Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Hi AI

Until 14 inch and the Requium for a Jeep thread I'd mostly skipped over your corner of these forums. But that thread brought me here and you guys are all hilarious retards. 14 inch you're a god among men and I'd love to make some kind of reality show about you. Anyway to my point.

I've got a few years of auto mech training years ago but no body work at all. Long story short in a single day I was rear ended twice on the 101, then on Ventura a Semi-truck nearly tore off my front end. Naturally, none stopped. I have a 05 Hyundai Tiburon with 90k miles on it. Drives just fine but it needs new tires and I'm concerned about that unless this gets fixed:

Any time I hit a dip or something that wheel hits the top area up there, probably metal. So my question to you is this. What would it take to fix? From my limited pictures would this be worth paying money to fix? Can it be hammered out? I don't mind finding some junk parts for the hood and the bumper but that quarter panel looks pretty hosed to me. What about hacking something together with zipties?

Anyway pictures: https://imgur.com/gallery/AWUb7

Edit: I live in Los Angeles so if you're a body guy here or known one in the SFV area I'd be happy to toss you some cash to at least have a look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Hi, so I'm not a "body guy" in the way you mean exactly, but I have had lovely beaters get similar damage.

If you're just trying to get by for now, and not gently caress up the tire...jack up that corner, remove the wheel and peel back the inner fender. Looks like it's mostly detached anyhow and may be some of the noise you're hearing. Once you can see exactly how the fender is deformed, use a big loving hammer (BFH) to move it away from the tire and closer to its original shape. Then reattach the inner fender; will probably require zip ties or something similar. Same with that bumper cover that's flapping around.

Whether it's worth fixing properly, well that's an answer you'll have to sort out for yourself if the damage botheres you. If you can find a junkyard fender cheap, and the mounting points aren't boogered, maybe not so bad. If the mounting tabs are bent up..... :piss:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Cool thanks

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Alternatively, feel free to post such questions in either the "stupid questions megathread", or the chat thread that's always running, so that many posters can discuss it to death, and probably get into an argument about it.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

oh for sure, my bad.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I would just knock whatever's in the way out of the way with a hammer and then hit the local yards to find a Tiburon in the same year/model. car-part.com will probably help here but I would probably exclusively head to self-serves like Pick N Pull and save myself the money and aggravation of junkyard phone tag.

I think the inner fender (which is generally plastic on most cars) is a writeoff anyway. Probably not too big of a deal to reattach it with zipties for now.

Thankfully it's the front end so everything just bolts on/off up there. You should be able to replace the panels.

Same colour would be ideal, but it's often cheaper for small paint shops to do a hood/fender/bumper when it's off the car.

Get your alignment checked before you do anything. If the alignment is way out and they can't fix it without throwing new parts at the front end you may very well be at the point where this car no longer makes financial sense to repair.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Good to know, thanks. The alignment has seemed ok but I'll be sure to have it checked.

• Locked thread