Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
With the exception of the Weapons Squad/Command Stryker and the 2nd Squad of 2nd Platoon's 2nd Squad Stryker, your vehicles carry the following:

1x Javelin Weapon System
3x Javelin ATGMs
2x AT-4s
40x 46mm

20x 25mm ABHE
12x 25mm Thermal
3000+ x 7.62 and 5.56 rounds

The Command Stryker and 2nd Platoon's 2nd Squad Stryker have all of that, minus the Javelin equipment.

Every combat squad has night vision goggles for every man, and one set of binoculars on top of 2x AT-4s and plenty of ammunition.

2nd Platoon Squads use that 25mm ammo with their M25 CDTEs, and 2-2 uses 7.62 ammo with their rifles, and the MG teams as well use this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
Ahh, okay. Slight change of orders, take one AT-4, to be given to a rifleman, and leave the other for later.

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
Ok, did some experimenting since it was still a bit of a question if an infantry squad could bust down a wall without breach charges. The answer is no, but unless it's a graphical glitch of some kind it appears as if heavier calibers can sometimes pen through brick walls. Who knew? This may be a bit unreliable, for both obvious reasons and the fact that I didn't actually have a unit on the opposite side of the while while I ran the test. I knew you could pen wooden walls or the walls of buildings, but the thicker stone walls I thought were immune.

Infantry will not waste AT weapons on a wall, and unless you want to wait several minutes and expend all of your 40mm ammo for your infantry squads, you can't bust through without breach charges. Your Mk.19 Stryker totally can shoot them down, however, and vehicles with weapons heavier than a .50 Cal can too.

Strykers can apparently punch through the low brick walls (very slowly) but the tall brick wall is impossible, and this makes sense -- from what I've read about busting through walls like the Russians do, it's very... dangerous. You can throw treads, collapse buildings, and damage equipment including your gun or optics/defense systems. Not only that, but when you bust through a wall you have no idea what's on the other side, whereas the enemy knows exactly where you are and what you are. The professionals more often deploy HE rounds, and then drive through when the wall and everything in the immediate vicinity of that wall is dead. :eng101:

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
Warrants its own post, given the info provided.

I wasn't sure if it was clear, so here are all the hills on the map. It's not a heightmap, though if you wish I can provide more pictures of the hills themselves.

Also, I leave early Thursday morning for DreamHack. I should be able to squeeze an update or two while I'm there since I'll have my PC and internet access, but I'd like to try and process the first turn before I leave. Therefore, I want all orders in by tomorrow, April 25th, at 4 PM/1600 Central US Standard time.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
2nd Platoon, 2nd Squad orders

Map:

2nd Platoon, 2nd Squad is to start deployed inside their Stryker. The Stryker is to advance up to the edge of the woods following the Purple arrow using the Hunt command. On arriving at the edge of the woods, 2nd Squad is to [b]dismount[b/] Taking one Javelin and one At-4 from inside the Stryker. The squad is then to take up position along the treeline roughly following the squiggly Purple line.

That should be enough for Turn 1 right?

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
Wait, so are the russians overlooking the road set up on the circled area furthest to the west?

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011

Viking_Helmet posted:

Wait, so are the russians overlooking the road set up on the circled area furthest to the west?

Yes. And at OBJ Katy and just in front of that same hill along the road. They're oriented to face North along the road.

Nevermore214 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 25, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Nevermore214 posted:

Ok, did some experimenting since it was still a bit of a question if an infantry squad could bust down a wall without breach charges. The answer is no, but unless it's a graphical glitch of some kind it appears as if heavier calibers can sometimes pen through brick walls. Who knew? This may be a bit unreliable, for both obvious reasons and the fact that I didn't actually have a unit on the opposite side of the while while I ran the test. I knew you could pen wooden walls or the walls of buildings, but the thicker stone walls I thought were immune.

Infantry will not waste AT weapons on a wall, and unless you want to wait several minutes and expend all of your 40mm ammo for your infantry squads, you can't bust through without breach charges. Your Mk.19 Stryker totally can shoot them down, however, and vehicles with weapons heavier than a .50 Cal can too.

Then we'll cancel the breach. That squad will slip around the southern end of the building, instead to assault the roadblock by fire.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
First Platoon, Third Squad orders:

Squad starts mounted and [moves] to the treeline, then [acquires] a javelin + reload and [dismounts]. Squad then proceeds to [hunt] through the trees until they reach the edge of the forest.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
First Platoon, Weapons orders

For the first minute, I think we're sticking with HQ in their Mk. 19 Stryker. After that, we'll deploy our MMGs on the designated high ground.

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
A few people have yet to get their orders in. We're less than 5 hours from the deadline

In the case that some people are no shows, I'll default to the Platoon Lead's orders for the first 2 turns, while we divide up the commands to people who are present and people who want to sign up. People who went AWOL get moved to the reserves and marked as AWOL. If they want a command in the future they will need to post in the thread.

If this means some goons get more responsibility than would otherwise be normal, I'm cool with it if those goons are cool with it.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
First Platoon, Second Squad orders

Begin deployed inside Stryker. [Hunt] toward the trees keeping first squad on your left and third squad on your right. Dismount taking a Javelin, extra ammo, and binoculars with you and [hunt] around the southern edge of the hill, stopping when you reach the second stand of trees. Make every effort to remain concealed.

Barracuda, any changes now that we know there are hills? Should someone scout up to the top of the near one to get a better look at the Russians?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Second Platoon First Squad orders

Proceed on second squad's right flank, dismounting when they do. Take out all man-portable heavy weapons. Use hunt movements to proceed west toward the road.

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
Everyone has plugged in their orders, it would appear!

In the words of a much more ambitious LPer than I: :siren: Adjudication has begun! :siren:

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
So I'm mobile posting right now. When attempting to boot my PC it doesn't start. I believe it's the power supply, so I'll attempt to replace that. However, that'll take me until tomorrow. So you guys can change your orders. New deadline is 1600 CST April 26th now.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
Auspicious start!

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
Good old technical difficulties! Oh well, sounds like you've got it handled at least.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Best opening to a CM Goon game yet.

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
now Adjudication has begun! :siren: :siren:

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
Mission 1, Turn 1

Based off your orders, I arranged you like so. Your Strykers move out, with 5 second delays for the vehicles in the second "row" to prevent traffic jams.

1st Platoon, 2nd and 3rd Squads dismount at the locations as dictated by their sergeants. 2nd Squad splits to the left/East to move around the hill using the hunt command as ordered. 3rd Hunts into the woods, toward OBJ Katy. They acquire a Javelin and an extra ATGM rocket before dismounting.

2nd Platoon arrives at the edge of he woods, North-East of OBJ Katy as ordered, but do not have time to dismount before the end of the turn. They can see the walls of OBJ Katy, and have a clear view of the road.

HQ/Weapons Stryker and 1st Squad Stryker with teams mounted make their way around the hill, utilizing the Hunt command as ordered. 1st Squad has acquired an AT-4 and Javelin launcher with an extra ATGM missile as requested while moving.

Suddenly, as the HQ and 1st Squad Strykers round the hill to arrive at the dismount point, they stop short on the south side of the hill because they have spotted the highway Checkpoint, and the fortifications on the hill overlooking the checkpoint across the highway. Only a single MMG is visible at first, and a single infantry team in foxholes, but other foxhole positions can be seen.

Having sighted them first, and with no orders to hold fire, the HQ/Weapons Stryker unleashes on the MMG with its .50 Cal, stringing tracers over their heads and punching into the pavement.

1st Squad Stryker joins in with its own .50 Cal, stopping just like the HQ/Weapons Stryker due to the hunt command, together with the HQ, they spot a lone RPG Gunner poking his head out from cover. He is probably a part of a team in the highway ditch foxholes that was spotted by the drone before mission start.

After a pair of heavy machinegun bursts from both Strykers the MMG is pinned, the pair of russians trying their hardest to make themselves disappear.

This is the end state of Turn 1

Only 2nd and 3rd Squad of 1st Platoon are dismounted as of this moment.

I would say tomorrow at 4 PM for the next deadline, but since I'll be on the road and working at DreamHack (volunteering this year) I'm not sure when I'll get to my computer. So, instead, I'll say, Deadline April 27th, @10 PM Central US Standard Time, or 2200 hours.

Nevermore214 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 27, 2017

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
Whoops, we forgot to hold fire.

C'est la vie!

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
It looks like second platoon has a few outbuildings right in front of us, should we clear those?

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
Made an edit to the update post to show the next deadline.

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
Could be useful. HQ may want to consider hanging back a bit, until we clear CP Katy's AT assets, but do you want me to hold position with 1st, or dismount infantry and start advancing?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Rarghh!! All Gun all the time!! We didn't need "stealth" anyway. So they know we are here now. Will wait for further orders in case anything has changed I am thinking when we move our infantry up hey should use the hunt command yes?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

2nd Platoon, continue mission.

1st Platoon Infantry, continue mission. HQ dismount and continue on foot. Davin , please do the same.

1st Platoon Strykers, get in line abreast with the HQ Stryker and engage any Russians you see to your front. Be prepared to pop smoke and fall back if you see their BMPs.

Added Space posted:

It looks like second platoon has a few outbuildings right in front of us, should we clear those?

Viking_Helmet (3rd Squad), check those small outbuilding and secure them. Then, continue mission.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
First Platoon, Second Squad
Slow through the clearing until you reach the second stand of trees. Wait for the rest of the unit to form up. Stay concealed and hold fire. Stryker will stay put where it is.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
That will take forever for your guys. Smoke and assault maybe?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Monkeytime posted:

First Platoon, Second Squad
Slow through the clearing until you reach the second stand of trees. Wait for the rest of the unit to form up. Stay concealed and hold fire. Stryker will stay put where it is.

Slow will leave you tired and crawling through the open. Run instead.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Bacarruda posted:

Slow will leave you tired and crawling through the open. Run instead.

In that case change slow to run.

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
Righto!

First Squad First Platoon Orders!

Infantry is to dismount Stryker and use run to push up to the second tree line with Monkeytime's squad, keeping aware of proper spacing if at all possible. Infantry is clear to engage any Russians they see, though they are instructed to use the Javelin ONLY for any Russian Armor, saving the AT-4.

First Squad Stryker is to take position left and parallel of HQ Stryker, with orders to continue suppressing the Russians if it has clear LOS. If enemy BMPs are spotted, pop smoke and prepare to pull back behind the hill.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Oh, neato, a new CMLP. Best of luck team, add one to the reserve list.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
2nd Platoon, 2nd Squad

Battle Map:

Orders:
If they haven't already the squad is to dismount and take one Javelin and reload and the AT-4. The Stryker is then to Hunt along the purple arrow, once the Stryker either reaches the end of its movement or it begins to engage any Russian contacts then the infantry are to Run along the path of the red arrow. At the beginning of the black arrow the infantry are to switch to the Hunt command.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
first platoon third squad

Hunt through the trees towards the out building, changing to assault when at the building itself.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
First Platoon Weapons

I can't really tell which unit is mine from the map, so I'm just going to say:

MG Teams, dismount and Quick to the position marked MG on this map. Once there, set up, Face towards a clear line of sight towards the road.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Second Platoon First Squad

Dismount and unload all man portable heavy weapons. Send the Stryker on hunt movement towards the road, but stop at least 5 meters from the road.

Infantry match movement on second squad's right flank.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 28, 2017

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
Just got out of the set-up for the convention. Have yet to set up my PC, but will do so in the morning and process the turn before my shift starts. Thanks for ya'lls patience.

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
hiatus until Monday/Tuesday because busy. Sorry. A lotta work

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
OK! Finally back home.

1st Platoon 2nd Squad you do know you're next to 3rd squad, opposite side of the hill, yes? That line you've drawn is not from your location given you just dismounted where you had ordered on the prior turn. And for 2nd Platoon, 2nd squad is the one on the left. 1st on the right.

Also, as a helpful hint since it occurred to me... has anyone considered popping Smoke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Nevermore214 posted:

OK! Finally back home.

1st Platoon 2nd Squad you do know you're next to 3rd squad, opposite side of the hill, yes? That line you've drawn is not from your location given you just dismounted where you had ordered on the prior turn. And for 2nd Platoon, 2nd squad is the one on the left. 1st on the right.

Also, as a helpful hint since it occurred to me... has anyone considered popping Smoke?

In the interests of me not drawing the same map with slight differences can you carry out the movement shown in my map for 2nd platoon, 2nd squad but going from the 2nd squad assets please.

• Locked thread