Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
I don't take a stove with my a large chunk of the times I head out. But if there is a fire ban or the area is sensitive (even if fires are allowed) I'll take one. If you're going to be having a campfire anyway then taking a stove isn't needed at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Chard posted:

Sometimes I forget that a lot of folks don't live in a state is perpetually on fire/almost on fire.

Ahahaha, :australia:

We just realise that fire is going to happen and don't be dumb when the weather is stupid fire weather.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

OSU_Matthew posted:

So I was about to buy [http://thetentlab.com/Deuce/DeuceofSpadespage.html]the deuce of spades poop trowel[/url], but then I noticed on their site that they've got a really slick looking tent called the Moonlight Tent. Even though I'm a hammock guy, I kinda want to get a nice tent for places I'm going with other people that may not have great hammock sites and I'm not sure what tents the cool kids are using these days. Anyone heard of or used the moonlight tent? Is it worth the extra pound or two over the Copper Spur or MSR Hubba Hubba? Is there something better I should be looking at?

Just use a tarp. That way you can take your hammock tarp setup and if there isn't anything to setup off you can sleep under the stars or tarp if it looks sketchy. This advice applies great here where it never really gets cold so ymmv.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Given I live in a place that is shorts and t-shirts all year round this never cotton stuff is amazing. Dress for the area you're going to be, it's as simple as that.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I like well done beans in my trekking poles. It's not a real pole without them.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

FogHelmut posted:

Hopefullly I'm going to be doing some car camping in the Southern California area. I'm looking for a tent, and/or other gear. Weight isn't much of a concern, though I'm not really looking for anything larger than in the 4-6 person range. Breaking the bank, however, is a concern. I've been looking at Alps Mountaineering and CORE Equipment - something a step up from Coleman stuff, but not anything super high end. Although I read somewhere recently that Coleman was making an effort to improve their quality?

I don't know how much of a difference it makes, its pretty dry here most of the time. Most of my camping experience is in the East Coast, generally with high humidity and dense mosquitos. I don't think those concerns come into play around here.

Any suggestions? Most of the internet seems to think "you can't possibly camp without $1000 worth of gear." But I'm car camping, not hiking.

If bugs aren't a problem you can get by with just a tarp, it's what I use most of the year in a similar climate to SoCal (although I have a fancy expensive cuban fibre one so spending money can definitely be done). You really aren't going to get cheaper than that, in fact you can probably find one free on craigslist or something. Tents are really only needed when you want either a bit more privacy or the bugs / weather are a problem. Given that you have a car it could work just sleeping in that if the weather gets too garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Greatest bushwalking shoes I've ever used. But given the fact that my entire continent is basically flat and the need for ankle protection non-existent, having light shoes that you don't need to take off every time you hit a creek is great. Combine that with the fact that they're about the cheapest shoes you can buy it was a no brainer.