check in on where I am close to real time. I also send “starting here”, “stopping here”, and “checking in, everything is okay” messages that I have pre-set.

The only thing I don’t love is that incoming text messages count against your cap, so be judicious with whom you share your inReach SMS address.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I don't remember the exact numbers but someone did the math and you had to go way over the message limit for the safety tier for it to be worth upgrading.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

waffle enthusiast posted:

A good way to do this is to keep the Safety plan for normal use, or even suspend service for any months you know you’re not going to be out, then, if you’re going to go on a longer trip, trade up to the Recreation plan for the month. When I go backpacking, the Rec plan will upload my tracks data so my wife can check in on where I am close to real time. I also send “starting here”, “stopping here”, and “checking in, everything is okay” messages that I have pre-set.

The only thing I don’t love is that incoming text messages count against your cap, so be judicious with whom you share your inReach SMS address.

On the spot you have to whitelist phone numbers that can text your device. If you haven't added a number to your profile it won't get sent up to the satellite network.
I'm surprised Garmin wouldn't have something similar. I'd be pretty pissed to get spam texts or something

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Math You posted:

On the spot you have to whitelist phone numbers that can text your device. If you haven't added a number to your profile it won't get sent up to the satellite network.
I'm surprised Garmin wouldn't have something similar. I'd be pretty pissed to get spam texts or something

LOL imagine harvesting the obscure inreach text addresses and marketing to companies as “now you can reach your audience no matter where they are.”

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Business of Ferrets posted:

LOL imagine harvesting the obscure inreach text addresses and marketing to companies as “now you can reach your audience no matter where they are.”

don't put this evil into the world, man

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Chard posted:

don't put this evil into the world, man

The tweedle-deet of a new message coming through on your InReach shatters the still of an early spring morning in Zion. You fish the device out of your hip belt and see

“we’ve been trying to reach you about your vehicle’s extended warranty”

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I'd been trying think up fresh hells, and there it is.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Business of Ferrets posted:

:cursed:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Watch this 30 second ad before requesting medivac for compound fracture

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Watch this 30 second ad before requesting medivac for compound fracture

we noticed you're using an adblocker

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Stand up and yell "McDonald's!" For rescue service.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco has the Merrill Moab Vent 2 hiking shoes on sale for $65
https://www.costco.com/merrell-men%E2%80%99s-moab-2-ventilator-hiking-shoe.product.100712046.html

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Of course costco has the shoe version and not the boot.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
So I'm getting back into backpacking again, but unfortunately I am an old man now and my body relishes in reminding me after every outing.

Does anyone have any specific model recommendations for a soft knee brace that works particularly well for backpacking and hiking that involves lots of elevation change?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Yes, trekking poles.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I want to try some poles, but I almost always have my 2 dogs with me (leashed) and it just seems like too much of a pain to manage poles and leashes when we encounter other dogs or just other people on narrow sections of the trails. They're friendly, but they like to jump on people which I don't like.

Any of you guys try out the poles and pooches mix? How's it work?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hands-free dog leash?

https://spots.com/reviews/best-dog-running-leash/

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I have something like that. It's not an actual product, I just wrap a leash through my belt loops, then hook their leashes to that and they pull me by the waist.

It leaves my hands free, mostly, but I still need to grab the leashes and reel them in when there are other dogs / people.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Sab669 posted:

I have something like that. It's not an actual product, I just wrap a leash through my belt loops, then hook their leashes to that and they pull me by the waist.

It leaves my hands free, mostly, but I still need to grab the leashes and reel them in when there are other dogs / people.

The trekking poles I got, at least, have loop straps to put your hands through when using them, so you can let go of them without them falling to the ground.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XM0YGW8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So if you need to control the dog, just let go of the pole.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah, that might make a lot more sense :v:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Leki poles have a good quick-release system for the hand straps which is useful if you need to do something like that with your hands. They're a bit expensive compared to cheapo poles though.

I have these for trail running
https://leki.mwrc.net/en/product.php?product_id=70737

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Went to my a REI store as a fresh new member and they had a garage sale Kingdom 8 tent I was tempted to buy for $289 due it having a hole in the rainfly. Do they let you inspect the issue before buying stuff like that? Even then I think that might be to big for a glamping tent for me but still...

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Not sure about garage sale stuff, but REI let's you set up pretty much anything you want to look at. It's hard to decides on a tent, cot, etc without seeing it set up.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I haven't completely set stuff up, but I've def unpacked and unrolled garage sale stuff just fine.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It's REI, you can probably get 2 employees to help you set it up.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

highme posted:

It's REI, you can probably get 2 employees to help you set it up.

They only show up when you don't need them.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

For what its worth I LOVE our Kingdom 4 tent. The 8 is so gigantic I'd worry about fitting it in some campsites, but they are great tents.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I feel like 298 is a fantastic price for that, and a hole in the rainfly of a car camping tent is no big deal, you can clean and patch that up pretty easy with adhesive repair patches, or silnylon is a little slick but easy enough to sew if you want something more structural.

That vs. the Coleman 6 person insta-cabin, looks like it’s three pounds lighter, but more critically it packs about half the length it looks like. Still a large volume, but not as bad as the Coleman and easier to accommodate in a full vehicle. The rainfly is also a lot better coverage, and you have to purchase the rainfly separately on the Coleman (though it’s performed alright in light rain without it). But if you’re in a monsoon the REI would almost certainly win out, hands down. I also like the REI tent’s dual doors, that’s a nice feature. Gives you more usable space for the same size, though I like the Coleman’s 4 sided window screens and vent up top—that’s nice to pop a battery powered fan in to circulate hot air out the top. Looks like they’re both 150 Denier fabric, though once a pole fails on the Coleman I doubt there’s any way to repair it vs being able to get a new pole or shock cord replacement on the REI Kingdome

I’ve been trying to mentally compare the two, but it occurs to me I’m not even picturing apples to apples... I’ve only got the four person instant cabin, not the six person. Holy cow 10x10 is a crazy amount of tent space, I thought the four person was utterly absurd. That kinda space you could bring some inflatable bean bags and play some board games if you’re stuck in the rain :eyepop:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I love my Kingdome 4 and would have a hard time walking away from a Kingdome 8 at that price with a hole in the fly.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

compulsively inventorying and repacking gear from stir-crazy

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tested out my REI bundle -

- Tent is fine
- Sleeping pad surprisingly good, did not feel like a swimming pool raft like I expected
- Sweated my balls off in the 30 degree rated sleeping bag in 50 degree weather.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Tomorrow is new hiking shoe day! My merell moabs have bit the dust and I’m fully vaccinated and let’s just loving go! Hell yeah, REI!

Are Moabs still kickass if I loved my 2017-ish pair?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They're the exact same shoe they've been for 10+ years so yeah, if you like your 2017 moabs you'll like the 2021 ones.

I'm thinking of trying the moab speed next time I'm buying though. I want that killer grip and comfort of the moab with something that dries a little faster.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ll try those too. I’m so stoked to be back in the hiking threads.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I tried lots of shoes on and ended up with a pair of Salomons. Anyone here hike with them?

They were super comfy and REI has their insane return policy so :shrug:

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Salomon makes good shoes. My wife wears them and likes them a lot.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I really like Salomons and think I'm going to transition over to them once my Moabs and running shoes wear out.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Salomons have been the best fit for my feet, and they've treated me well. I've used both gore tex mids for snowshoeing/snow hiking as well as lighter trail runners, and both have been great.

Actually that leads me to another question. Does anyone have a suggestion for a not-heavy waterproof boot for snowshoeing and slushy shoulder season hiking (eg top half of the hike is still in snow, but not always enough to justify snowshoes)? I'm tempted to get another pair of Salomons, maybe the newer X Ultra 4 GTX mid, but I'd be happy to hear other suggestions.

I stick with lighter trail runners most of the year, but snowshoeing or slushy hiking I like some waterproofing (plus gators).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I also have Salomon shoes and like them. The last pair I got has this totally bananas shoelace system where you just pull on some kind of zip-tie thing instead of tying a knot.