Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
its not really economically effective so im guessing we just figure out how to build super windmills or whatever and then don't worry about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Why don't we just put solar panels on the moon

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
holy poo poo

why don't we put solar panels

on the sun

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
now we're talking

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Jose posted:

Didn't the coal plant being taken out cause far more environment damage?

in total yes but people can get accustomed to an awful lot of bullshit if it's structural and not spike

if you replaced every fossil fuel power station in the USA with an equivalent breeder reactor the amount of land spoiled by buried radioactive waste would equate to....the amount of surface land spoiled by radioactive waste from one coal plant, lol

u shouldn't do that because there's not that many proven deposits of uranium tho, and unlike fossil fuels it's not practically guaranteed that lots more is around because life existed. but it's dumb af to not have more nuclear in the mix

Badger of Basra posted:

look at this guy who thinks electricity generation should be for-profit
it basically isn't rn, so any extra costs will be inevitably shouldered by the consumers, and more to the point, the poor. poor people get hurt the most by expensive power which is one of a fistful of reasons why renewables are gonna be super minor players in the power mix for a long while still

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

I don't understand why people are so sure that now, in 2017, we have everything "right" and have unearthed all the hidden dangers in our technologies. In the 1950's it was considered fine to hose down children with DDT. The I loving Love Science people would have been sneering at any "backwards" person who asked if the potential drawbacks of DDT outweighed the benefits.
ddt actually owned for its time, much like breeder vs pebble bed reactors u do with what you've got and constantly strive to do better

the alternative to ddt was a cocktail of poo poo that was so ineffective that we still lost entire fields of corn and cotton to burrowing parasites, and ddt's deployment also coincided with a serious retreat in malaria as mosquitoes got their poo poo wrecked bigly

it's very bad for bird populations and it's good that it's not in wide use anymore but particularly at the time the alternative was way worse for the poorest among us, who suffered most from disease-ridden mosquitoes and higher food and clothing prices caused by crop failures

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
IMO we should put a bunch of nuclear plants on Mars and then have reaaaaaaaally long extension cords run down to earth.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

mister magpie posted:

haha you think their record is perfect

Dude's right, aside from Thresher there's literally no record of even a minor nuclear accident happening in the US Navy. They are really drat good at nuclear power. For that matter, if you exclude the Soviets/Russians the safety record in Naval projects generally is fantastic

Nebakenezzer has issued a correction as of 22:25 on Apr 24, 2017

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I thought Fukushima was the end of nuclear power for most people because natural disasters happen.

The 2008 recession killed off a lot of the "Nuclear Renaissance" that was predicted under Bush, Fukishima put it in intensive care, and Westinghouse recently filing bankruptcy and possibly taking down all of Toshiba due to cost overruns at VC Summer and Vogtle is pretty much the nail the coffin. More of the older plants are shutting down now because they can't compete with natural gas on price.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Badger of Basra posted:

it's cool how germany, because they're so concerned about public safety, shut down all their nuclear plants and replaced them with coal

I think they're also importing a bunch of power from France which is like 95% nuclear.

Security at French nuclear plants is hilariously bad, but so was US security until 9/11.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

deadgoon posted:

holy poo poo

on the sun

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Dude's right, aside from Thresher there's literally no record of even a minor nuclear accident happening in the US Navy. They are really drat good at nuclear power. For that matter, if you exclude the Soviets/Russians the safety record in Naval projects generally is fantastic

I was in the navy nuclear program from 02 - 08

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

we could just use a radioactive material that isn't uranium but then we wouldn't be able to make missiles from the byproduct

and then what use would that be. all we'd get would be power

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

mister magpie posted:

I was in the navy nuclear program from 02 - 08

Honestly if you know otherwise I'd be interested in hearing

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Honestly if you know otherwise I'd be interested in hearing

I'm actually unsure what about my service I had to sign a paper saying I wouldn't talk about so I actually immediately regretted making that comment

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

mister magpie posted:

I'm actually unsure what about my service I had to sign a paper saying I wouldn't talk about so I actually immediately regretted making that comment

Use rhyming slang to get around the rule.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

mysterious frankie posted:

Use rhyming slang to get around the rule.

It's perfectly legal if you say it happened to a friend, that's how we learned about the SR-71

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

deadgoon posted:

holy poo poo

on the sun

they would block out all the sunlight and then no plants would grow on the whole planet earth. rip

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
nukes are for cucks

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

crazy cloud posted:

nukes are for cucks

the trix rabbit has gotten weird in his age

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

wizard on a water slide posted:

the trix rabbit has gotten weird in his age

he's been malnourished because the dickhead kids won't let him have any fucken breakfast

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

crazy cloud posted:

they would block out all the sunlight and then no plants would grow on the whole planet earth. rip

grow the weed, on the sun

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

deadgoon posted:

grow the weed, on the sun

i think the DEA would notice if you tried this !!! they can tell if you have lots of grow lights by infrared scanning your house. they're gonna be able to tell if you're growing weed on the sun dude. stay safe spacegardenerghost

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

crazy cloud posted:

i think the DEA would notice if you tried this !!! they can tell if you have lots of grow lights by infrared scanning your house. they're gonna be able to tell if you're growing weed on the sun dude. stay safe spacegardenerghost

we've never sent a cop to space! you can do anything up there. drink piss. collaborate with russians. anything.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

deadgoon posted:

we've never sent a cop to space! you can do anything up there. drink piss. collaborate with russians. anything.

tempting and persuasive

but jefferson davis beauregard sessions: with a vengeance, is AG and within 6 years the militarization of city police departments will have progressed into each having their own city air force and city version of nasa, big-league

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Your return on energy investment for nukes is basically only beaten by hydro, and all major rivers that could be dammed, have been dammed.

Wind and solar are intermittent weak sauce and cannot provide a total energy solution with the technology we have, but nukes can

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
return on investment is a garbage metric

my return on investment on the food I buy is zero because I just flush away my dumps and I never see a dime back so maybe i should stop buying food if I really want to maximize my roi

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You have to get more energy out than you put in, and the greater the ratio of energy out:in, the less total productive capacity you have to spend building and maintaining energy infrastructure, so you can spend it on other things, like weed

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

crazy cloud posted:

return on investment is a garbage metric

my return on investment on the food I buy is zero because I just flush away my dumps and I never see a dime back so maybe i should stop buying food if I really want to maximize my roi

tiihnk of it like this: if you stopped eating you would die, so every penny you earn from your labor is a return on your investment in food

just surrender to the infallible logic of Markets dude

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
There's also a certain level of return on investment you can't really go below, because there's an implicit cost associated with the level of specialization and industrial capacity necessary to even make sonething like a pv cell in the first place.

Another point: Silicon is actual pretty extensive to make energy wise, because you need it to be a pure crystal, which means you have to melt it. But the energy you get from the cell from solar radiation isn't that much, so it had to sit there in the sun for like a couple of years, before you actually start paying that back.

That delay in surplus means that economic growth under a pure solar economy has a hard limit imposed on it, by the fundamental energy accounting process. Any expansion of the energy supply is going to take decades to actually afford, ergo economic activity & growth will be bottle necked by the supply of energy.

rudatron has issued a correction as of 06:17 on Apr 25, 2017

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
not all energy infrastructures are equally cool and good and nuke plants are bad, they're just bad. lol if u can't see that they're obviously bad. don't build a thing that shits radiation into the ocean if there happens to be an earthquake. double don't build it in a land of freakin earthquakes and poo poo. i don't even know where to start with how bad nuclear power plants are unless they're the fusion plants from simcity2000. literally the only good thing about them is that after you spend a gorillian dollars making one you make some money back i guess? great

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Everything has a downside, nothing is free. Good policy is balancing the good against the bad, for a given context.

Radiation is a hazard to human health, but so is social instability and economic uncertainty/ stagnation.

Healthcare, education, security, everything costs money, every product and service has embedded in it the productive capacity necessary to make and support it.

Lacking that capacity, because you're having to spend more of it on maintaining and expanding your energy infrastructure, means a real world drop in standard of living, along with the knock-on social effects. Is that something you're prepared to accept?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I agree we should spend a lot of money on fusion research.

Because even if we don't crack that nut there's a lot of super useful ancillary stuff to come out of understanding high-energy plasma physics.

And if we do crack that nut we get a cheap power source that runs on water.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
we are never cracking that nut but we should do it anyway yeah

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

crazy cloud posted:

not all energy infrastructures are equally cool and good and nuke plants are bad, they're just bad. lol if u can't see that they're obviously bad. don't build a thing that shits radiation into the ocean if there happens to be an earthquake. double don't build it in a land of freakin earthquakes and poo poo. i don't even know where to start with how bad nuclear power plants are unless they're the fusion plants from simcity2000. literally the only good thing about them is that after you spend a gorillian dollars making one you make some money back i guess? great

We just recently had a coal tailings dam spill over into the neighbouring wetland because of increased rainfall from a nearby hurricane (In a region well known for hurricanes). The government is offering the same company a billion dollar loan to open a coal mine. People freak out about nuclear, but no one bats an eyelid at this poo poo. Oh yeah and this port is right next to the Great Barrier Reef.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rudatron posted:

There's also a certain level of return on investment you can't really go below, because there's an implicit cost associated with the level of specialization and industrial capacity necessary to even make sonething like a pv cell in the first place.

Another point: Silicon is actual pretty extensive to make energy wise, because you need it to be a pure crystal, which means you have to melt it. But the energy you get from the cell from solar radiation isn't that much, so it had to sit there in the sun for like a couple of years, before you actually start paying that back.

That delay in surplus means that economic growth under a pure solar economy has a hard limit imposed on it, by the fundamental energy accounting process. Any expansion of the energy supply is going to take decades to actually afford, ergo economic activity & growth will be bottle necked by the supply of energy.

Yeah, solar panels as a technology break even on energy sometime this year.

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms13728

Breakeven on greenhouse gasses is sometime next year

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015
nuclear power is good and cool and the only serious power supply option for big cities after fossil fuel and maybe hydro

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!

crazy cloud posted:

Build them in geologically stable places.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

crazy cloud posted:

water is really good at blocking radiation

the soviets threw old nuclear reactors into the ocean for decades and it has had no real environmental effects other than killing any fish that literally swam right into one

the same goes for all the other places where a bunch of nations tossed nuclear waste into the ocean during the 60s

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
oh my god do u want godzillas because thats how u get godzillas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

crazy cloud posted:

i don't even know where to start with how bad nuclear power plants are

not as bad as your posts