Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

vseslav.botkin posted:

The only thing that ever really bothered me about The Prestige is the very end, where we have that pan to the tank with Angiers in it with Caine's closing speech about how you want to be... fooled. I feel like it's set up as though we're supposed to be shocked by what we see, or that there's something missing in what we've seen that we didn't realize until now? I mean, they've just explained what's going on, and it's been obvious for a reasonably perceptive viewer ever since the new trick started.

I think this part is meant to mirror the bird trick at the start, where the kid sees through the illusion that there were two birds, and they killed one for the trick. For the trick to work it's magic, you have to blind yourself to the fact that the bird dies.

Similarly, at the end, they give very clear hints as to what's going on with Angier's trick. Either you don't catch on and his dead clones are the twist, or you catch on and you hope it isn't true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Doesn't Borden also talk at the beginning about a sweet tricks he's working on that the world isn't ready for?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Artelier posted:

I think this part is meant to mirror the bird trick at the start, where the kid sees through the illusion that there were two birds, and they killed one for the trick. For the trick to work it's magic, you have to blind yourself to the fact that the bird dies.

This is exactly it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can't get over the way Bale says 'rubber ball'. He says it like 5 times and it cracks me up.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Rubbah Bowl

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Much like Jason Statham, Bale is an English person who sounds utterly absurd doing an English accent.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

vseslav.botkin posted:

The only thing that ever really bothered me about The Prestige is the very end, where we have that pan to the tank with Angiers in it with Caine's closing speech about how you want to be... fooled. I feel like it's set up as though we're supposed to be shocked by what we see, or that there's something missing in what we've seen that we didn't realize until now? I mean, they've just explained what's going on, and it's been obvious for a reasonably perceptive viewer ever since the new trick started.

The "fooled" part of that is spoken by Angiers' voice rather than Caine's, making the person wonder if Angiers didn't actually kill all of his clones immediately for the trick. Maybe Lord Cordlow was living it up the whole time ever since he met Tesla and realized he could have it all.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Maybe Lord Cordlow was living it up the whole time ever since he met Tesla and realized he could have it all.

To him, at this point in life, having it all is the applause and recognition. If he can't have that, he might as well be dead.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sir Kodiak posted:

To him, at this point in life, having it all is the applause and recognition. If he can't have that, he might as well be dead.

That is most certainly the case for the Angiers that got shot.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

vseslav.botkin posted:

That actually ruins the whole movie for me. It's as dumb as most of Interstellar.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

SimonCat posted:

We're never told what the guy saw before that qualified as "real magic." But it's the same as Borden's trick. It's reality, but it's too simple so that audience doesn't know have time to react. You see this all the time in the real world. You can show someone a wonder of technology and it's boring.

Look at space travel. We put people on the moon! In orbit! But it's lot of bureaucracy and processes, it's not exciting unless you dress it up.

Hence, Interstellar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So I showed my girlfriend The Prestige yesterday. She'd never seen it, but she was convinced that the writer had seen this old cartoon. We watched it right after, and while I don't think the writer watched it, it's way too similar. It's an old Canadian cartoon from 1990, called "To Be" by John Welden.
https://youtu.be/pdxucpPq6Lc
It's the old Star Trek transporter argument. I like the black humor in this one.

• Locked thread