Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MrMidnight posted:

Apparently there are trade offers for McHugh. I would be hesitant to pull the trigger on losing him given the history of Keuchel and McCullers.

on the other hand, with Cole in the rotation, if the right opportunity came up (for say, a quality LF option or some amazing prospect), I wouldn't be against it

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Edward Mass posted:

They finally figured out what they’re going to do with the Astrodome!

glad they're rennovating it

Did they ever figure out what to do with the big vacant lot that used to be Astroworld?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Edward Mass posted:

Goondolences. Still, going out on top is a nice way to go.

this is p much exactly what I was going to say. Sorry for your loss.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
that is bad rear end!

Also, so is this
https://twitter.com/astros/status/967103361760792581

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kirios posted:

Fisher will be fine - I still have faith in him as a long term LF option.

As a side note, that Harden crossover...god drat.

It's a shame when you see someone's career ended so abruptly like that on live tv. But I wish Wesley Johnson the best now that he has to move to Idaho and open a store selling Hummel figurines and doillies.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Agreed. I'll be shocked if he's not promoted early in the season

https://twitter.com/astros/status/978455722638893057

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Holy poo poo George Springer owns so loving much

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
A good way to start the season

Happy to have baseball back

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
dude, that sucks. Why can't you watch the Astros?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
That Altuve run getting called back was bullshit :colbert:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
True. But I hate the Rangers a lot

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Guys, this team is real good

ComposerGuy posted:

This just in: gently caress the Rangers

:yeah:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kirios posted:

I don't see how the Astros don't win the AL West this year.

I am extremely here for this

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
:siren: Attention remaining Astros fans - who else still wants an avatar? :siren:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kirios posted:

Correa inside the park home run!

Reddick Grand Slam!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah Marwin in particular

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Wax Dynasty posted:

I never got my Brad Peacock request from before.

I'll work on it tomorrow night :)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Ok avatar requests will be handled this week as I have time.

Unrelated note--Stassi came up big and is so far having a good season. How has this kid not gotten more playing time?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

spaced ninja posted:

If you can fit in one more I'd take Cole because god damned dude has been on fire.

yeah, I can probably do that.

My big challenge is that too many people asked for pitchers and there's only so many ways to draw them!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Wax Dynasty posted:

I never got my Brad Peacock request from before.

DONE!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

candide posted:

Korranus relinquished his claim on Beltran so I'll take him if you're still doing this

DONE!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
I think I've got a little more time tonight, so after Cole are there any other avatar requests? Korranus? No Safe Word? Posture Pal?

Not gonna lie, I'm slightly irritated now when I see non-Astros avs in the thread :getin:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

I'm far more worried about the bats at this point

I'm tempering my fears by reminding myself that last season we also started slow bats-wise and were 8-4 through our first 12 games with 55 runs scored (compared to 50 so far this season) and then only because of a pair of 10-run games against Oakland and Seattle. (and 48 runs allowed vs 29 this season)

So anyways I'm telling myself that we'll heat up when the weather does (for now)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Verlander is having a pretty good game, though.

Otoh its gonna be wasted as this team chases every single pitch and starts every AB down 0-2

Bring back Beltran

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
So our new jam is just stranding Runners on base huh

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Our starting pitching this year is so much better and it owns

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
:3:

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/987881145407885312

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sab0921 posted:

27-2 in a 3 game series. HR from the DH, Marwin hitting a couple of ground rule doubles, and the non-Fisher/Marisnick lineup is hitting very well. Oh, and our starting pitching is ridiculous.

Looking forward to the first real test of the season against the Angels to see if this team is for real or just beating up on lovely teams.

Good teams should beat up on lovely teams, though. Those are the games they're supposed to win

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
This thread's gonna be a rollercoaster all season huh

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Hey so I know we don't have the league's best record but I want to point out that as we near the end of April, the Astros are playing .643 baseball and have the league's best run differential, and are 4th in total runs scored and have the best pitching in the AL, with a combined ERA of 2.63 and an AL-leading 280 strikeouts.

What I'm saying is, it's OK to feel alright about the team so far this season

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
This got lost in the N/V thread for April so I'm gonna cross-/re-post it here.

Intruder posted:

It feels like the Astros have struggled this year so it's weird that they have the third best record in baseball. If the bats ever fully wake up, hoo boy

I'm not sure this is a real problem, nor that I'd say the team is "struggling." Through 29 games, the team has scored more runs than last year, and also has a significantly better run differential.

On the whole, there are probably two reasons you feel this way--the first is because several specific players have hit fewer dingers than last year--Altuve is only on pace for 11 HRs right now, but is batting .347 with an OPS above his career average. Springer on the other hand is on pace for 32 HRs, in-line with last year's 34 total and Correa's on pace for 22, in-line with last year's 24. Springer's doing slightly worse this year in OBP/OPS, while Correa is playing about as well as he did last season. Bregman's only on pace for 5 HRs (he hit 11 last year), but he's getting on base more.

And the second is because our SLG percentage is in-fact down compared to last season's full totals (though again, remember that we did not start white-hot)--.752 OPS so far this season vs .823 for all of last season. The flipside is that so far we've been grounding into double plays at a lower rate this season (0.72 per game so far vs. 0.86 last year) and our on-base percentage is pretty much unchanged (.340 this year vs .346 for all of last season).

Really I think it's going to boil down to what you think is/is not sustainable, both from last year and this year. It's pretty likely we'll see Altuve return to form as the season goes on, and I think we'll start seeing more dingers, but I don't think it's likely we're going to match last year's HR rate (1.47 vs. 1.1 so far this year). But again, most of that increased production happened later in the season, so there's still lots of time for us to catch up.

So yeah, I think Altuve will bust out of his slump, but I wouldn't say the team has struggled. and our starting pitching got way better--Verlander, Cole, and Morton have been lights-out (I suspect Keuchel will lower his ERA a bit, but we'll see). Try to be happy with the team being "just" one of the best in baseball :P

e: Also goddamn look at that

e2: Because I can't help myself, I'll also point out that this isn't a problem that is isolated to the Astros, who I maintain are still doing very well:
https://twitter.com/jareddiamond/status/990970089758437376

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 1, 2018

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

Their run differential is much better because the starting pitching had been amazing but they've been very feast or famine offensively

They've scored 2 or fewer runs ten times in just thirty games and 8 or more eight times

they're still ahead of last year in runs scored, though--that's the whole point. Yes, the pitching is better but also we aren't hurting for runs compared to this point last year, either.

Run differential is just a better predictor of team success/strength

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kirios posted:

I'm still not that worried - if we ever cross .500 or we aren't at least 10 games over .500 by the All Star game then I'll start to get nervous.

Also, Verlander was the greatest trade in Astros history.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
yeah but the world series

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
The upside is that Springer appears to just have a bruise and will be day-to-day

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah. By a significant amount

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
True. Gonna be a season-long fight to stay ahead of them

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Update: Verlander owns a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

fast cars loose anus posted:

Imagine if I went back to 2015 and told you that in 3 years the Astros would have the majors' best rotation and Keuchel would arguably be the worst part of it

e: arguably isn't even fair to McCullers after today's wet fart

I feel like I'd be angry at you for not opening with the fact that the team won a world series

oh hey top of the page: ASTROS ARE THE REIGNING WORLD CHAMPS BTW

• Locked thread