Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hdip posted:

When my husky was a puppy (1-5 years old) I would take her for a walk with her backpack on and random stuff put in it to "tire her out". Then I realized, I was only making her stronger!

Huskies love this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can a human body fold down to 40L?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You also wouldn't want any halfway decent tent to get shot full of holes the first time you use it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Crocs

not joking

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Use the strap to go in all-terrain mode.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you use the trash compactor bag method don't forget about anything outside of the main pocket (e.g. sleeping bag).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe those weird rubber barefoot shoes with the toes?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Literally wearing mine right now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Imagine the weight savings in not having to pack in a cast iron skillet to cook the ground beef!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

MistressMeeps posted:

What about carrying a small backpacking trowel and burying it on site?

Presumably if OP is toting poo around in baggies then burial is either not possible or not allowed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Lord Stimperor posted:

It's supposed to be easy to set up, lots of room for us and our small pupper, and relatively resistant against bugs and bad weather. We got it for a very reasonable price (less than 250E), so the loss won't hurt too much if we have to sell. But I'm super super stoked for next month!

Per previous post, don't forget to post pix of the camp dog.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

How so? I have a double walled Ti mug that I use daily and I don't give it any special treatment. In fact I'll put most of my bodyweight on it pushing down an aeropress.

Probably putting it on a camp stove.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Traditionally the way to peep on the next camp over was to just sneak in close enough to see with the naked eye.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

PokeJoe posted:

get a day pack w a waist belt that has a snack/weed compartment

Every compartment is a snack/weed compartment.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My UL bandanna cost $37.50.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

PookBear posted:

I'm interested in a GPS like the bushnell backtrack where you simply put in a homepoint and then it just gives you a heading and distance, is there any other GPS that does this?

Literally every GPS does that?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Tecnu is soap and mineral spirits, if you don't have it you could try those also. It's an extremely "sticky" oil so solvents and scrubbing are the key to removing it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Unless you got cosmetic ankle enlargement surgery I would just get cheap socks to wear until the swelling goes down.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

PokeJoe posted:

Same, I've got like 7 pairs of them now. I got my job to expense me a few pairs under our "wellness" plan lol

What's the rationale for expensive socks being a required component of wellness? Asking for a friend.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

drat, it's starting to get to that time of year where I start buying tons of hiking/camping gear I don't need. My basement "outdoors" section is already full and overflowing into the middle of the room.

If there is room to overflow to the middle of the room then the room still has empty space, not sure what the problem is.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The trick to getting by without a PLB is just to make sure that you never get in trouble.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thing about first aid gear is you hardly ever need it, until you need it really badly.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I also have Salomon shoes and like them. The last pair I got has this totally bananas shoelace system where you just pull on some kind of zip-tie thing instead of tying a knot.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Cobble together some kind of webbing arrangement that allows you to attach straps to the canister, then just pack all your stuff in there and carry that on your back. No backpack required.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

caltopo lets you import gpx tracks. You'd basically be printing a screenshot but they have some nice looking map layers you use.

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole qgis is the tool to use because it lets you customize every aspect of your map. If you just want a simple import and print template solution don't bother.

Caltopo can do pdf exports suitable for printing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
People give me poo poo for packing my little folding chair on day hikes, then I laugh while they hunt around for a convenient rock or log when it comes time to stop for lunch.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dick Burglar posted:

So if I'm new to camping, one of these things wouldn't be a terrible way to getting into it? I'd like to get a legit tent as well, but if I can start with a lovely tent--because I'm gonna end up intentionally/unintentionally abusing my first tent--I'd feel less bad about chewing it up. Also, any particular recommendations on patch kits and seam sealers, or are they all pretty much the same?

Edit: I did recently buy a decent(?) sleeping bag according to this thread, a Kelty cosmic down 20, because I needed a sleeping bag in a hurry--and gently caress spending money on a lovely sleeping bag.

Cheap tents are totally fine if you will be a few minutes from your car when something goes wrong. If you are a few days into the back country then having your shelter fail catastrophically could be a life or death problem so you might want more reliability.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A Tilly hat obviously.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I also have a Columbia boonie hat (I think that is what it is) that I like because it is very light and ventilated but it might be a bit too technical for a Dad Hat.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you've never cut your hand messing around with a knife then you haven't really messed with any knives.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
70% of camping is sitting outside staring at an open flame!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Usually when people talk about car camping they mean the situation where you basically drive up to a campsite and set up right there. You can bring as much stuff as you like and don’t have to worry about carrying it any real distance. I guess camping literally inside your car with no tent is a subset of that, but it will usually be obvious is someone is talking specifically about that.

As opposed to backpacking where you pack in everything you need for the night a good distance in a single trip and you need to worry a lot more about total weight and volume.

withak fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 25, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They are more than a little tacticool.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like it is a good thing that I don't live anywhere that requires accessories like that because I wouldn't be able to resist them. It would only be a matter of time before any floor that I spend any time near would get accidentally destroyed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How do members go about transmitting a middle finger to the decision-makers, aside from quitting?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I fashioned minimalist sandals out of a scrap of old t-shirt and some dental floss. I weighed six different t-shirts to find the lightest one to use.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Spend it on expensive snacks.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have also tried others and not found anything better than the Columbia one.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Seems like if you could fit one smaller backpack inside of a second larger backpack for storage purposes then that should only count as one backpack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I use an inflatable pillow also, but I like a pretty firm pillow. I blow it up all the way then while laying on it let air out slowly until it feels comfortable.