Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Although I suspect this particular eternal darkness that Anubis has waiting for her will come with an overpowering stench of bug spray...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Locked-in Syndrome is basically everyone's worst nightmare about death: that we will be eternally aware of the absence of everything.

After a few million years you'd probably get used to it. Or your consciousness would just shut down. Or give you endless lucid dreams.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

precision posted:

After a few million years you'd probably get used to it. Or your consciousness would just shut down. Or give you endless lucid dreams.

That's assuming that the metaphysics of death work like the mortal world. It could be a novel experience forever.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

McSpanky posted:

That's assuming that the metaphysics of death work like the mortal world. It could be a novel experience forever.

It turns out that "Hell is other people" was wildly inaccurate.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Getting caught up on this. As soon as I saw the road to Vulcan I said "There is no road in Virginia that looks like that." But Vulcan, Virginia does look exactly like the main street of a small Virginia town.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

precision posted:

It turns out that "Hell is other people" was wildly inaccurate.

Never said she'd be alone in the darkness though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I distinctly got the impression she was just literally gonna be trapped in the hot tub with the cover on choking on bug spray forever.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

bewilderment posted:

That's not how Gaiman-ish gods tend to work (aside from the Endless, who are in a different series entirely and operate on very different rules).

In her TV show incarnation, Media (mostly) is an agglomeration of celebrity-worship. Buying every copy of a gossip mag as soon as it comes out is a sacrifice of money to Media - minuscule, but in enormous amounts, as potent as a live sacrifice. Watching the same news channel, every day, at the same time. People who wait in line for hours for a midnight movie release.
If we're delving into the metaphysics of it, even those things are "live sacrifices," in that someone had to spend time and energy that they'll never get back, either directly or through their labour.

I expect she gets nothing when a company buys millions of its own books to propel a product onto the bestseller lists.

Mierenneuker posted:

Speaking of addicts, how would the god of drugs look like? We see a Buddha and Ganesha surrounded by them in the intro, but I can't help imagine some kind of hippie/grunge hybrid.
The bestselling and most lethal recreational drugs are alcohol and tobacco, so I'd expect a cigar-chewing Altria executive rather than, like, old hippie Jerry Horne.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 19, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Halloween Jack posted:

I expect she gets nothing when a company buys millions of its own books to propel a product onto the bestseller lists.

Don't be silly, what kind of insane people would do that?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Snak posted:

I distinctly got the impression she was just literally gonna be trapped in the hot tub with the cover on choking on bug spray forever.

Minus the tub lights, though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Duh cause there's no electricity in the middle of the desert :science:

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Yeah.

She could have fireflies, but the bug spray would kill them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Caufman posted:

Minus the tub lights, though.

I'd take eternal darkness over eternally seeing the interior of your prison. At least you can hallucinate in darkness.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
What if you couldn't see where you were and kept bumping your head against the sides of the tub? Pretty awful eternity, that.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

One of my favorite moments in the last episode was when Bilquis walked up to Tech Boy and started rubbing up on him and he reacted like a scared Goon and had no idea what to do. Pretty much exactly how you'd expect an internet nerd to react.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

KilGrey posted:

One of my favorite moments in the last episode was when Bilquis walked up to Tech Boy and started rubbing up on him and he reacted like a scared Goon and had no idea what to do. Pretty much exactly how you'd expect an internet nerd to react.

I took that to be a play on the old cyberpunk trope of bleeding edge tech boys having a snobbish disdain for "meatspace"

Didn't he make some snarky comment about how that wouldn't work on him?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

precision posted:

"meatspace"

Didn't know real life needed a different moniker but that's loving sad.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Johnny Truant posted:

You'll only find that word in sci-fi books from the 80s/90s and whenever a procedural TV show tries to write some sort of hacker nerd.

"We were unable to find the hacker in cyber space because they traced our IP and backdoored it into a 0 TTL packet, we'll have to find this person in meatspace."

"Meatspace?"

"It's what hackers call the real world. We should start looking at the Space Bar, it's a local hacker bar."

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 23, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Johnny Truant posted:

have you ever met a hacker from the 90s?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Didn't he tell her he had no interest in ending up in her [really cleaver word for vagina dimension]?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

counterfeitsaint posted:

Didn't he tell her he had no interest in ending up in her [really cleaver word for vagina dimension]?

That's the line I was thinking of, yeah. "Vaginebula"

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

precision posted:

I took that to be a play on the old cyberpunk trope of bleeding edge tech boys having a snobbish disdain for "meatspace"

Didn't he make some snarky comment about how that wouldn't work on him?

I took it as him trying to cover for reacting like a virgin by saying he was too cool for her tricks to work. I can see your read on it too though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also as a god, he probably knows Bilquis's deal...

edit: V that's what I'm saying...

Snak fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 24, 2017

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Everyone she fucks ends up devoured, him saying nah you're not gonna devour me seems like a fair response.

I mean, I know goons are desperately looking for someone on screen they can relate to, but you might be reaching a bit too much in this case.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Everyone she fucks ends up devoured, him saying nah you're not gonna devour me seems like a fair response.

I mean, I know goons are desperately looking for someone on screen they can relate to, but you might be reaching a bit too much in this case.

I think his final calculated thought was that he didn't want to get eaten, but his initial response to touch was goony.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Truant posted:

quit being a child and read some real literature 80's era pulp sci-fi

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Ohh, I like that term, meatspace. Reminds me of True Detective season 1, Rusty saying "The hubris it must take to yank a soul out of non existence into this meat. And to force a life into this thresher."

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Like pulp scifi and cyberpunk can't be literature.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
In tangentially related news they announced that David Tennant will be playing Crowley and Michael Sheen will be playing Aziraphale in Amazon's adaptation of Good Omens next year.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

In tangentially related news they announced that David Tennant will be playing Crowley and Michael Sheen will be playing Aziraphale in Amazon's adaptation of Good Omens next year.

Crossing my fingers that this will also be good.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SpookyLizard posted:

Like pulp scifi and cyberpunk can't be literature.

Consider Plebes

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bilquis is the worst character on this show

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Bilquis has the most memorable scene in the series. The next time my brain is flooded with DMT, I can only hope to be swallowed up by a cosmic vagina.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah Bilquis is cool and weird

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

DoctorGonzo posted:

Bilquis is the worst character on this show

Bilquis is the second best character on the show after Anansi.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I know a lot of people here were big fans of Dead Wife and Leprechaun, but I was a huge fan of Cook's Cuckqueen and Zombie Whore.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Bilquis is the second best character on the show after Anansi.

Is it too premature to say that Anansi is my second favourite TV character after Garak?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So... Kristen Chenoworth is 4'11"

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

So... Kristen Chenoworth is 4'11"

That seems accurate, she is a tiny lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

hangedman1984 posted:

That seems accurate, she is a tiny lady.

It's really obvious on pushing daisies with the giant of a lead.