Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

In Finland I eat Real Turmat but it's 9€/meal, I think it is nicest.

I bought some Firepot meals from England around 7,2€/meal to try them out.

Some finnish company called Leader sells food for 6€/meal but those are all garbage. I eat them anyways because they are cheap.

Blå band from varusteleka.com is OK too. I mean the price. The food is not that good.

I am too lazy to cook & dish so I just boil water these days and pour it to the food pouch and wait. Cooking is nice in theory but as a solo backpacker.. whatever.

Real Turmat is the poo poo! The Fuel Your Preparation (formerly European Mountain House) stuff is pretty decent too. I bought a sample pack from them and got a fair # of packages for a decent price. (PS: you can find Real pretty cheap on the hiking/wandering forums in the fall after people get back from their outings)

The pasta meals they have at Stadium Outlet (not sure if you have those in Finland) are OK, usually cost around 65 SEK.

Does Varusteleka still sell the leirikyrpä kits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

North Face Triarch 2? 1.7kg, 214 long but if it’s like my Triarch 3 the walls lean outwards for a bit so it feels very roomy. Bit of an over complicated pole system but manageable.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Lol this is insane, they spend several years miserable and uncomfortable trying to figure out an ultralight sleep system all while carrying around a ton of unnecessary camera gear. A normal tent/sleeping bag setup would probably weigh less than one of their extra lenses.

Yeah, they could likely get away with carrying an RX10 + WA attachment.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Should we try to get a gear review thread going? I am sure there are more than a few of us who have gone through a number of different tents, backpacks etc. Not sure if it's possible to structure it in some manner so that it could be searched?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Verman posted:

My only hesitation is that this thread already kind of serves that function, people just need to ask about a specific type of equipment and most are keen to offer their experience. Considering this whole thread is dedicated to just gear, having a separate review thread might split the audiences attention. My other point is that gear changes yearly so it's possible that it might not stay relevant or current as gear changes. I have a lot of experience with different gear, but at this point none of my backpacks are current models, same with my sleeping bag, tent etc. It would also need to be searchable for best usage. If you want to do a review thread, go for it. Maybe it will pick up steam.

You make a great point re: availability of the gear. Thinking about it half of the stuff I have can't be found new today, or has been revised so it's not quite the same anymore. We can just gear whore out in this thread instead and see where it goes.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

So I am thinking about getting The North Face One Bag to replace a couple of sleeping bags and a hammock quilt. Currently using the Snugpak quilt which is fine, but it looks like the down layer of the One Bag would work as a quilt and provide similar or better performance. It would also work as a system to replace my cold sleeping bag (very rarely used) and summer bag. Seems like a decent way to simplify things a bit. Or am I wrong?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, I got a piece of gear home that I've really been looking forward to. Going to test it proper this coming weekend, but couldn't resist checking it out at home.

North Face "The one bag". Basically it's a lower part combined with two uppers: one synthetic and one down. Run either one alone, or both together. The yellow down one is quite wide so will easily serve as a nice toasty hammock quilt. Also has snaps so you can wear it around camp if you're a bit chilly. Finally the compression bag has a fleece liner so you can turn it inside out and stuff some clothes in and have a decent pillow.

loving clever. And while I haven't used it in the wild yet I gotta say everything feels like it's quite good quality.

If this works out it'll replace three sleeping bags and a top quilt for me.

(edit: forgot to mention it's very roomy inside, can easily move around and not feel cramped)

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 22, 2020

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Xmas came early this year.

Did a trade that got me a Hennessy Safari setup:

And acquired a Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape and NetTent.

Gonna use both this coming long weekend for a trip. The Safari is HUGE compared to my Expedition.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Stringent posted:

I've never been in a hammock with the sides guyed out, how is it compared to a regular one?

Makes no real difference. It’s shock cord so lets it move around a fair bit. Just makes it easier to hop in.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

On the topic of pots and such, I want a light weight pot/mug with both a mug handle and a bail handle. Enough to make some soup or boil some water for food. 750ml maybe? Has to be able to be used over a fire. Suggestions? (Needs a lid too obviously.)

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Sockser posted:

e: after shouting about this for an hour, it has come to my attention that the problem is that I can't do math good and I translated 3lb14oz to 46 oz instead of 62. Welp.

Just wait until you start weighing tents.

1470 grams? Sure, if you don't include tent stakes, lines, zipper pulls, stuff bag, throw a helium balloon in there...

content: picked up a Frisport Lavvu tipi tent on clearance when a local branch of a sports equipment store shut down. Got a huge discount since it was the last day, open box (return), and figured it was worth a gamble. Ye gods, it was not. These are pretty complex to setup, especially the initial setup where you have to get the "hat" on with the lines to pull it into position etc. Looked like someone had NOT tried to set it up at home, went out in the woods, and exploded in a fit of chimp rage when they couldn't get it setup. Several of the plastic clips were torn off the webbing, the center pole pieces were forced together incorrectly and could not be taken apart, the lines were routed all wrong and damaged... gently caress

Gonna make an attempt tomorrow to get it exchanged for a new one from another branch. Paid 80% less than normal price so we shall see, worst case I just return it and get my money back.

You should ALWAYS set poo poo up at home and familiarize yourself with it. Learning a new piece of gear when you're hours away from home in the woods is NOT a smart thing to do.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 24, 2020

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Sockser posted:

Yeah with tents I know what I'm in for, and I know that billed weights are super fucky
But a backpack that's off by over 25% threw me for a loving loop

You look at the Osprey Exos 58? Brother has one and it's pretty drat nice, think it weighs a fair bit less than yours.

Surprised at the weight of your top quilt. Been looking the the Cumulus ones and even their -14C comfort one only weighs 725 grams / 26oz.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I ended up getting a The North Face "One bag". Haven't had it out in proper cold yet but man, it's a nice piece of kit. Worked great as a summer sack with the synthetic top. Used the fairly wide down top as a quilt in the hammock. Can use down for colder, or down+synthetic for even colder. Roomy as hell too. Not the lightest (partially because it uses two zippers along the entire length) but a really nice, flexible bag for a decent price.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

highme posted:

FWIW I've spent several comfortable nights in my Clark hammock just using a sleeping bag in low 40s overnights on Hood in the spring. A nice underquilt on my "buy soon" list so if you have the means, you should get one, but have had many amazing nights out without one.

I think that's highly dependent on the individual. Personally I would not want to be in my hammock sans underblanket if it's < 60F even in a sleeping bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

Anyone have a particular cheap axe they like?

If you are willing to put in a little effort you can find a really nice axe head used and put a new shaft on it. I bought one made by Urafors Bruk here in Sweden for $20 and put a new shaft on it for ten bucks more. Took a little work but it's a wonderful little axe (head is around 600g) that works well for general "bushcrafting".