Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Stardust was really fun when I saw it as kid, is it actually bad?

Stardust is ok. It's very different from the book, which tends to happen with adaptations. There's a lot of stuff that got left out in the movie. If you go in expecting a recreation of the book, you're going to be unhappy with it. But it's a nice little fantasy family movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
It's been literally years since I read American Gods, so watching the show so far is kind of like 'oh yeah!! I remember that!' and trying to remember what comes next. I'm both shocked and happy they kept the Bilquis scene as is, and I'm excited that the female characters will have more of a role. Audrey was such a small part in the book, and I really loved what they did with her in this episode. She was SO good. I also super love Shadow's casting. I never had a clear picture of him (or any of the characters honestly) while reading, and Ricky Whittle just feels RIGHT now.

Part of me thought they'd skimp on the Coming to America/Somewhere in America bits, and I'm really really happy to see that they're in. Those were some of my favorite parts of the book. I see from the cast list that Salim and the Jinn are in for three (!!!) episodes, so I'm excited for that. It also seems like this season is really only going to be barely the first part, since I don't see Sam or Hinzelmann on the list. Starting a second season in that part of the book sounds good to me. (sorry, sorry, book discussion, I know)

Anyway, I hope they end up doing Anansi Boys/Monarch of the Glen eventually. Anansi Boys is probably my favorite Gaiman book, so I have hopes. Part of me wants to go ahead and reread everything, but I also kind of want to be in the dark(ish) for the rest of the season.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Cojawfee posted:

I forgot to mention I was cracking up when that guy gets in the ice cream truck to valet park it.

I fuckin loved this. This series has been really good at having these little comedy moments in the background.

Trillhouse posted:

So what happens on like, Indian Reservations? Since they don't worship Easter and have their own rituals and sets of gods, wouldn't their agriculture be fine?

And seeing this wouldn't everyone be like "Oh wow looks like the Navajos (or whichever tribe) had the right idea all along. C U L8R Ostara."?

We might see more of native gods in the next season, I'm guessing. Or, hoping. I'm really interested to see where this is gonna go.

pr0p posted:

So Wednesday is the bad guy, right? Machinated everything that has gone wrong in Shadow's life for 3 years, framing people for murder and using that information to talk Easter into destroying humanities food sources? Bad guys are not wrong, they are just assholes, basically?

They're all bad, dogg. I don't think there are good guys. There's just Side A and Side B.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd say Anubis is a pretty chill God, all things considered. The Zorya Sisters, too.

Ah yeah, you have a point. Jaquel and Ibis are pretty chill and I really hope we see more of the both of them. I super dig their dynamic. Same with the sisters.