Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
So I happened to take a look at Prime Video for the first time recently, they actually have some good content included free for prime members - for example Veep, The Wire, and The Americans.

They also have a couple decent original shows (The Man in the High Castle, Catastrophe, Alpha House).

However, their UI is utter poo poo so I thought I'd make a thread to trade recommendations on content to check out.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Don't they have those old MTV shows that were halfway decent, like Beavis and Butthead and Daria? I think they might also have classic Nicktoons.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Propaganda Machine posted:

Don't they have those old MTV shows that were halfway decent, like Beavis and Butthead and Daria? I think they might also have classic Nicktoons.

Not free with prime, they want 5 bucks a season for Rocko and same for Beavis and Butthead.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
drat, that must be newish. Viacom recently removed daily show from Hulu as well. Jerks.

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

drat, that must be newish. Viacom recently removed daily show from Hulu as well. Jerks.

daily show is free nightly on comedy central for what it's worth

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
The night manager is my latest reminder of why I have prime. It's really good and only 6 episodes.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
If you haven't seen the pilot of Jean Claude Van Johnson yet, you should. (Unless you have never enjoyed any eighties action movies, in which case you're a monster.) Super looking forward to it being a series, really hope they can keep it at the level of the pilot. Sadly, series is apparently coming "late 2017" and is only 5 episodes.

If you don't mind watching a show for teens, Gortimer Gibbon's Life on Normal Street is pretty decent too, similar to "Eerie Indiana" or "Round the Twist". There's two seasons of that already, with a third (or second-and-a-halfth apparently) coming in July.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Seconding Jean Claude Van Johnson. It's great to hear that it got picked up for series. It seemed like they had a story arc in mind, so having only five episodes might be a good thing.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Seconding Jean Claude Van Johnson. It's great to hear that it got picked up for series. It seemed like they had a story arc in mind, so having only five episodes might be a good thing.
True, I was having a hard time imagining it sustaining the same pace of humor for a 13 episode run. 5 seems a lot more plausible. But still disappointing because really I want a Macgyver-sized near-endless series of it because the pilot was so great.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
You didn't mention Patriot, which is the best new show this year.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hell, Patriot is the best show I've seen in many years, at least since seasons 1 and 3 of Rectify.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Looks like The Tick is coming to Amazon Prime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpz76D4Gku0

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
My wife and I started watching Red Oaks recently. We were both teens in the 80s so relate to the show in that way as it's set in them. But it's a good show for a comedy with some heart.

You'll either love or hate the lead actor. The rest of the cast is superb. The lead isn't bad, just has a really bland style.

I'd recommend it to basically anyone. Don't expect anything super deep. It's light comedy, doesn't hit you over the head with lessons (loving This is Us), has excellent excellent mostly non-hit 80s tunes and is fun to watch. Also like anything else give it a few episodes.

For other Prime stuff: DS9 is on there so if you haven't seen that do it. There's a couple other new sci fi series on there, The Expanse and some other one set just a few decades in the future that looks good but I've seen neither.

E: Red Oaks in Amazon original

Oh, remembered another one that has a thread on here somewhere. Transparent is original content. First season an was absolutely top notch incredibly well done drama piece, second was not as good but good but the 3rd started out super dark and turned us off. Then I read that Jenner was going to be on it and the writer or director said the 4th season was going to be more political so no plans to return to it.

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 27, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Amazon is really bringing it with Patriot, Fortitude, and Bosch. Fortitude could use some help with pacing. Bosch S3 begged too many comparisons to The Wire, they need to be careful as the show is already highly derivative. The Tick monologues are awesome, hopefully the series is good. Jean Claude Van Johnson was mildly amusing up until the final 10 minutes and suddenly it came alive and made me like it. Biggest problem was it felt very rushed, like they made the pilot the morning after a raucous party with no reshoots and everyone was seeing the script for the first time.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
Wait, there's a third season out?

I think it's a huge failing of Amazon's that it didn't email me to let me know a third season was out. Or even before that, when the release date was announced.

Oh well, happy days. :)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I would watch Amazon Prime a lot more if they had some kind of VR support on Oculus/Gear like Netflix did. Once you've sat in bed at night and fired up a giant 20 foot screen that you can move to any angle it's tough to go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

maskenfreiheit posted:

So I happened to take a look at Prime Video for the first time recently, they actually have some good content included free for prime members - for example Veep, The Wire, and The Americans.

They also have a couple decent original shows (The Man in the High Castle, Catastrophe, Alpha House).

However, their UI is utter poo poo so I thought I'd make a thread to trade recommendations on content to check out.

Anyone have any suggestions?
There's a fair amount of discussion of Prime content in the The "What Should I Watch on Streaming?" Megathread (Netflix, Prime, etc) in Cinema Discusso and the PYF Content that is Available on Netflix (and Hulu and Amazon Prime...) thread in PYF.

It might make sense to have a thread for discussion of Amazon's original shows specifically in TV IV, however. (either combined with or separately from Netflix).

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 29, 2017

• Locked thread