Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Thalantos posted:

Are you sure? I was playing a game a few weeks ago and the only technically habitable planet within reach of me at the beginning was Orion.

I quit the game and started a new one

Orion counts as a habitable planet for this check. This can destroy you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Wayne posted:

Do you have the original CD? The 1.0 mapscript was buggy (surprise surprise, right? :v: ) and the "at least 1 habitable in 3, no alien homeworlds closer than 7" rule wasn't fixed until 1.2. GOG should already be at 1.3, though, and that's what most people have. That being said, Orion is subject to some unique rules (I think it's actually generated first, as in a star is chosen to have Orion before rolling the probabilities for biomes and such) and there are mapscript bugs with saving and reloading autosaves (when you hit "Continue" from the main screen instead of Load Game) so you might've hit one of those.

You mean the original 3.5" disks, right? :colbert:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Xenocides posted:

Orion counts as a habitable planet for this check. This can destroy you.

As was discovered in one of the earlier rounds of this LP, and which I noted as happening long ago as to leave an impression.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

looking forward to the struggle toward a darlok win

and definitely looking forward to the break-the-game-over-your-knee-in-detail play-through

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

Thalantos posted:

Are you sure? I was playing a game a few weeks ago and the only technically habitable planet within reach of me at the beginning was Orion.

I quit the game and started a new one

As berryjon noted, this has happened here and you are correct. Orion is still habitable and counts for that. I direct your attention to Episode VI, beginning on page 12(I think I will finally get around to getting a proper table of contents in the OP, now the LP is almost over, sometime next week). I won the game! Which isn't to say you need to be as masochistic as me, but it's not necessarily over if that happens.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Narsham posted:

You mean the original 3.5" disks, right? :colbert:

Nope! :D

Man, floppy disks and editing your system files specifically to run DOS games, it feels like fiction now, heh.

Thotimx posted:

As berryjon noted, this has happened here and you are correct. Orion is still habitable and counts for that.

Are we mixing up Orion being a potential spawn within 3 parsecs (which it totally can and has), and being the only "habitable" option? Because I didn't think that was supposed to be possible anymore. I also went back through the thread and found that Human game, and you did actually have a habitable planet within 3 (Berel, 2 hostiles, and Orion). Not to say it can't happen, since like I mentioned there are bugs with savegames (MOO runs too many things through STARMAP, basically), but I don't think it's "supposed" to happen.

In any case, so that 90 minutes I spent re-reading the thread doesn't go entirely to waste, here's something for your future table of contents:

Psilon 1 - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817977#post471612706
Klackon 1 - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817977&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post472758876
Klackon 2 - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817977&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post473022501
Silicoid 1 - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817977&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post474975466
Silicoid 2 - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817977&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=10#post476485903
Human 1 - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817977&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=12#post477188092
Meklar 1 - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817977&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post479216209
Meklar 2 - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817977&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18#post480011928
Sakkra 1 - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817977&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=19#post480541182
Sakkra 2 - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817977&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=21#post480996443
Alkari 1 - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817977&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=27#post483177027
Alkari 2 - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817977&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=29#post483409027
Mrrshan 1 - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817977&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31#post484617886
Bulrathi 1 - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817977&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=33#post485539997
Bulrathi 2 - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817977&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=34#post485826557
Bulrathi 3 - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817977&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=35#post486443044

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Wayne posted:

Nope! :D

Man, floppy disks and editing your system files specifically to run DOS games, it feels like fiction now, heh.

Dear God, don't remind me of the trauma of loving around with *Mem files to make games work on a 486, and having boot disks with different, what was it... himem and exmem files? Just for different applications. I still have no idea how any of that voodoo garbage worked.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

Dear God, don't remind me of the trauma of loving around with *Mem files to make games work on a 486, and having boot disks with different, what was it... himem and exmem files? Just for different applications. I still have no idea how any of that voodoo garbage worked.

Long story short: the 286's ability to use higher memory was intentionally gimped to maintain compatibility with badly coded software that abused the limit in the 8086's memory addressing to cause wraparound. Later chips were also gimped to maintain backwards compatibility.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

PurpleXVI posted:

s'cool bro just run memmaker and make a boot disk so you don't load windows

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

You mean "use the interactive DOS Help program to learn how to make boot menus in config.sys/autoexec.bat"? (I may have had too much time on my hands as a kid.)

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Computer viking posted:

You mean "use the interactive DOS Help program to learn how to make boot menus in config.sys/autoexec.bat"? (I may have had too much time on my hands as a kid.)

Uh, the time I spent editing config.sys and autoexec.bat to free up enough memory to play games.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Well, I can't take a photo of my original disks because I've long since gotten rid of them. I do vividly recall having to go over to someone's house to use their AOL hours to download the 1.2 patch, which fit on a single 1.4 MB floppy and took about an hour to download. I think we'd switched to a better AOL plan at home by the time I needed to download the MoM 1.31 patch.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Well yeah, and you probably couldn't use them anymore even if you did have them because floppy drives are long gone. My dad had a ton of the classic Microprose and Sierra games on floppy but fortunately he was a pretty early adopter on CDs. You got me beat with the AOL thing, though; I was in high school in the late 90s, so the first game I patched was Master of Magic, downloading it from some Geocities site at the computer lab. Ahh, memories....

Xenocides posted:

config.sys and autoexec.bat

Ahh... memories.... :negative:

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Dong Quixote posted:

If you pull this off, you might just be the greatest of all time at MOO

Thanks -- I'm expecting a stiff challenge, but I wouldn't go quite that far. It's been done before.

Wayne posted:

Are we mixing up Orion being a potential spawn within 3 parsecs (which it totally can and has), and being the only "habitable" option?

Yeah, I definitely was; that's a useful difference.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Great game, Thot. I always have a hell of a time with the combat-focused species, since most wars are ultimately decided by logistics in 4x games, and falling behind early tends to mean you stay behind if you have to sink your resources into a defensive war.

Sounds like a fun game you are having. This is very much true as Wayne talked about at more length. Very much an Art of War thing: the victorious strategist only seeks battle when the victory has already been won(or something very close to that, I'm too lazy to look up the quote). Which is why the military races are the hardest to win with.

Wayne posted:

in MOO1, because it's such a simple game, the abundance or paucity of good planets in "your" turf can be the sole deciding factor in whether a game is a nightmare or a cakewalk, even on Impossible.

Yep. I just view this as a feature of a 4X-style game. If it's difficult enough to be challenging, and there are significant differences in starting situations, then those differences are going to be huge. You can try to make all starts similar, but IMO all that does is lower replay value(i.e. Stellaris, esp. at release).

Wayne posted:

To this day I've still played them the most and I'll go to bat for them being probably 7 out of 10 in the rankings instead of the 9 or worst conventional wisdom puts them at.

I've seen people claim anything from one of the best to worst for the Darloks. A certain number of these people just don't know what they're talking about -- but I do think they are among the more controversial races. I think a lot of it has to do with what settings and strategy people use. I'll just admit right now that I've never played them before, so I might screw it up even though I have a general idea of how I want to try to do it.

Xenocides posted:

Uh, the time I spent editing config.sys and autoexec.bat to free up enough memory to play games.

I too spent way too much time doing this. Often failing, because I was determined to play something too advanced for the computer I had.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Wayne posted:

Do you have the original CD? The 1.0 mapscript was buggy (surprise surprise, right? :v: ) and the "at least 1 habitable in 3, no alien homeworlds closer than 7" rule wasn't fixed until 1.2. GOG should already be at 1.3, though, and that's what most people have. That being said, Orion is subject to some unique rules (I think it's actually generated first, as in a star is chosen to have Orion before rolling the probabilities for biomes and such) and there are mapscript bugs with saving and reloading autosaves (when you hit "Continue" from the main screen instead of Load Game) so you might've hit one of those.

No CD, I bought it online a year or so ago off GOG or steam or some such I forget.

I do always use the continue button game, I wonder if that's it. Thanks!

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Thotimx posted:

As berryjon noted, this has happened here and you are correct. Orion is still habitable and counts for that. I direct your attention to Episode VI, beginning on page 12(I think I will finally get around to getting a proper table of contents in the OP, now the LP is almost over, sometime next week). I won the game! Which isn't to say you need to be as masochistic as me, but it's not necessarily over if that happens.

Yeah I seem to recall that!

And it depends upon how much of a challenge I'm looking for in a game. :) that one, I just wanted to blow off some steam smacking around the AI easily, so I just restarted.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Episode XVII: Opening

Emperor Gmork rules from the shadowy world of Fantasia.

That's ... a lot of stars. I'd forgotten how massive and dense these games are. Our goal will be to secure the upper-right. The yellow star being pointed out here, if it holds a homeworld, could be the biggest threat to that.

Pretty decent draw of rivals. Silicoids and Klackons are both very capable of being runaways, but no Psilons and the Humans aren't as much of a worry in the larger galaxies usually. Bulrathi and Alkari for a couple of military foes that probably won't be as relatively tough.

Three options here in range. I'd like to go for the white star directionally but they are typically hostile. We'll go for the yellow one, with scouts out to the other two.

We may have chosen ... poorly here.

This would have been the same.

Ok. There just wasn't anything any better. Obviously Kailis will be an early target, probably the next one we hit. Nine recons are needed, which isn't all that many actually for a huge galaxy.

Our first good find, and it's away from the rim. Four parsecs out though so we'd need to research to reach it.

Right next to Artemis. Getting that pair will be essential.

WOW. Radiated, but I want it. An ultra-rich that size is quite rare.

Pretty please have Radiated in our tree.

...... I don't believe what I'm looking at. Natural Terran Fertile. And it's in range, three parsecs past Endoria. We're going here first, ladies and gentlemen. If we can get it up fast enough, this could be a fantastic secondary colonizer-producing system early on. Gonna be excellent no matter what we do with it really.

Crap out in the middle of nowhere. It's like Rha barely cared enough to exist and join the orbit of this galaxy.

Another big ultra-rich, and this one's not even hostile!

Last one. Tao and Arietis are just ridiculous. They won't take us towards the middle, but they're so lucrative that frankly I don't care. I estimate we should be able to get those two and Kailis before researching more range.

The first Colonizer is begun in 2324. We can RELOC to Endoria, which is on the way to Tao. The race is on. Being a huge galaxy, we'll need a lot more systems than usual. 20-25 is a decent number to shoot for. Endoria will build a couple more Recons right away to be ready to push forward. That's vital to stay on top of with this many stars; pushing the scouting frontier back as the Colonizers expand our territory.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Okay, looking forward to how this will go wrong with such an excellent start.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Wow, that's an amazing starting collection of planets. Although capitalizing on them might make the whole "everyone unites against the creepy Darloks" problem even worse.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I haven't gotten the impression that MoO1 has the "you're too big so I hate you" AI pattern that's so prevalent in other 4x games. At least, if it's there it doesn't seem to show up until the late game.

Here's hoping nobody else has an even better start, I guess!

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I haven't gotten the impression that MoO1 has the "you're too big so I hate you" AI pattern that's so prevalent in other 4x games. At least, if it's there it doesn't seem to show up until the late game.

Here's hoping nobody else has an even better start, I guess!

It's there, it just has a higher threshold than most 4x games.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

loving 50m, ultra rich, MINIMAL? Jesus Mary Christ I don’t think I have ever seen a planet like that, EVER, and I have played this game a ton over the course of decades. It is one of my recurring obsessions that I will get bit by once every few years and I’ll just lose yet another week of my life to this amazing game. I’ve had this love affair going for something like 25 years.

I have seen 50m ultra rich. It’s not common, but it happens.

In my literal decades playing this game, I don’t think I have ever seen it spawn non hostile.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

Same here, at first I was amazed at Tao, 140M terran fertile is an amazing windfall by itself, but the 50M UR minimal just blows it out of the water, by already being a better shipbuilding system than Tao could ever be (and will max out quicker too), even without having a single terraforming tech, and it's just going to get all the more nuts as terraforming techs arrive, not to mention soil enrichment.

Hmm, I forget, but was pollution based on number of factories, or on production points done by factories? I'm guessing latter since otherwise Poor and UPoor couldn't do anything.

Let's just hope you don't end up facing off against the dastardly Humans in the council. I don't think any amount of lucky starts is going to help against being nominated alongside them, especially as Darloks.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Coolguye posted:

I have seen 50m ultra rich. It’s not common, but it happens.

60 (or maybe 65?) UR Tundra was the best I've personally seen. If you really want your mind blown, a guy on RB generated 1000 Huge maps to get statistics on what the odds are each star will get each type of planet (or none; purples often have nothing), and posted a pic of this:

Notes: "Which, of course, is also Fertile" :v:

As far as this game goes, yeah, this start means it's basically Thot's to lose... if he actually gets all these planets.* The big risk you have with the Darloks is contesting turf in the early game, and because AIs are already predisposed to not like you, skirmishes often lead to war, which can lead to you getting strangled in the crib before you can put those planets to work. The magic colony ships can also lead to a rival gobbling up a preposterous amount of land depending on how the RNG sends them out, and if someone with a great start goes after you, that can be game too. The next couple updates should tell the tale!

* Also, this being a Huge galaxy means there are more good planets than usual, and it's possible this is just a bountiful galaxy. Obviously any UR is a huge boon to the player especially if you abuse reserve spending on them, but they're still amazing for AIs too.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow. We're already at the Darlock run. That was a nice Bulrathi run. Looks like the Darlock run is going to be luckier than the Bulrathi runs (at least for now).

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

General Revil[/quote posted:

We're already at the Darlock run.

Yes, 'already', after a mere year and a half(almost) :P.

Coolguye posted:

loving 50m, ultra rich, MINIMAL? Jesus Mary Christ I don’t think I have ever seen a planet like that, EVER, and I have played this game a ton over the course of decades.

That one Wayne posted is of course just plain stupid. I have seen, once, an ultra-rich ocean, size 80, in a nebula. As luck would have it, it was some months back when I was just testing out difficulty-level stuff and it wasn't a serious game. Helped just a wee bit in the expansion phase though.

haven't gotten the impression that MoO1 has the "you're too big so I hate you" AI pattern that's so prevalent in other 4x games. At least, if it's there it doesn't seem to show up until the late game.

yeah it's definitely there. I've talked in a few games about needing to bribe races until I'm ready to go to war with them, and the reason that's necessary is the relations hit due to being too big. That's what all the 'we won't stand idly by while you take over the galaxy' rhetoric is about. Seems to kick in around 30% of the galaxy's planets being owned by the player, so a good rule of thumb is that if you're close to veto status in the Council, it's already a problem for you. At a certain point, the passive relation-boosters like trade, NAP, etc. won't be enough to keep them in a good mood and you either have to be bombing the snot out of their enemies, bribe them, or you'll eventually have to fight them yourself.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 11, 2018

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Episode XVII: 2324 -

It's quiet for a while as we get that first Colonizer out. Then in 2333 Endoria has reached enough factories for the half-full point that it will be maintaining, and so I divert enough production for our tech pull.

Wow, we get all three! The Darlok researcher is my favorite of them all. Multicolored, and really fits the 'truly and unmistakably evil' vibe of the race. This isn't your generic baddie, but a fully committed villain. Of course I go Deep Space Scanner here. For the others:

** Construction -- Improved Industrial Tech 9
** Force Fields -- Class II Deflectors
** Planetology -- Controlled Barren Environ/Improved Eco Restoration
** Propulsion -- Hydrogen Fuel Cells(Range 4)
** Weapons -- Hand Lasers/Hyper-V Rockets/Gatling Laser

This is all quite good. I go with Improved Eco instead of the barren landings because we haven't found any of those; only one Tundra among the hostile, non-Radiated class. So let's boost the early economy. Hydrogen is what I wanted for range, and I select Hand Lasers. Usually I'll go with the Rockets, but I'm just trying to advance things here, give us something to barter if we need to, and banking on the size of our playing field here to keep us safe a bit longer than usual.

I'll divide our meager early efforts between boosting the range and getting the better waste cleanup.

We have yet to see any enemy ships(2334), which is not surprising. The psychology of a Huge galaxy is different. We aren't going to get clues as to the disposition of the other races nearly as early on as we normally would. By the time we find out where they are, it may be too late to take decisive action. So all we can really do is look to our own development. Obviously this system will really help with that. Endoria can't send enough to get a planet this size going, but it will send what it can.

Unfortunately Arietis is still a 'short 4' and not a 'long 3', as I expected, parsecs away. So we'll need to shift gears a bit and crash that range research.

This completes the first 'wave' and gets us to four systems. In 2343, two years later than I wanted thanks to bad luck in prototyping, we got our new fuel cells. Inertial Stabilizer, always a premium bargaining chip, was next up and research efforts shift to Improved Eco Restoration.

Four more systems are now within scouting range.

Clearly Radiated Rich is the order of the day. Or to put it another way; 'He who researches Controlled Radiated Environ rules the galaxy'. And, if at all possible, gets it stolen by us :).

We may well be returning here in centuries to come. As it happens, Orion is strategically positioned to block a dark-space crossing. It's looking very much like our best avenue of expansion by far is going to be moving across the top of the galaxy to the left.

Our first Inferno I do believe.

Screwed up the screenshot, but we get Arietis(the 50M minimal ultra-rich) in 2347. We'll be sending population from Tao(just about up to half it's max right on cue) here. Once Arietis maxes out, which won't take long, it'll fund all the other growing worlds with transfers. Meanwhile I continue to trickle out Recons. We'll need them.

Huge, huge find. That line of stars just left of here, five of them starting with the white one in the nebula and going straight down, is vital to expanding in this our most promising direction. Gorra could be the linchpin ... but it's a long ways off.

Recons can now head across the dark space gap and see what's on the other side. Gorra is 7 parsecs distant ... but that red star at the bottom of the line I mentioned is just four now. If we can get a colony there, it would help tremendously.

I've got enough Recons to cover most of the systems we can reach, but I am starting to run out now. It's going to be an increasing struggle to get as many of them as we need where we need them, as well as moving population around, for a while here.

Diagonal movement from Arietis to the other corner of the galaxy is over 30 parsecs. That's a bit more than a hop, skip, and jump.

This ends our first 50 years. We began with a lot of positives, but things are starting to stall with dark-space gaps, the Guardian, and a band of hostile systems conspiring to make it difficult for us to expand further. This might be one of those times when extreme measures are necessary to break out again.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 14, 2018

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
This is actually tense, waiting for first contact and seeing how it's going to shape things.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Good luck with grabbing as many of the good system sas you can and bulding them up and getting reayd to expand.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

PurpleXVI posted:

This is actually tense, waiting for first contact and seeing how it's going to shape things.

I find that's one of the biggest differences with the huge size, not knowing how things will shake out until it's largely too late to do anything with that information.

wedgekree posted:

Good luck with grabbing as many of the good system sas you can and bulding them up and getting reayd to expand.

I was born reayd! - sez the guy who misspelled 'Let's Play'. Also …

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Thotimx posted:

I was born reayd! - sez the guy who misspelled 'Let's Play'. Also …

I thought you were born (at least on the forums) as Thotmix. Shows you what I know..

Said the person who had to retype his single sentence five times to get most of the typos out before giving up.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PurpleXVI posted:

Yes. It's so much quieter than the other games.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Episode XVII: 2350 -

A crucial point in the land-grab has been reached. We've got six systems with a 7th coming soon. It's nice to know that nobody has hit the first milestone yet, which is I think 13 in a huge galaxy. That means we're vaguely competitive on territory at least ... for now. Nobody's forgetting how much our rivals, esp. the Silicoids, can blow up once they start expanding. The cursor is pointing to a red star that is the key right now. Recons will arrive in two years, and we have three on the next Colonizer so I can afford to wait for them. If we get lucky and that's habitable system, we'll go there. If not, I need to go to a battleship-sized ship with reserve tanks; we've got two systems available for that but the green one just to the right of that line of stars we're trying to get to at the top of the galaxy is definitely the most important. Missing out on range 5, range 6, and nuclear engines is not particularly lovely in a huge galaxy.

Tao is on the rim, but ready to start flowing people towards the galactic centre. We've got enough headed to ultra-rich Artemis now, and with Tao's size and fertility 5-6 million colonists will depart it's surface annually. It won't be long until we don't have a population problem for new colonies in the forseeable future. The colonists will route to Kailis first, and then go wherever they are needed from there.

The main problem at the moment is that there's very little research coming in, but with the constant need for more Recons(28 right now and not enough yet) and the limited size of first-colony Endoria, there's nothing to be done about that until some of the others get industry built up.

Draconis, thy name is stepping-stone. This is excellent news, and will allow the expansion to continue with no massive fuel tanks required.

Making a beeline for that line of stars is looking more and more vital all the time. At least they are hospitable so far. It takes almost a decade to get to the closest ones from our homeworld on Fantasia, so travel time is really starting to become a bigger issue. It will get worse.

Here's a rare but annoying case where range really seems to be calculated weird. This yellow star is 7 parsecs out from Artemis, just within scouting range. The red star just below it? Not one, but two parsecs more; 9 away. Eight I could buy, but nine? Really??

We also scout Galos, another big terran fertile. Not as big as Tao, but still very nice.

I've never seen this many naturally fertile systems. This one though, has already been claimed by the Silicoid, our first encounter of any kind with another race. It is 2354, and continually we are pushed toward the top of the map.

Also Silicoid. A couple years later, one of their Morey-class destroyers shows up at Galos, the terran fertile in that upper band of planets. No colony ships yet, but you know they'll be coming. Whoever controls that area of space first will have a big advantage. It's vital to us getting enough territory to be competitive.

Yet another Silicoid system, and closer to our targets. That's a concern. It's got a bunch of rocks on it(60M) so they've been here for a while. We've got as many Recons in the pipeline now as I think are useful, so I yank funding from that project. We've reached critical mass on population, so most of those transfers stop as well.

Our first clue as to the location of the birdbrains. It was a lone fighter, Pelican class.

Yep. Blocked off here as well; that's four confirmed Silicoid systems. This one looks more recent. They're unlikely to be happy with us when we establish relations, what with all this flitting about their planets. Nowhere else for our Recons to go at the moment until we add to our empire and extend the reach.

In 2362, we arrive at Draconis with our Colonizer. And two Alkari Pelicans are there. That really sucks, because it leaves two other colonizers in limbo. We need Draconis as our link. Those birds better leave soon ... one year earlier and I wouldn't care.

A brief Klackon visit to Obaca didn't last long. The Alkari went to Helos, then left after a couple of years. That's the typical -- but they hung around Draconis longer, for whatever reason.

After we spent an unacceptable five years cooling our heels, held at bay by two freaking fighters, they finally decided to go do something else.

They're lucky we bother to acknowledge their existence. Aggressive Industrialists, already allied with the Alkari.

They have nine systems, we have eight. That's not too bad, although one gets the feeling they are in the early stages of blowing up. We sign a trade deal for 200 BC, and start investing significantly in a spy network before the ink on it is dry. I'm gambling that we won't get caught; the earlier we start the easier it will be to be successful in espionage. I'm going computing first to maintain as much of an edge as we can.

Unforunately for our colonization efforts, Gorra and Galos are still one parsec out of range. That means we can only go to Helos next ... and it will take six years to get there. We'd almost have it by now without the delay at Draconis, but now there's much more time for us to be delayed further or even have one of the others snatch it. There is good news elsewhere, as Arietis begins to fund reserve transfers to accelerate growth.

Welp, that didn't take long. One year to insert, one year to steal. I frame their ally as breaking up alliances would be nice, esp. if they catch us. Hopefully we'll be seeing this screen a lot. Our current report says they have 10 more things we can take. Let's get busy, shall we?

Long-awaited and much-needed in the early 70s. Some of our systems were approaching spending half on waste cleanup. Barren and Tundra landings are next up; we've got Tundra out there so I'll take that route. Seems best to me to continue crashing it with everything we've got available.

I'm clearly being trolled. This is literally the next thing that pops up after I click on the Tundra research selection. Meanwhile the Silicoids have caught a couple of our spies. I might have had a bit of beginner's luck.

They left it alone, and now our bridge to the top of the map is complete. Also a quality planet in it's own right.

2374: Unsurprisingly, the Silicoids take Primodious. A nice-sized barren like that is basically a jewel for them.

Yep. We end the quarter-century on this. It's not a bad thing so long as they don't end up with 40 systems or something. I often like a fairly big Silicoid empire to check the growth of the others, but they'll be a real threat if they get TOO big.

It's worth noting that I had 15 systems as the Silicoids at this point in my other try at Huge. And still lost, though the planets weren't nearly as good as the ones I have now(lots of small/poor ones).

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 15, 2018

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I forget, how competent are the Silicoids as diplomats? Aren't they close to being as disliked as the Darloks?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Man, that expansion period didn't last as long as I feel like it should have. Having the Silicoids as neighbors sucks. How many planets do you have in your backfield?

You have a [/b] tag trying to pull duty as a [/i] tag (where you mention the Silicoid ship class, Moray I think), so part of your post is erroneously italicized.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Man, that expansion period didn't last as long as I feel like it should have. Having the Silicoids as neighbors sucks. How many planets do you have in your backfield?

You have a [/b] tag trying to pull duty as a [/i] tag (where you mention the Silicoid ship class, Moray I think), so part of your post is erroneously italicized.

Italics are the correct way to handle ship names :colbert:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Cathode Raymond posted:

Italics are the correct way to handle ship names :colbert:

Clearly the ships should be named [/b] and [/i]

By the way, don’t Darlok ships get map stealth? Or is that moo2?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

I forget, how competent are the Silicoids as diplomats? Aren't they close to being as disliked as the Darloks?

thoroughly average. relaxed with klackons but default with everyone else (relaxed with humans, unease with darloks, neutral with everyone else).

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Yeah, the Silicoids are one of the more affable aliens in MOO1. It wasn't until 2 that Simtex decided to be mineralist and think silicon-based life is utterly unable to interact peacefully with us carbon units. (That's the new "Repulsive" trait, which basically switches off diplomacy, and of the stock races only Silicoids have it in MOO2.)

LordSloth posted:

By the way, don’t Darlok ships get map stealth? Or is that moo2?

Yep, also 2, and it doesn't work in player hands, because the AI plays with omniscient-mode turned on. But AI Darloks will definitely make use of it!

Man, that expansion period didn't last as long as I feel like it should have. Having the Silicoids as neighbors sucks.

Not just as neighbors, having Silicoids in the middle. The biggest benefit to Thot right now is if they don't have Nuclear Engines either, because the AI being capped at 4 colony ships at a time (free or not) is slower than if they could build them normally at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I think the reason the Silicoids have a bad rep when it comes to diplomacy is that they default Xenophobic, so their relations might start decent but in the hands of the AI they will tend to trend negative over time.

How many planets do you have in your backfield?

I don't really have a backfield -- the other races can still swing around to the top of the galaxy potentially. There's a handful in the upper-right, some of which I can't reach yet to scout, a couple Inferno, a Radiated, and a uninhabitable. Also, formatting fixed; thanks!