Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

angerbeet posted:

I don't like that Tom Servo can fly now.

Some of my favorite bits from the original were just Joel peeking over a wall or reaching up for something on screen. They're just quick little gags though, and having Tom fly into position to make the joke kinda kills it. Gypsy dropping down with a picnic basket in the first ep. was really bad and completely killed any other jokes they could've done for a hat wearing file cabinet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

This new seasons wonderful. Can't wait for the renew.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
I think it was pretty well made, better than I expected. I just couldn't enjoy it the same way because you can't recapture your youth, ya know? :unsmith:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
i've always been one of those weirdos who think that bad movies are even more enjoyable without the riffs if I'm watching them on my own, so I haven't even tried to watch this yet. That said, every single report I've heard about the show (and I've heard more than a few) are that it's a nerdist culture type attempt at recapturing the original's popularity, and is coming across as very much artificial for it. I get the distinct impression that perhaps Joel probably jumped on this whole idea because of how much better Mike and the Rifftrax crew had continued on with the riff format successfully than his own Cinematic Titanic did.

I always liked the Mike years better than the Joel ones anyways. Joel's years always felt more like they were laughing at the films to be mean-spirited than to actually playfully rib the films while still enjoying them, which plays into my own b-movie sensibilities far more anyways. Regardless I can just watch the re-runs and the Rifftrax eps on their respective channels on Pluto.tv for free already anyways.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Starcrash was kind of almost too good for the MST3K treatment. Also I know it's a family show, but they've got to find a way to address how blatantly phallic that robot was. It's just a big black cock.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Irom posted:

Mike > Joel

They brought Mike on the show when he was like a waiter at Fridays and he slayed every joke he wrote and ended up writing all of Joel's best lines so yeah this is pretty much indisputable. Joel without Mike's writing is hit or miss

The harder argument is which Crow is better

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

That Robot posted:

the ham-fisted push to include gypsy in the riffs (what is she doing, loading and unloading props)

I thought she was dropping off and picking up a pickanic basket.

I did not like the first two episodes, but some of the episodes were pretty funny.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Bored posted:

I thought she was dropping off and picking up a pickanic basket.

I did not like the first two episodes, but some of the episodes were pretty funny.

The bots are digging a tunnel and Gypsy is getting rid of the dirt.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

General Dog posted:

The bots are digging a tunnel and Gypsy is getting rid of the dirt.

I missed it. Whoops. Thank you.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Paladinus posted:

Servo is black now.

I've watched three episodes of the new season today while browsing the internet, and it's pretty good, I think. The episode about a Bigfoot is indeed very funny.

Oh. I guess that explains it then. His voice is just grating. Baron Vaughn is probably fine on his own, but drat it doesn't work for Servo.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Agag posted:

I think it was pretty well made, better than I expected. I just couldn't enjoy it the same way because you can't recapture your youth, ya know? :unsmith:

Lol where the hell have you been? I thought you disappeared or some poo poo.

Sebastien Lenorman
Apr 12, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The biggest thing i'm noticing is that the out-of-movie sections seem rushed. Does it seem that way to anyone else? The whole thing seems hurried.

Nothing will ever beat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xvhn122ygc

The new servo is awful in general, he keeps complaining about white people and poo poo.

Sebastien Lenorman fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 23, 2017

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004
The new mads are terrible. Hiring a man who murdered his wife wasn't a great decision.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
it was good, although once i finished it i felt like watching old episodes and yeah the new season's riffs were a bit too rapid fire i guess. the non-movie parts were ok too, i don't really like that girl from supernatural but she did ok and some of the guests were good, Seinfeld was funny and joel mchale as doug mcclure was awesome.

that monster rap in the first episode was good tho :( the chorus has been stuck in my head all week and i keep singing it at my dog and it makes him dance on his hind legs and howl into the night with me

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
recommend me good old episodes, i watched it when i was a kid but not regularly and not since it went off the air so it's all fresh as heck for me basically

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Gatekeeper posted:

recommend me good old episodes, i watched it when i was a kid but not regularly and not since it went off the air so it's all fresh as heck for me basically

The old episodes that Netflix has are all pretty good actually. Can't go wrong with any of them. Shoutfactorytv.com has 60+ episodes too. I would just watch them all.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Is Crow still the gay/bi of the group?

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

This new guy is way better than I was expecting, and the show is real good, but the new bads are pretty dang awful. Joel is still the #1 host, I don't care if Mike was writing the best lines. Mike was really good too though and he has a really great name for awesome dudes.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

The new season is pretty good, maybe a bit rough in parts but it will give you some laughs! Maybe it's not full of spicy memes but it honors the classic show!

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Nothing except

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEeY9rspTrE

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gatekeeper posted:

Space Mutiny
Jack Frost
Eegah
Werewolf
Merlins shop of Mystical Wonders

Any of the shorts

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Manos.

firebeats
May 8, 2016

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Who could possibly give a poo poo who's reading the jokes during the bad movie? The jokes are good. Do you dweebs watch MST3K for the skits? Laaaaaaaaaame

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gatekeeper posted:

Shorts. You can probably find them all on youtube too.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Last night I watched the starcrash one and it was good. Thanks for reading

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Choco1980 posted:

i've always been one of those weirdos who think that bad movies are even more enjoyable without the riffs if I'm watching them on my own, so I haven't even tried to watch this yet. That said, every single report I've heard about the show (and I've heard more than a few) are that it's a nerdist culture type attempt at recapturing the original's popularity, and is coming across as very much artificial for it. I get the distinct impression that perhaps Joel probably jumped on this whole idea because of how much better Mike and the Rifftrax crew had continued on with the riff format successfully than his own Cinematic Titanic did.

lol everything about this is wrong

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
You guys have sold me on the Bigfoot episode, I'll give it a go

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Ahh so that's how Patton killed his wife! He shot her out of an airlock.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Out of all the possible memes goons in 2017 could have latched onto of course they chose the horrendously unfunny "Patton killed his wife" one

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Irom posted:

Mike > Joel

Agreed.

Joel always seemed super uncomfortable to be on screen and Mike delivered his riffs much better.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Joel always sounds sleepy, but it really couldn't matter less.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Mike's a better performer, and at least as funny; but Joel had a kind of dopey quality I think was perfect for the show, I have have a hard time deciding - between those two.

- Tom Servo is so different in both voice and personality that they probably should've just made a new robot if they were going to go with that guy
- Patton Oswald is the most seamless addition - he'd probably have fit in perfectly with the old group.
- They probably don't need a minimum of 1 Lost joke every episode

I like it enough, it's fun. I'm glad it was made.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
can't we just like them both and hate the new guy, like it's always been

for people looking for the episoes:
http://www.club-mst3k.com/

Drunk & Ugly fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 23, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just think, in 10 years we can argue with the people who are 12-year-olds now and think Jonah's better than Mike and Joel.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dogmeat posted:

I think Joel had chosen him before they knew who was going to distribute the show, so it's his fault.

I don't really like him either but I'm still watching the first one because I also did not know it was out already and maybe he'll grow on me like Mike.

Mike is superior to Joel so much it hurts

Captain Lavender posted:

Mike's a better performer, and at least as funny; but Joel had a kind of dopey quality I think was perfect for the show, I have have a hard time deciding - between those two.

Mike has way more edge to him. Joel is almost like a children's show host.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

The first episode is awful and I shut it off about 30-40 minutes in. Just nonstop "its funny because German accent" cringey jokes. Cry Wilderness is far, far better even though they still go overboard with the riffing. They get better with the over-riffing as the season goes on, too.

Supposedly they shot this whole thing in ~2 weeks so there probably wasn't a lot of time to remove riffs that didn't work well.

didn't they raise like 6 millions. does that only buy 2 weeks worth of recording jokes

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm disturbed that the new set doesn't have a millennium falcon stuck somewhere on the wall.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Reptillicus was a pretty good opener, Cry Wilderness had the weakest riffs so far, and they brought it back around with the time travel one. I think that movie was honestly a bit too "good" to be on MST3K, I was reasonably interested in the weird goings-on of the film's characters, which usually doesn't happen here.

My friend is really big into the show and thinks it's a return to form, he thinks the quantity of jokes is overall a good thing. I'm more lukewarm so far, but I have to wonder how much of that is a failing of this new production and how much is that after all these years of MST3K nostalgia and the Internet's slavish adoration of it, I'm not just kind of burnt out, and a promise of "the same but newer" isn't as appealing now as it would have been six years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Most everybody posted:

My problems with the new season:

1. Too many riffs jammed in to every moment of silence possible.

Does everyone shoot smack before they watch this show? I mean it has moments here and there that have a few more lines that usual, but it's not exactly overwhelming. It feels pretty much like the OG with a few more updated references and a little less dead space.

...But the three of them do sound too much alike.

• Locked thread