Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Coolguye posted:

Yes, this includes all mining grounds and support infrastructure. Renewables still require two orders of magnitude more land. One of the primary benefits to both nuclear and fossil fuels is power density. One strip mine in South Dakota or one disassembled coal mountain in Appalachia can easily generate enough coal to power the entire United States for over a decade. The reason we don't do that is because it costs more than gas, which is even less land hungry. To do this same thing with a solar/wind/hydro mix we would need to devote more land to power generation than we currently do to farming. Entire forests have not been felled and entire habitats are still there because we use fossil fuels and not renewables to keep our lights on. Climate change is a serious problem, but let's not pretend like renewables are universally green. They're not.

This paper comments on the land usage and has a nifty little diagram comparing nuclear, gas, coal, wind, solar and biomass

https://wilderness.org/sites/default/files/legacy/Website-Land%20Use%20and%20Renewable%20Energy%20Generation.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

brugroffil posted:

This paper comments on the land usage and has a nifty little diagram comparing nuclear, gas, coal, wind, solar and biomass

https://wilderness.org/sites/default/files/legacy/Website-Land%20Use%20and%20Renewable%20Energy%20Generation.pdf

Yeah this doesn't look too bad for the renewables. Offshore wind has basically zero meaningful footprint, too.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

short term, nuclear is like the only way we can possibly avoid massive catastrophes related to climate change

long term, renewables are better, but they aren't there yet

it does not matter because the misinformed are terrified of nuclear, and most people are misinformed about most things (see also: fear of gmos, fear of vaccines, president trump happening)

we are gonna piss our planet down our legs because three reactors out of the tens of thousands around the world melted down

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I like nuclear from a technical standpoint, but economically it sucks balls and "short term" is like 15 years and about $10B from "hey lets build a plant" to generating power.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

brugroffil posted:

I like nuclear from a technical standpoint, but economically it sucks balls and "short term" is like 15 years and about $10B from "hey lets build a plant" to generating power.

If only there were things we could do collectively as a society to change any of that.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Nevvy Z posted:

If only there were things we could do collectively as a society to change any of that.

Short of deregulation (gutting safety and security at nukes is a bad idea), probably not. Westinghouse thought they had it figured out with their "standard plant" design but now they're bankrupt.

Unless there's a massive tax on carbon emissions from NG plants, nuclear just isn't economically feasible. That's why a lot of the older, smaller plants are shutting down as their licenses expire rather than filing for renewals.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

brugroffil posted:

the reprecussions of climate change are gonna suck a whole lot more balls economically than replacing our fossil fuel plants with nuclear reactors would

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

like the aim has been keeping temps to a max 2c rise in global average temperatures. the negative effects of even keeping to that ceiling would be huge, and we are in no way on track to keep the global temperature rise to just 2c right now.

nuclear could potentially save us from total catastrophe, and gently caress if idiots are so afraid of meltdowns, just build pebble bed reactors instead, they can't melt down.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
nuclear power had its window of opportunity and it's closed, it's not gonna happen again

I also guarantee that a plant will melt down in China in spectacular fashion at some point

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

hey guys I don't disagree I am a fan of nuclear but I'm just saying economically they're not going to be build because they're a lot more expensive than natural gas! I think that holds true even if you put a decent carbon tax on natural gas.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

LinYutang posted:

nuclear power had its window of opportunity and it's closed, it's not gonna happen again

i mean, you are not wrong but it still sucks. even meltdown-proof pebble bed reactors won't catch on cause people will just hear the word 'nuclear' and freak out.

kinda like how virtually everyone i've ever heard who is anti-nuclear thinks reactors can explode in a hiroshima-sized blast.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

shovelbum posted:

Yeah this doesn't look too bad for the renewables.
those land usage statistics are staggering, i'm not sure what you're looking at there. you couldn't just drop solar cells over a few national parks and call it a day due to the power storage problem, you're going to need the biofuel and wind portions in there too. we already tried the biofuel portion with biodiesel and it caused widespread misery due to rising food prices.

financially racist posted:

i mean, you are not wrong but it still sucks. even meltdown-proof pebble bed reactors won't catch on cause people will just hear the word 'nuclear' and freak out.

kinda like how virtually everyone i've ever heard who is anti-nuclear thinks reactors can explode in a hiroshima-sized blast.

i've heard a lot of proponents of nuclear say that we really need to come up with a new word with regard to the pebble beds because they're as different in terms of both construction and output to a traditional fission plant as a model t is from a lambo. instead of proposing a 'pebble bed nuclear power station' or whatever you call it a thermal reactor or something to emphasize that it's doing much more work by virtue of its temperature vs its neutron activity.

makes sense to me, anyone's guess how well that marketing would take though

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Coolguye posted:

those land usage statistics are staggering, i'm not sure what you're looking at there. you couldn't just drop solar cells over a few national parks and call it a day due to the power storage problem, you're going to need the biofuel and wind portions in there too. we already tried the biofuel portion with biodiesel and it caused widespread misery due to rising food prices.

come on, now you're just being dumb. "drop solar cells over a few national parks." California's managed to figure out how to deploy a fuckload of solar without dropping it on Yosemite or King's Canyon. Much of Nevada and Utah are uninhabited wastelands. Wind has a high land use ratio, but I'm not sure how much those figures consider the mixed usage where you've got turbines plopped down in the middle of farms maybe taking up an acre each out of thousands of acres.

quote:

i've heard a lot of proponents of nuclear say that we really need to come up with a new word with regard to the pebble beds because they're as different in terms of both construction and output to a traditional fission plant as a model t is from a lambo. instead of proposing a 'pebble bed nuclear power station' or whatever you call it a thermal reactor or something to emphasize that it's doing much more work by virtue of its temperature vs its neutron activity.

makes sense to me, anyone's guess how well that marketing would take though

pebble bed and other Gen 4 reactors are cool, but they're all still a ways away from being able to be scaled up to full-size reactors.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i mean the real way for solar to work is to decentralize our power grid and throw solar panels on every loving roof in the country

but lol not gonna happen and we are gonna keep relying on fossil fuels for decades even though we have the potential to switch away from them right the gently caress now

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

short term, nuclear is like the only way we can possibly avoid massive catastrophes related to climate change

long term, renewables are better, but they aren't there yet

it does not matter because the misinformed are terrified of nuclear, and most people are misinformed about most things (see also: fear of gmos, fear of vaccines, president trump happening)

we are gonna piss our planet down our legs because three reactors out of the tens of thousands around the world melted down

Someone said this above but there literally is no 'short term' for nuclear power in the US. Some benevolent dictator could take control tomorrow and decree that we are going to build 300GW of nuclear capacity and it wouldn't begin to make an impact until like maybe 2030.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

i mean the real way for solar to work is to decentralize our power grid and throw solar panels on every loving roof in the country

but lol not gonna happen and we are gonna keep relying on fossil fuels for decades even though we have the potential to switch away from them right the gently caress now

That could really help for residential and to some extent commercial, but it wouldn't be too helpful for industrial.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Turns out opposing nuclear power at every opportunity wasn't really good environmental policy

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

brugroffil posted:

That could really help for residential and to some extent commercial, but it wouldn't be too helpful for industrial.

industrial needs nukes or where available, geothermal

but again this is all pointless musing because we are not going to change what we are doing and climatologists will continue finding more evidence that their predictions were conservative and everything is grtting worse faster than they predicted

the ship sailed on doing anything to save the climate a long-rear end time ago, like literally our best hope at this point is a fuckin solar shade, that's how hosed we are

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

brugroffil posted:

come on, now you're just being dumb. "drop solar cells over a few national parks." California's managed to figure out how to deploy a fuckload of solar without dropping it on Yosemite or King's Canyon. Much of Nevada and Utah are uninhabited wastelands. Wind has a high land use ratio, but I'm not sure how much those figures consider the mixed usage where you've got turbines plopped down in the middle of farms maybe taking up an acre each out of thousands of acres.
california's power mix is still 7.7% solar. natural gas has a smaller footprint in land in california even when you include the mining zones out of state and produces almost 8x the gigawatt hours. to scale solar you would, in fact, probably be forced into dropping solar stations into yosemite. it's also pretty bad growth economically because solar farms deployed in california currently generate more money in subsidy than they do in power. expensive power isn't an ephemeral problem, it means more expensive electric bills which hurt the poor disproportionately.

turbines plopped into farmland is just as bad as wilderness because the farm will then be producing less food or clothing fiber to suit other basic needs. you will not be putting down a single wind turbine because that's pointless; the electrical equipment you need to hook it up to will cost more than the turbine itself and make it completely infeasible economically. the entire reason large scale wind farms are the preferred way of doing wind is because you can collectivize these needs and capture an economy of scale. as such, you will either displace a fair bit of farmland (and the farm will grow in other ways, still displacing wildlands) or reduce cereal and cotton outputs, which means more expensive food and clothing. which again, hurt the poor much, much more than anyone else.

Coolguye has issued a correction as of 18:11 on Apr 26, 2017

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Coolguye posted:

california's power mix is still 7.7% solar. natural gas has a smaller footprint in land in california even when you include the mining zones out of state and produces almost 8x the gigawatt hours. to scale solar you would, in fact, probably be forced into dropping solar stations into yosemite.

No, that is still dumb, and nobody is actually advocating for 100% solar.

quote:

turbines plopped into farmland is just as bad as wilderness because the farm will then be producing less food or clothing fiber to suit other basic needs. you will not be putting down a single wind turbine because that's pointless; the electrical equipment you need to hook it up to will cost more than the turbine itself and make it completely infeasible economically. the entire reason large scale wind farms are the preferred way of doing wind is because you can collectivize these needs and capture an economy of scale.

I didn't say anything about a single wind turbine wind farm? I live in the midwest and we have plenty of these. The turbine footprint takes up a negligible amount of acreage when you're dealing with commercial sized farms. Wind farms are huge in total acreage because of how far apart the turbines need to be spaced, but a "10,000 acre wind farm" is probably only really taking up 10 acres of actual farmland and the rest is perfectly farmable. If you're talking about out west, then it's just turbines on rocky hills that aren't be farmed anyway or can still easily be used for livestock grazing.

e: It's not like we have a farmland shortage so talking about how we'll be producing less food due to wind turbines is crazy.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

they wanted to build a windfarm in some hills in upstate ny a while ago and nimbys blocked it from happening, like that is an actual major hurdle for wind farms as dumb as that is

iirc something similar happened off cape cod too

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

brugroffil posted:

No, that is still dumb, and nobody is actually advocating for 100% solar.
neither was i. it would be part of the mix, certainly, but the problem is already accentuated at a very minor portion of the mix. it's cost people a lot and has delivered very little benefit. even a doubling of the current mix would have some serious land use ramifications.

quote:

I didn't say anything about a single wind turbine wind farm? I live in the midwest and we have plenty of these. The turbine footprint takes up a negligible amount of acreage when you're dealing with commercial sized farms.
maybe i misinterpreted you when you said 'an acre out of thousands of acres' but that sounded an awful lot like a one turbine farm.

quote:

Wind farms are huge in total acreage because of how far apart the turbines need to be spaced, but a "10,000 acre wind farm" is probably only really taking up 10 acres of actual farmland and the rest is perfectly farmable. If you're talking about out west, then it's just turbines on rocky hills that aren't be farmed anyway or can still easily be used for livestock grazing.
this is completely untrue, tens of thousands of acres of farm and pastureland were displaced in northern oklahoma to make room for their wind farms and it's resulted in a large net GDP loss for the state because, once again, the turbines generated more value in subsidy (which ended) than the electricity they produced.

quote:

e: It's not like we have a farmland shortage so talking about how we'll be producing less food due to wind turbines is crazy.
we don't if you don't mind putting more wildlands under the plow, but that's the entire point here. we are already appropriating so much of the land mass of the planet that it's arguably unsustainable even as is. biodiversity collapse is a gigantic ecological problem and humans can desertify tens of thousands of square miles by just loving around in one breeding ground they didn't even know was there and causing chain reactions through the food chains.

i think cape cod happened because the test models ended up killing a few dozen golden eagles and they couldn't figure out how to not have the project kill off the local beloved charismatic megafauna. i might be mixing that up with one of the eastern seaboard projects tho.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

brugroffil posted:

hey guys I don't disagree I am a fan of nuclear but I'm just saying economically they're not going to be build because they're a lot more expensive than natural gas! I think that holds true even if you put a decent carbon tax on natural gas.

"the free market would never allow nuclear power to exist" I insist, as oil billionaires simultaneously poison my air and water and crush my testicles with a bucket excavator

power production doesn't need to be profitable

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

they wanted to build a windfarm in some hills in upstate ny a while ago and nimbys blocked it from happening, like that is an actual major hurdle for wind farms as dumb as that is

they've been trying to offshore wind farms in New England for years but it turns out the kind of rich dipshits who think their beach house views would be ruined by the existence of windmills have more combined political influence than everyone else

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Why do we leave power generation and other utilities to the free market? Power and the infrastructure to support it is a good example of a public good that should be heavily managed by a government entity.

Well, I mean I know *why* we leave it to market forces - people who were rich and wanted to get *more* rich argued that we should and no one with any significant power argued the other way - but I don't know why people continue to think thats a good and cool thing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fullhouse posted:

"the free market would never allow nuclear power to exist" I insist, as oil billionaires simultaneously poison my air and water and crush my testicles with a bucket excavator

power production doesn't need to be profitable

it does, however, still need to be affordable to the end consumer unless we're fine with telling the poor they can live without heating, cooling, and refrigeration.

Not a Step posted:

Why do we leave power generation and other utilities to the free market? Power and the infrastructure to support it is a good example of a public good that should be heavily managed by a government entity.

Well, I mean I know *why* we leave it to market forces - people who were rich and wanted to get *more* rich argued that we should and no one with any significant power argued the other way - but I don't know why people continue to think thats a good and cool thing.

power companies are already so beholden to the state that arguably state politicians have more control over their affairs than their own management boards. it's a little bit like the fannie mae poo poo. yeah, okay, sure, ostensibly fannie mae is private, but nobody REALLY believes that.

even here in kansas, aka libertarilandia under brownback, sunflower energy had to promise to retire two busted-rear end coal-fired power plants before the state would okay a single modern coal plant because a couple state senators were sick and tired of the pollution and radiation complaints from their constituents. sunflower also routinely signs contracts to keep energy prices under a certain dollar amount because the government doesn't want to loving hear about 'supply and demand' if some cumdrinker decides to spike prices so they effectively force price fixing on the utility. again, this is KANSAS.

Coolguye has issued a correction as of 18:54 on Apr 26, 2017

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Coolguye posted:

it does, however, still need to be affordable to the end consumer unless we're fine with telling the poor they can live without heating, cooling, and refrigeration.

power companies are already so beholden to the state that arguably state politicians have more control over their affairs than their own management boards. it's a little bit like the fannie mae poo poo. yeah, okay, sure, ostensibly fannie mae is private, but nobody REALLY believes that.

if the state directly controls power generation and distribution they can charge whatever the hell they want for it, don't give me this "good energy is bad... for the poor!!!" talking point poo poo

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fullhouse posted:

if the state directly controls power generation and distribution they can charge whatever the hell they want for it, don't give me this "good energy is bad... for the poor!!!" talking point poo poo

so what is your idea here, that taxes pay for energy generation? who is going to shoulder those taxes, because like every other tax it sure won't be the rich

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i mean most people who want power to be more publicly controlled also want to greatly increase taxes on the rich, so

also i have less than zero faith that the current conditions power companies operate under are in any way beneficial to the end user. imo anything as important as our power grid must be socialized (see also: food supply, telecommunications etc.).

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Coolguye posted:

so what is your idea here, that taxes pay for energy generation? who is going to shoulder those taxes, because like every other tax it sure won't be the rich

Well, the poor *already* pay for power generation, so this seems like an excuse to do nothing?

If power companies are already beholden to the state why not just take the extra step and make the state directly responsible so we know who to blame and demand action from?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

i mean most people who want power to be more publicly controlled also want to greatly increase taxes on the rich, so

also i have less than zero faith that the current conditions power companies operate under are in any way beneficial to the end user. imo anything as important as our power grid must be socialized (see also: food supply, telecommunications etc.).

they make more money by spending tons on questionably useful capital projects and lobbying their state boards for rate increases!

TVA already owns and operators several nuclear plants, and publicly owned utilities are at least partial owners of many other ones including Santee Cooper who controls much (all?) of SC's electrical grid and has a stake in VC Summer.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the power grid itself is socialized in that taxes pay for power transmission, the only thing that's private are the generation stations and they literally cannot function unless every politician involved in the area is happy with them. i honestly don't see what nationalizing the generation stations would really do unless you think government dial-twiddlers are somehow inherently more competent or virtuous than corporate stooges, in which case that's a philosophical argument that could go both ways by bringing up the whole 'market incentive to innovate' thing and ugh i'm tired of that back and forth

Not a Step posted:

Well, the poor *already* pay for power generation, so this seems like an excuse to do nothing?

If power companies are already beholden to the state why not just take the extra step and make the state directly responsible so we know who to blame and demand action from?
the short form is because it's easier to annihilate a recalcitrant utility company than it is to perform a government purge. which has happened, sunflower is only as big a thing in kansas because their predecessors absolutely refused to move to natural gas back in 2005 when it started becoming a thing so the state just revoked their license to operate in the state until someone less lovely came along.

e: i guess this is kinda the same thing as asking, if defense contractors are already beholden to the DoD, why doesn't the DoD just do all its research itself?

answer because management is really hard and the government gets geometrically worse at it the more it has to do

Coolguye has issued a correction as of 19:16 on Apr 26, 2017

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

yeah the government uses contractors and public-private partnerships out of respect for market innovations and from fear of bureaucratic inefficiency and definitely not because Ayn Rand acolytes have been screaming about the government butting into their profit margins since the new deal

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i mean sprawling bureaucracies are basically synonymous with decadent stasis and inefficiency and that was true before rand was even born so kinda? just look at the ming dynasty or the byzantine empire

government being bad at certain things isn't new or controversial, there's no need to make this into a randian dystopia lol

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Coolguye posted:

i mean sprawling bureaucracies are basically synonymous with decadent stasis and inefficiency and that was true before rand was even born so kinda? just look at the ming dynasty or the byzantine empire

government being bad at certain things isn't new or controversial, there's no need to make this into a randian dystopia lol

let me tell you about the finely tuned bureaucracies that are California utilities companies

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Coolguye posted:

this implies that private companies are ever better at this poo poo than governments are and just lmao if you really think that is the case

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

brugroffil posted:

let me tell you about the finely tuned bureaucracies that are California utilities companies

a well oiled machine, they is

this implies that private companies are ever better at this poo poo than governments are and just lmao if you really think that is the case
nah like i said there's no real difference between a corporate stooge and a government bean counter, the only hope they have of doing any better is by virtue of being smaller than the government

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
nuclear power is stupidly expensive in the US both because of the inevitable lawsuits from retards and because for some dumb reason nuclear regulations in this country are designed purposely around a concept called ratcheting, meaning they always get tighter but are never supposed to be loosened

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

did anyone say thorium yet? or thorium salt reactor?

those are the cool kids of nuclear power and i wanna hang out with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

other reactors have such fragile egos that if you mess with them even slightly you get a radioactive hot-take floating over half the country

thorium would just sit back and chill tho

• Locked thread