Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT
First aid kit chat: Hypothermia is a real killer. In addition to a basic day kit like in the OP, I carry a cheap survival bivvy bag (one of those plastic/Mylar ones), a waterproof/goretex shell, and a fleece/down jacket everywhere.

You can't rely on a cell signal in the mountains around here. If you're out on a simple 3-4 hour loop and someone goes down near the halfway point with a mobility injury it might be another 4 hours before they can be evacuated -- able bodied person will need 2 hours to get to the trailhead where they can hopefully place a call, then another hour or two for rescue if they decide you rate a helicopter. Longer than that if you get lost or they need to walk you out.

I also keep an extra Bic lighter and a couple waxed cotton balls in a ziplock in my first aid kit for that same wait-for-rescue scenario.

If you wear contacts you really should have a couple spare disposables in your kit as well, and a glasses repair kit if you wear those. Busting a pair of glasses and not being able to repair them is a good way to find out how useful the rest of your first aid kit is after you blunder into easily avoidable hazards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

What did you get? I'm looking at that exact thing right now and trying to decide between the expensive Big Agnes Copper Spur or a cheap MEC one.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

Fjallraven Kebs are the best pants and hit all your requirements. They even have pockets built into the knees for pads.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Any goons rolling with that $16 pocket rocket knockoff from Amazon? My old stove is super corroded after 10+ years in storage

I have one. I got a real pocket rocket after a couple trips. The piezoelectric ignitor gave up really early and the arms aren’t very stable - a roiling boil always made me concerned my pot would tip over. It never did though.

Not a bad get, really, but for ~$50 the MSR version has a lot more quality.