Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
When we had an old Ford Explorer, we just threw some foam pads in the back, with the seats flat, and slept on them. We put any gear that wouldn't fit in the front seats on the roof or hood and threw a tarp over it. Even worked with two small dogs with us.
The bug nets on windows or a vented sunroof is a great idea. Never thought of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
REI seems to be the only outdoor store with consistent stock on anything. The Bass Pro Shop is pretty threadbare, and you'd think the Sportsman's near me was going out of business.
Then again, 'rona and a lot more people doing outdoor things.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm in the market for a new backpacking/hiking pack and looking for some recommendations. I have a tendency to overpack, so I'd rather have a larger pack than smaller. We usually only go out for a couple of nights. The hikes are usually short & low difficulty. This lowers my concern of carrying too much weight.
It will be used from 1-4 times a year. Thinking somewhere in the ~$200 range.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You could starting by figuring out your ideal volume (probably 50-75 liters; it sounds like you'd want >60l) and decide whether you like the Osprey and REI pack at that size:

https://www.rei.com/c/backpacking-p...ender%3AMen%27s

There are a lot of other brands, but I feel like those have the widest appeal for people who aren't into the smaller details.

Thanks. Been eyeing the Ospreys. Any opinions on the Alps Mountaineering packs? I had a tent of theirs for years that held up really well.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Wow, okay. Sounds like a Osprey is the way to go!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I like bladders if I'm backpacking, but I still pack a bottle. I like the nalgene style with measurements. It makes cooking a little easier, and it's easier to clean if I'm doing something flavored (tea, hot cocoa, those little tablets that dissolve and have caffeine in them).
If it's cold, I also like to fill it with hot water and throw it in the bottom of my sleeping bag to warm up my feet. Also makes finding your water in the middle of the night easy!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Not sure about garage sale stuff, but REI let's you set up pretty much anything you want to look at. It's hard to decides on a tent, cot, etc without seeing it set up.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Going back to bug repellent: I've had decent success with the picardin, but a friend of mine swears by tea tree oil and lemon eucalyptus oil as a "natural" mosquito repellent. Anyone have experience with these, or is it it's just a bunch of stuff that'll make you smell nicer than deet?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Hah, thanks. Costs less to use picardin anyway!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Pondex posted:

Any of you ever tried that old advice of eating a few matchheads a day to keep biting critters away? Supposedly the sulphur doesn't agree with them.

Some quick searches lead me to message boards of Vietnam vets and/or fishermen saying they've done it for years and it works. Some even claiming a single match head lasts an entire month. What's to question?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Went on a trip with some friends this weekend, and was finally able to try out my Helinox Lite Cot. I put an ultralight backpacking pad on top of it. It's pricey, but was extremely light, comfortable, and worth it, IMO.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
A couple friends attempted the PCT a few years back. They actually found various companies to sponsor and provide them with (replacement) gear.
One thing that stood out to me was them saying that your feet eventually swell to the point where you'll need to get larger hiking boots.

If you haven't checked it out yet, the PCTA has links to various places to get information and chat with other PCT hikers: https://www.pcta.org/community/join-the-conversation/

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

PoorHobo posted:

I talked to REI, but I imagine everyone does. Any idea which companies sponsored them?

That resource is how I originally found the subreddit, but I’ve been wanting to hear goon reviews. For example, I hadn’t heard of the platypus filter until this thread.

They're pretty off the grid people, so I don't have a direct line to them. I'll see if one of our other friends remembers or can check. She's more in contact with them.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

PoorHobo posted:

I talked to REI, but I imagine everyone does. Any idea which companies sponsored them?

That resource is how I originally found the subreddit, but I’ve been wanting to hear goon reviews. For example, I hadn’t heard of the platypus filter until this thread.

I haven't been able to get a hold of them. I checked with another friend, and while she doesn't remember who sponsored them, it sounds like they sent out emails to and/or called many different gear companies. It helps to be willing to promote their product to online groups you're part of. Maybe look for smaller/more local companies trying to get bigger brand recognition.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm also looking for sleeping bag recommendations. I currently have a very basic Teton 20 sleeping bag, and it ain't great. Hell, it isn't even that good.
My main criteria are a bag in the 15-20 range that compacts to a good size for backpacking and is in the $250ish range. I'm open to backpacking quilt options if those are even available in the price range.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Any recommendations on a collapsible/small led lantern for backpacking that has a more soft/nautral light than standard, harsh LEDs for sitting around camp?
Friends and I love the light from the propane lantern, but it's a major PITA to pack in an out, even on a 3ish mile hike.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
That looks promising. I think something like that with a more diffused light will work just fine.
Really it's the harshness of a direct LED that bothers us more so than the color.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

incogneato posted:

I'm tempted to get a Rumpl nanoloft since they're on sale right now. Does anyone have experience with these types of blankets and their competitors?

Use case would be hiking and camping with a newborn/baby. We figure it'd be generally useful bundling up breastfeeding mom, a second ground layer over something thin, and even as a makeshift hammock underquilt (not for sleeping, just hanging out). Bonus points for synthetic fill to easily wash after frequent baby spillage.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if they're more hype than useful, but most reviews are pretty good. I'd spring for the Patagonia one, but it's significantly more expensive.

A friend of mine has one and he's a fan. I've no other camping blankets to compare it to, though. You can always buy it on sale from REI and see how you like it. They're pretty good on their 1 year return policy.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My MIL has been some yaktrax for use in icy conditions an seems to get around just fine. Then again, she's not going hiking due to only having a one leg.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
As someone who is prone to sleeping hot and sweating, a bag liner is very key. Totally agree there.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Not anymore than sleeping in a bag does IMO.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Mrs Rice has agreed to go hiking and canoe/kayak camping this year. We have $56 in REI rewards, and I'm trying to figure out what other gear she needs.
She has a pack, hiking boots, PFD, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, trekking poles, dinnerware & flatware, and a headlamp.
I'll be carrying the tent, water filtration, gas, and stove. She has no interest in anything that would require an knife.
Pretty sure she has a WP shell and appropriate hiking socks, but still need to double check.
Any thoughts?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

PokeJoe posted:

First aid kit?

That's a good idea. I have a multi-person one for my pack, but it doesn't hurt to carry another.

Can probably find something she wants/needs wandering the garage sale, too.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
A camp pillow made a world of difference for me.
I prefer the foam ones, but inflatable is still better than a stuff sack filled with clothes.
E: I've found only partially inflating a pillow is more comfortable than blowing it all the way up. But I'm also a stomach & side sleeper.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

guppy posted:

To be clear, I was specifically talking about in case of rain. And when I say "dining fly," I'm not talking about something screened in, just something to keep the rain off you.

RE: tables, we never had them growing up but I have been eyeing some of the Stoic ones that Backcountry makes. They're on sale if you're interested:
https://www.backcountry.com/stoic-dirtbag-square-table
https://www.backcountry.com/stoic-dirtbag-dining-table

Some of the reviews aren't impressed with the construction, some of them are. No idea myself. I'm sure other places sell something similar. They have a few other models as well.

If you're looking for Something to keep rain off when car camping, just get a pop up canopy. Our family has one we bring that fits over a picnic table just fine. You can also find weights for the feet to keep it stable in windy conditions.
Something like this:
https://www.costco.com/eurmax-standard-10x10-easy-pop-up-canopy-tent-white-with-4-pack-sand-weight-bags.product.100811920.html
Cooking under them with a propane or isobutane stove is fine.

You should be able to find something like that at most all-in-one stores like Fred Meyer or a cheaper sporting goods store like Big 5 if you're not looking to break the bank.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Most tents I've seen that are tall enough to stand are, minimum, four person. Maybe you could look at a camp shower? They're small enough for one person and tall enough to stand in.
Then again, taking up that much real estate with two structures is probably the same footprint as a four person tent.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

sb hermit posted:

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I guess my best solution is to try out more mats and find one that I love. I have an existing air mat that I've had for almost a decade but I keep falling off of it. I think REI is coming out with new mats so I'll pick up something this year.

The Helinox lite cot might be an option.
I used it for a bit in a two person tent, and I'm pretty sure I'd fit just fine in a one person.
Packs down small and is very light, too.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Can you get extra batteries for the camera? I have two spares I carry with me. I have a Fujifilm X-T2. The stock battery definitely lasts longer than the third party brand ones I have, but I only needed to recharge the main battery once on a 10 day vacation. OFC, I don't know how many photos you take in comparison.
Are the kindles standard tablets, or the ones with e-ink you're just using for reading?
AFAIK, you need direct sunlight and the right angle to get an optimal charge rate with solar. That's definitely a good amount of stuff to charge, but you could probably get away with just buying more battery banks and being intentional with your electronics usage.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Verman posted:

Just as a heads up, Costco has their roto coolers for sale now. Also a new brand, no idea if they're any good but I don't see why not.

I have a blue cooler, and it works quite well. It's heavy, and the exterior makes you think it'll hold more than it does, but that's the nature of rotomolded coolers.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

RodShaft posted:

Somebody was asking about cots for car camping earlier. Amazon has Twin size Coleman Camping Cot, Air Mattress, and Pump Combo | Folding Camp Cot and Air Bed with Side Tables and Battery Operated Pump for $102 The queen size is slightly more.

I know nothing about these other than they seem like an all right deal to try it out.

We have this cot in queen size. It's comfy, but the mattress that comes with it is loud AF. Every move you make results in loud squeaks.
We ended up getting a different mattress that fit inside the cot cover.
It's nice and convenient, though.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Verman posted:

Also I have to say, I went to Costa Rica a few weeks ago and the patagonia capilene shirts I picked up were super comfy in warm weather. Same with the Vuori Strato Tech tee shirts. They fit well, dont have any logos or branding, and they also did really well in warm weather, and were able to be worn several days in a row without any odor or wrinkles, I bought another when I got home.

Hah, we're going to Costa Rica in December and was looking for another long sleeve for warm weather. I'll be sure to check out the Patagonia.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've not, but there are lots of valve replacement guides out there. I'm not finding any rei specific parts, but you might be able to use a different brand if the diameter is the same.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I suppose it would be a PITA. It's unfortunate that REI told them to get lost.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

guppy posted:

I have unfortunately learned my lesson and will no longer buy REI-branded stuff for anything significant. An REI brand fork? Sure. Tent, sleeping pad, anything like that? Absolutely not.

Although I did buy the Kindercone sleeping bag for my kid. She hasn't used it yet, hopefully that'll be good.

I've been moving away from their brand for clothing, myself. I have a pair of hiking pants that are super light weight and comfortable, but some of the stitching is coming apart and the zipper won't stay up. The stitching has been coming apart on my long sleeved sun shirt, too.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

liz posted:

Few questions here…

What’s the best way to clean my Osprey daypack? I have a Sirrus 24 and the top front section is pretty dingy and dirty.

I’m camping in Mt Rainier mid September, what kind of layers would work for sleeping? My bag is rated 15 but I’m just not sure what to wear for sleeping? Sadly, I haven’t been camping in awhile.

And finally, I’ve heard the mosquitoes are pretty bad there, can anyone attest to this and would it be a worthwhile investment to pick up a bug net for my head?

Thanks!

What part of Rainier? What's your altitude? I've camped near Rainier at ~5,200' in late September. A 15 bag worked just fine, and I sleep in my underwear with wool socks while camping. I also have an insulated sleeping pad. An insulated pad is something people can easily forget, but it adds a lot to your comfort and warmth. Mine isn't even very high. Something like r-3.5/4.
The bugs have been very bad this year. They should be as bad in the mid to late September as they are now, but I would definitely treat your gear with permethrin and bring bug spray/cream. A bug net for your head is also a good idea. Even If you don't use it, they pack small and are light anyway.

E: a sponge and soft bristle brush with mild, soapy water should be enough to clean your bag.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 12, 2022

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Kelty, Alps Mountaineering, and REI are entry to mid level brands. REI sells a set that comes with a bag, sleeping bag, and tent: https://www.rei.com/product/168432/rei-co-op-backpacking-bundle. The tent is a two person, however. The Kelty Cosmic sleeping bag is a great choice for starting out.
If you're going to cook with just freeze dried meals and just need to heat water, Jet Boil and similar systems work fine.
REI has a page for backpackin essentials and backpacking for beginners.
Backcountry.com has "expert help" where you can "chat with a gear head" and get advice on what gear is right for you. I've never used it, so have no feedback on how good their advice may be.
I like to use https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/ for narrowing down what gear might work best for me.
I have a tendency to overpack, and like to take a small pad and pencil to take note of what I did(n't) need during my trip. Might be a good idea for your first few trips to home in what is missing from your kit or isn't quite right with your setup.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 20, 2022

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Yeah I've never had any gear just fall apart on me, and I treat my stuff like crap.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Backcountry.com has a bunch of stuff on sale right now. They're advertising "up to" 60% off multiple brands.
They were also running a deal of 20% a full priced item if you sign up for their mailing list. Should still be going.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I wear boxer briefs. I currently have a few pairs of Saxx. They were comfortable at first, but after a while started to run up my leg and become annoying/uncomfortable. Definitely looking at some of the brands mentioned above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
A lil hammock for the fellas.