Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Funso Banjo posted:

Glee: American Gods would suck.

American Gods, the Broadway show episode would rock.

I hate musicals so much that might be the one thing that would ruin the show for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Toplowtech posted:

The god of thieves and merchants you say? :smuggo:

Still applies to the American medical industry. :smaug:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Well how does it relate to flower delivery, Mr. Smart Guy?

I guess their prices are kinda high, but that sorta comes with the territory

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I cross-genre modern musical of American Gods would be dope.

Like Media's song woud be pop, the internet kid would be dubstep, Vulcan would be 80s metal, Mad Sweeney would be Celtic rock, Wednesday would be like George Thorogood and Johnny Cash and such.

It would be cool to actually represent a broad range of musical genres in one production in a way that serves the story.

And old gods would also have bits where they evoke traditional music from their respective cultures as part of their coming to America stories.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Snak posted:

the internet kid would be dubstep

Too appropriate, ha. Some garbage like Excision.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Easter would be Britney or Dusty Springfield

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

DoctorGonzo posted:

Easter would be Britney or Dusty Springfield

I'm surprised they didn't sneak a little Rite of Spring in the show tbh

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm surprised they didn't sneak a little Rite of Spring in the show tbh

Wagner or gtfo

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.

Crow Jane posted:

I read a Christopher Pike book in like fifth grade that was about Greek goddesses possessing a couple modern day girls, or something? One of them tried to kill the other by putting ground up glass in hamburger meat, because nineties tween girl lit was :stare:

Immortal, right? I think that was one of the first Pike books I read as a kid. Lotta stone cold death going on in his books, even after he got all New Age.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

right to bear karma posted:

Immortal, right? I think that was one of the first Pike books I read as a kid. Lotta stone cold death going on in his books, even after he got all New Age.

I think so, though they all kinda blended together into a blur of dramatic teenage murders after a while. My school banned them after a couple kids tried to use them for book reports and the teachers realized how insanely violent and smutty they were, and pulled them from all the classroom and library shelves :v:

Jokes on them, I'd already read em all by then :smugbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Technical Boy's favorite band is quite obviously brokNcyde

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Wednesday's gotta be Immigrant's Song. :colbert:

Dingis
Oct 4, 2002

It's going to kill us with its awesome Avatar powers!

jng2058 posted:

Maybe he can modernize a bit & go with the 3 Inches of Blood cover. They even look like Vikings.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqOukX1roHQ

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Wow, that was a giant pile of poo poo.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When i think of Odin i think of a supermodel, cgi tatoos and cgi no eye

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GonSmithe posted:

Wow, that was a giant pile of poo poo.

I'm the Viking in a Cardigan.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I never understood why that show got good ratings from anyone but trenchcoated swedes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That show fell off a cliff, they had some pretty rad, subtler shots of Odin in the very first episode.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Snak posted:

His Dark Materials is more or less about scientists learning to harness spiritual connections for power.

Max Gladstone's Craft series is similar, except it's lawyers instead of scientists.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Fun fact: Essie was also the Mary to Jesus Prime

Come on, nobody?? :smith:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't get it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Me neither

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

:same:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

The actress that played the older Essie is the same actress who played Faraday's mother on LOST

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Good catch.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

So please forgive me if someone has already covered this, but isn't killing Vulcan entirely pointless? He's still worshiped constantly, so he'll bounce straight back into existence?

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

The Rabbi T. White posted:

So please forgive me if someone has already covered this, but isn't killing Vulcan entirely pointless? He's still worshiped constantly, so he'll bounce straight back into existence?

Maybe? The rules around God death are unknown.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Odin cursed him and everything he did

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

The Rabbi T. White posted:

No, something like him may be back, but he won't be. Not unless the God is traditionally sacrificed does it come back that soon. At least that's how I think they are going to play it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The technical kid wouldn't be dubstep. His music would be vaporwave.

Also God death is kind of unknown. The only sure kill is to be forgotten, and the old gods, as we've seen, have been ongoing onto to any belief and kind of subverting any modern belief however they can. Vulcan may come back, but he'd likely be very different, and much more focused on the firepower and murder or maybe even being a full blown God of firearms. Something will fill the void.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Vulcan, God of Rocketry :science:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Crow Jane posted:

I think so, though they all kinda blended together into a blur of dramatic teenage murders after a while. My school banned them after a couple kids tried to use them for book reports and the teachers realized how insanely violent and smutty they were, and pulled them from all the classroom and library shelves :v:

Jokes on them, I'd already read em all by then :smugbert:

I was such a dumb oblivious kid in middle school. It never occurred to me how hosed up those books were until I looked up at my parents faces after I finished reading my book report to them. It was the one where the high school perv timed a camera to take pics of the girls locker room shower and accidentally took pictures of a murder. Also cocaine was involved somehow.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 26, 2017

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Audrey's actress is one of the leads on Netflix's new series Glow.

She also plays a character whose husband cheats on her with her best friend, and she nails the performance yet again.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Beefeater1980 posted:

I just want to take a moment to point out again how incredibly good and full of detail the credits sequence is. The camera in the eye of the cherub; the microphone in the ninefold candle; the drugs for the Buddha and the mixed prayer wheel / needles, all resolving ultimately into a totem pole.

It's really loving good is what I'm saying.

The credit sequence is absolutely incredible. Figuring out all the references as the series goes on has been a fun metagame.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

jng2058 posted:

The title track really reminds me of the Karen O/Trent Reznor version from Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

jng2058 posted:

After they used it in the trailers for Thor: Ragnarok, I doubt anyone else is going to touch it for a while.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

biracial bear for uncut posted:

After they used it in the trailers for Thor: Ragnarok, I doubt anyone else is going to touch it for a while.

*except for the opening theme for American Gods

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

SpookyLizard posted:

The technical kid wouldn't be dubstep. His music would be vaporwave.

Also God death is kind of unknown. The only sure kill is to be forgotten, and the old gods, as we've seen, have been ongoing onto to any belief and kind of subverting any modern belief however they can. Vulcan may come back, but he'd likely be very different, and much more focused on the firepower and murder or maybe even being a full blown God of firearms. Something will fill the void.

This 4chan kid I used to go to school with was extremely into Tyler The Creator so i'm assuming technical kid is as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

vermin posted:

*except for the opening theme for American Gods

I'm talking about the actual song, not an "inspired by" or tribute/cover rendition.