Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

^^
A vast majority of my camping stuff is from thrift stores (my wife sells poo poo on Ebay so we were in them a bunch in the before times). I have a Lodge 2 burner skillet/griddle, a 12" cast iron pan, a 10-12" square w/ grill slats cast iron pan, and a 12" Dutch Oven that aside from the skillet/griddle were all purchased at thrift stores for ~ $25 total. The skillet/griddle was free because a woman who was trading stuff in at Next Adventure in front of me was moving and they didn't want it. I said please and thank you.

RE: cooking stoves, my mother in law one a MtnDew branded version of this Primus stove (https://bit.ly/3htcNY0) at a metal detecting thing a few years ago and gave it to me. It lives in one of those big black/yellow storage bins from Home Depot with all of my cast iron, some fuel and other "I'm living in this place for a while" base camp stuff. I've had a Coleman Grillin Griddle (https://bit.ly/32H1ojb) for years that is probably my most used cooking implement. I have cooked so many parking lot meals at the mountain with it, and it's stupid easy to clean. I came up on a Iron Lodge skillet/griddle that I use with my Primus stove now since it packs up into that bin easier.

There are boxes stashed in an out of reach part of my garage for a old Coleman stove & lantern. We rent from my mother in law and they've been there the entire 20 years I've been in this house. I just noticed a couple of days ago that the stove box is actually empty. I need to figure out if the lantern's is too.

RE: Small chair - I picked up a Thermarest Treo (https://bit.ly/39oAeib) for cheap a couple of summers ago. I wouldn't have paid more than the $30 I got it for, and an MSRP of $100 is :lol:. It only has 3 legs so it can be a bit treacherous for base camp drinking. But everything fits into the base and it's about the size of a water bottle. I keep it stashed in my "Running a snowboard competition" backpack in the winter so I have a handy spot to sit on course if need be.

highme fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

^^ Get thee to the hammock thread.

My wife loves not camping. It works out great because she never complains when I go and I don't have to worry about planning for more than me.

edit: My kids are adults, so I only have to feel guilty about leaving her with the dogs.

highme
May 25, 2001

Hadn't heard of that chair before, but saw one on Geartrade a couple of days ago. https://www.geartrade.com/item/635265/thermarest-uno-chair-black-mesh

highme
May 25, 2001

Let's go camping friend.

I'm not a fan that we piled on what was a backpacking specific gear thread and agree a car camping type thread would be good. Although I think glamping, overlanding, and car camping are all distinctly different activities, it's probably best to combine them until there's enough traffic for disparate threads. Most of my outdoor living is a combo of car camping or overlanding. I don't really identify as a glamper, but I might be, regardless, I'm happy to work with somebody else putting together a megathread.

highme
May 25, 2001

Verman posted:

Always up for a trip. Currently I'm trying to keep my social bubble to the few people I've been hanging out with from the start but definitely once things loosen up.

As far as overlanding, that's one of those that might have some crossover with AI but I haven't browsed the threads in there in a long time and the poo poo I do is barely overlanding. A car camping there's could be a good idea.

Yeah, my current camping is either solo or with one friend. I opted out of the Gambler500 this year and just went to sleep in the woods by myself. The only AI thread I pay attention to any more is the 4x4 thread. TGO mods came through to see if they were interested in moving here too, but I don't think it did.

highme
May 25, 2001

My dad turns 70 tomorrow and is still putting a 200-300 miles a week in on his bike.

highme
May 25, 2001

My wife loves not camping. We have a good arrangement, I disappear to the woods/desert/mountain a few times a year and she says “I’ll see you when you get back.”

In actual gear talk, picked up a SJK Roadhouse Tarp off OfferUp this week. I’ve been looking for something that I could use to extend shelter in my 4Runner and this looked perfect. All the reviews were glowing but said “if you can find one in stock...” so when I found one for $40 and dude offered to deliver it for $10 I said sounds great. Now I need to work on that sleep platform again.

https://slumberjack.com/roadhouse-tarp/

highme
May 25, 2001

It’s a huge outdoor year. If you have extra stuff laying around you’ve been thinking about selling, this is the time. I made a split decision to try and sell a Walrus Zoid 1 and 85L pack last week to fund some other stuff. Sold them both within a couple of hours to the first people that responded.

Speaking of which, the Gregory Paragon 48 pack I ordered from REI should arrive today.

highme
May 25, 2001

awesome

FCKGW posted:

I've been running a Paragon 58 for a couple years, love it.

Did you get the clearance one or the new 2020 model?

I grabbed the clearance one since it was $70. The 48 was a much better size than an 85 for me. I'm more inclined to take my truck on an extended off grid trip than I am to do so backpacking. Going out for a night or 2 on foot is much more likely. My weekends in the winter are usually spent running high school snowboard competitions and I'd like a little more space for all the things I drag up to course with me on comp days. If I could attach a board to this it would be perfect for a couple day winter tour too.

edit: oh, and the UPS delivery I got wasn't that, it was the pop up privacy tent I got for the poop bucket, plus another one I didn't order. Thanks Jeff!

highme fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 11, 2020

highme
May 25, 2001

I’ve had a couple of cheaper plug in coolers and they never seemed to be good at anything but keeping casseroles or some poo poo warm.

I actually decided a good cooler was the last piece of car camping equipment I needed and grabbed a Canyon Outfitter 55 a couple of weeks ago. Between it and my 20l soft sided Yeti knockoff it was great for 2 people for 3 days with lots of beer. Though, I would have grabbed the Outfitter 70 if they had any in stock.

The Clymb had some decent looking rotomolded coolers for around $200 when I was looking. I would have gone that route if I could wait for shipping.

highme
May 25, 2001

We've got friends who spend a week each summer at Wallowa Lake and I'm always mad I am not there too.

highme
May 25, 2001

Colonel J posted:

I have a MEC Vectair : https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5042-420/VectAir-Insulated-Sleeping-Pad
I really like it.

My next camping trip though I want to try sleeping in a hammock. Can I/ should I use the pad in the hammock? Maybe deflate it less? Is it worth it? thanks.

If you're gonna be someplace where it gets cold at night, you'll want the insulation.

highme
May 25, 2001

What's the weight on that rod & reel? My dad gave me a nice reel a few years ago, but I never got an adequate rod to go with it. I would like a compact set up to start loving around with when I'm out. I don't expect to catch much but if I can smoke a joint while fly fishing for brookies with nobody around, why the gently caress not?

highme
May 25, 2001

Thanks for bringing this up. My last camping trip led to sleepless nights for my wife because I failed to check in when leaving coverage. I spend enough time tempting fate in the parts of Oregon Verizon ignores, that an emergency radio would be nice.

highme
May 25, 2001

REI has an insulated queen size sleeping pad on sale I was looking at. I have a nice insulated Exped mat I picked up at a garage sale a couple of years ago and it’s perfect for when it’s just me. A larger one for when either my wife or usual camping sidekick are there would be nice.

highme
May 25, 2001

I have a ReVolt that happened to. Glad to hear it’s a known thing and not just poo poo luck. I thought I had lost it, so I picked up a Nitecore NU20 and like it quite a bit more.

highme
May 25, 2001

Will second that statement. The only way I would use a RTT is on a trailer behind my 4Runner. I have no need to carry around the extra weight and wind resistance. Grabbed a Kingdome 4 earlier this summer, and it's perfect. Goes up & comes down quickly, is loving huge on the inside and I found it on OfferUp for $200. Saw a Kingdome 6 pop up a month later for the same price and was going to swap, but it did not last half a day.

highme
May 25, 2001

Most of my JetBoil use is to heat water for the French press.

highme
May 25, 2001

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm looking for a sleeping bag to use to sleep in my car in close to zero degree temperatures. Weight and bulk isn't an issue since I'll never be hiking with it.

What do you guys recommend?

I have a nice Kelty 0° bag that is my first choice for sleeping in my van in a ski resort parking lot. I also picked up one of these a couple of years ago in case anybody joined me --> https://www.nextadventure.net/wilderness-technology-light-0-xl-sleeping-bag.html

highme
May 25, 2001

Recently watched season 3 of Alone and the guy the won's main tool was one of those Spetznaz shovels. His praise for it got edited into the footage quite a bit. Glad to know what they're actually called because I wanted to add one to the bin. Gonna point out those Italian WWI shovels to a couple of Gambler500 folks I know because that's a perfect "Slap this poo poo on the side of your $500 Tercel in case you get into some poo poo" shovel.

highme
May 25, 2001

Sab669 posted:

Just looking for a thin glove for 25-40ºF where my hands are slightly too cold if unexposed while walking my dogs 1-3 miles every day.

I've got plenty of "real" gloves for when I'm snowboarding and out in colder temperatures and all that jazz.

If you have big hands I have a pair of Burton spring/pipe gloves I’ll drop in the mail for you. I bought them one spring day and stuffed them in my van’s center console, then forgot about them.

highme
May 25, 2001

REI garage sales are the best. I got my baller Exped Megamat 10 for $50 because “it leaks”. I am happy to share that after 5 years of use, it doesn’t leak.

highme
May 25, 2001

Where are you? I doubt anyone is interested in highme’s REI shopping tales, but I’m definitely lucky that I could ride a bike to the closest REI in about 10 minutes. I’ve been to a few garage sales at the Portland flagship store and one at the Denver flagship. The Denver sale was a waste of time.

highme
May 25, 2001

Just gonna say, if you’re ever in Portland make sure you hit up the basement at Next Adventure. The return policy isn’t as good, but when you’re paying 30% of retail because a rep had sample merch they were done with you shouldn’t care.

highme
May 25, 2001

I have an REI Kingdome 4 and it’s amazing for car camping. The Kingdome 6 has to be that much more amazing. Seriously though, it sets up and comes down in 15 minutes or so, roomy as gently caress inside and I can’t imagine it can’t handle most 3 season storms.

Also, instead of a REI footprint you can find custom Tyvek one on eBay for ~$15.

highme
May 25, 2001

Just wandered into my local REI to return some bike fenders and discovered they have started putting any garage sale type of items on the sales floor with the rest of things. Conveniently enough, I found the fenders I was going to get instead of what I was returning in a Garage Sale bin (as well as a nice pair of polarized Chromapop Smith glasses, a Sawyer water filtration kit and some bike lights).

highme
May 25, 2001

You'll probably get plenty of great answers here, but there's also a hammock specific thread --> https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933174

highme
May 25, 2001

Chard posted:

if you're going to get a bladder anyway i strongly recommend the CNOC bladders. super easy to fill, very tough material, and built-in interface with sawyer squeeze filters so on longer trips you can get clean water as you go

Seconding the thanks, grabbed the vertical filtration package.

highme
May 25, 2001

^^ been debating between using my REI coupon for a bike computer or an InReach.

My pair of CNOC bladders and filter arrived. Since I have a Sawyer Microsqueeze too, I was thinking a decent way to store them would be 1 bladder wrapped around a filter in a wide mouth Nalgene. Looking for options to be able to connect the filter to the widemouth and want something like this (https://jetflow.com/buyaccessories/63-mm-adapter) that isn't $15. Any suggestions? Nevermind, I found an MSR replacement cap for $6 on Amazon that should work.

\/\/ I was looking for a way to use the Nalgene as the bottom half of a gravity system where it's all connected and I don't have to worry about my clumsy rear end knocking it over.

highme fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 21, 2021

highme
May 25, 2001

FWIW I've spent several comfortable nights in my Clark hammock just using a sleeping bag in low 40s overnights on Hood in the spring. A nice underquilt on my "buy soon" list so if you have the means, you should get one, but have had many amazing nights out without one.

highme
May 25, 2001

I grabbed a Megamat at a garage sale a few years ago. It's probably the single most used piece of gear I've owned since. I have beat the ever living poo poo out of it, and I love it. I left it unrolled on the sleeping platform in the back of my van for 2 winters. It paired with my Kelty 0° bag were all I've needed for Mt Hood winter camping in a vehicle. It was used frequently in the before for any of our friends' kids or kids' friends. Basically, anytime I'm not sure what my sleeping arrangements are going to be, I take it and a bag.

I also own the REI insulated queen mattress mentioned, but only bought it late last summer and haven't had a chance to use it. We were headed to Bend for a long weekend when I bought it, then Oregon went up in flames. We slept on our friends' couch and headed home early to hide from the gross air.

highme
May 25, 2001

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Check out the REI kingdome tents too. I always see them up for sale at REI garage sales, if those ever start again. Its our go to car camping tent, and I've been in a few summer thunderstorms in it and stayed dry while my friends cheap Colemans leaked.

Co-signing this, love my Kingdome 4.

highme
May 25, 2001

It's REI, you can probably get 2 employees to help you set it up.

highme
May 25, 2001

I love my Kingdome 4 and would have a hard time walking away from a Kingdome 8 at that price with a hole in the fly.

highme
May 25, 2001

Speaking of gear whoring, if any Denver folks are searching for an Exped mat I was in the REI in on wadsworth in Littleton yesterday and they had an Exped 10 and 15 in their garage sale room.

highme
May 25, 2001

I grabbed the Cnoc dual bladder system with a filter when someone mentioned it in the thread and while I don’t need to filter water as much as some folks it works great as a gravity set up. I also have a Sawyer Micro Squeeze so I can use both bladders to get water and filter into a Nalgene or Smartwater bottle.

highme
May 25, 2001

Steely Dad posted:

My challenge is that I’m mostly camping as a solo adult with a pair of kindergartners, so I need something that is sized for 4 and easy for a newbie solo camper to set up while keeping an eye on kids. Aside from being loud and shaky in the wind, the Instant Cabin was perfect. Can anyone point me toward anything that might be a little better in the wind?

I’m a broken record on this suggestion but I just spent 2 nights in my REI Kingdom 4 in south central Oregon where we didn’t have to deal with that kind of sustained wind (or if we did I didn’t notice), but there were some substantial gusts that didn’t phase it and I didn’t even guy it out that well. It’s not as easy of a setup as a pop up tent but it took me about 15 minutes to put it up the first time by myself. Setup is pretty straightforward and the internal space is well thought out. It would take a while before you and a pair of 5 year olds outgrow it as well.

I don’t have a pic of the tent set up, but here’s last night’s sunset with fog coming off the wet part of Summer Lake.

highme
May 25, 2001

Steely Dad posted:

I had been thinking a Kingdom 6 but was put off by the price and difficulty of setup, but if you say the 4 is easy, I’ll have to check it out. Maybe I can watch some setup videos and see if it looks manageable for me. Too bad it’s not on sale right now; maybe I’ll wait for the next time it is.

There’s some definite “buy once, cry once” going on. I bought mine used so it wasn’t that much, but still not cheap, but worth every penny IMO.

The 6 would probably be a bit tougher to setup solo, though I’d definitely have to look at instructions to be sure. It would be real hard to outgrow though.

highme
May 25, 2001

^^ I have a 32L Gregory Miwok pack that is amazing.

smackfu posted:

We went car camping for three nights last weekend and our Coleman air mattress was as disappointing as ever and was basically flat ever morning. Is that just life? Is there a better sleeping solution for two adults totaling 400 pounds or so?

I love my Exped Megamat for solo camping (and also for throwing out another twin bed when our friends visit with kids), but when I’m sharing my tent with my wife we have an REI Kingdom queen insulated mattress. The first night we used it I over filled it a bit because I expected some leakage but the next night I deflated it a bit because it was still too firm. If you’re an REI member and have one nearby you might find one in their garage sale stuff, there were a few in my local for $50-70 earlier this year, but they’re about $150 retail.

My other regular camping companion has one of those Coleman mattresses you buy when you really want the in laws to start paying for hotel rooms when they visit and it sucks.

highme fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I spotted a Miwok 20 on REI Outlet early in the spring sale for ~$45 after coupon and didn’t pull the trigger right away. That was dumb because 2 days later it was gone.