Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GuavaMoment posted:

Are you talking poo poo about MOO2 because we're about to have a problem. MOO2 is not in the slightest stripped down or simplified.

MOO3 through...

I think you can go ahead and have a problem, but I'm pretty sure he's talking about the recent game launched under the name "Master of Orion" which is basically MOO2 with updated graphics.

Also game breaking balance changes in patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

GuavaMoment posted:

Are you talking poo poo about MOO2 because we're about to have a problem. MOO2 is not in the slightest stripped down or simplified.

MOO3 through...

Pretty sure he's talking about the recent remake "Master of Orion"

[edit] Oops, didn't notice there was a new page that already had the same answer. :shobon:

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm counting... 48 stars? So the humans have grabbed something like 1/7th of the playing field already.

Yep, 48 stars in medium galaxy setting. I might not have been obvious enough about stating that.

Clarste posted:

That's the name of my old WoW character. I named him after MOO2, where it was just one of several default Klackon leader names. Is it one of several here too, or the only one?

Interesting. One of several -- there are I think three for each race by default.

General Revil posted:

Is it safe to assume that they got planet 6 and 7 the same year?

Yep. 6 would get them to the 1/8th threshold.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Pretty sure he's talking about the recent remake "Master of Orion"

[edit] Oops, didn't notice there was a new page that already had the same answer. :shobon:

Yeah, I was.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Episode II: 2322-2350

Having discovered that the Humans are trying to run away with the galaxy, the Klackons attempt to counter this ...

6-10 years faster than we'd have been able to do it with other races. Primodius sends 16M colonists, which takes it down to the midway point and will just about exactly get Endoria to the one-third sweet spot. That worked out almost perfectly.

We're about to wrap up research and get the next colony ship out; we can reach at least two new worlds assuming we get there first, and will need to scout beyond them afterwards. Time to start stretching our legs a little more. One thing's for sure; Earth isn't sitting this one out.

Ok this is bizarre. Playing the Klackons, and we're getting all the propulsion options! Apparently we forgot that we are supposed to suck at this, though the costs are still increased of course. I like the Nuclear Engines here because they are the cheapest and will help with both any combat ships we might want to design and also getting places quickly for scouting.

Kholdan has another colony ship to build, and research will be canceled temporarily while we get the Recons we need out there from Primodius. 8 more of them according to my calculations. That can just barely be handled in one year. It's mostly back to building up after that, but Primodius will put a bit into research, with everything now headed towards the waste-reduction option.

Immediately the new colonists spot a human scout nearby. Oh good, they are neighbors. Primodius will send 14M right away and more gradually ... we can't afford the full amount Escalon would like to take on.

Wow. Gaze upon that and be amazed. Size-90 Rich planet ... that is a great treasure. Whoever gets this system will have a big advantage, if they can keep it.

This was the last one we were sure we could reach, our 5th system. It did bring Rana(mid-sized Arid) within reach, and a just-finished Colonizer headed there next as we pushed further into the central and center-right of the galaxy.

We've got enough citizens to set up an Endoria to Primodius to Aquilae transport chain, which will help speed up things a bit. It was also time for a few more Recons to keep the scouting push going.

We're a long way from reaching this. Also had our first scout encounter, as the humans came buzzing around Aquilae. Go run over the rest of the galaxy fellas, we got here first.

Boo.

Very nice ... and also probably in range once we get control of Rana. Based on where I've seen the human scouts, I think Sol is probably that yellow star right in the middle, with nobody at the other one to the right shockingly. We may be able to make a good run down the side here and pick up a lot of territory. Fingers crossed.

You can also see around this point the horde of ships we have flying every which way, Recons and transports. Transit time becomes a much bigger issue the larger the map is, and it quickly gets exceedingly complex to scout things efficiently. Already made a couple minor errors in that.

I'm also transferring extra pop from Endoria, our Ultra Poor, to Primodius, because it can use them a heck of a lot better and is our research center, such as it is, for right now. They'll also be closer for shipping out to Rana and wherever else we go.

2339. We chase off our first Silicoid scout here(green). It's in range, but we'd need to get that Barren tech first and we haven't even started it yet.

This is a nice human colony. That's close to Vox, and they may well win the race there. This is the farthest to the right I've seen them, but it's got 20M pop already so they've been there for a bit. Looks like we'll be meeting them soon. I can feel the land grab just starting to wind down here.

Three scout encounters with humans the next year. One is here, another nice planet of theirs. The other confirms that Sol is that yellow star in the middle of the galaxy map. It has 18 missile bases, if you care to know.

Wow. Two good-sized fertile planets right next to each other. We're headed there at maximum speed with our next couple of colony ships.

Six now. If we get those two fertiles we'll have a decent base to operate from. IF.

And there we go, first contact. A lot sooner than last time, but I was expecting this. We may not be meeting anyone else for a long time ...

Could be a lot worse. They have only added two more planets in the last 19 years, for a total of nine. They also almost completely seal us off from the rest of the galaxy. Between us we basically control half of it, if not more. A great deal will depend on our relations. In terms of scouting, we've got a couple more green stars in the lower right, and a couple of 'nebula' stars in the upper middle left to visit. Everything in between there has an established boundary.

Interesting. I didn't expect us to be matching them in production. We're not as far behind as I anticipated being. No alliances or wars, they are Honorable Technologists -- meaning they'll react twice as strongly to any treaties being broken, won't attack as long as we are in their good graces, and will focus on research. We sign an immediate max trade deal, 125BC. It'll help them more than us, but we'll do far better with them as friends than enemies.

Best we can hope for here is probably delay the Silicoids a bit.

The humans or others will come here eventually. Also far too distant for us to try and defend for now.

2344, a couple years later: Kholdan is done building Colonizers for now. We've got a couple headed to the fertile planets and one more in case we find something else. It's time to seriously ramp up research. Excess population in being funneled to Rana now in preparation for those two being settled. Human scouts have been seen in the area ...

Took literally till the last possible year, 2346, to nab this. With all of the colonies we are building up, I think Industrial Tech 8 is the best option to get em moving faster. I was planning at splitting up research here, but I decided to rush another one. Here's why:

Controlled Barren Environment is often not worth a darn. Couldn't have cared less about it last game. Here though there is a potential windfall. We've got two in the upper-right, and the cursor here points at a third, Misha. That would also give us the range to probably get Reticuli, the green star above and to the left of it. Getting Barren right away could potentially land us up to four more planets, and at least two that nobody else can reach. That's worth a push.

Taking a big risk by doing this though. We have a chance to end up with a big empire, but one that won't be able to defend itself for a while. We're essentially banking on the goodwill of the Humans, and them staying honorable. I think it's a good bet -- but we're in trouble if it's not.

We've also spotted some Mrrshan ships, but haven't seen any colonies yet, them or the Silicoids.

Unbelievable. That lower right corner is really a treasure trove!

Well, we can't just ignore Tundra landings when Vulcan(Tundra, 90, Rich) is beckoning. We'll rush that as well; Barren only took a few years. Next one will be a lot longer, but we've got to go for it. Meanwhile, Kholdan will start cranking out colony ships again, heading for Misha first.

We're in at Vox, one of th4 fertiles! Starting to see a few human military ships in the area, so hopefully we can knock out the other two down here before they decide to interfere.

We probably don't have long now before the Council meets. There are some encouraging signs though with these new acquisitions midway through the opening century.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Oh, did I play a lot of this. Probably still have it around somewhere. Looks like you may be able to win this in the initial expansion if you can grab all those great planets.

Going back to the previous game, it wasn't the message written badly. The leader name Zygot has an extra space at the end. Always annoyed me, so I had to edit it out.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Wow, I've neer seen an earl ygame race this fast.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
The Klackons are monsters when you don't need to research a lot of propulsion for your early colonies. Their poor rating in propulsion can be a bear though - I recently finished a game where no one in the galaxy had any engines between speed 2 and speed 9, which made the game a huge slog. The game really opens up once your transports start moving, which is one reason why the klackons aren't super overpowered. I really like how the different races are balanced. The humans are an interesting example because they should end up being your average boring middle of the road humans, but their diplo advantage means that they are super scary if they're your opponent in the council vote. The Silicoids and Bulrathi both encourage an aggressive play style based on their respective traits; the Silicoids usually end up with these sprawling empires that can get scary if they're left alone, while an early Bulrathi invasion can be terrifying. The Darloks are probably the least interesting, because their trait doesn't create any kind of snowball. They are almost always a minor power unless they get a great start, but they tend to mix it up thanks to their diplo malus and their heavy focus on espionage. Even the Psilons aren't super broken, mainly because they don't have a major advantage in getting their empire off the ground. It's not unusual to see the Psilons get stuck on a small number of planets, which keeps their research advantage from being game breaking. The flavors and balancing of the races are remarkable achievements for such an old game.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
It's fascinating watching how complex this early game is, considering the programming and computational limitations. There's so much going on, and so many options! I'm really appreciating the write-ups as well.

one question: how could the humans afford to expand so fast without taking the economy? Would a player be able to expand just as fast, or is it the AI bonuses in effect?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I'm betting the Human AI's first colonized planet was an Ultra Rich and it snowballed from there with a lot of other solid planets in range to move on to.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

wedgekree posted:

Wow, I've neer seen an earl ygame race this fast.

Impossible with Klackons is as fast as it gets, but yeah you can't afford to screw around.

RedMagus posted:

It's fascinating watching how complex this early game is, considering the programming and computational limitations. There's so much going on, and so many options! I'm really appreciating the write-ups as well.

Thanks!

RedMagus posted:

how could the humans afford to expand so fast without taking the economy? Would a player be able to expand just as fast, or is it the AI bonuses in effect?

There's no way for a player to expand that fast, even if they found an ultra rich like was suggested. They start with an extra colony ship, and combine that with the bonuses they get and that's where the snowball comes from. They still have to start in a good position to blow up like that though -- decent worlds within range to get moving quickly.

@TheLoquid:

Very well put. The balance between making all races viable and having competing imbalances for replayability etc. is pretty much right on the nose, and one of my favorite aspects of the game.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 31, 2017

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Episode II: 2350-2363

Definitely falling further behind here in multiple areas and overall. A lot of that though is because the Humans aren't expanding anymore, while we still are -- their worlds are a lot more mature. So some of that we'll eventually gain back, esp. if we keep picking up territory.

Relations have degraded to 'neutral', and are just a bit above average. Hoping that bounces back soon as it should, but I think it's because we keep running into their scouts and chasing them away.

Population movements are balanced right now between getting people to all the new colonies and keeping Primodius well-populated, so that it can do research and push us towards Tundra landings. There's not enough to do both of those things, or even handle the rate of expansion as well as I'd like, so it's just a matter of doing what we can.

The next year, our first sign of trouble comes at Reticuli -- the Mrrshans send a cruiser they call a Leopard there, and it's armed. Also ...

That sucks. A LOT. 2351 will not be remembered as a good year in Klackon histories. This will bring a halt to our colony-ship production, at least temporarily, while we rebuild. That's exactly two-thirds of the industry; one hell of an earthquake. It'll take several years to get it back up and running close to where things were.

The second fertile planet. Along with Vox, it gives us a pair of excellent incubators for that whole corner. Everything above Rana has stopped sending colonists now: they wouldn't get down here in time to do any good. There's enough critical mass in the pipeline.

Last of the lower-right trio. Significant population has started to reach them. This also brings us to nine total colonies, the same number the humans have. We've got one more ship en route to Misha, the first barren, but no more for a while as Kholdan rebuilds.

Onward, although this will be the last one for a while. It will let us scout a bit further though.

Wasn't expecting this to come so early, though in retrospect I probably should have. Since we've only met the Humans, we'll get a look at the relative balance of power here. Humans and Bulrathis lead the way. A little surprising to see the bears doing that well.

One vote shy of a veto block for the Humans. They can be a real terror as a nominee, because other races will tend to side with them.

Looks the Humans have a decent lead as the most numerous species -- so far. Still, all it will take is one more vote for anything other than the Humans to prevent an election, so we can guarantee they aren't in power for now.

First look at the cats as well -- they side with Lasitus.

Looks like the rocks had a real bad start here.

We can just barely get away with voting for Lasitus. No point in endearing ourselves to Monch, when we haven't even met the Bulrathi. That ends things 13-5, one vote short of election.

Most importantly, at least in terms of population, the rankings look like this.

1. Humans.
2A. Bulrathi
2B. Klackons

Followed by everyone else. Once we build up, we should be able to at least take the #2 spot. It's shaping up as another three-way tussle ... and while I don't know that there is much we can do about it, we may find ourselves very hard pressed to keep everyone from eventually voting Lasitus. Getting expansion going again to get ourselves closer to a veto block is huge. We're only about halfway there right now, and some of our planets are starting to fill up. We may well have our hopes rest on getting veto power with the way the galaxy is shaping up.

This vote took place in 2357: we have 17 years till the next one. The humans love us now:

Ok, not love, but that's a big boost mostly from voting for them. They also have tech advances in almost all fields, including Fusion Bombs and Anti-Missile Rockets, and they have Alliances with the Bulrathi and the Mrrshan. Super. So when we do surpass the bears, they'll vote Human. If that had happened in this election, they'd have had enough votes to win.

I think we might be in trouble here. One bit of good news did strike though; Kholdan was ready to begin shipbuilding. Also, we're able to get some research out of Escalon, so Primodius can do so as well. We'll crank out the remaining colony ships as fast as humanly ... I mean, klackonly ... possible and see how far we can push our population up.

The next year we snagged up Tundra Colonization. Obviously getting a ship to Vulcan was priority #1 here. As for these choices, we know of only one small planet that is Toxic. It's definitely the terraforming given our need for the most population we can possibly get. It was also time to set some standard investment strategy:

The idea here is to invest heavily in Construction, our best area, and get an advantage there. Propulsion funding is reduced because we suck at that anyway. We'll try to trade for stuff there from time to time if we need to.

2359: we bump up to 275BC trade with teh Humans, more than doubling our current deal. I want to work my way towards an alliance with them if we can swing it. Unlikely they'd agree to a third ally right now, but you never know how the winds can change. Maybe we could even get them to break one of their current ones, if they like us enough.

That's interesting. Orion is in the corner where only we and the humans can reach it.

Our first new system in a while. We found an unarmed Bulrathi colony ship here, but they almost certainly aren't ready for radiated landings yet.

I cut it off here because there's still a fair amount of time and stuff happening to go. Expansion continues, and fairly unimpeded so far with the Humans acting as a fine 'galactic shield'.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let's hope the humans don't have a young child that's a combat and leadership prodigy and kills bug aliens by understanding them enough to love them, and then genocide them.

Speaking of which, can I put in a request for naming the Human emperor "Ender" once you move onto playing as them?

I think the medium galaxy shows off the limitations of the MoO UI. There's so much more micromanaging to do, and managing a swarm of scouts is a massive pain.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Think we'll get around to conquering Orion this time around? I imagine that's a lot harder to do on this difficulty with regards to sparing the fleet strength needed to knock down the Guardian.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

PurpleXVI posted:

Think we'll get around to conquering Orion this time around? I imagine that's a lot harder to do on this difficulty with regards to sparing the fleet strength needed to knock down the Guardian.

On Impossible, it has 10,000 HP and massive shields (along with a Lightning shield to prevent missile cheese).

So, yeah. By the time you can even dent the thing it's late game.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I've taken Orion, but I've never seen it matter. By the time I defeat it and get the planet up to speed, the game is effectively over.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

General Revil posted:

can I put in a request for naming the Human emperor "Ender" once you move onto playing as them?

Sure you can -- I think you just did. If I remember I will do that.

General Revil posted:

the medium galaxy shows off the limitations of the MoO UI. There's so much more micromanaging to do

This is nothing. Wait till we do Huge :P.

OAquinas posted:

By the time you can even dent the thing it's late game.

It's actually possible to do it with an obscene number of ships using a pretty early weapon(neutron pellet gun). But practically speaking yeah, you want to be at TL 30+ at least.

BurningStone posted:

I've never seen it matter. By the time I defeat it and get the planet up to speed, the game is effectively over.

Usually it is just the icing on the cake, but I've seen it matter in not-that-rare circumstances. Usually it's when trying to fight off the whole galaxy ore if it's a drawn-out, ultra-high-tech struggle.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thotimx posted:

This is nothing. Wait till we do Huge :P.

I believe you. On the small map, I was able to pick the game up, play a decade or two, set it down, and get back to it. I can't really do that on the medium map.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
*cough*

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822371

*cough*

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

PurpleXVI posted:

Think we'll get around to conquering Orion this time around?

All I'll say is that we will do it eventually. I play ahead somewhat, usually binging, so that I'll always have something to put up here every other day or so. I wouldn't want to spoil it ahead of time.

As far as Remnants of the Precursors goes, it does look pretty impressive, esp. the fact that someone would pay for professional assets for a game that's free.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Episode II: 2363-2375

It's 2364, and the Sakkra just sent an armed colony ship to Reticuli. So that ends our expansion in that direction. Not entirely unexpected.

Sauron is just such a lovely name, don't ya think?!? It's only their third colony, the other two being directly left of the nebulas. We don't have much to fear from them directly, and they have no alliances or wars. As a Pacifistic Expansionist, Sauron is looking for new territories but isn't willing to fight over them basically; Pacifists, as you might expect, will try to have peaceful relations even after being attacked.

The population here is grim for them. Also, we appear to be making up little ground if any on the Humans, and we're done transporting colonists for the moment. I was hoping it'd look a bit better of us by now.

Hand Lasers are in, so what next? Hyper-X Rockets for use in missile bases, which we'll be getting into before much longer.

What the ... This was definitely unexpected. So much for being pacifists. Only thing I can think of is they were put up to it by another race. If this becomes a ground war of attrition, their population growth will be a big problem. We're in no condition to fight. Wait and see what they do for the moment; a bit more into spying so we can see what their tech situation is. The only planet of ours they could likely reach is Misha(Barren). If they come there, then I'll worry about it.

This report comes in 2367. So we're ahead of somebody at least ... We've also finished colony-ship building for now, with several out there. Any planets not building up are diverting their resources between research and the planetary reserve. After we've got enough to fund increased growth on the new worlds, we'll switch to missile base construction and gradually work into a vaguely defensible state ... hopefully before it's too late. Really don't see anything out there that we want ships to try and defend at the moment. There's Vulcan, but I think only the humans can reach it right now and they are behaving honorably ... unlike the lizards.

Another mid-level barren, in the upper right where nobody can reach it. Getting starter colonists there is exceedingly simple; ultra-poor Endoria is close by. We also get the Sakkra tech report and it is not inspiring. They've got battle computers and ECM jammers, duralloy armor, but no new weapons and I have no idea how their production is so close to ours.

We've got Class II shielding now. We'll go with the personal one this time, to get to the next tier faster. I also don't think we'll be in ship combat anytime soon -- but if someone invades on the ground, those will help.

A full dozen now, and this of course is the big, rich one. If we manage to hang onto it, this will be a huge center of industry.

GNN even takes a moment to celebrate our success. Kakata, another barren on the far right map edge, follows a year later. I decide it's time to bump up trade with the Humans(275 to 475BC), and we also sign a Non-Aggression Pact. They are allies only with the Silicoids at the moment, which is a good sign. And the Sakkra have done not a darned thing, even though we are technically at war and they won't talk to us. It's looking a little better for the bugs these days, with only a few years until the Council meets again.

We've got the Deep Space Scanner, which will give us a little more early warning if the Eye of Sauron moves. Here I can't turn down Robotic Controls III. The Humans have had it for quite some time. The Sakkra are willing to speak ... but they turn down our peace proposal. Don't know what got a bee in their bonnet. They say that we are 'a people of much wind and little action. We tire of your prattle.'

We tire of Sauron's pretension, but there's nothing to do about it at the moment.

This is our 14th, and the last we can grab at the moment. All that's left really are the two at the top, and we are still short of the range to get there.

This took a lot longer than I wanted it to: only the most recent set of planets have a lot of factory-building left. It'll still help though. Next up is another step down the Reduced Industrial Waste path(60%). Still spending too much there and Planetology has been ... uncooperative so far.

And here we go: gotta survive this vote. The pool has expanded by a full third: a veto share is up to 10 now. Figures that Sauron goes with the not-Klackons, as we are now the other nominee along with Lasitus.

They're up to 9: I figure we have about six or seven. We definitely will need someone to at least abstain here. Please. The Bulrathi don't oblige. drat then and the cave they crawled out of.

Crapola. That ends it, because there's no question who the rocks are going to vote for; they're allies. Until they abstain with their single vote, which doesn't really matter, since Lasitus already has enough.

It doesn't matter what we do. Doubled our vote count, but it wasn't enough. So naturally I vote for myself, because screw those high and mighty humans!!

Go find yourself a nice black hole to visit, kay? After accepting the ruling, the following occurs ...

:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFdLShkDM0k
:siren:

I'll show not accepting the ruling another time. And there will be another time, of that you can be certain. The annoying thing about this is that I probably would have had a veto bloc by the next Council vote, and with 14 planets(and quite possibly two more later) enough of a territorial edge to be almost decisive in the long-term. This is a great example of how humans can be a dangerous enemy if they get off to a fast start. After the first 20 years they did basically nothing but suck up to everyone, and it won them the game. And what if we didn't get hit with that earthquake? I don't think it would have been enough, but it certainly would have helped.

Well, that was certainly a short game. Looks like the Klackons will have to live on for at least one more try.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Christ. And this is why I'm glad games like Civ (and later 4X games) allowed you to disable certain victory conditions.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I was inspired to try this again, and I lost a game exactly the same way, except it was on the first vote. Oh well.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
We may have lost the game but think about how many bloody wars were avoided by that council vote. That will be a good galaxy to live in.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Was there anything you could have done to win, or you were just unlucky?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
One thing I note about MoO is that it feels like war is just... impractical, in a lot of ways, until a good bit in. There doesn't seem to be much of an option for a relatively early-game military rush, unless you get extremely lucky.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Gun Jam posted:

Unlucky, Could have invaded the humans maybe and tried to overcome their population if the humans hadn't invested well in ground troops.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if even a single shot was fired somewhere in this galaxy before the game ended...

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

drat, that's one of the major disadvantages of playing a high difficulty game with humans in there I suppose. Shame the lizards got a random stick up their bottom for whatever reason, though not sure if they might have voted humans anyway regardless...

Speaking of the Sakkra, especially the leader name Sauron... that's not the only direct LoTR reference in this series; The Darloks used to be called the Nazgul in a "prototype" version of MoO1, named Star Lords. Not too surprising it didn't stick. (As for why Sauron instead of Sauros... well, who knows)

Another thing I forgot to point out before, but the image of the ship for the "derelict spacecraft" event is one of the models used for the largest size starships in Star Lords. All the ships in that game were pre-rendered, and all empires had the same set to choose the appearance from, so it would have been relatively simple to make another render in the desired angle. Hooray for clever asset reuse! (I used to play Star Lords a bunch before getting a copy of MoO1 off of GoG)

Edit: Also looks like I forgot the Psilons being named Mentats in reference to Dune, too.

StarFyter fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 2, 2017

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but the AI assistant is too aggressive. It has scouts automatically patrol, even when I don't want them to, and even when I tell them to stay in orbit, they try to leave the turn after that. Also, planetary spending and vehicle under construction also gets changed every turn to whatever the AI wants.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Gun Jam posted:

I think unlucky. There were a few quite minor mistakes but nothing that would have changed the outcome. The quake hurt but as I mentioned I don't think I would have won without that either. Invading the humans was the only other option and I think that would have done more harm than good. I possibly could have won that way, but I think the chances were better the way things turned out. More likely I'd have gotten curbstomped and felt stupid about trying it.

PurpleXVI posted:

There doesn't seem to be much of an option for a relatively early-game military rush, unless you get extremely lucky.

This is largely true. There's a lot of playing catch-up in the early going. With the more military-focused races that we'll get to later the way you even things out is often by pushing the envelope earlier, whether it's by deploying more ships for use in border disputes or outright invading. I'll have to experiment when I get to that point because it's not really my playstyle, but you have to use what you have.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
So you just pack up all your colonies and just set off somewhere else? Somehow that seems....I dunno.

But they do say 'exiled' which is kinda even worse-the difference between 'free choice' and 'being driven forth'.

I've never understood MOO2, and MOO 1 I'm kinda even worse at. It's interesting.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
"exiled beyond the known galaxy" ~= "he's living on a farm upstate"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Bloodly posted:

I've never understood MOO2, and MOO 1 I'm kinda even worse at. It's interesting.

Yeah, for all the extra complexity(particularly in ship design), MoO2 feels a lot more approachable and forgiving than MoO1. But that may just be me.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, for all the extra complexity(particularly in ship design), MoO2 feels a lot more approachable and forgiving than MoO1. But that may just be me.

It's MUCH better documented and the UI is really good, so that the added complexity is just taken in stride.

Read: "Bulrathi: better ground fighters"
Interpret "Oh, they've probably just got some minor buff. NBD. Maybe send an extra 20-30%"
Actual: "By default their troops win 3:1 against you, and that requires you to be a full 2-3 ground tech levels above to negate"

I love MOO, it's a great game with a surprising depth, but explanation and documentation were NOT the devs strong suit.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Episode III: Opening

Species: Klackons
Galaxy Size: Large(70 stars)
Emperor: Kaxal

I swear there are often hard choices to make on where to colonize first. For the third straight game, we don't have any: this green star below us is the only one within three parsecs. Bizarre luck I'm having with that, but it is what it is.

Unfortunately that will not extend our range further into the galaxy. A couple things about large/huge maps: it's a lot harder to guess at where the AI homeworlds might be with all these yellow stars. There are still some 'dark space' gaps but a lot more clustering as well.

Our selection of rivals is almost the same as last time. No Humans to trouble us, but they've been replaced with the Psilons. That's not an improvement. Silicoids can be particularly troublesome in bigger galaxies too, because in general there's more room to stretch your legs before running into opposition.

Could be better, but pretty good. The initial build of needed Recons numbers seven this time. We're close to the edge of the galaxy which limits it. There are two possibilities for more colonies; a green and a yellow star to the left or right of Kulthos. Quite good odds of at least one being habitable: both could be. So we shouldn't need to worry about researching better range anytime soon.

Nice! One our first two scouts went here, and we are rewarded.

There are more useful things to get, but this will definitely give us a nice boost. Up to TL5 in Weapons without really doing anything. Kailis is 5 parsecs away, and we probably won't get to it until we extend range as there is a bit of a gap there.

Wow. This puts our homeworld to shame. 120M is the largest a planet can be without terraforming, and it also is better than the green star on the left in terms of pushing us away from that edge of the galaxy and extending our range. Pretty much doesn't matter what the other one is, this is where our next colony is going.

Between Vega and Kailis, this is a really fortunate start. Looking further ahead, the green star above and to the right of it would then be within range: that's not impressive at a size-40 steppe, but that's 2-3 more colonies without needing any research. Should make for a strong beginning.

How nice: the purple Psilons are neighbors. This is a fast first encounter -- it's only 2311! We chase away their scout and discover a fairly good arid planet. Also ...

It's raining artifacts!!

Nice. If we have to fight any early ship battles, this will be a big boost. The other planet near Kulthos, by the way, royally sucks. Dead, minimum size of 10M. So it looks like Vega, then Ajax, then research: I think everything else will still be four parsecs or more away.

Just like last game the first Colonizer is finished in 2320. Might be able to get it done a year earlier if the first colony was particularly low-population, but that seems to be pretty much the standard limit here. It's super-fast anyway. On to Vega, with Kulthos pumping out more Recons as needed.

It's 2324, and time to see our first tech pulls. Big bonus here as a result of getting that artifact battle computer: we can take Robotic Controls III as our first choice! Yes please.

Reduced Industrial Waste 80%, Class II Shields are the only options in their fields.

\

All three options here. Haven't found any Barren planets yet. The usual plan of knocking out the terraforming quickly and then coming back for the Improved Eco.

I almost always take Range 4 if given both choices, though there are rare cases where 5 is needed. This isn't one of those, they are at least a few more systems that we'll be able to get to with range 4.

And we can get to the next tier of Weapons right away as well. Hyper-X Rockets for missile bases is hard to pass up.

Vega is colonized and the new Colonizer built and bound for Ajax. Busy year. We'd like to get 40M to Vega right away, but don't have the people for that. The usual plan of keeping Kulthos at half-way full and shipping the rest there will have to suffice. That means 11M for now. Ajax will need some soon as well. Sort of a victim of our own success in expanding, as can often happen.

Those artifacts have given us a nice early boost.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Bloodly posted:

So you just pack up all your colonies and just set off somewhere else? Somehow that seems....I dunno.

But they do say 'exiled' which is kinda even worse-the difference between 'free choice' and 'being driven forth'.

They exile the leader, not the entire species.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Well, this definitely seems like a stronger start than last time.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Narsham posted:

They exile the leader, not the entire species.

Then that's quite a baggage train 'you've' got with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Bloodly posted:

Then that's quite a baggage train 'you've' got with you.

What do you expect a leader to take with them to another galaxy? A bindle and a hat? When Air Force One goes from one place to another, it doesn't carry all of America with it.