Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

that opening credits bit is equal parts intriguing and disorienting. There's too many shadows and not enough time between the shots to properly identify what it is you're looking at, leaving you with an idea of the thing rather than the thing itself.

Appropriately I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Aardark posted:

Oh dear! I expect this series will go to poo poo in about three episodes.

IDK I trust Gaiman to keep a close eye on the screenplay throughout. Additionally I think that part of the issue is that the show is still trying to find its tone.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

a kitten posted:

Is it really synthetic when there seemed to be an actual frog in the drat thing?

what if the frog is synthetic?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Anyone among the book readers who tried picking up coin tricks after reading American Gods?

I should try learning those tricks again properly.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I wonder what the author's definition of 'explicit' is then.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

It's trivial and I shouldn't get hung up on it, but why the hell was Anansi wearing a modern suit?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

dead comedy forums posted:

this episode had a fuckton of awesome but there isn't enough praise for zorya "learning is beneath me" vechernjaja (thanks wikipedia) taking down a bottle of vodka like a boss and her sister asking her to tell Shadow's fortune :buddy:

goddamn this episode owned, whenever I think "hell yea that was awesome" I remember three more moments

Family is who you survive with, if you need to survive. Even if you do not like them.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

a kitten posted:

01E3 a summary by Shadow Moon

Huh, I didn't notice wednesday carefully avoiding being seen by the cameras on first viewing. Neat little detail.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Desperado Bones posted:

I just want to know if we got our weekly penis. Did we?

(I'll watch it later, show is so good!)

now that you mention it, I don't think so?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

.Z. posted:

I wonder if we will get Media being Agent Scully Mulder for that bit.

FTFY :colbert:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

... that episode felt a bit ... disjointed?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

episode 6 ending spoilers: was there anything different visually in the second metal -> bullets montage that wasn't there in the first one? The whole cursed + bullets + repeat montage aspect made me think there'd be something different in the second scene or whatever but it looked like a copy-paste from the first scene? Was the only point then that Vulcan was being disposed of in the same way his human sacrifices had been?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I want more calculus lessons from Sweeney.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I seeeeee.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

:o

https://twitter.com/MousaKraish/status/871523002533371904

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

precision posted:

I'll be very disappointed if we don't get to see all the tacky "gods" like Santa Claus. Also, where's Cupid drat it?

Sweeney's all the cupid I'll ever need.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

apparently Sweeney was at some point to be played by Sean Harris, and I just can't see it. Maybe I haven't seen the right Harris movies. Schreiber's Sweeney is best Sweeney.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

right to bear karma posted:

Anytime I see Ian McShane in anything, I just think of Swearengen and his EB Farnum impression.

You can't just drop that here and leave it at that!

Mandatory link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSchfzne9HU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Wednesday's loving grin when he drives over the bunnies was wonderful. Bastard's having the time of his life.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I just want to say that the faceless goons' moves were adorable.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

biracial bear for uncut posted:

"Jesus Prime" in the credits :lol:.

Who decides to get dead-drunk in on the pool.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Pictured: a murder of Jesusi

https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/876612751313051648

also lol:

https://twitter.com/BruceJLangley/status/876619802051203072

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

wait, was there a dick on screen this episode? Other than technical boy I mean?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Skizzzer posted:

i'm not able to find it, but can anyone point me to the song that was playing when media's croonies were dancing?

https://open.spotify.com/track/7sL8hp9JVdWrvYiJJptZ7p

original song, "they are here finale". (the part of the dance starts at 2 minutes in)

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 19, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

etalian posted:

It was sacrificing Mr Worlds minions and have Ostara taking away spring was a way to show the new gods the olds gods still have power.

and that their power is of a different class than "we'll market a new belief" or magically activate a fax gathering dust somewhere.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

McSpanky posted:

Yeah I've been thinking about that too, the dominions of the new gods are the dominions of man. Technology, expression, communication, things made by people and on which the gods rely not just to exist via belief but by their very essence. They may be extremely powerful owing to the quantity of worship, but it's implied worship, and thus their power is largely implied. The old gods may be few and with few worshippers, but their worshippers believe directly in them and believe that they control some aspect of reality itself. Thus even one true believer can sustain them and fuel outright miracles.

That said, the New Gods make some amazing powerpoint presentations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

In grade school we went to see a puppet show about Anansi in the local theater. It was by white people for white people (I guess), so I have no idea how that came to happen but little me digged it.

It was somewhat less violent than the show though. I believe it mainly involved Anansi tricking other, dumb animals. It was like an African version of Reynard the Fox.

that's kind of what gaiman's book anansi boys has - the main plot is a modern setting, but there's lots of little folklore vignettes of how Anansi tricks Tiger or Rabbit or some other animal for shits and giggles.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

she is an old god given a fix-er-upper by the new gods

(there should be a god of plastic surgery and facepaints)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm cautiously optimistic, for all the back-stage drama that occurred I still think there is enough drive to keep this train on the tracks.

I do hope they can keep the cinematic style because some of those shots like the snow scene or the lynching/massacre were stylish as gently caress.

And of course, more bad luck-leprechaun slapstick.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it was a good first season, shame about the egos in charge.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

aaaannd it's region-locked. I'm assuming it's the same trailer as this alternative source?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjMKmB3TcJA

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Oasx posted:

The scene with the gods was really cool, but I could have done without dead wife joining the main story, her and mad sweeney just aren't interesting.

someone's due for a stoning

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

precision posted:

I think most of his stuff has decent endings, especially Stardust and The Ocean at the End of the Lane

Though I'm realizing right this moment that I can't recall how Neverwhere ends at all

iirc the villain is vanquished, the hero male protagonist is given his normal life back, discovers he's now bored with normal life, goes to live in the magical land.

double nine fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I think management knows they hosed up by tinkering too much with the show, so now they're going to try tinkering some more to get back the previous ratings.