Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Live albums are great. They're how you tell who's really good. Post your favourite / the best live albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's another that I rate fairly highly (don't laugh):

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Sam Cooke Live at the Harlem Square Club

James Brown Live at the Apollo, & Love Power Peace (though you can hardly go wrong with any live James Brown)

Yellowman live at Reggae Sunsplash

Goblin Live '78

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
Stop Making Sense

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Not technically an album, but I always liked this VHS cassette.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
The Band, Rock of Ages (stupid title, incredible set, this was The Band in their prime--better than The Last Waltz)
Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Live at the Fillmore East
Mississippi John Hurt, Live
Hank Williams, Live at the Grand Ole Opry

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
Probably the only band I've ever loved more live and also it was a DVD but whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP581mozBYk

An acquired taste.

incoherent light has a new favorite as of 09:59 on Apr 23, 2017

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
One of my all-time favorite live albums, and I usually hate live rock albums.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
The Beatles Live At The BBC is one of my favorite albums, live or otherwise.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Slightly :nws: Hawkwind - Space Ritual :nws:

Has the superior version of Down Through the Night and some beautifully insane poo poo from Robert Calvert, such as 10 Seconds of Forever.

RC and Moon Pie has a new favorite as of 04:16 on Apr 25, 2017

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Comptroll The Forums posted:

The Beatles Live At The BBC is one of my favorite albums, live or otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbMSUQE36us

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

JnnyThndrs posted:

One of my all-time favorite live albums, and I usually hate live rock albums.

Definitely one of top contenders but I have to go with this one, it's just nuts:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
o my love

o, my love

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

There's a really great early punk band called THE SCREAMERS (emphasis not mine) who never even recorded a demo, much less an album, so all that remains are some live recordings. Check out 22 Hours to Live if curious, it's usually on youtube. While I'm at it I'd like to nominate the following:

Billie Holiday at Jazz at the Philharmonic
Judas Priest Unleashed in the East
KISS Alive!
Link Wray/Robert Gordon Cleaveland '78
Nirvana Reading '92 ('91 is great too, as are a ton of bootlegs, don't know if it's kosher to post them).
David Bowie Nassau Coliseum '76

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Yeah, Unleashed in the East is a great album, it's in my top five.

drans
Sep 1, 2016
Ramrod XTreme
Its kind of dumb but always gives me a happy feeling. 90's socal punk scene was so full of energy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Bulgaroctonus posted:

THE SCREAMERS
Awesome poster graphics too. Are you old enough to have seen them? I missed it by a couple years, but they have a great reputation around here.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Foghat... Live!

Iron Maiden - Live After Death

Crazy Lixx - Sound of the Live Minority

Steel Panther - Live From Lexxi's Mom's Garage

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The soundtrack album for Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars is, really, a live album from the last concert Bowie did as Ziggy (it was filmed, played once on ABC, then once in a theater, but a planned full theatrical release never materialized.) In addition to a bunch of his own material Bowie sings Let's Spend the Night Together, All The Young Dudes, and White Light / White Heat, and while I normally prefer studio versions to live ones I gotta say a lot of the live cuts here stand out- Rock 'n' Roll Suicide, the last song on the last show of the last tour, is especially impassioned, Changes gains a lot from the energy, as does Space Oddity. Really recommended to any Bowie fan.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
^ My favorite version of Moonage Daydream too.

I'm surprised we're at the bottom of the first page with no Live at Leeds.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This is another one I enjoy a lot:

This was Nine Below Zero's best album; one of the bands who sounded good live but never quite replicated the sound on record.

Nekodoshi
Aug 4, 2007

I'm only as smart as the content of my posts.
I'm a fan of Metallica's S&M album, and also a more obscure group The Gathering does good live music, although I don't have a gull album, just Youtube stuff.

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

Built To Spill has a great live album that paints them as kind of an unlikely jam band

except they're good

Skoora
Sep 29, 2009
Black Flag - Live '84
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjHa3mNcbpk&t=1339s
I really like the later, sludgier days of Black Flag, but I think their studio albums don't really do them justice. This version of Nothing Left Inside is amazing

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Cypress Hill - Live at the Fillmore

Nine Inch Nails - And All That Could Have Been

Mindless Self Indulgence - Alienating Our Audience

Reel Big Fish - Our Live Album is Better Than Your Live Album

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

Nomeansno - Live And Cuddly. So much energy, so much berating the audience.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

While hosed Up Inside has a possibly better version of "Medication", this double LP is amazingly gorgeous and face melting. The "Shine A Light/Electric Mainline" alone is worth the trip alone, and this has by far my favorite "Walkin' with Jesus."

Drugs never sounded so religious.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Flyball posted:

Awesome poster graphics too. Are you old enough to have seen them? I missed it by a couple years, but they have a great reputation around here.

Nope, I was born in Texas in 1981, not too many opportunities for a baby to check out a band that I don't think ever toured.
: )

Anyway, back in the early '90's I would go to comic/record conventions back when they were held in scuzzy hotels. I got friendly with a guy that sold 4 hr VHS tapes of pretty much anything one could think of, so give him lists of like Flipper, Sonny Sharrock, Slayer,
Mowtown, Stax/Volt, you name it, this dude could drat near anything. If there was space at the end he'd just fill it up with random like old public access stuff, and that's how came across them. Blew my little 14 yr old mind.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
two recent (ish) faves

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Pfft. Bloody young people. I am amazed no-one has put up Hot August Night yet. My dad used to play this album all the time in teh car on long car trips, so maybe my love for it is a little bit of Stockholm Syndrome. But I truly think it is good.

YAY for the tree people.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Live albums = best albums.

Frank Zappa's Bongo Fury and The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life are both awesome. Former is some mid-70s insanity with Captain Beefheart, complete with spoken word sections and country-western shenanigans, in addition to some excellent guitar work. The latter comes from his final tour in 1988 and featured a 12-man band giving some crazy arrangements to songs that just sound amazing. Both are albums I grew up listening to and love.

Personal favorites of bands with better known other live albums, Iron Maiden's Maiden England '88 and Rush's Grace Under Pressure Tour. In both cases, I tend to like the sound mix of these albums more than the more famous preceding live albums by either band, Live After Death and Exit... Stage Left, respectively. Those albums are excellent as well, and probably feature better track choices, but these are two I've listened to a hell of a lot over the years...

And on the subject of live stuff, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Van Halen's Live Without A Net video. It remains probably my favorite concert performance, video, audio or otherwise, and it's a shame that a band that was some amazing live for so many years had only two official live albums (1993's Live: Right Here, Right Now and 2015's Tokyo Dome Live In Concert) that were both kinda meh for various reasons.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

AC/DC Live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomZero
Aug 22, 2010

A video but I ripped the audio years ago for portable listening.

• Locked thread