Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
This is a cool thread, will definitely be watching. I never got Super Pro at this game but I'm always glad to see a top-tier performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Are the Silicoids likely to deploy those Inertial Stabilizers they have? Because wouldn't that make your ship design miss even more?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Thotimx posted:

The environmental damage was significant; Arietis is down to 5M citizens with a max of 10: 17M were killed by the death spores.

How exactly does this work? Does it add a bunch of pollution to the planet you have to cleanup at whatever your tech rate is? Or does it actually decrease the max population and require re-terraforming?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Cythereal posted:

Eh. For all the good MOO did for the genre, it also introduced something I hate: ship designers, and it's nigh impossible to find a space 4X that doesn't have one.

I know. This is the second Master of Orion-related thread I've seen you complain about it in this week. You must have hated Mr. Potato head as a child.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

GuavaMoment posted:

Do some math to figure out how many bio drops are needed from this one ship to kill everyone on a planet. The answer is usually 'one'.

What's the math exactly? I don't know how bioweapons work in this weird old game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

GuavaMoment posted:

One unit of Death Spores, Doom Virus and Bio Terminators kill 1,2 and 3 population units respectively per attack. Bio Toxin Antidote and Universal Antidote reduce those numbers by 1 and 2 respectively. For example, to kill a 100 population planet you'll need 34 bio-terminators if they have no protection, 50 if they have the first bio-antidote, or 100 if they have universal antidote (which they almost always do). IIRC you can cram like 30-40 bio-terminators on a large ship at around this tech level, so you'd probably need 3 ships to kill this 100 population planet in one attack.

I think the developer intention was to have a modest number of bioweapons on a ship that were used many times in combat to slowly whittle down a population in advance of a ground combat fleet. My strategy just takes it to its logical conclusion. If the enemy fleet is powerful, you don't have the luxury of using multiple attacks during combat, it needs to be as much damage done as possible at once.

That's incredible. So I guess the anti-missile defenses are because you're guaranteed to eat at least one volley of planetary missiles (maybe more from defending ships) on your approach to the planet? Does the AI ever develop ships fast enough to close on you with beams during their one action?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Looks like you got hit by the Guava strategy. :negative: