Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Any goons rolling with that $16 pocket rocket knockoff from Amazon? My old stove is super corroded after 10+ years in storage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Same, I'm really digging this stove.

Campsaver has them for ~$35 w/ no tax. REI has a bundle with the stove and a small and large pot for $50 too.

Thanks!! Campsaver had an additional coupon for 20% off stoves

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I’m not an ultralight backpacker by any means but the saw would be first to go even before the slingshot. Bust up fuel wood against rocks or trees like a true caveman or just walk the extra 50 feet to find something more suitable.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I have Nikon Monarch 5 10x42 for bird/critter watching. They are hefty but very good quality and run around $250. Definitely not worth the weight for backpacking but I will take them on day hikes

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I use a Ti pot just because I read some hippie bullshit about aluminum consumption. Someone please validate my purchase

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I have a Sawyer as well and it's good for the reasons mentioned. I've never had problems with squeezing gently by rolling it up like a toothpaste tube.

It can be tricky filling up the bladder in slow moving water, cattle troughs, ponds etc. Ideally you could use a cup or something to scoop water up and pour but then you're contaminating your cup with giardia.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I wonder if you could find something with higher cal/gram, possibly even dehydrated at a fancy dog food store. You’d want to make sure their tummy can handle it first of course.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

Looking to up my car camping game... what’re your guys’ favorite thing(s) that you’ve bought for enjoying spending time outdoors?

Bust out the heavier cooking gear and eat like kings

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

You should consider Tasty Bites or similar if you like pooping and want something simple and nutritious to prepare. They are somewhat heavy but pack flat so they might be good for your situation. Serve with rice or potatoes, maybe some starkist chicken breast if you must eat meat

So to clarify the enemy might come into your camp? Can you leave your tent and sleeping bag up or will it get shot up and ransacked?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The more I think about this the more I feel the need to ask why do you insist on 2-3 hot meals a day? The average weather in April is high of 72 low of 50, you'll be eating lunch in the field presumably. You should have a peanut butter and honey sandwich so you don't have to worry about fiddling with pots and pans and stoves as you get gassed and shot at.

Overnight oats are the best breakfast because you can make infinite variations and it takes 10 seconds of prep the night before
https://www.msrgear.com/blog/backcountry-breakfastsovernight-oats/

If you must have something hot make a cup of tea or coffee

Dinner of course go hog wild since you'll have a few hours. That beans and rice recipe looks like fantastic. I've also done the mac and cheese where it's just pasta and the sauce packet.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I’m the person hiking with a Coleman cooler and a box on top of it at 4:25

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

How would a wool blanket suffice? Humidity seems to average 46-77% for April. The temperature seems to fluctuate a lot in Wyandotte.

It might be ok (wool is good in general but we can’t know how thick your particular blanket is) but your best bet is to test out your gear before. IIRC you’re in the Midwest so turn your thermostat to a low-end temp for April and sleep on the floor w/ your setup. Maybe do an overnighter a few weeks before the event

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I did my first backyard camping in 18 years to start prepping for April and I had a major problem with the hard ground on my hips and back. I'm a side sleeper so I need a lot of padding to avoid pain in the bony parts of my hips when sleeping on the ground, and preferably evenness between my torso and head (rather than my head angling downward toward the pillow). What would you recommend for that?

Picking your site is as important as your padding system. Sand, turf, or pine needles beat out outcropping rock and tent platforms.

CancerStick posted:

My girlfriend uses a Soto Amicus with a 700ml pot from Snow Peak.

I have the same stove and I forget what brand of Ti pot but possibly the same. Works just fine in windy conditions but couldn't say for freezing temps.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The superlight version is 3 more dollars and weighs 13 oz less

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/148917/big-agnes-superlight-q-core-classic-sleeping-pad

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Anyone got a pick for a nice pillow? I've used my dry bag with a sweater on the outside for the last couple trips but it's too crinkly and the shape is bad. I don't usually have enough clothing for good loft.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I'd love to make a hammock work but only 2/7 of the campsites I've had in the last year could accommodate a hammock. One of those two it was so stormy we were hearing the violent cracking of thick tree limbs all night, so setting up under a tree would have been foolish.

In other news I've only camped 7 nights in the last year :(

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

We lucked out and got excellent weather last week at Pt. Reyes. 4 days, 3 nights, about 32 miles.

The Andrew Shurka recipes were a hit (mashed potatoes, rice and beans). I lugged an avocado around for 3 days and forgot to use it on the last night.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

My wife and I were on this exact trail Feb14th, and we saw a pair of backpackers. I wonder if it was you? I think I said something idiotic like "oh are you camping?" to people with full backpacking packs or something like that. We were just daytripping. The weather has been super nice, and it's not very crowded since it's still supposedly the offseason.

We just started exploring Pt. Reyes a little last year and it didn't occur to me that it was a place to go backpacking (as opposed to just maybe car camping) since it's not that large of an area and there's roads. Do you just hike to car-accessible camps?

That wouldn't have been us but I'm glad you got to enjoy the nice weather. Here's what I based our route on:

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/california/point-reyes-grand-tour?ref=sidebar-view-full-map

All of the camps are at least a few miles hiking from the trailheads. Day hiking is great but staying overnight provides some really great opportunities for seeing and hearing wildlife. At Wildcat and Sky camps you can fall asleep to the waves crashing (and no road noise!). Yes the park is smallish, and especially seems that way in map view because it's kind of long and skinny. But the interior valleys vs the coastal trails provides so much contrast it never feels like doubling back when you make that tight hourglass route.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

If you care about animal welfare, specifically hellworld practices like live plucking and force feeding, consider buying sleeping bags from one of these companies.

https://responsibledown.org/find-responsible-down-standard/

Kelty and Sierra Designs are notable absent from the list.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Verman posted:

I believe Marmot was bought by a larger corporation and their quality went downhill since. It's all still okay but not spectacular.

They tend to have sales around now at their website or REI outlet for 50% off or more which is still a good value IMO. Just avoid paying MSRP. I got a down vest and sleeping bag last year both for less than half price which have been great.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

My Sierra Designs 4 season tent is 20 years old and survived boy scouts, some wild storms, 6 years of university geology trips to the Mojave. In the end no amount of seam sealer or nikwax could make it waterproof again. Probably going to donate it once I figure out where and how.

I finally picked up a new 3 person tent with my REI dividend and coupon. mtnGLO seems gimmicky but could be nice for playing MTG or something on shoulder season trips. Anyone else get something cool with their dividend?

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/173301/big-agnes-manzanares-hv-sl3-mtnglo-tent

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Rolo posted:

They go on sale pretty often. I’m a fan of their Brion pant because it doesn’t have any zippers or extra pockets. Only problem is the colors are never what they look like online. I have a pair that are mustard yellow. Makes sense that they were on clearance.

I'm pretty sure I have these exact same pants. They are indeed good for hiking but I find the fabric oddly thin

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Trail Glove 4s you could definitely feel the ground but the latest model (5) added a rock plate which is universally hated. You might try the Vapor Glove or some version of the fivefingers

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

My prana shorts came. The rumors were true, they are comfy as hell

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I got brions cause I don't need a ton of pockets. Zions are the same fabric with more doo dads

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Ah dog you forgot to get an ENO SleepSnorkel during the sale didn't you?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

I picked up a bag of "AlpineAire" at Cabela's last weekend, to try a new brand. It was relatively cheap at $7 vs. $10 for House.

A friend of mine recently picked up a reusable stuff-sack full of freeze dried meals at Costco. I'll have to check with him on the brand name, but it was a lot of food for a pretty good price, and the stuff-sack was nice enough that we hung it as a bear sack that night.

Edit: He said it was this https://readywise.com/collections/outdoor-food/products/readywise-2-day-adventure-bag which is 4 entrees, 2 breakfasts, and 2 snacks plus a 5L stuff sack. The site shows it for $50 but it was about $35 at Costco.

Packing granola in vacuum packs is such a crazy grift. This is not a specific knock on readywise - all brands seem to do it.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

thatguy posted:

Even in heat, 1 pound tubes of ground burger will keep for up to 4 days.

Aside from being incredible unappetizing and goony, this seems unnecessarily risky for causing stomach problems, it's messy, and it's non-nutrient dense. And I'm getting ill thinking about eating more than a TBSP of Sklup™ in one sitting

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

FCKGW posted:

but are you eating raw beef from the tube

I don't think he ever implied that.

thatguy I understand you're an experienced backpacker and we could probably all learn a thing or two from you. However you are always super cranky and offer some wild advice that I don't think you understand is way different for someone taking their week off to go to Yosemite vs 6 months of trail maintenance.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Rotten Cookies posted:

Are Coleman propane stoves the standard, or are there other better options (within the same price range) I should consider? I've no experience using portable propane stoves like this, but it's one step closer to getting Ms Cookies to go into The Great Outdoors with me, I'll do it.

They are the standard stoves of the boy scouts and university geology department field trips in the US. I've definitely used Colemans as old as my dad. As mentioned they don't work super great in the wind but you get some decent stability and temperature control. I still break out the Coleman lantern for car camping.

Yooper posted:

I've got a two burner Coleman propane stove without an ignitor and it works great. Strictly used for car camping. It doesn't have the greatest build quality, it feels cheap, but functionally it works great. Can do a bare simmer all the way to a rolling boil. The wind shields are kind of meh.

I wonder if the new ones are less robust than the old ones? Looks like they are still made in the USA I dunno.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Does anyone have any tips for summer camping? We had a pretty cold Spring this year and for some other reasons I wasn't able to go camping at all. Now it's summer and hot as poo poo. I'm in Wisconsin so the humidity is around 60-80% which really blows. I really want to get out and do something though. I usually feel decent enough, with my broke brain, during the summer months to actually do stuff but it's always the worst part of the year. I don't want to die out in the woods atm.

Last time I went camping was 2 years ago and I got zero sleep the first night, the heat was part of it, and ended sleeping a big part of the day away in my car the next day. I'll be car camping since I don't know how to go backpacking around here and have never done it before despite having all of the gear. I'll be by myself too since no one I know is into this stuff. I ordered a small fan on amazon that I plan on putting on the roof pocket of my old REI Half Dome (1 plus?) facing down. As suggested earlier I'll probably get a site with electricity so I can try out my CPAP while camping. That might be a game changer.

I know there isn't really much else I can do besides maybe get naked. I don't like being naked though. I'm basically a never-nude. I asked in the YLLS hiking thread about keeping sweat out of my eyes and a few people mentioned a buff which I also just ordered. Sounds perfect for that sort of thing.

Do any of you guys camp during the hot summer months? Anything you do differently? Any specific gear you use?

Small tip but I swear by sun sleeves for hiking and cycling these days. They actually feel quite cool and evaporate sweat faster than skin

The Wiggly Wizard fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 23, 2020

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Chikimiki posted:

What's a good recommendation for a rain jacket? Main criteria is having something light & packable, breathability would be a plus. Looking at reviews online I've seen a lot of love for Arcteryx and Patagonia, I've had good experiences with both but the prices are pretty steep and there are tons of jacket models, so I'm having a hard time deciding :v:

Columbia is good enough for me. I think I have a Watertight II which has lasted 5-6 years so far with no visible wear. Kept me dry rain camping too. It packs into it's own pocket down to medium burrito size but it's not ultralight or anything. It's probably due for it's first nikwax before next rainy season.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Cnoc makes a version of the Vecto with BeFree threads now and those things are indestructible

BeFree definitely sounds like one of those women's urine funnels

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

MustardFacial posted:

I'm pretty new to hiking and backpacking, I've gone on a bunch of hikes so far and really enjoyed them. I'm looking to do an overnight sometime in the near future but I'll need a new tent first and foremost. My old tent is a Coleman 3 person that weighs about 12lbs and packed is the size of a suitcase. There's no loving way I'm taking that thing anywhere other than the bin, where it belongs.

I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of weight savings for price, and I generally have not used trekking poles so far so I don't really want a trekking pole tent. My requirements so far are this:

- max weight about 6 lbs.
- 2 person tent with either a vestibule or enough room to put my gear inside
- packs small enough to fit into a 50-55L pack
- Does not cost an absurd amount of money (let's say $350 max in Canadian rubles)
- preferably comes with a footprint

Since you're new to backpacking you should know that 2 person tents don't really fit 2 people that well unless you're snuggling. If it's just for yourself and your gear then that's another thing and I'm all for it.

Add Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 to your list. You'll need to buy or make a footprint separately.

e: Didn't realize the exchange rate. You might get one on sale for 350 CAD if you're lucky

The Wiggly Wizard fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 29, 2020

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Yeah I prefer the inverted method if you can balance it properly in the field

e: hell yeah aeropress crew. Coffee outside rocks

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Unfortunately her head absorbs too much sun and she got a little overheated even with plenty of water and long shade breaks. We need to avoid midday summer hikes even in the low 80s.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Rolo posted:

Throwing my hat in to say my REI Rainier jacket is effective, cheap and easy to pack.

I miss the old GBS CritterQuest threads from years ago. Someone please make an outdoor critter thread that is very very dog friendly. I have cool pics of bugs and wild animals I’d share.

If nobody feels like it but supports the idea I’ll happily make one tonight.

Critterquest lives on:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807356

I'd be down for a dog thread though

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Snow Peak? Yeah, they make double-walled and single-walled versions, and it's important to know which one you have, because you can gently caress up the double-walled ones by using it like a single-wall.

How so? I have a double walled Ti mug that I use daily and I don't give it any special treatment. In fact I'll put most of my bodyweight on it pushing down an aeropress.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Anyone who's made their own footprints care to weigh in on polycro vs tyvek? Main purpose is to prevent wear on the tent. I'd prefer a solution that leads to less waste over it's lifespan so I'm leaning toward the more durable tyvek solution. I also don't want to buy a big roll of something that I'm never going to use but it's got to be 90 x 70/62 inch.

Is adding grommets worthwhile if I don't plan on setting up fast fly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Morbus posted:

Does it use 4x more and last > 4x as long? I dunno, probably.

Yeah this is what I'm trying to figure out. I'll probably go with whatever I can find closest to my size which looks like polycro from gossamer gear

Morbus posted:

Honestly though, if your tent already has a floor, the simplest and easiest option is just saying gently caress it and patching any holes that appear if and when they do. Most tent floors experience minimal wear, are already made of reasonably sturdy materials, are easy to repair, and it doesn't matter if they get holes anyway.

I'm stuck in my ways and would like to keep my nice things nice even if it's just phony peace of mind.