Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
I didnt realize it was out already!!

I like mst3k but Who is this dumb hipsternerd with the dumb voice and why is he trying to cram a joke in every .5 seconds

why cant they get some midwesterner who talks slowly on the show? do i blame netflix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

I don't know the answer to your questions op. Hopefully there are some industry experts here who can lend some insight and closure to your inquiries.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

I think Joel had chosen him before they knew who was going to distribute the show, so it's his fault.

I don't really like him either but I'm still watching the first one because I also did not know it was out already and maybe he'll grow on me like Mike.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

Dogmeat posted:

I think Joel had chosen him before they knew who was going to distribute the show, so it's his fault.

I don't really like him either but I'm still watching the first one because I also did not know it was out already and maybe he'll grow on me like Mike.

inshallah

but all his jokes seem to be forced and dumb. then again i am a gooon and expect only the best

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

It's OK.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I tried watching and it was bad so I turned it off.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Show was good holds up like the original modernized references but still same comedy style

Will watch again fast forwarding through any point theyre not watching the movie netflix good

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
The trio tries too drat hard to shoved jokes in that they're just blending together.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Mike > Joel

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Mike>>Joel>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jonah.

He's awful. I can't loving believe Joel picked him for this.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
The show is very good and very well written aside from the rap in episode 1, tom servo's irritating new voice, the bots voice actors both having fancy names, the ham-fisted push to include gypsy in the riffs (what is she doing, loading and unloading props), the awkward relationship between max and kinga (why the gently caress is her name "kinga"?) and the complete lack of explanation of what happened between the scifi channel series and the netflix series.

A-

Fake edit: in Star Crash, they make a poo poo ton of black sitcom jokes when the black-painted robot tries to enter a ship. :shrug:

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

do they feel they have to breathlessly force jokes in every second for the adhd generation or what exactly

im blaming the l.a. nerd.

ive only seen the first one so it better get better

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
The first episode is not great, the movie they chose was really bad but not in a way that's all that funny, and the riffs were too quick fire.

The other episodes are better. Cry Wilderness is way better, start with that episode. It's an insane movie featuring bigfoot that almost immediately goes off the rails.

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 22, 2017

Mauvais
Jul 24, 2002

HUZZAH
I've made it through the first 1 and half episodes and I guess they have a wood laser cutter machine and dammit they're gonna use it

The pace of the jokes can seem fast, though I know in some of the original episodes there's bits where they're throwing the jokes out at a pretty good rate when they're in a hot streak. Here though it feels like the very split second something cuts on screen they've already begun saying the riff and it's disorientating as hell

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

i liked how in the earlier versions the characters made jokes to make each other laugh

but in this one the characters are trying too hard to make the viewer laugh

it is like a constant barrage of "hey, psst, do you remember this?"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Mauvais posted:

I've made it through the first 1 and half episodes and I guess they have a wood laser cutter machine and dammit they're gonna use it

I noticed that too. All the little props they'd use for the host segments look the same.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
watching the second episode have some family over with some papa johns and beer, it's not bad

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
It definitely gets better. My biggest problem with it is that the three voices sound too similar.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Robokomodo posted:

The trio tries too drat hard to shoved jokes in that they're just blending together.

Yeah, it just becomes noise. There's some decent gags in there, but good luck picking them out from absolute torrent they spew out. I've had it on in the background most of the week and Avalanche and Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 1&2 are the only episodes that made me stop what was doing and watch, so I'm going to say those are the best.

The new Crow really sounds like Trace sometimes, the rest of the time he sounds like the monkey from Greg the Bunny.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
My problems with the new season:

1. Too many riffs jammed in to every moment of silence possible. They could have been more selective in dropping some of the weaker riffs and giving the better riffs more room to breathe.

2. They sound like they're performing for the audience rather than just being a few friends cracking jokes with each other; and it kinda gives the feeling that they're 'that guy that's trying too hard to be liked' that everyone knows. Even when the jokes are fine, the delivery is awful. Probably ties in with #1, they're just too rushed to make things sound natural.

3. Servo, Crow, and Jonah sound too much alike. They need to sound distinctive in the dark because it just sounds like one guy talking to himself the whole time.

Also, I think it hurt them by doing the whole season in one go. It left them without a feedback loop on what was working with the audience and what wasn't to learn from, and it really makes online discussion difficult because there's just *too much* to discuss; and when people wanted to discuss the most, when stuff was brand new, so many places were so concerned about spoilers that it stifled the discussion. If they do another season, and if Netflix doesn't insist on an entire season at once like they seemingly like to do with all their shows, they really should go back to a rolling production schedule.

But all in all, I'm far more happy to have a new season of MST3K than I am bothered by the flaws.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 23, 2017

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
I remember this thread. It ended in a goatse attack. Good times

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
its good but its not girl boss good

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

Supernorn posted:

Cry Wilderness is way better, start with that episode. It's an insane movie featuring bigfoot that almost immediately goes off the rails.

yeah im checking it out, its pretty funny by itself with the random shots of racoons and foxes and his father prancing around in the woods like some italian's idea of living in montana, but you cant even pay attention for a second to soak anything in

maybe its just me.

its kind of cool to see films in hd and not to have to see the same eps over and over but fucks sake. i realize when most of our generation isnt talking about ourselves we're using an iphone but it doesnt mean its a good thing to have constant loving chatter

im not upset, im just... disappointed :flaccid:

JiveHonky posted:

as they all should

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

Mnoba posted:

watching the second episode have some family over with some papa johns and beer, it's not bad

sometimes it feels good to let your hair down in the trailer with the fam, naked and eatin papa's best

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
why is patton oswalt in everything now does he show up if you offer a lunchable or what

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Harald posted:

its good but its not girl boss good

JiveHonky posted:

If only someone would goatse the Girl Boss thread...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

NuMST3K is great. It's like a second season six.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Jose Oquendo posted:

Mike>>Joel>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jonah.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007
Cry Wilderness was great, but all the problems with Jonah Ray, the new Tom Servo voice and the barrage of jokes become way more noticable when they're watching the less entertaining movies. I just didn't really get much out of Time Travellers or Reptilicus or the Korean monster one.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Robo Reagan posted:

why is patton oswalt in everything now does he show up if you offer a lunchable or what

He succeeded in killing his wife so now he has plenty of free time.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think the jokes are fine, the pacing may be a little rushed, but drat all the voices do sound the same

ive been fast forwarding through non-movie parts since the original series. They're unwatchable and patton oswalt and netflix's attempt to turn the non-movie parts into nerd cred material is insufferable, like that rap mentioned.

skipping the original content is 100% the way to go

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
the worst is the inclusion of wil wheaton and felicia day. They're like the kardashians of nerd culture.

Netflix is trying too hard to get that nerd cred into the show.

I dont even know what patton oswalt is doing man those lunchables gotta be good

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Netflix has nothing to do with the content of the show.

The CC era host segments are great (check out Pod People) and the Sci-Fi era was great aside from the ones they were forced to do to maintain a storyline.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Star crash is the best episode. I like the fresh show, I'm young enough to get the fast paced jokes and references. The Kaiju rap was boss.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
why did it have to be a rap? also they conflated creatures from cryptozoology and monster movies so it made zero sense really

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The first episode is awful and I shut it off about 30-40 minutes in. Just nonstop "its funny because German accent" cringey jokes. Cry Wilderness is far, far better even though they still go overboard with the riffing. They get better with the over-riffing as the season goes on, too.

Supposedly they shot this whole thing in ~2 weeks so there probably wasn't a lot of time to remove riffs that didn't work well.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I don't like that Tom Servo can fly now.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Robo Reagan posted:

Any excuse not to talk to the police

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Supernorn posted:

The other episodes are better. Cry Wilderness is way better, start with that episode. It's an insane movie featuring bigfoot that almost immediately goes off the rails.

Cry Wilderness hangs with some of the best older episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

That Robot posted:

Fake edit: in Star Crash, they make a poo poo ton of black sitcom jokes when the black-painted robot tries to enter a ship. :shrug:

Servo is black now.

I've watched three episodes of the new season today while browsing the internet, and it's pretty good, I think. The episode about a Bigfoot is indeed very funny.

• Locked thread