Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peg Sliderskew
... I'm not going to post without using correct punctuation. I'm afraid that's just how I 'roll'.

So I hope everyone is cool with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

hockey jockey posted:

... I'm not going to post without using correct punctuation. I'm afraid that's just how I 'roll'.

That's totally fine. I suggest we all use proper punctuation in this thread to welcome hockey jockey in style.

FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless

I guess what you should ask yourself is: do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punc

FactsAreUseless

tuator?

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude
No amount of super glue will put hockey jockey back together.. Ouch.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

<3 <3 Vanisher

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Peg Sliderskew

Please change GUY to GAL, I refuse to accept a factually incorrect permaban.

Courtesy of Manifisto

Manifisto

hey op, history teaches that the most successful way to introduce a foreign concept to a cultural group is to integrate it into an idea or practice that is already widely accepted. you may, for example, find more success saying things like "accurate punctuation gets you really high" or "correct quote marks look like little sixes and little nines, when you quote properly you're really writing the funny sex number lol".

ty nesamdoom!

Peg Sliderskew
Oh, I don't want other people to punctuate properly if they don't feel the need. I just want to be accepted for who I am. Someone with ludicrously rigid standards of punctuation and capitalisation, but also a massive inferiority complex.

Courtesy of Manifisto

birds

+1 respect to hockey jockey from this poster

thanks hogge wild!

Peg Sliderskew

birds posted:

Courtesy of Manifisto

Robot Made of Meat

I too punctuate and capatalize. It's such a habit that I find it difficult not to do it.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Plebian Parasite

I?m going to use punctuation as well""" but it won.t be correct(((

Manifisto

birds posted:

same except plus one

DragQueenofAngmar

You shall not pass!
ive found that many posting styles are welcome here friend :)

cda

by Hand Knit
Everyone has a distinct posting "voice." If yours involves proper punctuation and spelling, more power to you. My involves using steganography to communicate with my terrorist cell.

----------------

BoldFrankensteinMir

There's room for all kinds here. For example, I reject the traditional interrobang (?!) and instead use the improper exclamaquiz (!?). And yet no villagers have chased me out with pitchforks...yet...

Peg Sliderskew

Robot Made of Meat posted:

I too punctuate and capatalize. It's such a habit that I find it difficult not to do it.

It is a good habit, Beefbot! Can I call you Beefbot? I don't have a problem with contractions or nicknames, I'm not weird!

Courtesy of Manifisto

Peg Sliderskew

Plebian Parasite posted:

I?m going to use punctuation as well""" but it won.t be correct(((

Transgressive :argh:

Everyone else, thank you for the warm waves of acceptance I can feel rolling around in this thread.

Courtesy of Manifisto

Robot Made of Meat

hockey jockey posted:

It is a good habit, Beefbot! Can I call you Beefbot? I don't have a problem with contractions or nicknames, I'm not weird!

You may indeed call me such a thing.

hockey jockey posted:

Everyone else, thank you for the warm waves of acceptance I can feel rolling around in this thread.

Warm and accepting is pretty much the BYOB way.

vanisher

Listen Mx.Jockey, you don't just stroll in here with your impeccible grammar and posting and start making everyone feel like they need to perhaps improve their own contributions and... Oh wait this is a good thing nevermind.

vanisher

Manifisto posted:

"accurate punctuation gets you really high" or "correct quote marks look like little sixes and little nines, when you quote properly you're really writing the funny sex number lol".

Macnult

lol

birds posted:

:same:

Macnult

I try so freaking hard to post without punctuation but autocorrect keeps ducking me over on mobile and there's no way I'm turning it off either

Macnult

*sweating feverishly*

crap, should I use asterisks or brackets?

Macnult

a few byob posting tips:

- chill
- :justpost:
- some other third thing

vanisher

Macnult posted:

a few byob posting tips:

- chill
- :justpost:
- some other third thing

SHY NUDIST GRRL

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

hockey jockey posted:

I should probate you on the spot for putting a period after quotes

Robot Made of Meat

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It's a British thing, I hear. If she's not British, probe away!

Rushi

by Smythe

hahaha at the byob colors

----------------

Jabarto

I could do with your...assistance.
I like BYOB precisely because I don't need correct punctuation but you seem like a cool guy, OP, so I'll make an exception for you. :)

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude

Uxzuigal posted:

No amount of super glue will put hockey jockey back together.. Ouch.

Now I need glue :(

<3 <3 Vanisher

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless
I really like byob butt

Peg Sliderskew

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yes, I am British, but how would an American punctuate it? I'm sensing an Oxbridge research grant in this!!*

*Two exclamation marks are not really pukka grammar, but are used here to indicate excitement in the absence of spoken cues.

Courtesy of Manifisto

alnilam

In AE a period or comma always goes inside quotes. Question marks and !s can go inside or outside depending on e.g. if the person you're quoting was asking a question vs if you're asking a question about what they're saying

She asked, "can I post with punctuation here?"
vs
Did she just say "I'm going to post in byob with punctuation"?

Peg Sliderskew

alnilam posted:

In AE a period or comma always goes inside quotes. Question marks and !s can go inside or outside depending on e.g. if the person you're quoting was asking a question vs if you're asking a question about what they're saying

She asked, "can I post with punctuation here?"
vs
Did she just say "I'm going to post in byob with punctuation"?

That's the same in the UK if you're quoting something someone said but in the case of using quote marks to denote a slang word usage the punctuation goes outside, as the end of the sentence is without (in the sense of outside of) the slang word.

I mean, like, 'duh'!

Sorry, did that sound really rude? Being British is a huge burden manners-wise.

Courtesy of Manifisto

Twenty Four

I stand proud, a classy cocktail in hand and dressed to the nines, dictating all of my posts to a super cool dog who is my posting buddy and transcribes all of my posts for me as I thoughtfully pace the room.

So if my posts lack proper punctuation, grammar, or spelling, it is on the dog, but it is totally un-BYOB to have a problem with a dog that cool, so I am off the hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death sext

the diesel posting machines that are my hands lack the finesse for shift buttons and periods but ill give noogies for your right to post good

• Locked thread