Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

they have someone who can fix it, and she's standing right there

She's not a priest; she can only animate the dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I mean, his hand only got better after dying, imagine how much better the rest of him will be!

I miss Rita doing stuff more often because it's always gross and good.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Sindai posted:

I mean, his hand only got better after dying, imagine how much better the rest of him will be!

I miss Rita doing stuff more often because it's always gross and good.

I enjoy that it's kind of sparse. It makes every time she does solve a problem so fun.

There Bias Two posted:

I feel like the plot and characterization is falling really flat here in the final stretch, but I'll be damned if it isn't well executed and entertaining anyway. The show is just fun to watch, regardless of what's happening and I think that has a lot of merit in itself.
:agreed:

I think a lot of it is this: the animation is fantastic. They really small movements of the body, especially the eyes and face. EG: When Favaro is looking at Kaisar's mangled body, he looks so... old. Even if the plot goes off the rails, you can always empathize with the characters - they feel like people, no matter how weird or contrived the situations get.

I love Kaisar & hope he finds a way to live through this, but I think it might really be the end for him. :rip:, you were too pure (and dumb) for this world

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
yeah the show is real entertaining but the writing has taken a nosedive in the past few episodes. like is anyone actually rooting for the nina/charioce ship beyond rooting for her to run over him with a giant airship? favoro trying to justify genocidal fuckers actions that detained him for years in a forced labor camp? charioce's idiotic idea to revive bahamut right when an existential battle for his country kicks off?? all dumb

but rita still owns

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Nina is cool, Charioce is bad. If they were aiming for morally ambiguous with him they missed.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I don't think Charioce chose to have this happen right now so much as couple important timers hitting zero at the worst possible moment.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

They still need to explain why he never could tell this plan to anyone, I mean you'd think most everyone would of been on board without the genocide etc.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
of all the weaknesses in the writing of this slow show, that is not one of them. it's a good bet most people would not be on board with the super destructive force of bahamut being revived, even if his final destruction was promised

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Relin posted:

of all the weaknesses in the writing of this slow show, that is not one of them. it's a good bet most people would not be on board with the super destructive force of bahamut being revived, even if his final destruction was promised

But the whole reason they are doing it is that he was going to break free any day now anyway.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I think it's fair to say that Bahamut waking up = the end of the world is most people in this world's mind. You have to have supreme confidence in Charioce to think his plan isn't completely insane, and if you tell people the big B is going to wake up any day now anyway they'll just freak the gently caress out instead of doing something useful.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The question is why he had to go to the trouble of antagonizing the gods and oppressing the demons to free and kill Bahamut sooner instead of, like, taking more time to do basically anything else e.g. maybe finding ways that do not require war and war crimes. Bahamut's not going anywhere until he breaks free. The entire plan seems to be made to execute the kill ASAP but for no seeming advantage re: the actual goal (whether you consider war with the gods a side benefit or a side problem is separate).

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Caphi posted:

The question is why he had to go to the trouble of antagonizing the gods and oppressing the demons to free and kill Bahamut sooner instead of, like, taking more time to do basically anything else e.g. maybe finding ways that do not require war and war crimes. Bahamut's not going anywhere until he breaks free. The entire plan seems to be made to execute the kill ASAP but for no seeming advantage re: the actual goal (whether you consider war with the gods a side benefit or a side problem is separate).

if we assume Bahamut would take a similar time to revive as he did last time we could be talking about hundreds or thousands of years. He wants revenge for it killing his mother and he'll be long dead if you wait for it to revive normally.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think charioce is the kind of guy to trust future generations to get stuff done. and he's probably correct about that, since aside from the dumbasses who unsealed bahamut every other angel, demon and human was content to completely ignore bahamut's existence.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
what a poo poo ending

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I knew I should have faith in Rita. :allears:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That was completely terrible. Hell, even Kaiser who apparently found peace in death, couldn't even have that.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Y'know, I'd be sort of okay with most of it if it weren't for that one scene proclaiming Charioce remained a King and a hero, and just outside are the demons being friendly and helping fix the city I'm assuming they're now going to live in. There's no resentment? They're okay with Charioce? Did he really have to stay as ruler in this ending? Dude's still a monster and I feel like the show forgot about that midway through. Hell, he was still presented as a villain a couple of episodes ago.

e: Part of me is still happy to see Kaiser still around in some form, at least. He deserves a better ending than dying to protect Charioce, despite the intentions he had.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 29, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I've fallen behind and not really sure I'll pick it back up.

What boy does Nina kiss??

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

the worst one

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

There should be more fallout from genocide/slavery then blindness, especially when you get a girl you don't deserve out of it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea they really dropped the ball on charioce hard

the final confrontation with bahamut was pretty disappointing as well

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

El Burbo posted:

the worst one

gah!

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Bah, what an ending. Anyone else get the sense that they only had this half-written before they started production?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It turns out, Nina does indeed have trash taste.

Should have stuck with Azazel or Kaiser.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Maera Sior posted:

Bah, what an ending. Anyone else get the sense that they only had this half-written before they started production?

I get the feeling that they didn't expect to get renewed for another season going in

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I assume they were going to try Charioce for all the war crimes and then Nina made a really cute face so they let him off with a firm scolding.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I watched this show on Genesis' credit and it was a huge mistake.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I get the feeling that they didn't expect to get renewed for another season going in

I thought this was announced as 2 cours.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
What a mess.This show is capable of being great. There were great individual episodes. What happened?

Despite it all, I still want to see the continuing adventures of Favaro, Rita, and Z-Kaisar.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Somehow all the characters just became super inconsistent as the season went on. It reeks of being made up on the fly. It's a shame because of the great production value.

I'm pretty sure they retconned all the evil poo poo Charioce got up to mid-season or something. I hate this

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm happy for Bacchus.

That's about it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nina posted:

Somehow all the characters just became super inconsistent as the season went on. It reeks of being made up on the fly. It's a shame because of the great production value.

I'm pretty sure they retconned all the evil poo poo Charioce got up to mid-season or something. I hate this

They must have had an issue with the writers. Everything else was fine, but something went horribly wrong with the story.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It feels like they wanted to do a twist of "Okay maybe your first love isn't necessarily True Love", but then they realised that the fans thought Charioce was super hot and they'd burn down the studio if he turned out to be the bad guy in the end, so they did a handbrake turn and the entire plot just kept swerving back and forth like mad.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

They spent 80% of the series obsessing/following over Mugaro/El then he basically does nothing then dies forcing Jeanne to get an army together that attacks the King then just kinda gives up once Bahamut shows up then I guess lets him live afterwards it all felt very pointless.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
At least the Hippogriff maintained character continuity throughout, and at the end was to me the most interesting character.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My thoughts on Bahamut VS cour 2.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
What a mess this show turned into.

The first half was so good, and the talent is still there in the individual scenes but the plot took a nosedive after the first cour and never recovered.

Genesis also got a touch messy at the end but never to this extent, and they nailed the ending. I'm more disappointed than anything.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i was rooting for bahamut to kill everyone but rita in that episode

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i was really looking forward to this show, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
it was really solid for the first cour and the dragon town episode and then just started unravelling more and more and like 90% of the story problems could be blamed on insisting on the horrific nina/charioce ship and trying to contort themselves around it

• Locked thread