Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Anyone who likes this game should keep track of this Java based remake:

https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com/

It's basically MoO+better graphics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dETHR6bejVs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

PurpleXVI posted:

Wait, so there's a diplomatic penalty for completely defeating another species?

The only kind of war in this game is war of extermination. You don't conquer other populations, you kill their every single last man, woman, and child equivalent and replace them with your own.

So yeah. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I hate the Sakkra with a burning passion since they'd get elected all the drat time in my games, no matter what I do.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
*cough*

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822371

*cough*

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Sounds a bit like Imperium Galactica to me, except it's more like "you start as the commander of a small fleet, and get promoted until you become the supreme commander of humanity"

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Did you research the hand lasers?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Me:Darloks = Coolguy:Elves

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm not sure if the combat transports work quite as they're described. I've seen whole transport fleets go poof on strongly defended enemy worlds despite the tech.

Which is a shame, because it would give the Bulrathi a genuine, terrifying "late bloomer" potential otherwise.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

GuavaMoment posted:

If a planet is that heavily defended, what good will capturing it even do? You'll just get bombed into oblivion by the orbiting fleet anyway.

A) Tech theft
B) You want to take on the enemy fleet without them having the support of 50 shielded planetary missile batteries, and this would be one way to do that.
C) That's a lot of enemy factories and planetary defences that go boom in addition to the population that died.
D) The planet might be important to the enemy for strategic reasons and they'll have to spend the time and resources needed to recapture/recolonize it.

Alas...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
This is actually how I mostly lose this game - I become the nominee at the worst possible moment and welp. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

BurningStone posted:

Colonies that far from their main planets usually have very low population this early. You have a shot at rushing them.
________________/

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

PurpleXVI posted:

There isn't much commentary I can add, but I'm hype for every update.

Yeah.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Think what you want of it, Dread Arengee must always propitiated.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

kaosdrachen posted:

Plus you can play in a galaxy that doesn't have any Darloks in it. Always a good thing.

Yup.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Having a designated punching bag can be useful for currying favor with the other races. And as long as they're kept small, it hardly matters if they steal techs. The worst thing they can do with them is trade them to other, more relevant races, which they'll have trouble doing if everyone hates them.

No. The worst thing they can do is steal techs from your trading partners and frame you for it, leading to a war.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
drat. That sucks.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Emperor Est Vidi P founding its empire on the planet Terminus.

If you figure it out, yes, it's awful.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Congrats.

Also, holy poo poo.

And also, congrats.

Will you move on to MOO2?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
MOO2

I loved that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Milking the Franchise: Let's Play MOO2

:v:

The usual advice for MOO2 is "get research labs, followed by reinforced hull and automated factories ASAP"

Also, obviously, it's hella easier if you customize your race for maximum science or production. :v: One time, I played a game as custom unitols, and a friend picked vanilla Darloks, and it was just sad.