Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
I'm going backpacking tomorrow for a few days and I'm wondering if it's uncommon to just not bring a stove? This'll be my first trip where I'll need hot water for food and my plan is to just use a campfire with a pot or whatever. I have trouble budgeting weight/space as it is, I don't want to try to accommodate a stove. I see stoves are always recommended but it just seems unnecessary to me? I've only gone backpacking a few times, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
I tried the Peak Refuel brand recently and I loving _loved_ the chicken pesto pasta. Going to try the alfredo next but so far that pesto on is one of my top 5.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
Man quilts seem pretty popular but I just can't stand them. What's with their popularity? Are they just lighter than traditional bags?

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

MMD3 posted:

About to pull the trigger on a Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 (redesigned for 2020).

Any reason I shouldn't other than $$$?

My partner and I barely fit with my 25" pad and her 20" pad. I would go +1 if you're not solo

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
for those of you with several sleeping bags, how do you stagger the temps? i have a 45 and a 30 degree bag and now that winter's approaching i'm looking to buy some colder ones. thinking i might get a 15 degree bag and a -5 degree bag as i mostly camp in southwest US. not sure if i should have 45/30/15/-5 spread or maybe 45/30/10/-10? i don't think i'll be camping anywhere colder than negative single digits. how do you guys buy different bags by temperature?

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

You're not really approaching this the right way. Buy a warmer bag if you need it based on projected lows at your next destination, but not as a hypothetical to fill out your menagerie.

i have known lowest range of single digit negatives and i'm wondering if a 15 degree bag and a -5 degree bag will be adequate for everything in between. i had to bail out of a trip this weekend because i don't have a warm enough bag and i'd prefer to be prepared for any colder temperatures in the future so this doesn't happen again

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
maybe i should just buy a -5 degree bag and see if i'm comfortable using it when it's ~20 degrees? maybe i don't need two. i just want to be prepared for impromptu trips when they come up

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Verman posted:

Do you enjoy buying sleeping bags? I'm curious as to why you want to have so much overlap.

no, i was just curious about other people's setups who camp year round. sounds like my bags are probably too close together in terms of warmth and i should just buy a single, much warmer one

j.peeba posted:

In very cold temperatures two bags can actually be a pro move that can beat a single thicker sleeping bag. With a single down bag the dew point where moisture condenses can easily end up on the surface or even inside the bag. This can’t be avoided in all circumstances (unless you’re willing to try a vapor barrier lock which can be a miserable experience) but the damage can be controlled by using a synthetic bag or quilt on top so that the dew point hopefully stays in the synthetic. The synthetic can be quite thin, like a 1 season bag, and it’ll be easy to dry. With a 3 season down bag underneath you should be able to push the combo well below freezing. I haven’t tried the method myself but apparently it’s quite popular with the more serious arctic explorers and mountaineers.

that's interesting i think i'll try that

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
kinda wish sleeping pad manufacturers offered a size between 'regular' and 'large'. i'm 5'11 and my toes often hang off of regular pads but large pads don't fit in the the "2 person" tent with my partner :negative:

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

For one you could get a XL ridgerest or z-lite and cut it down. But if you must have an air pad, get a regular and one of the z-lite seat pads to stick under your feet

are you a side sleeper? i am and i imagine i wouldn't be able to live without an air pad but i've never actually tried sleeping on a foam pad. maybe i should?

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
Any recommendations on 4 season tents? My Copper Spur did not enjoy getting buried in snow last week. Hilleberg stuff looks interesting

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
my sleeping pad got a small cut in it, so i used nemo's 'in the field' patch and it worked great. wondering if i should now apply a larger patch with some adhesive on top of that or just replace the pad altogether. am i rolling the dice each time i go out with it that it's not going to eventually reopen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
Are there any devices out there that can transfer fuel between fuel canisters? I have a bunch of canisters at like 15-20%