Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Chikimiki posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking at gear & apparel for trekking in the Alps (and other mountains in the future), and I was wondering which would be better: having a down vest & rain jacket (ie Arcteryx Atom + Zeta), or just one weather resistant softshell (ie Patagonia Galvanized) ?
Trying to be as light as possible, and I wouldn't be going higher than about 3000 m. Temperature range -5°C to 25°C I would say.

Thanks in advance!

I am a bit late on this but I found this writeup on layering for backpacking to be interesting and apparently well though out (the link at the bottom has even more detail). I'm curious to see if anyone else has an opinion on that as I am not an experienced backpacker yet, just an enthusiastic day hiker.

FogHelmut posted:

Also a "How to Camp" thread would be helpful - for example, I don't know anything about dispersed camping / BLM camping, and its something I want to do. I don't think I know enough to be an OP though.

Seconded, hard. I live in SoCal so there's all this great land but everything that doesn't require some form of permit is ridiculously remote. I'm extremely interested in dispersed camping as there's massive tracts of national forest right nearby but hardly know where to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

starbucks hermit posted:

Where in SoCal? San Diego? The 909? The 949? The 213?

Everything requires a permit because people are always trashing the campgrounds and someone's gotta clean the place, unfortunately.

San Diego incidentally but there's a lifetimes worth of hiking in the area and it's all within a few hours drive. I get why there's permits and would not prefer the alternative. I carry a trash bag with me every time I hike and most times I use it. But it is a barrier to entry for those of us that are interested but don't know where to start. There's lots of resources for big trails and peaks and lots of discussion about gear and the details of actually of hiking, but not dispersed camping or the like. It would be extremely helpful discussion especially since we have a revitalized outdoors subforum everyone's looking at now.

To bring it back to gear chat re. the clothing stuff, I also forgot about this post which was linked in the OP. FWIW I wear a long sleeved poly fishing shirt and running shorts and only put on a lightweight fleece when it's near freezing, but of course when stopped or camping you'll need at least that. A Frogg Togg jacket serves as my windbreaker/rain jacket obviously doesn't usually get packed when I hike locally. Morbus' suggestion re. alpine hiking is probably better because you have extra layers if it gets really cold and can go as light or as warm as needed.

e:

OSU_Matthew posted:

Awhile ago I posted a thread for where to hike, which could easily be updated to include more info about finding places. The idea was to find new cool places to visit and share suggestions. Here’s a link!

Forgot about this thread, thanks. Its a good thread.

Rob Rockley fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 23, 2020

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Sab669 posted:

I suppose this question is antithetical to the thread, but I'm not sure where else more appropriate :v:

Any Adirondacks experts here? Looking for recommendations for a mountain that can be done in a day with dogs. Seems like most of the High Peaks suggest making a 2-day trip, based on reviews on AllTrails

While folks here will probably answer that, I would check in the dedicated hiking thread, there may already be some suggestions in that one. Hope it helps!

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

What's the latest word in women's daypacks? I got my wife a super cheap little pack off Amazon but it's not great and the chest strap sits rather uncomfortably with any load. We've been interested in picking up a better pack to hold a few liters of water and some food and maybe a jacket for our day hikes, but with Covid we haven't exactly been window shopping a lot. Any specific recommendations to look into brand or model wise?

e: thanks for the replies, Osprey will likely be where we look right away - I was kind of hoping there was a cheaper REI type bag that's a good value, but for a daypack it won't even be that expensive to go for the nice brand.

e: okay still pretty expensive, but next time there's a sale...

Rob Rockley fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 20, 2020

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

So I'm looking for a tent to get some car camping going. I got a Trail Hut 4 from REI but it had a seam blow out while putting it up and I'd like something I know isn't going to fall apart. We were looking for ideally a 3 or 4-person tent that will be pretty sturdy and not a huge hassle. Light and small enough to go backpacking with in a pinch would be nice, since we don't need standing room or anything but I'd rather get something reliable than something light but flimsy. Anything that fits the bill well there, preferably available at REI? We've already got suitable pads and sleeping bags.