Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I’ve got the Gomboy with medium teeth and it works great! Highly recommend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

White box alcohol stove?

https://whiteboxalcoholstoves.com/

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

REI has good store-brand gear. Ive had their gloves, their rain jackets, their tents, and their sleeping bags and they are usually a pretty good quality/weight/cost ratio. For example, I think the REI Magma is probably the best deal you can get on a legit cold-weather backpacking sleeping bag

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

E. ^^ this is all solid advice. Also, given your location I’m guessing you may have a connection to the University of Florida or another college (Santa fe, etc). UF has a really great outdoor activities group at the large gym thing and they rent all kinds of camping equipment for CHEAP, and I don’t think you necessarily have to be an enrolled student to take advantage.

I used to go tubing near ginnie springs (the ichetucknee river) all the time when I used to live near Alachua County. I can’t say what the camping conditions are like right now since I moved away like a decade ago, but I highly doubt you’d need much insulation for any camping you’d be doing in the area, and there is so much vegetation that I highly doubt wind will be significant factor unless you got caught in a tropical storm, etc., but I would be prepared for a lot of rainfall and mosquitos/ticks. I’d double up on a water-proofer and a peremetherin (sp?) spray and use them on your clothes/tent heavily several days before your first camping trip.

Coincidentally, I have had the half dome 2 (or something similar) for almost a decade now and it’s been with me all over, including numerous car camping and multi-day backpacking trips and it’s still going strong. Depending on your rush, I bought mine at a REI garage sale for like $125 bucks, so maybe scope out any upcoming sales.

Also, if you are car camping in Florida, buy a thick plastic tarp that is just a little smaller than the footprint of your tent and place it under your tent before you set up or you will have a bad morning. When you start doing backpacking, you can swap the heavy plastic tarp for some 2mm painters drop cloth for a less durable but much lighter version of a waterproof flooring

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 31, 2021

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

In my experience, most tents don’t come with a “real” footprint, just slightly more durable nylon than the tent itself is made out of. There are going to be a ton of sticks and stones and other detritus wherever you can find a clear spot to camp, so the tarp helps prevent punctures/slashes on the bottom of the tent from your bodyweight moving around inside it on top of said stones/Sticks.

The reason you want it smaller than the footprint of your tent is because, if it’s bigger than the footprint, rainfall will gather on the edges of the tarp and then pool into the middle of the tarp underneath your tent. If the tarp is smaller than the tents footprint, water can’t collect on top (assuming you have it fully covered under your tent)

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Also, you will get use out of that 4 person tent in a place with lots of mosquitos like Ginny springs, since you will need to be fully inside a tent once the light starts fading (and will want to stay inside until the sun is up the next day). God help you if you are out during the “grey hours”even remotely near standing water in middle Florida. Everyone can hang out in one tent and not have to deal with letting in skeeters.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

^100%; I was sloppy w/ my language.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Yea, I use sawyer squeeze for solo/ultralight backpacking; platypus gravity (4L) for camping. Even then, the platypus is nice to take along on backpacking trips cuz you can legit shower at the end of a long day of hiking.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Luci 2.0

Seriously the best and it’s ona good sale right now

MPOWERD Luci Outdoor 2.0: Solar Inflatable Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074NQLRTF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_RQ890G3WAYWFZQ506GZB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Do you guys wear them day to day, or just for active use?

I've only ever owned 1 pair of wool socks in my life, some Carhartt wool blend advertised as a "boot sock" I bought off Amazon 8 years ago for $14. They're nice over my "regular" socks in the winter when it's mega cold, or snowboarding

About two years ago I got rid of all my cotton socks and replaced them with ~10 pairs of darn tough wool socks and, honestly, it’s been one of the best purchases/upgrades I’ve made in my life. Wool socks everyday all day.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

You don’t need a beacon for a day hike lol.

Never forget that one girl in Hawaii who went out to do some yoga :911:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Talking about people who got lost and started a forest fire to save their lives, great article:

https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2006/december/lost/

Spoiler alert: they find a different dead hiker while lost

EVvv neat, never saw that episode! Also, yea, in the article they talk about how they were so excited to find the guys tent, believing him to be alive, then they went inside and found him decomposing with a note in his pack about how he knew he was stuck in the area and was going to die. They use waterproof matches they find in the dead guy’s pack, tho, so ironically the dead man ends up being their savior. Really great story, especially if you’ve ever been to Palm Springs before.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 19, 2021

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

60L should be more than enough if you have a legit backpacking sleeping bag and tent (as opposed to car camping gear).

E. Well, I should qualify this by saying it may be tight if you need to bring a bear box and you want to bring a lot of food or other luxuries, or have to bring all of your water for the trip with you (ie, no way to fill up on the trail), and/or are going solo and have to carry every piece of gear yourself.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 19, 2021

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I have the 3-piece carbon fiber cork handle cascade mountain poles, but I swear I saw someone post a two piece version a few pages back. I’d buy those in a heartbeat if I needed new poles.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Above list is pretty much what I have, but one particular item I always bring is ~20 ft of good duct tape rolled up on a very short/thin dowel rod (broken pencil, etc). Often ends up being handy

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Tuna, olives, hot peppers, and hot sauce w tortillas is my usual lunch while hiking. Bring a banana too and you’re good to go, imo. Trader Joe’s sells tuna/olives/peppers in little foil packs if you don’t want to assemble at home.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

A nice cot for a similar amount of money as the above options is a nice alternative to consider as well. As to actual car camping bags, I think the Kelly Cosmic/Camp bags are the best “value” camping (as opposed to backpacking) sleeping bags I’ve ever tried.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Pretty much. Also, as to “real world” gear, I love those ziploc twist lock food storage bowls. They are the perfect size for oatmeal in the morning and tuna mashup for lunch, and you can lock them and throw them in your bag if you don’t want to finish all of your meal right away.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I have the bear vault BV450 and it’s fine enough, although I think it’s easier to crack (and easier to pack) than the styles w the inset tops.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Personally, I hate the feeling of primarily-polyester/nylon fabrics, particularly if I am sweaty and/or wearing a backpack. I’d highly recommend spending an extra $30 and going for a lightweight merino hoodie. I like Smartwool’s merino 150 series, and they make a lightweight hoodie that is ~85/15 wool/nylon that I’d recommend. They usually have good sales on their website and/or REI/backcountry.

E. Fair points re durability/sun protection

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 7, 2021

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

How long is the trail you are taking? I’m assuming you are planning to summit and hike out in a single day since you didn’t list any overnight gear so a 40L pack seems somewhat like overkill and don’t forget to bring first aid gear, etc. , but otherwise you’re good imo. As to layers, I’d bring a good merino long-sleeve base layer long sleeve shirt to hike in and a packable down/alternative jacket to wear as you get near the summit (or as winds pick up), and maybe bring legs baselayer just in case it get unexpectedly cold or you get stuck somewhere. Mt. Hood is the farthest north in the PNW ive hiked however, so others may have better insight on local conditions/requirements, like bear mace, etc.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 3, 2021

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

If you will see other hikers reliably and are on a relatively well-hiked trail, you’re probably fine w/o satellite, imo, especially with a group of 4.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I could see them being good dog bowls. The canvas one I have gets soggy during the trip and can get a little gross.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

To be honest, that training regiment sounds like you may have set yourself up for a repetitive strain injury that you are just now discovering. You should definitely rest between days to avoid injuries; remember that “breaking” muscle strands don’t make bigger muscles, it’s the repairing of the broken strands that makes muscles bigger

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

drat, that’s a crazy good deal

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Just drove cross country with my wife and dog with the REI basecamp 4 and the exped mega mats. Highly highly recommend both.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Silky Gomboy is also a nice folding saw for camp/backpacking, imo, although it’s design only allows you to really grip one side of the saw.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

hypnophant posted:

triple aught design traverse tech tee

Never heard of these before, but they look nice. I usually buy smart wool 150’s, but I’m definitely gonna pick one of those up in the next season or two.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Definitely treat your tent

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Renting seems like the way to go imo

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I’ve had an osprey porter 45 for about 7 years now and it’s what I use almost exclusively for air travel and less-than-a-week car trips. Laptop section is in the front pocket and seems like it can get a little squished if you are fully packed up, but the compression straps are great as is the firm padding that is on the sides. Really great bag that still looks brand new after regular usage. Highly recommend, just not for backpacking (too heavy).

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Lot of love for the kingdome, but I’ll just say upgrading to the REI Basecamp 4 for car camping this year was great! It only takes 4 poles (5 w rainfly) and fully sets up/down in about 10 min once you know what you’re doing. Still love my halfdome2 for backpacking and light camping, but that basecamp (w a mega mat) has actually got my wife excited to sleep outside. One of the aluminum poles did bend on first set up but not so much to be unusable; I keep meaning to get over to REIfor a replacement but have been too lazy/busy

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I’ve had to train myself to sleep on my back. I honestly never can get comfortable sleeping on my preferred side when camping :(

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Yea, a long 0 is overkill for your intended use. I’d recommend looking for a “summer” “quilt” (basically a rectangular sleeping bag), particularly if you are backpacking v car camping. Get a silk liner and a good set of 250 weight merino base layers to use in the quilt for cold nights. Also, this somewhat depends on if your partner sleeps “hot” v “cold”; if she’s the kind of person who wears a parka while sitting at her computer, the 0 may not actually be a bad idea

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I don’t know about that, but the LUCI 2.0 is what I recommend to everyone looking for a backpacking lantern. I think they make a few variations thereof, all w different lights (from cool to warm, SOS beacons, candle, etc.). Check it out: https://mpowerd.com/collections/solar-lanterns

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Crosspost from pyf recent purchases thread

jfff posted:

Sock talk - socksaddict is running another black Friday sale on Darn Tough socks this year. 25% off code HIKETOUGH good Nov 17 - Nov 30
Last year replaced all my smartwool with darn tough, no regrets.

Just picked up a few myself. Basic shipping was $3.99, but at 25% off each pair, it’s still a great deal if you pick up a couple pairs.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

The best backpacking card game I’ve played so far is “monopoly deal”.

MONOPOLY Deal Card Game (Amazon Exclusive) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NQQTZCO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_BKV8F5T6GD4YQWA1AVRS

Not sure if it’s age appropriate for your youngest, but the 9yo and the adults at least would have a blast. Highly recommended for killing a few hours around camp.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

If you have no qualms about looking a little weird w your glove choice, check out “Showa TemRes 282” gloves, and if you can find them, the 282-02 model in particular. They are basically industrial gloves that are 100% waterproof, have a soft liner, and a textured grip. The 282-02 models even have a nice cinch at the end to keep out drafts. They run small, so be sure to size up a size (or two if you plan on wearing liners, though you shouldn’t need them).

https://www.go2marine.com/showa-282...ASABEgLnqfD_BwE

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

There's no worry about the pack being crushed somehow? Like bending the frame?

I don’t think a piece of canvas (I.e, a duffel bag) was going to stop that anyhow. You could maybe wrap it in bubble wrap if that’s your concern, but I think you’re gonna be screwed either way in that scenario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Verman posted:

Weird, my platypus stuff has all been great. Never leaked. Never had an issue with the bite valves at all. I think I've got .... 4-5? They must have changed the design. That's a bummer.

Same. Any chance it was a manufacturing defect? Maybe contact platypus and see if they’ll send you a replacement.