Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Garlic gives me rashes. I am a vampire. Waaaahoooooohohoooohohoooooaaaaaaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The power of cloves compels you! *Sprinkles garlic infused oil*

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Thanks OP,
I didn't need any encouragement to enjoy garlic but the mental image of Hitler crying over freshly chopped garlic will add some delicious saltiness.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
there is a garlic-centered bar in stockholm. it's great.

http://www.garlicandshots.com/

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I love garlic but I can sort of understand the hate from people who aren't into it. With people who like the flavor we just sorta include it in every dish and don't mind flinging more and more at it, people joke about including a bulb for every recommended clove but that's honestly not too far off what we do. I never really saw the flaw with this till I met someone who did the same thing with ginger. For the uninitiated, in eastern medicine ginger is basically a 'superfood' and beyond that it's a p standard seasoning so people who like it will go super overboard and flood everything they cook with it in much the same way i just go through bulbs of garlic for everything i make.

At the end of the day it can be important to acknowledge that "strong" is really only better in the context of you being super into the overpowering flavor.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
garlic and ginger is a boss move

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Hells yeah, i could go for some garlic honey and ginger chicken.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Rare steak and giant garlic mushrooms.

Also just take the outer papery layer from a whole bulb, cut the top off, drizzle it with olive oil and roast it at about 200C for 30 minutes. Just squeeze it onto nice bread and go breathe on people. It's great with Red wine and cheese and things of that ilk.

I love garlic.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 24, 2017

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

twoday posted:

I love garlic

same

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER
People who don't want to like things are stupid.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Grill a portabello mushroom whole, with about a spoonfool of olive oil in the folds. Throw in finely chopped garlic and a slight dab of pepper and whatever you have on hand. A bit too vegan but still delicious.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Hey kids! Beware of nazis!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Snatch Duster posted:

Garlic gives me rashes. I am a vampire. Waaaahoooooohohoooohohoooooaaaaaaaaa
A vampire, or a nazi...? Hmm.

Just asking questions.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm currently working on a garlic hardtack baked in the shape of a spike.
This should work on the Nazi vampire infestation we're experiencing.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Garlic is too spicy sometimes because it burns your mouth a bit. I dont like to eat unpleasant things it sounds masochistic. Ill occasionally do anbit of garlic out of respect if its italian night.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

garlic bread :swoon:

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Garlic can be too spicy to be honest.

Keep the pieces bigger. The finer the chop, the more chemical spicy compounds created and more surface area to get all up in your taste buds. Whole roast a head a of garlic and it'll be sweet and delicious and spread like butter.

Also, don't use old garlic especially once it's started sprouting. It'll just end up tasting like bitter fire.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

garlic 101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y5h1pDHhzs

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Hi twoday

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
i found a bulb of garlic once when i opened a cupboard in my house.

well that's my tale of terror.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

lol at the name/post

are you from the midwest? as I understand it the only thing "spicier" than sugar that you can handle is brown sugar

garlic is god

I have no science behind this except experience but midwestern/northeastern garlic is spicier and more pungent than west coast garlic. I assume it has to do with sulfur levels in the soil, like onions vs Walla Walla/Vidalia onions. All the grocery store garlic is California-grown now which I don't think was the case 10 years ago.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

quote:

The Communist Manifesto, written by Karl Mark and Friederich Engels, was published on this date in 1848. (Marx was 30 years old at the time, thus this picture of young Marx seems more apt than the iconic gray bearded image.) Marx’s father converted from Judaism to Protestantism after his son was born and young Karl was baptized in 1824 and grew up in an anti-Semitic environment. This didn’t stop Neue Rheinische Zietung correspondent Eduard von Muller-Tellering from calling Marx “a conceited Jew” who “perspired democratic garlic.”

While the menace of anti-Semitism in Europe grew throughout the 19th century, the idea of a foetor Judaicus (Jewish stink) was not new. It was used in medieval Europe to differentiate “the base and odorous Jews” from “the pure, sweet-smelling Christians.” Some Christians believed that Jewish people were responsible for the death of Jesus and had him crucified so they could use his blood to get rid of the foetor Judaicus.

The Nazis called on science to explain the smell of the Jew. In the periodical Forschungen fur Judenfrage (Researches on the Jewish Problem), Baron Otmar von Verschuer wrote, “It has also been claimed by various sources that the Jews are characterized by a particular ‘racial scent’ ... it is difficult to judge what is attributable in this regard to environmental influences, such as living quarters, clothing, occupational activity, cleaning of the body and the composition of food; one need only think of the consumption of garlic, which the Jews like.”

The garlic plant was so indelibly associated with Jews that the Nazis issued buttons with pictures of garlic bulbs so wearers could broadcast their ardent anti- Semitism. According to historian Mark Graubard, "The mere mention of garlic by a Nazi orator caused the crowd to howl with fury and hatred."

Labels: Anti-Semitism, Communist Manifesto, Friedrich Engels, GARLIC; foetor Judaicus, Karl Marx, Nazis

twoday fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 24, 2017

twoday
May 4, 2005

Hello friend, have a refreshing beverage

twoday fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 24, 2017

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

There was a brief time in Northern Europe before people got used to food with taste when there was a stereotype that those shifty degos smelled of garlic and that was a bad thing.

Yeah garlic owns and I don't notice garlic smell on people. There was a kid who remarked that I "smelled like tacos" when I'd eaten a lot of garlic for lunch once. Poor kid, his mom is a terrible cook.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Apparently if you don't eat garlic yourself the smell is really noticeable on others, a problem which can be solved if everybody eats garlic

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Give this man a medal!
And some garlic too.

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
Garlic is OK but people who talk about how much they love it are like bacon and science memers

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
i'm hissing and turning into a bat as we speak, is this normal?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

The power of cloves compels you! *Sprinkles garlic infused oil*

gently caress bacon, garlic goes with anything.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 24, 2017

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Choppin up my garlic. Don't know whether to use 1 or 2 cloves guys.

4 cloves

idiot

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

lorn Wayne posted:

i'm hissing and turning into a bat as we speak, is this normal?

Have you considered severing your head and stuffing it full of garlic? I hear it helps some other sufferers of this unfortunate condition.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
i like cumin

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I like cummin cumin

it sorta burns but in a good way

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Grevling posted:

There was a brief time in Northern Europe before people got used to food with taste when there was a stereotype that those shifty degos smelled of garlic and that was a bad thing.

Yeah garlic owns and I don't notice garlic smell on people. There was a kid who remarked that I "smelled like tacos" when I'd eaten a lot of garlic for lunch once. Poor kid, his mom is a terrible cook.

Well if you eat a LOT of garlic youll smell like it in the morning, it definitely comes out in your BO. And smelling EVERYONE around you used to be a normal thing in europe until bathing and deodorant really took off in the late 20th century. So it's not a stretch to imagine that poor people fleeing garlic countries to the south might have smelled pretty bad and of garlic

PS- that weird indian/pakistani smell is asafoetida, known fondly to the british imperialists as devil's dung

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
i like when girls have a bit of BO because i'm a loving sicko freak, but hey whatever. like if we've been hiking all day and we start fooling around girls are like "ew i need to shower first" but i do not want them to

also i need a good garlic marinade for chicken drumsticks. whats the trick here, I'm pulverizing like 6 cloves of garlic to get it to soak into the olive oil more, but even after marinating for 6+ hours it doesn't really impart much of the garlic into the chicken at all. the other spices will get in there and can be tasted after they're cooked, but for some reason the garlic flavor just doesn't stick around

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

You could cut the chicken and rub crushed garlic directly in there before cooking it.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Tumble posted:

i like when girls have a bit of BO because i'm a loving sicko freak, but hey whatever. like if we've been hiking all day and we start fooling around girls are like "ew i need to shower first" but i do not want them to

also i need a good garlic marinade for chicken drumsticks. whats the trick here, I'm pulverizing like 6 cloves of garlic to get it to soak into the olive oil more, but even after marinating for 6+ hours it doesn't really impart much of the garlic into the chicken at all. the other spices will get in there and can be tasted after they're cooked, but for some reason the garlic flavor just doesn't stick around
try one whole head of garlic minced fine mixed with half vinegar half soy sauce with some bay leaves and black pepper corns tossed in (the vinegar helps because the garlic's flavor is mostly carried by its own oil, which the vinegar breaks up)

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Tumble posted:

lmao

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

You could cut the chicken and rub crushed garlic directly in there before cooking it.

a hole-y ghost posted:

try one whole head of garlic minced fine mixed with half vinegar half soy sauce with some bay leaves and black pepper corns tossed in (the vinegar helps because the garlic's flavor is mostly carried by its own oil, which the vinegar breaks up)

I tried these and it worked for chicken breasts but not drumsticks or legs. But that's pretty much my marinade! i also throw in a bit of fish sauce and a teaspoon of ginger miso paste

I think my next step is going to be putting into the processor and making it a spicy garlicky smoothie type of consistency. Then I'll just shove more garlic and herbs in until it finally works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Tumble posted:

I tried these and it worked for chicken breasts but not drumsticks or legs. But that's pretty much my marinade! i also throw in a bit of fish sauce and a teaspoon of ginger miso paste
who would use adobo marinade for chicken breasts (except as part of a whole chicken)... you monster

e: also, miso? ginger? get that weeb poo poo out of there

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 24, 2017

• Locked thread