Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Poltergrift posted:

I mean, it wasn't too long ago, historically speaking, that we were saying that humans weren't meant to fly and talking about the hubris of Icarus, as if many people don't routinely fly across the planet in a few days.

People were convinced that if you ran faster than a 4 minute mile you would die and that bicycles would super age you. We believe all sorts of weird and dumb things when faced with new things that challenge our understanding of how things should work.

Mister Olympus posted:

I'm pretty convinced that wasn't actually the Shindo we've been following from episodes 1-6 talking. No way he would just hand some sort of crazy memevirus over to Google without a bunch of contracts and harsh stipulations, that's just far too irresponsible.

When the journalists were talking about their "other selves," I think that's the truth of what's going on--the Shindo that's very gung-ho about letting Yaha-kui spread his tentacles all over humanity is the Anisotropic Shindo "woken up" at the end of episodes 6; our Shindo was on his sleeping shift. Natsume is going to confront him about what he did with the Sansa and he's going to be confused because she's confronting the person she knows, not the extradimensional self leaking into a world where it should not exist.

Shindo hasn't been a normal human from episode 1. When he was processed by Kado he got a bunch of upgrades due to Kado not understanding humans fully before loving around with the dimensional molecules and poo poo. It's also likely that just as zaShunina is becoming more human, Shindo is becoming more anisotropic.

Also it seemed like Shindo hadn't been sleeping from before the reveal of the Sansa, as he had been ignoring the concerns of others that he needed a break or may be tired almost the entire series.

RottenK posted:

That'd be pretty great because "actually there's no twist" is a twist on its own by now, and also a story about humanity being uplifted by a benevolent but alien creature that struggles with understanding us is interesting in its own right.

I'm all for spending the rest of the season watching anisotropic Jesus and the human race interact with and react to each other.

The twist seems to be heading towards Man Was The True Monster All Along. zaShunina has been cautioning them all along to think things over and the first lesson that we learn is Shindo explaining the difference between a successful negotiation and a rushed negotiation. Two things that are being at least partially ignored. My guess is that, given zaShunina's fussing over precise communication, he really is relying on Shindo and Japanese bureaucracy to properly curb his actions when he is pushing too hard or acting incorrectly due to differences in dimensional understanding and other communication barriers.

The Prime Minister is right, all the cool things humanity is getting from zaShunina have no bearing on whether or not humanity fucks up. That's on humanity.

At least with Shindo and Tsukai drifting towards current situation philosophical extremes the negotiations might reach a better balance than

Qwertycoatl posted:

Alien: :wom:
Japan's toughest negotiator: He means he wants to give us unlimited free energy
Japan's other toughest negotiator: OK.

~fin~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

It's too late to go back now.
Next episode looks like we're gonna get some interesting revelations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I wasn't especially fond of her argument against moving forward. Cultural exchange is a natural facet of humanity that we've engaged in since before we were even fully human. To say that what we have now is fine is an incredibly myopic viewpoint. Sure, the outcome might destroy humanity, but that's likely to happen regardless of interference.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
gently caress they even have the stupid Google dome obsession including the "next-generation construction methods" required.

There Bias Two posted:

I wasn't especially fond of her argument against moving forward. Cultural exchange is a natural facet of humanity that we've engaged in since before we were even fully human. To say that what we have now is fine is an incredibly myopic viewpoint. Sure, the outcome might destroy humanity, but that's likely to happen regardless of interference.

Yeah her arguments rang hollow with me too. Her points about how the stuff that happened "in the universe" are sacrosanct and that the anisotropic is somehow different just doesn't mesh with what we know. It's not clear whether the universe is directly "part of" the anisotropic but it's clear that they both exist and have always existed (at least for some definition of always). It'd be like saying we shouldn't travel to Mars because humanity didn't know other planets existed for a very long time.

There are decent reasons to avoid these new devices and really critical questions that aren't even being asked or talked about, but the arguments that are being brought up in the show aren't very strong.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Well there's your twist, I guess. I like it.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I did not see that coming. It does make Tsukais stance much more understandable for me though.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Well that went in an interesting direction. The characterization seems kind of... off though.

Shindo is definitely not living up to his reputation as a negotiator. He refuses to press ZaShunina on important questions and just goes along with whatever he wants.

Worse, despite claiming to respect the autonomy of humans, he decides to kill Shindo the moment he shows the slightest bit of hesitation about entering a higher universe?

edit: Actually, I think what annoys me the most is that this entire story could have been resolved with five minutes of discussion between people who were actually competent:

"Oh hey humanity, I'm ZaShunina, and I come from a place outside the universe. So I know this is a major revelation, but your universe is basically on one of many servers that we designed because we were bored. The outside universe processes things really quickly, so we ran out of information to process, and started generating random permutations of reality to see what would happen. Out of nowhere, you guys popped up and started creating new data! We're not really gods since this was a complete accident, but we think it's pretty cool and we want you to keep doing your thing. I brought some cool odds and ends from my garage that we think you could use to do neat things with, and all we want in exchange is to keep monitoring you. Also, if any of you are qualified, we'd love to have some human consultants come back with us and shake things up a bit. I'll be in my box if you have any questions. Also, sorry about the plane crash, that was a total accident and I'll release them all in a month once they're safely able to do so."

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 9, 2017

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Bistromatic posted:

What it means to be human is really vague and "i know it when i see it" currently. I think the value a lot of people put on being human mostly stems from the fact that humans are the only sapient beings we know, if we knew of other beings that we would recognise as persons then "human" would suddenly take a back seat to "person". So screw being human if there is a better option.

You could argue we aren't even the only sapient species on this planet. Elephants, apes and cetaceans certainly show many traits that were traditionally attributed only to humans.

I'm curious to see the next episode, hope they don't ruin it.

Anyway some of you might enjoy reading the novel Blindsight by Peter Watts: http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

Piriwi fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 9, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

There Bias Two posted:

Well that went in an interesting direction. The characterization seems kind of... off though.

Shindo is definitely not living up to his reputation as a negotiator. He refuses to press ZaShunina on important questions and just goes along with whatever he wants.

Worse, despite claiming to respect the autonomy of humans, he decides to kill Shindo the moment he shows the slightest bit of hesitation about entering a higher universe?
Yeah that was pretty disappointing.

I just hope they at least remember to resolve the show with negotiation.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

That left turn loving sucked holy poo poo my philosophical first contact show turned onto loving anime bs

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

C-SPAN Caller posted:

That left turn loving sucked holy poo poo my philosophical first contact show turned onto loving anime bs

It's like they had an interesting premise and gave up for the follow-through.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I think it would be much better if the next episode preview did not show Za stomping over everyone.

There is something to be said about watching a god-like being being heavily negotiated.

Although, the idea of savestating a person if you screw up a conversation is a fun one.

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 10, 2017

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

C-SPAN Caller posted:

They've built up enough good will for me to watch the next episode before declaring the sky is falling.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Za does not seem to be very intelligent.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
He just wanted information, but he didn't realize the real information was the friends he made along the way.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005
I wonder how many time ZaShunina has murdered Shindo? Maybe all the conversations they have had have gone badly at first.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ValhallaSmith posted:

I wonder how many time ZaShunina has murdered Shindo? Maybe all the conversations they have had have gone badly at first.

If this one triggered the other anisotropic being's ring, presumably the other times would have done so as well, which doesn't seem to have happened.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if not for episode 0 shindo being so unnaturally calm and agreeable would have seemed really suspicious. but no, that is just how he was even before he got eaten by a cube.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Just saw the latest episode. holy lol that's a bad ending. I'm expecting a magical girl in a mecha next episode, yelling ZASHUNINAAAAAAA!!!!!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

zaShunima wanting to restore Shindo from backup after botching a conversation was a cool twist.

Tsukai also being secretly anisotropic was not a cool twist.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
This can potentially go real bad from now on, but the show was good enough before the twists that I'll give it a chance.

Unrelated, but I'm glad that she show has openly stated that Shindo has both guys and ladies in love with him. Also apparently there's an interview that says that anisotropic Jesus has developed feelings for him too? I saw it on 4chan but didn't have the time to check.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
I paused on watching this show after they moved the cube and now I'm not so certain I want to pick it back up.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

RangerKarl posted:

I paused on watching this show after they moved the cube and now I'm not so certain I want to pick it back up.

It's manages to build up some interesting suspense before abruptly falling off a cliff.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Qwertycoatl posted:

zaShunima wanting to restore Shindo from backup after botching a conversation was a cool twist.

I was actually expecting that to be the case, from the stuff we had seen from the device that enabled them to see their other selves, and that the only Shindo we would see where the ones from universes in which the debates came in the anisotropic's favor, switching them back and forth as he needed.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

StarMinstrel posted:

I was actually expecting that to be the case, from the stuff we had seen from the device that enabled them to see their other selves, and that the only Shindo we would see where the ones from universes in which the debates came in the anisotropic's favor, switching them back and forth as he needed.

It would be cool if we didn't know how often a bodyswap had happened before, but Tuskai triggering on it seems to imply that it's the first time.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I just wonder what's next. Peaceful resolution seems unlikely, for obvious reasons, but it'd be super weird if after the rest of the show it now suddenly decided to end with a big JRPG battle against a god.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Maybe someone should try actual negotiating

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Qwertycoatl posted:

Maybe someone should try actual negotiating

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

RottenK posted:

I just wonder what's next.

Budokai Tenkaichi with six zaShunina versus six Tsukai with OG Shindo as the prize and Backup Shindo for second place.

C'mon lets get weird :wom:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Logicblade posted:

He just wanted information, but he didn't realize the real information was the friends he made along the way.

It turns out the information was in him all along

He just had to believe

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Wow totally stolen from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I knew the right answer was nuking the alien

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Maybe "information" is an anisotropic euphemism for a husband.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

There Bias Two posted:

"Oh hey humanity, I'm ZaShunina, and I come from a place outside the universe. So I know this is a major revelation, but your universe is basically on one of many servers that we designed because we were bored. The outside universe processes things really quickly, so we ran out of information to process, and started generating random permutations of reality to see what would happen. Out of nowhere, you guys popped up and started creating new data! We're not really gods since this was a complete accident, but we think it's pretty cool and we want you to keep doing your thing. I brought some cool odds and ends from my garage that we think you could use to do neat things with, and all we want in exchange is to keep monitoring you. Also, if any of you are qualified, we'd love to have some human consultants come back with us and shake things up a bit. I'll be in my box if you have any questions. Also, sorry about the plane crash, that was a total accident and I'll release them all in a month once they're safely able to do so."

"Man you should've seen the universe Jim made, it was full of basically identical humans but their faces were upside down so they kept getting food in their eyes, no loving way we were giving them these toys."

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

wow this series just got tonal whiplash to hell and back

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
NEGOTIATION HAS FAILED

(I prefer the argument that "humanity is a child, and you're giving them fire, and they're going to burn their loving house down" and less "what humanity does on its own is special" even if we now know why the show considers it special)

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

booksnake posted:

NEGOTIATION HAS FAILED

(I prefer the argument that "humanity is a child, and you're giving them fire, and they're going to burn their loving house down" and less "what humanity does on its own is special" even if we now know why the show considers it special)

From a purely pragmatic, alien perspective, it makes sense that you would want to allow humans to live independently. Influencing them might result in damaging their cultures and therefore their value as a source of novel information. If they were to align their values with the anisotropic, then they would no longer be different.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
We know almost nothing about the anisotropic, except that they exist as seperate beings.

Both Wam and Sansa can be interpreted as attempts to increase the amount of information generated by humanity.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Episode 10 was pretty good. I'm not in favor of some things that happened, but it was interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Meh this is turning into a letdown. A lot of shows, something major changes the setting, but they never explore the consequences. The sleepless bit reminded me of the book Beggars in Spain

Kado looked like it would follow through because of Wam and the moving project, but not so much now

• Locked thread