Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Flatland Crusoe posted:

Yeah I’ve been going DIY public land backpack hunting for half a decade now out west. I’m just trying to find a more comfortable option than a Big Agnes Slater UL1 and Exo 3500 to live out of during the October and November seasons when we are moving around and hiking in 1-2 miles for a day hunts. Depending on what state and unit I draw we might backpack 7 miles into the wilderness, rent a cabin if available or live out of tents. It’s so dependent on the unit, season and if we are doing elk, mule deer or antelope and how the unit lays out.

There are so many traps I’m trying to avoid while trying to get a more comfortable camp. Requiring an enclosed trailer and an F250 just to get out there is chief among them. I’m just trying to be comfortable enough to not need a mid hunt hotel room when we aren’t in the hardcore backcountry. Lots of good/drawable units have roads every 2-4 miles and don’t reward being fix or just living in the backcountry.

So this is from a ways back but have you ever looked into Arctic Oven tents?

I used them fairly often with friends when I lived in Alaska, and just now bought their small Pipeline tent. With my Winnerwell stove and packaging and everything else its about 60 pounds and packs down small enough that I could check it on an airplane. I went this route because it seemed to split the difference between the huge canvas tents and the backpacker tents. Might still be to big for you but its at least another option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

what do you guys do when camping in those stove heated tents? try not to freeze? hunt polar bears?

In the past I used them mostly for base camp hunting trips for Moose, elk, etc. Now I plan on using mine mostly for a base camp for ski and snowshoe trips. They're nice to use to warm up a bit, dry out clothes, hang out and not be freezing while cooking, reading, playing cards, etc.

In my case a log properly cut will last only about an hour. So you've still got to have a warm enough bag for whatever your night time temps will be unless you want to wake up every hour to load more wood in.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

For those of you that car camp, what are the things you bring for comfort or to make it more fun?

My big car camping luxuries are my Exped Megamat that is super comfy, big old camping chairs, and a large old REI Kingdome tent I can stand up in, and a two burner propane stove. Can still pack the rest of the gear in some rubbermaids so its just grab and go to the campsite. I still bring backpacking gear because we usually hike out of wherever we are camping at.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive owned a REI Quarterdome2 for 10+ years that was awesome and now a new Halfdome2. As long as you take care of them they'll last and they're great tents for the money.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've never understood camping cots, they seem so uncomfortable compared to sleeping pads. And if the weight doesnt bother you just get a camping hammock.

That said I'm jealous your dog will sleep with you like that. My dog is restless all through the night unless I pack her kennel to sleep in.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

We have a dedicated hammock thread here now!

I'll second anything by Warbonnet. I have a El Dorado and a Blackbird XLC both with integrated bug nets and ridgelines. Both are incredibly comfortable. They come up for sale every once in a while at /r/geartrade. I think I paid about $100-150 for mine.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

Edit: would a 50-55L pack be too small?

Totally depends on the rest of your gear. Thats my pack size and I can go roughly 5-6 days with all my food and gear in that size pack. If water isnt a concern and you dont have to bring a big bear canister you should be able to fit everything in that size pack.

What sort of tent, sleeping system, and stove setup would you be using out of curiosity?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

I believe my girlfriend has an REI half dome 2 person, which I guess brings up another point I need to consider. Hiking with two people that can share a tent means we can distribute things we don't need doubles of between packs.

Current sleeping bag is an old synthetic 35F bag which has been fine for the time of the year we camp. It's something like 2.5lb and 11L compressed.

Stove will just be a MSR pocket rocket and fuel.

Talking this through, I feel like a lot of our stuff isn't super heavy, but isn't the most streamlined, so maybe a 60L pack and trying to pack as minimal as possible might be best.

My wife and I use the same tent when we backpack together. Usually she'll take the poles and stakes and I take the tent body and fly, it ends up being about 2.5 pounds a piece. That sleeping bag sounds about average, should be totally fine. I used an old North Face 35 cats meow bag for close to a decade that was around that size and weight.

Between two people you only need one stove and one filter, so that'll save some weight and bulk as well.

The biggest thing for you will be smartly packing your food. Making sure you dont bring a ton extra, that you bring calorie dense small foods, and you dont do stupid but delicious things like packing a whole jar of peanut butter or nutella or something.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Save yourself the money and just get a GSI infinity mug. They are about .5 - 1 ounce lighter than the double wall titanium mugs, and in my opinion, do a better job insulating. They also hold more.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Poncho tarps are basically what you're describing.

SixMoonDesigns Gatewood Cape is the most common out there. I myself prefer ponchos but have never used a ponch tarp. Lots of people really like them though and use them as shelters regularly.

https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/products/gatewood-cape

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

:homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew:

Osprey Atmos 65 and an Alps Mountaineering sleeping pad and bag. Even after my discount, I spent way more than I should have. :negative: New gear day is so much fun though.

New gear day is always fun!

You'll be happy with the pack and the pad I am sure. If you're ever looking for cheap used gear check out reddit gear trade and this site - https://lwhiker.com/used-gear-search/recent (SA now also has a gear swap thread!). I've picked up a lot of stuff at good prices that way.

Speaking of gear, I'd like to present my last winter project:

And the before picture:

I used it on a really ill fated winter trip that got done to -20F and the stove was not up to snuff. Tore it all down and rebuilt it basically and now its a great white gas winter stove!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Pfft, you ground dwellers and your sleeping pads. Hammock supremacy!

Though for winter camping I am a pad user. Usually double up a foam Zlite to put under my Exped Downmat. Thatll get me to -20F easy.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Those cheap hammocks are OK for an introduction, but typically they are on the short end.

If you find them comfortable and think you'd like to hammock camp spend more money on a regular camping hammock. Doesnt have to be a ton, and you can find used ones out there for pretty cheap too. A full size hammock with bug net and a good suspension will make a big difference in your comfort and ease of setup.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

The tent was Tarptent Scarp 2. It is waterproof (water has never leaked through), 30D silnylon with advertised 3000mm hydrostatic head. I just don't understand how it can get so wet even when it's not raining. It's like a dish rag in humid conditions and I hate it. I want a tent which I can dry and which hopefully stays dry, doesn't absorb so much water... most of the water was on the fly and fly weight is around 950g. So the fly's weight incrased by like 30-50% just thanks to water. And such a wet tent drew in all kinds of garbage from everywhere.

I was most pissed off because other tents I saw (no idea what material they were made of, but not DCF at least) were so much drier.

I ended up sleeping in "laavu"'s (lean-to shelters) instead because the wood was dry :v: We'll see how the Trekkertent Stealth in 20D silpoly of dubious quality works. I hope they use decent enough materials, at least they have been around for a long time.

Finland is full of bogs, rivers, lakes, streams, generally quite flat country so it's usually quite humid even when it's not raining.

I think TarpTents are all single wall tents, they will definitely suck in high humidity environments. You're probably experiencing condensation buildup in the tent as it slowly soaks up and absorbs some water.

I live in a similar environment in Minnesota, lots of lakes, bogs, etc. I would never go with a single wall tent, youre just asking for trouble in my experience. Get yourself a hammock setup or a nice double wall tent.

Also if I recall correctly Silnylon will absorb more water and stretch more than something like Silpoly. Try looking for a tent made out of Silpoly if you can. I dont think they are as common but they are still out there.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I think I pay around $6-7 bucks for 32 ounces of denatured alcohol just so I can deal with smaller containers. You can go big and get it cheap. I love my little MiniBullDesigns ElitePro alcohol stove. Perfect for solo trips.

Also if you do want to take a butane canister stove to lower temps google around for how to setup a copper ferring strip from the canister to the burner. Basically when lit the stove helps warm the fuel. It definitely helps extend a butane stove out a little further into the season but I still wouldnt use it much past 20F.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I hike with this monocular:
https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-Solo-Monocular-8x25/dp/B002OD7Z36
Its good for general browsing and watching wildlife. Nothing to write home about but it does the job and is really lightweight.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

This is the only thing I can think of that might help:
https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/c6/RollerPack

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Does anyone have a lead on a decent, MODERN loving emergency radio? I have changed over to entirely USB-C things in my daily kit, why is it so loving hard to find an emergency radio that doesn't still use Micro or Mini USB to recharge?

What do you mean by emergency radio? Just like a NOAA weather AM/FM radio or are you looking for a small 2-meter band handheld ham radio?

If you just need a weather radio I have something like this - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EUG3II that has a hand crank and solar charger that actually work pretty well.

If you need a real handheld check out the ham radio thread and expect to spend more money.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Check out Arrowhead Equipment for cheap good Apex synthetic underquilts. I have two and have been pleased with both.

The only big manufacturer I can think of making underquilts if you need one fast is Eno.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Mine from Arrowhead are 3/4 length, which I find great for spring/summer/fall use. If the temps will be a bit colder I'll pair it with a cheap foot pad from Zlite. Otherwise in winter go full length.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

I think once you get beyond a certain fill power (800?) weight to warmth is pretty much the same. I know my quilts are heavier because I hafta buy the extra long Sasquatch size, and I like to get overfilled when I can since I’m a cold sleeper. Could also be more trim around the shoulders.

I always thought it was past 800 you just get diminishing returns?

Like if you have 2 identical bags, and one is 800 fill and the other is 900, the 900 filled bag will be lighter but not by more than a few ounces while costing significantly more. However if you look at an 800 fill bag vs a 650 fill, the 800 fill bag will be quite lighter by up to or over a pound. Something like that.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive been eyeballing a Wookie underquilt for a while now. Interesting to hear your twos experiences with them.

I’m still using an Arrowhead Equipment 3/4 length 20F quilt. I’d say the temperature is accurate but I do sometimes experience that shifting where it’ll go over my shoulder or not cover my feet or something. Usually with a bit of shifting I get things back in place and comfortable. The biggest thing I’ve done to keep warm with that UQ at 20F temps is to bring some down booties with me. Ive got some GooseFeetGear down booties I’ll sleep with and they’re heavenly.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

They have become very hard to find. Store owner I spoke with said it was a combination of supply issues from China, and increased demand as more people were going outdoors camping this summer in lieu of other trips/vacations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Having used one/stayed in one once, I'd say they arent worth it.

Its basically a REALLY expensive tent. And not all that noteworthy of a tent. Just accept that no matter if the tent is on the roof of your car or carried in it you're car camping.

Go get a nice car camping tent like an REI KINGDOME. They're huge, frequently on discount, and great for the price. Then use the rest of your savings to buy a car topper and stuff that sucker with full size double sleeping pads and bags. Then use the rest of your savings to buy a big Primus/Coleman/Whatever 2 burner stove. With the savings go buy 2 big camping chairs. Now with whatever is left go buy beer and gas and enjoy your trip.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 2, 2020

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

In my opinion its worth getting bags in 20 degree increments. I myself have a -10F, a 20F, a 40F, and a cheap Amazon synthetic blanket that cost me $20. The big thing to remember is that the listed degree ratings on bags are almost always the survival rating, not the comfort rating.

Before I paid a ton of money for my -10F bag I would bring my 20F and 40F and double them up, occasionally bringing my cheap blanket as well. That plus two sleeping pads on the ground got me down to -20F at times. But I am looking forward to not having to lug that much around this winter camping season. The bulk more than anything became cumbersome.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah for my nice winter bag I use a liner as well. Less for warmth more for keeping my oily gross body away from the bag fabric.

If anyone here is interested in winter camping and looking for a good way to keep your head warm sleeping at night I would highly recommend the Timmermade Waterbear hood. I use it winter camping and its wonderful. Keeps my head warm sleeping and I wake up without a super sore throat from breathing in all that cold dry air. I also think it helps a bit with condensation. I havent gotten a chance to use it with my new winter bag by him but am really looking forward to it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

feelix posted:

I'm going car camping in the woods and I'm planning to be comfy as hell, so I'm gonna buy a queen size air mattress and a tent. This is tomorrow so I'm pretty much limited to stopping at one of the Bass Pro Shops on the way and see what they have. Any pitfalls to avoid? Planning to spend up to ~100 on the tent. I've been camping before so I know roughly what's up but I've never owned a tent before. I own this tarp, it will work as long as the footprint of the tent is smaller than the tarp, correct? (I know that the tarp shouldn't extend beyond the tent, I'll fold it over to fit).

e: Actually looks like something like this would fit my needs perfectly?

For occasional car camping something like you linked ought to be OK. If you have time I'd seam seal all the outside edges, but especially the seams on the top under the little rain fly and the bottom of the tent. Make sure you do a good job pitching it, guy it out for additional stability as these dont have a ton of room for error in storms.

Keep in mind that an uninsulated air mattress, while better than just being on the ground, wont do a whole lot to keep you warm. If you can try and pick up some foam insulated sleeping pads that you can at least lay flat under your air mattress.

Have a good trip!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Does anyone have any recommendations on Winter hiking boots? Specifically lightweight, waterproof winter style boots? I already have Mukluks for deep winter dry use, and Bunny Boots for deep winter wet use or just sitting around.

What I'd like are boots that are good down to about 10F or so that I dont have to worry about getting wetted out in slush/mud when its just below freezing.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I ended up getting some Vasque Snowburban II boots cheap at $75. I took out the laces and re did the lacing pattern and now they seem like they'll be great. Only walked a few miles in them so far though so hard to say. Very stiff but should do the trick.

For people looking for super warm boots in dry conditions, check out Steger Mukluks. I love my pair so much, I wear them any chance I get. Took them out on several long snowshoe trips last winter, getting down to -20F and they kept my feet incredibly warm while not being bulky. You just cant wear them when it gets slushy out.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Korwen posted:

I have a question about tent "repair" or seam sealing, re-sealing, I don't know exactly.

I have an old (10 years or so) REI Quarter Dome T2 I really like, but when I took it out to stand it up and clean it up I noticed the seams on the rainfly and inside the tub of the tent are flaking and some kind of substance is rubbing off. I am guessing this is the original seam sealant tape?

I had that same tent! Fixed it up and gave it away to a friend that works with a group getting minorities into camping and hiking. Loved that tent.

I did basically what you described. I cleaned the seams first with some rubbing alcohol, let things dry, then used seam sealer and went over the seams again. I used it once post fix and didnt notice any ill effects, but it was a dry day so hard to say for sure.

Based on my experience I think if you didnt care about how it looked to much you could probably just seam seal right over everything and it'd be fine but hard for me to say conclusively.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm looking for a sleeping bag to use to sleep in my car in close to zero degree temperatures. Weight and bulk isn't an issue since I'll never be hiking with it.

What do you guys recommend?

If weight isnt a concern and you just want a warm, cheap, durable bag look at a Wiggys bag. They pop up on eBay all of the time for pretty cheap.

The owner of Wiggys is a nutcase, their "superiority" is WAY overblown by bushcrafters and mil-surplus fans, but a car bag is the perfect use case for a Wiggy bag. I owned a 20F that was incredibly warm down to its temperature. I ended up giving it away since it was to big for backpacking but it wouldve been a great car bag.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

ROFLburger posted:

are you a side sleeper? i am and i imagine i wouldn't be able to live without an air pad but i've never actually tried sleeping on a foam pad. maybe i should?

You never know until you try!

I took just an old Zlite on a multiday trip to Colorado and while it kept me warm enough I was not very comfortable using just that. In fact I had some bruising on my hips and shoulders from sleeping on just it, was very odd. I have a nice Thermarest blow up/foam hybrid pad but its such a pain to get in its stuff sack I end up not using it enough.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

testifeye posted:

Speaking of sleeping gear, I switched to a quilt this past summer season and it was a revolution. I can move so much better at night while staying warm. With the exception of winter conditions, no more mummy bags for me!

I am counting down the days until my new Warbonnet Diamondback quilt arrives! Its a 20F and I thought it'd be to cold to use this season but are temps are about 20F above normal so I may get the chance.

For anyone on the fence about quilts, check out some of the Sierra Designs Nitro quilts. I have their older 2015 model that has the little hood and hand pockets that I picked up cheap at an REI garage sale and I love the thing for summer trips.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I totally have. I used my 20F Cats Meow bag that way for years until I had money to actually buy a quilt. Really its just weight savings.

I've always had good luck with La Sportiva trail runners for hiking shoes, though I do no running so I cant say how good they are for their intended purpose.

Are you looking to improve tent/bag for just general hiking and camping or are you planning for some long distance trails?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Verman posted:

No specific trips in particular, I live in Seattle so I'm able to get out pretty frequently. My usual trips are 3-5 days. I've had most of my gear for a while now, have put lots of miles on it and am starting to get tired of some of the quirks. Over the years I've upgraded certain pieces of gear to better quality stuff, less weight etc and these are sort of the outliers. I'm realizing these two pieces are what stick out.

Backpack: I have several backpacks (mostly different sizes) but my primary one is 8 years old and the hip belt straps loosen up. It doesn't compress loads well and its heavy. I'm pretty set on an Osprey Atmos 65. A little weighty but comfortable as hell, great organization. I love the other osprey packs I own. They are usually very feature rich and Ive never had a problem with their stuff. Great back panel, hip and shoulder straps. Compresses loads well. I'm fairly certain I'll go this route. Ive tried them on in the past but didn't want to pull the trigger due to price at the time. My old pack is driving me nuts enough that its going to be worth it. I might not save a lot of weight on this, maybe lose a pound from my current but the quality and comfort should increase.

Tent: My current tent is still my trusted REI Passage 2 from ... 8 years ago? I think it weighs 5.5 lbs with everything and I was starting to see it as an opportunity to shed half the weight by going with a 1p tent or a very light 2p. I do like the space of a 2p but carrying something that only weighs 2lbs sounds nice. This isn't too high on my priority list and its going to be the most expensive but at some point maybe I'll upgrade. I'll keep my current as a roomier spare or for car camping. If I could lose 2-3 lbs that could be cool.

To shed even more weight, in summer I'll likely ditch my 15º down bag altogether and opt for a lighter down quilt which should be good for another 1-1.5lbs.

If you're in Seattle I wonder if hike enough in dry western conditions to get away with a single wall tent? I personally cant in the Midwest, between the humidity and the bugs, but you might be able to save some weight that way.

Personally I like freestanding tents, never really got the hang of trekking pole tents. I picked up a used REI QuarterDome 2 tent thats about 5 pounds. Its huge for one person but I'll still use it solo. Otherwise its a perfect tent for the wife and I together and relatively cheap.

I love Osprey Bags, but dont have any now after giving away my old one about 5 years ago. May want to check out ULA bags too. They seem to nail that sweet spot between ultralight and comfort. I've heard a ton of good things about them and when my Granite Gear bag finally dies I'll probably pick one up.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Lots of retailers are doing 20% off a single item sales right now, REI, MooseJaw, Backcountry, etc.

Picked up a lighter Nemo Fillio pillow, 4 ounces compared to 9 with the original model and a nice avalanche shovel for my winter trips.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Math You posted:

I could do with some tent reqs.

Light weight is always nice but I want something that's going to last.
Freestanding is a requirement. Hiking poles don't exactly lend themselves to canoeing.

Lots of good options out there for you! Even the REI Quarterdome 2 or 1 person will pack down small, weigh under 5 pounds and shouldnt cost you more than $250 if you buy during a sale. I had a Quarterdome 2 that I used solo for 10 years, loved that thing.

If you want to go on the heavier but bomber side of things theres always the old standard of the Eureka Timberline tents. My two person I use winter camping weighs like 6-7 pounds but its about as heavy duty as you get with a backpacking tent, theres a reason its the tent used by young dumb boy scouts year in year out.

If you want to go expensive/lighter lots of good options out there by Tarptent, MSR, Nemo, etc.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I still use my huge magnesium snowshoes from Sportsman Warehouse! Have also lucked out with some lobster mittens with wool liners, and some good wool blankets. Always interesting to browse their surplus section from time to time.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Heck yeah, I have a old fleece buff I use all the time.

It was my condensation bib hammock camping last week. Kept my down top quilt nice and dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Are there any reasonably priced options for a hot tent out there?

Quick answer is no. Like others have said look to upgrade your sleeping pad, or to go the cheap route get a zlite foam pad to use underneath your existing pad to get a bit more warmth.

I saved up a few years to get my hot tent - https://www.airframesalaska.com/Arctic-oven-PipelinO-p/t00733.htm
And have zero regrets!

I dont use it every time I go camping in the winter, mostly we just set it up at state parks or national forest campgrounds in the winter as a basecamp to ski and snowshoe out of.

I paired it with a Winnerwell stove after waiting about 18 months on a G-Stove that was constantly on backorder.

If you did want to go the super cheap route I have seen some people on other forums get by with a DIY ammo can stove, which can be bought as a kit for relatively cheap and paired with one of those cheapy nylon teepee tents you've seen. To make it a bit better people buy fiberglass stove jack squares that can sew into the tent to make it a bit safer.

Anyway hot tents are a fun item! So if you think you'll use it a while i'd say go for it.