Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

What's the best way to buy new boots right now? Should I order a couple pairs online and hope one fits? or go to a store and hope they let me try stuff on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Anyone who's made their own footprints care to weigh in on polycro vs tyvek? Main purpose is to prevent wear on the tent. I'd prefer a solution that leads to less waste over it's lifespan so I'm leaning toward the more durable tyvek solution. I also don't want to buy a big roll of something that I'm never going to use but it's got to be 90 x 70/62 inch.

Is adding grommets worthwhile if I don't plan on setting up fast fly?

I too am very interested in this as I'm currently using a bulky blue tarp and would like something smaller.

Two questions to add-on:
1) How durable is polycro on rocks?
2) If I go the Tyvek route, where do I get a small piece without having to buy a whole roll?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I just bought some marino wool socks and I am never going back to hiking in cotton. They're amazing.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I hate buying shoes without trying them on.

I ended up using Amazon's prime wardrobe to order a bunch of hiking boots and try them on before buying, worked pretty well for me.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I picked up two 100g containers from REI on a whim a couple weeks ago. Sounds like that was a good idea.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

poeticoddity posted:

and can come with hefty fines imposed by the DOT if you're caught transporting them on public roads after they've been refilled.

From what I've read this only applies to commercial transportation

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

I wanna hear more about your morning hikes... I need a pre-work routine now that I don’t have to commute. Do you just do a nearby metro park or something?

I was doing this 1x/wk but then got lazy. I have the benefit of living in Denver and having a super flexible schedule so I was driving ~1 hour into the mountains and doing a quick 1-2 hour hike before coming home. It was usually trail I was familiar with so I could pick up the pace if I knew I was taking too long.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I put off buying one and now it they're always out of stock when I look.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I accidentally threw away one of my waterproof gloves when taking the trash out the other day. Does anyone have a recommendation for something that's warm + waterproof? Ideally I'd like to use them when playing in the snow with my son + when snowshoeing/hiking in the snow.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Chard posted:

if you're going to get a bladder anyway i strongly recommend the CNOC bladders. super easy to fill, very tough material, and built-in interface with sawyer squeeze filters so on longer trips you can get clean water as you go

Oh nice, they're back in stock, thanks for the link!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Anyone have any essentials they take on a day hike? I understand like..... shoes and a phone is all you really need. But I like having stuff. I even bring a GPS so I can "ugh" about how much more trail I have left until I finish.

I try to take the 10 essentials just-in-case, but your phone is good enough to cover a bunch of them.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Woot has the Marmot PreCip rain jacket on sale for $36
https://sport.woot.com/offers/marmot-mens-precip-waterprf-rain-jacket

Oh sweet thanks! I was just thinking about getting a precip full price last week.

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 28, 2021

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Thanks for the PLB reminder: I was thinking about getting one with my Biden Bux

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

xzzy posted:

Reviews for bags say they tend to be pretty bad at actually stopping bears, but they are a lot easier to pack.

I see this a lot when people talk about bags and I think it's really silly. If "they tend to be pretty bad at actually stopping bears", then they straight-up don't work and being easier to pack doesn't mean anything if the bear is more acclimated to human food and you have no food to eat

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Buy a bear box plus a bunch of other backpacking equipment and then never go backpacking as much as you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Wouldn't the bugs need to bite you in order to taste whatever sulphur you consumed?